Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction / Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Reaper ❯ Memories; Ronak's New System ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Zoids.

This chapter is a little later than I wanted. You all know what happened at the end of the last chapter. This chapter picks up a few hours before the battle. The usual crowd is there, Zero, Marauders, Blitz, Flugal, and Blade teams are there. Kana shows up in this chapter, and says that she has left the Zenebas to continue training. The Raptor Zero designs itself a new, better, system. And a slight twist involving something from older chapters that has probably been forgotten. Keeping that in mind, enjoy the chapter.

" " speech

` ' thought

( ) author's notes

***** scene change

The Reaper

Chapter 20: Memories; Ronak's New System

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nate and Isalina stood in the hangar of the Whale King, now secured on the small island in the middle of the proposed battlefield. She was telling him how she could make the Liger Zero Panzer go faster. By removing the hybrid cannons from its shoulders, and replacing them with the Jager ion boosters, it should go faster. Nate had heard this from many people (as have I), and explained to her why it won't work.

"Isalina, boosters only work when the Zoid lifts its feet from the ground. Look," he said and switched on the main holo-screen. It showed four separate screens. One was of the Liger Zero, another the Schneider, the third, Jager, and the last one was of the Panzer.

"So, what's this supposed to prove?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Watch," he pressed a button, and the screens showed each Zoid moving at maximum speed. "The time when the boosters are actually working is when the Zoid is in the air. When its feet are on the ground, you don't see them skidding along, do you?"

"No."

The screens also had a speed indicator. For the Jager, it was 345kph; Schneider, 250kph; Liger Zero, 200kph; and Panzer, 50kph.

"The Panzer is too heavy, and unless its legs have a stride of much more than it is, boosters won't work. People only think that having boosters will make them go faster, and sacrificing the main weapon is not really a good idea," he said and the images disappeared. "Besides, the Panzer just isn't made for speed."

This was mainly for all you redundant people who didn't notice that nothing moves with its feet secured to the ground. I just wanted to make sure that everyone who reads this won't make that terrible mistake again. Just look at the Panzer, boxy, heavy armor, definitely not aerodynamic. Seriously, have you ever seen a Zoid skid along the ground with boosters. A booster works best when all four, or two, feet are off the ground. Of course the Zoid must be built for speed in the first place. Zoids such as the Gustav don't count, because it has wheels.

"Can we at least try?"

"No."

They left it at that. That battle was going to begin in a few hours, and Nate needed to prepare. The Sharks had the home field advantage; it had been years upon years since he battle underwater. But there was something else holding him back. Something he couldn't figure out. As soon as he would look at the water, he would have a memory flash of a glass corridor, underwater.

She left him alone and he began attaching the Raptor Zero Beta armor. I hadn't really specified a name, so I'm just going by the Greek numbers. The armor was blue in color, like a midnight blue, but darker. The wing pods were removed and replaced with two large dorsal fins. The armor segments for the tail were replaced with small, interlocking fins, making the tail like a large paddle; I guess…picture a crocodile's tail, and there you go. The scythe was replaced with something similar to a thresher shark's tail fin. A small fin on the bottom, while the top was a long, curved scythe; a slight upgrade from the plain blade. Jutting out laterally from the shoulders were small pectoral fins; made small for maneuverability.

The legs would be held tight against the body, only coming out quickly for an attack; the arms in the same fashion. The head armor was blue, with long blades protruding straight out from the sides. The underside of the head also held a blade. There were only a few range weapons; a gun on its underbelly, and two concealed rocket launchers. The flexor horns were not sacrificed, as they were part of a very powerful attack, which involved all the other fins and blades as well. What Nate was really looking forward to was firing the QPC, it had been a few months since he had the right opportunity to do so.

"You didn't have to be so hard on her," Mayuka said as she entered the hangar. "She had an idea and you just shot her down."

"So, she should have known by now that boosters only have an effect while the Zoid is in the air," he said as the grappler arms retracted to the high ceiling. "She's our daughter for Frena's sake."

Frena, Zian goddess of the hearth and household. I am aware that I am making the gods and goddesses up, but hey, there is no real history of Zi. So you can almost do whatever you want, almost.

"You could have at least humored her a bit and tried it out."

"But what's the point of trying something you know will fail?" he asked, knowing she was beat.

"I still say you didn't have to do what you did."

"It's ready," he said and the floor next to the Raptor opened, and the Blue Fury's new armor was raised. It was exactly like the Raptor, except that it was smaller, black, and gray-striped. Its called the Black Fury in this armor.

"It looks great, all nice and repaired from the last time I used it," she said, a wide grin on her face. The last time she used this armor, she was smashed against a rock on a lake bottom. Needless to say it was pretty banged up after that.

