Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fluff Forevermore ❯ Voldemort Returns ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: If I owned Yu Yu Hakusho, do you really think I'd be writing fanfics about my own famous characters? Well, yeah, probably, but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho.
“How are you gonna fight Voldemort?” Ron asked.
“Yeah, he's a really powerful wizard, and he's backed by evil. Even Dumbledore can't hope to defeat him anymore,” Harry said. “So how will you four?”
“Easy. We'll launch an all-out attack,” Yusuke said. “No one's ever beaten us before when we've fought as a team.”
“But what if Voldemort is stronger than anyone else?”
“We'll beat him,” Hiei said firmly.
“I have a question,” Hermione said. “How are you going to fight him without anyone knowing about it?”
“I don't think we have that choice,” Kuwabara said. “We have to kill him when and where he decides to show up.”
“Which won't make Koenma happy,” Yusuke said with a sudden grin.
“I don't get it!” Harry said. “How can you be so calm about this?”
“Practice,” Yusuke said, shrugging. “I panicked before a fight once, and I swore never to do it again after the experience.”
It was while they were all chuckling at this that Hiei felt it.
A peculiar lurch in his stomach, a strange acceleration in his heart rate, a sudden tightening in his throat. His hands began to shake uncontrollably, and he dropped his fork.
“Hiei? Hiei, what's wrong?”
Yusuke voice echoed in his head, but he hardly registered it beyond his sudden, untraceable fear. He immediately opened his link with Kurama. /Kurama, are you all right/
No answer for a moment. Then…Hiei…he's back…help…he's going to do it again…Hiei felt a sudden sharp pain in his own jaw, and Kurama fell silent.
Hiei closed off the link and leapt up, panic clouding his vision. Ignoring his friends' exclamations and the stares of all the teachers and students, he raced out of the hall and flitted toward the dormitory, his throat tight with unshed tears.
When Yusuke, Kuwabara, Yukina, Ron, Harry, and Hermione ran into the room a couple of minutes later, they found Hiei and Kurama on the bed. Kurama was missing his shirt, and he had curled up in Hiei's arms, head buried in the fire demon's chest. His shoulders shook with sobs. Hiei was holding the kitsune tightly, whispering to him in Japanese.
Slowly, everyone backed out and went to the common room to wait for everyone to come back so that they could begin to field the hundreds of inevitable questions.
“How is he?”
Hiei turned to see Yusuke standing in the doorway. “He's asleep,” he reported. He held Kurama's hand tightly, and as he spoke, his hand brushed the kitsune's hair away from his face.
“Voldemort…did he hurt him?” Yusuke asked.
“No. I got here in time. But it was close. He was going to…to…” Hiei's throat closed, and he blinked, hard.
Yusuke put a hand on his shoulder. “It's all right, Hiei. No one will hold it against you.”
Hiei didn't say anything, but he stopped blinking. “Are all the ningen down there?”
“Every single Gryffindor student, according to Hermione.”
“Go down there and make sure each and every one of them knows that if any stories about him start, I will personally track down whoever started it and make sure that their death is very slow and painful, and that no bodies will ever be found. Tell them to spread the word around the school.”
“Will do,” Yusuke said, saluting.
As he left, quiet, muffled sobs echoed from the room.
“I don't know if I can do it, Hiei,” Kurama said quietly. “I don't know if I can fight.”
Hiei pulled him to his chest and hugged him. “Yes, you can. That bastard has no power over you unless you let him. Besides, you have me. Together, we're stronger than this.”
“I hope so.”
“Well, I know so.”
A comfortable silence fell between them. Hiei began to run his fingers absently through Kurama's hair, an act that Kurama always loved, trying to get the still-tense fox to relax. Funny how he doesn't resent such close physical contact…the Jaganshi thought. But he wasn't complaining. If Kurama had been afraid of his touch, he didn't think he'd be able to stand it.
“Hiei?”
“Hm?”
“Thank you. For stopping him.”
Hiei held him tighter. “You have no idea how scared I was when I felt you fear. I thought I'd be too late. I'm so glad I wasn't.”
“So am I, Hiei. So am I. How were you able to feel my fear, anyway? I thought we could only communicate thoughts.”