"Just watch your back this time," he said running a systems' check on the two armors. It took him a week to repair the damage done, and trust me, for him, that's a long time. "Where is she now?"

"Isalina said she was going out for a walk, she said she wanted to be left alone."

"Ah, to be young again," he said looking down at Mayuka.

She just grinned and slipped her arms around his neck, saying, "We still are."

*****

Underwater, only 500 miles from the Zero's current location, something was happening; an argument between Sigren and his second in command. The argument concerned the disappearance of their top pilot, Kana. They had no idea that she had snuck out, and took her Iron Saurer with her.

"I'm telling you sire, she's betrayed our cause," Mitcal said, slamming his fist down on the conference table.

"I refuse to believe that, a person like her would never do such a thing. Besides, where would she go, the Iron Saurer is now known all over the planet as a symbol of our attack," Sigren countered, making a fairly good point.

"Be that as it may, we can't rule out Tyran, if she goes to him, we may have to evacuate."

"We will not have to evacuate, he has no memories of when he was here."

"But the memories will resurface in time, and without Kana we have lost a major part of our plan."

"Are you a fool, what difference would having her make. Daken was unsuccessful in his assault, and all it did was make Tyran more vigilant. We have the information we need on the Raptor Zero. All we have to do is use its weaknesses to our advantage."

"But it doesn't have any weaknesses that we've found so far."

"There's still the Tegran Cannon," one of the council members said.

"That may be true, but we have found, through our scans, that the Raptor's body may absorb the blast and use it to increase its own strength," Mitcal said turning towards the councilman who interrupted.

"Yes, I read that report, you said the armor could prevent that," the councilman retorted.

"Be quiet Toka, and do not enter a conversation you don't understand," Sigren growled at Toka.

"Yes, sire," Toka said, and hung his head.

"There is still the X-18999 (does anyone know where that is from)," Mitcal said hopefully.

"And are you expecting to be the pilot, don't get your hopes up," Sigren had a malicious smile on his face.

*****

Isalina was walking around the small island that was to be the epicenter of her parents' battle. The island was close enough to the equator to be tropical, but still have some cold weather trees. Her thoughts left the coming battle, to how she could possibly be stupid enough to make that simple mistake. Besides, by removing the main gun would give the Panzer only one shot with Burning Bigbang. Once the missiles were gone, they were gone, but the energy for the Hybrid Cannons could be recharged over and over.

"What was that?" she said stopping dead in her tracks, trying to find the source of a sudden noise.

The bushes beside her rustled briefly, and she turned that way. Pushing the bushes aside she saw the black hair of her retreating stalker. Without really thinking she took off after this person. After barely thirty seconds of running she came upon a clearing, and in that clearing was an Iron Saurer. Before she could get a word out, a hand from behind covered her mouth, silencing her.

"You're Tyran's daughter, right?" asked a voice that almost tickled her ear. All Isalina could do at the moment was nod. "Good," the voice said, and hand covering her mouth was removed.

Isalina quickly jumped away from the person and turned to fight. What she saw was a girl who looked to be around her age. Her black hair falling just above her shoulders, her eyes were like endless pools of black. What she wore was a plain gray tank top, gray military pants, and large boots. Tied around her waist was the jacket to complete her uniform.

"Who are you?" Isalina asked looking the girl over.

"My name is Kana, I need to see your father right away," she said. "But it's not like I can just go right up to the Whale King and ring the doorbell with him." Her head jerked towards the Iron Saurer.

"I'm sure if you're with me, he won't mind," Isalina said with a wink.

Kana agreed and they proceeded back the way they came. In no time the two were on the beach next to the Whale King. The battle wasn't to start for another half-hour, so that gave them time to talk to Nate. What Isalina didn't know was that Nate had gotten some memories back, but didn't tell anyone. Isalina pulled out what looked like a remote for a car. Upon pressing it, a small door opened in the side of the carrier Zoid, and a set of stairs extended down to them.

When they reached the top they were in the vast cargo bay. At the opposite end from them they could see Nate and Mayuka. Not being the subtle type, Isalina grabbed Kana's arm and dragged her towards them.

"Hey, Dad, someone's here to see you!" she yelled.

"Kana," he said not even reaching for his caster. He remembered her telling him she was tired of Sigren's plan and was going to leave. "Why are you here?"

"I want you to keep training me," she said meekly, trying not to look him in the eye.

"Sure, I was wondering when you would show up."

"You mean your memories returned?" Mayuka asked.

"Yes, as Tyran I knew that somehow you would change me back, so I didn't report you Kana," he said smiling. "Now, since I'll be training you, how would you like to join the team."

"Really, you mean it?"

He just nodded.

"Where is your Iron Saurer?"

"Nate, there's no time, the battle is going to start soon," Mayuka said getting behind him and pushing him towards the Raptor.

"Geez May, you don't have to push."

A few minutes later the Raptor Zero Beta and the Black Fury were mobilized, and slowly made their way into the water. Once they were fully submerged, the judge capsule landed. Kana jumped slightly at it.

"Everyone jumps their first time seeing it," Isalina said as she and Kana entered the command room.

The other teams who I said were going to be there, aren't; they're all at the beach, watching the battle from one of the many boardwalk cafés. They felt it was best not to get in Nate's way this time. Besides, the Blitz team had a battle later that day in the area just beyond the beach. But enough about that.

The judge was raised from the large hole made in the beach and gave his opening statement.

"The area within a 10 mile radius is a designated Zoid battlefield. This zone is now restricted. Only competitors and personnel have authorized entry. Danger, all others must leave the area at once," he said turning side to side. "Area scanned. Battlefield set up. The Shark Team versus the Zeros team. Battlemode 0983. Ready…FIGHT!"

CLANG!

The battle was on.

From below the two War Sharks and a lone Hammerhead came with ramming speed. But the Raptor and the Fury were too maneuverable for them. The two dinosaurs split up; the War Sharks following Mayuka, and the Hammerhead following Nate.

The Hammerhead's torpedo tubes opened and launched a volley of micro torpedoes. The Raptor's tail whipped at them, sending three of them off-course by slicing the fourth one, causing a small shockwave. The other three spun out of control and eventually exploded.

With a small smile, Nate figured he should end this quick. If there were more than just these, like he knew there were, he could use both the QPC and the other undisclosed attack. He moved the Raptor forward the flexor horns extended to their fullest, about 30 meters long, exposing the struts that connected them. The fins all over its body began to extend, becoming 10 meters long, and turned themselves to sort of spiral around the main body and tail.

"Now, you'll see the ultimate attack of this armor," he said manipulating the controls to turn the Raptor into a barrel roll.

The roll became faster, and faster, and faster, till there was a massive swirl around the Raptor, and trailing behind it (I got this idea when I saw Pokemon the Movie 2000). Just the tips of the blades could be seen through the white water. Once it reached an optimum rotation, it charged for the Hammerhead. The pilot was too stunned to move, and the blades sliced off a whole side of the Zoid. Instantly large balloons sprung from the sides to lift the sinking fish to the surface.

With that done the whirl of water and blades vanished, and there was the Raptor, unscathed and triumphant. It turned its head upward, pointing the cannon towards the surface, but at a slight angle to avoid the damaged Hammerhead. The Quantum Particles gathered, completely uninhibited by the water. Nate fired the cannon.

On the surface the water began to boil, then a bulge began, and finally the water just ripped apart with the force of an F5 tornado. The blue beam lanced into the sky, if it hadn't been day, then the Tegran Satellite would have been right in its line of fire.

Mayuka was faring just as well as Nate. She looped, barrel rolled, slashed, and swam off, leaving one War Shark to float to the surface. She then turned to the other War Shark, which was not looking too confident anymore. It fired all its torpedoes at her, this was not what Mayuka expected. She could avoid most of them, but an estimated 15 percent would hit.

Then Kanor did something without Mayuka working the controls. She looped the Black Fury around, and grasped its own tail. With that done, she began to spin around rapidly. The force of this was effecting water on the surface. It started to sink down in to a whirlpool. Even with a massive wall of water as protection, Kanor did not stop spinning. The torpedoes bounced aimlessly off the whirlpool, and headed in different directions. Some were even sucked down to the seafloor with the current, exploding harmlessly.

Now that the threat was averted, Mayuka thanked her Zoid, and took hold of the controls. She charged for the now offenseless War Shark. She didn't know it still had defenses. An energy shield was put up, and that knocked Mayuka back a few meters, about 50. That didn't stop her though, she pushed for as much power as she could get. The flexor horns pointed forward, and slammed into the energy shield, and actually started breaking through it. When they were far enough in, the two horns whipped out to the side and curved back in to catch the shark on either sides of its head. Slowly the blades began pressing into the armor.

"Alright, I give," the pilot said, and dropped the energy shield. "There's no shame in being beaten by a girl."

The horns retracted, and flipped back into their position behind the head. The judge was signaling an end to the battle.

"The battle is over, the battle is over," he said waving his arms, "the winner is…the Zeros team!"

The two Zoids swam back to the island, leaving the lone War Shark to tend to its fallen companions. They reached the island just as the judge was leaving. The mouth opened and they began their ascent into the bowels of the carrier Zoid. Stopping on one spot, the floor beneath the Zoids began to glow, and the ceiling above them glowed as well. In seconds both Raptors were bone dry.

Nate jumped down first and said, "Great move May, or did Kanor do it?"

"Kanor, I gotta tell ya, she's gotten me out of more predicaments than I can count," she said smiling as she kissed her husband. You all have probably noticed I like big words.