“It's simple. We're even closer than we were before you were taken prisoner. Our bond is strengthened.”
“Aishiteru, koibito.”
“Me, too.”
“You love you too?”
“Shut up.”
“Morning, Kurama. Er…how are you feeling?”
Kurama smiled at the nervous-looking Harry. “Don't look so awkward. I won't break.”
“You sure? `Cause…”
“Yes. Hiei helped me see that I'm stronger than this. And while I can't tell you I'm fine, I can say that I will be. So which one told you to wait and `subtly' find out how I am after last night?”
Harry looked embarrassed. “Is it that obvious?” When Kurama nodded, Harry said, “Hermione. She was worried, and thought I would be the best one to try and talk to you.”
“How thoughtful. But I don't need to talk. I know you would understand better than most, but…”
“But you aren't comfortable talking about it with anyone other than that boyfriend of yours.”
“Uh…yeah, pretty much. I'm sorry.”
“Don't worry about it. I understand. Where is he, anyway?”
“Upstairs sending a letter to Koenma. He's even more irate than he was before.” Kurama smiled fondly. “You go ahead. Tell the hoards that I'll be fine and there's no need to ask.”
“But there aren't any hoards,” Harry told him.
“What? Why? Not that I'm not relieved, but Yusuke was sure there would be…”
“Hiei didn't tell you? He threatened the whole school into silence. You'll get a few looks, but nothing more. He's got them cowed. Beats me how he does it.”
Kurama laughed out loud, a sound that caused Harry to smile. “I should have known!”
“I can't believe term's almost over,” Hermione said.
“Yeah, I know,” Harry said gloomily, stabbing at his pork chop.
“What's the matter?” Kuwabara asked.
“He always gets moody when the end of the year gets close,” Ron explained. “He hates going home.”
“I hate the Dursleys,” Harry said.
“Why?”
“Because they are the reflection of all that is evil!”
“Hey, they never threw you off the cliff,” Hiei reminded him.
“Yeah, but they've wanted to more than once,” Harry said. He stared miserably into his cup of water for a moment. “All right, we need to change the subject. When do you think Voldemort will turn up?”
“We have no idea. We, conveniently, got zero details in the note,” Yusuke said darkly. “It could be any time.”
“I just hope we don't have to fight him in the school. That could really do some damage,” Kurama said.
“Oh? Like what?” Ron asked with interest.
“You don't wanna go there,” Yusuke said. “But it won't be pretty.”
“I already wrote Koenma, asking for actual details,” Hiei informed them.
“I assume you asked politely,” Kurama told him mildly.
“Of course,” Hiei scoffed. At Kurama's look, he said, “Well, I tried. I didn't threaten him.” Kurama didn't say anything, just kept looking at him. “Okay, okay, I threatened him once!”
Kurama smiled. “At least you tried.” He was reaching out to put an arm around Hiei when he stiffened, eyes wide.
“Fox? What's wrong?” Hiei asked, concerned. “Fox?”
Kurama's voice shook as he spoke. “He's close.”
“What?”
“He's close!” Kurama repeated.
“Voldemort,” Hiei said quietly.
“I'll tell Dumbledore,” Harry said, jumping up.
“He can't do anything, you said so yourself,” Yusuke said.
“No, but it's his school. He should know.”
As he ran off, Kuwabara asked, “How do you know?”
“I can just feel it, all right?” Kurama snapped. “He's close, and he's eager to spill our blood.”
“Close like how close?” Yusuke asked.
“Like out on the grounds close,” Kurama said.
“VOLDEMORT IS ON THE GROUNDS!” Ron shouted.
“RON!” Hermione said angrily, as heads turned all over the place. “YOU JUST INFORMED HALF THE SCHOOL TO THAT FACT!”
And sure enough, many people who had heard were quickly passing the word along. Some people began to talk very loudly, the whole crowd slowly grew more frightened, and within a few minutes, pandemonium reigned. Plates, forks, spoons, knives, cups, food and humans went flying as people pushed away from the table and rushed for the door.