"Where to now?" he asked.

*****

A hours later the Whale King was settled outside the boundaries of a new battlefield. This was set just beyond the beach, in an area half salt marsh, and half scrub desert. It was here that the Blitz team had its next battle. They were facing a Class-A team called the Kelver team. It was pretty much just one Elephander, piloted by Josh Kelver (you never told me your last name so I made one up). It was carried on a black Gustav, on two trailers because it's too big for one.

Nate couldn't figure out why Bit would accept a challenge from this person. It didn't seem that this was much of a fair fight between the Liger Zero X, and an Elephander. Unless he had upgraded his Zoid to a point where he figured it would be up to Bit's level. But, unfortunately, he had no idea what he was getting himself into.

He had to compliment the kid's guts though, even if he was dead meat.

The judge landed, and was raised above the wet ground as the crater filled with water.

"The area within a five mile radius is a designated Zoid battlefield. This zone is now restricted. Only competitors and personnel have authorized entry. Danger! All others must leave the area at once. Area scanned. Battlefield set up. Bit Cloud and Liger Zero X versus Joshua Kelver and Elephander. Battlemode 0992. Ready…FIGHT!"

The hover cargo opened and the Liger Zero X was launched. It didn't skid when it landed though, it ran towards the Elephander. Josh was charging his Plasma Particle Cannon, but by the time he fired it, Bit was already behind him.

"I'm gonna make this short," he said charging the back of his opponent.

"I really don't think you'll do much against this," Josh said and started his shield.

"Too easy!" Bit yelled and cut through the shield with his blades, slicing off the Elephander's back legs in the follow-through.

He thought he had won, but the Elephander's combat system wasn't frozen yet.

"Ha, take this!"

The claws on the trunk opened, and launched at Bit, connected by a thick cable. Bit was prepared for this, the blades stood straight up, and the lightening shield started. The Elephander's claw bounced harmlessly off it.

"EM lightening!"

The shield dropped and one blade stuck straight out to the side, aimed at the Elephander. It fired a bolt of lightening that disabled the Elephander's shield and struck it in the chest. That froze the system, and ended the battle.

"The battle is over, the battle is over. The winner is…Bit Cloud and Liger Zero X."

"Why do they even try?" Nate asked himself.

*****

Midnight, three days later

The hangar was empty except for the Zoids, and something was happening to the Raptor Zero. The cockpit lights began to glow, and the CAS was activated. From above the large circular containers descended. They opened to reveal the Beta armor, but they did not remove the Zero armor. Instead the blue armor components were absorbed into the white ones. The compartments turned and the one holding the Blazer armor was opened. As with the Beta before it, the Blazer was absorbed into the Zero armor.

The now empty containers retreated back into the ceiling, and a small light was flashing on the Raptor's console. I'm not going to tell you what it says until later. Well…maybe now, the light flashing says `MAS ACTIVATED'. There, try and guess what it means. Though it is kind of obvious.

*****

The next day was going smoothly. Everyone one the Whale King had gotten used to having two Zenebas onboard instead of just one. Kana had been made a part of the team officially, after having the cockpit of the Iron Saurer modified to accommodate her new Zoid gear. You know the little computer thing that holds the pilot's ID number, battle statistics, team affiliation, etc.; that's a Zoid gear. Something was bothering Nate though, and it had to do with the now empty CAS containers.

"I remember checking them just last night," he said jumping out of one of the containers. "Did, you see anything Ronak?"

The Zoid shrugged, or about as close to shrugging as it could get. He was about to ask why the Organoid was being so quiet when Mayuka came in.

"Nate, you know how you said your arm felt weird?" she asked holding an x-ray sheet in front of her.

"Yeah, so, I probably just knocked my funny bone," he said and took the x-ray from her. His eyes widened at what he saw. The condensed CPC was still inside his arm, nestled between the radius and the ulna. I'm sure all of you forgot about it, so here's a wake-up call.

"I did the same thing," she said.

"Why hadn't I noticed it before?"

"My guess is that you probably forgot about it when Isalina was born."

"I must have never taken it out, and when my arms were healed, it was left behind," he said looking at his arm. `It might come in handy sometime.'

TBC

There, it's finally done, I hope you all like it. Next chapter, just to make people happy, I'll have a rematch between the Zeros and Blitz teams. I forgot to tell you that Brad and Naomi joined the Blitz team, mainly for Naomi to snipe with the Snipe Master. She still has her Gun Sniper, just in case it's needed. This will work out good in the next chapter when the two teams go three on three. That's all, and a new Zoid emerges, the X-18999, AKA Omegasaurer. You do not want to miss the next chapter…oh…wait, you have no real choice in the matter. You have to read it. As always read and review.