“SILENCE!” A loud, firm voice rang over the frantic crowd. As one, the mass of students turned toward their headmaster, who was standing, his face pale and grim. “Everyone will please not panic. All will be well. We have people properly trained to deal with this at any moment, and they will make certain that you are safe. However, as a precaution, no student is allowed to leave this hall until the matter is dealt with.” As he spoke, he gave the Tentei a look that said, What are you waiting for? GO!
Hiei took Kurama's hand and gave him a look that instantly conveyed his unspoken question. Kurama nodded, took Hiei's hand, and ran with him toward the doors, Yusuke and Kuwabara following closely behind, just before Harry, Hermione, and Ron.
“Hey, Dumbledore said no one can leave!” Someone protested as the group shoved past. They ignored him and continued to wok their way through the mob and out of the hall toward the huge double doors that opened onto the grounds.
They didn't make it.
They were just about there when the doors burst open with an ear-ringing crash that shook the school. Two shadows stood in the doorway, framed against the sun's brightness.
The two figures stepped forward, and one raised a hand. Slowly, the doors closed with a dull thud.
“Drama freak,” Hiei muttered.
“So we meet again,” the man in front said. “And this time, it is to settle all these messy little problems.”
“Stop talking and fight!” Yusuke said angrily.
“Eager, Yusuke?”
“Urameshi,” Yusuke spat. “Or better yet, just don't talk to me at all. And yes, we're eager to kill you.”
“As am I, boy. As am I. But before we begin, I have a small surprise for the Forbidden Child. Come forward,” commanded, and the figure behind him stepped up to his side.
“Remove your hood.”
It was as he said this that the whole school suddenly came crashing out of the Great Hall, having finally decided to ignore Dumbledore's instructions. Upon actually seeing Voldemort, though, their courage failed and they all huddled together in fright.
Voldemort gave them all an amused glance—if such a man can feel amusement, which is doubtful. “All of you, to the top of the stairs. Now,” he said, and Kurama longed to crush him, and the laughter in his eyes, as all the students nearly fell over themselves to obey. He lifted the want he held, and one of the people on the outer edge of the group of hundreds collapsed without a sound. Screams sounded, and Hiei roared in rage as Ron, Harry and Hermione ran over to the fallen boy. Ron picked him up and carried him to everyone else.
Once they all managed to get to the top of the stairs and huddle together to watch in horrified fascination, Voldemort nodded, and the person with him lifted his hood and threw it back.
Hiei gasped and would have collapsed if Kurama hadn't held him steady. Face horribly pale, the Jaganshi stared at Voldemort's companion.
“Mukuro.”
Well, this fic is drawing to a close. I foresee maybe two chapters left. What will I do after I finish the Series That Swallows My Life? Get started on the other fics I have in the works, I guess…I'll have to find a way to put shounen ai in them, since I have found that male/male relationships are really the only things that get me reviews…so, review, please! And if you can find the time, read and review my other new story, To Be Pure. No one ever reviews that one!
FireChibi: Thanks for the review! And yes, I do love fluff. I'm glad you guys don't think it's too much.
KyoHanna: Thanks for the review! Sorry it ended up taking so long, and there's really no excuse for that—I just couldn't seem to find the time! Thank you so much for the compliment on my description—that was always one thing I had trouble with. I've been working on it, and it's always nice to find out that your work has paid off, isn't it?
YokoYoukai: Yeah, Voldemort is an idiot, isn't he? Ah, well, what can you do? And what do you mean, eaten? That doesn't sound good…uh-oh…I'll have to figure that one out…hey, I have a question for you. Did you see the whole “Mukuro-on-Voldemort's-side” development coming a mile away? I was kinda hoping it would be a sorta-kinda-surprise but looking back, it was sort of cliché…but again, what can ya do? Thanks for the review!
MikaSamu: I love cliffes…sorry this chapter took so long to get up, and thanks for the review!
shiorifoxiesmom: Sweetish fluffy fluffishness! I love fluff…I live on Cloud Nine, which is very fluffy…thanks for the review and be sure and come back for more!
Jessica: Thanks for the review!
Amine: See, Kurama's fine…for now…thanks for the review, and please keep reading!
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” -Aesop