Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Trip towards Destiny ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Brad was usually the only one up at dawn, but this time he was joined by Bit. Naomi walked in soon after that and interrupted the two warriors' conversation.

"We can get going whenever you're ready, Brad. Nice seeing you again, Bit." The Red Comet winked and gave him her famous smile. Bit said goodbye but didn't dare say anything else in front of Brad's watchful ice blue eyes.

"I heard about your invitation to the Guardian Force. I guess I should be congratulating you." Brad offered him a cup of coffee and Bit accepted.

"I haven't been accepted, yet. Besides, even if I was accepted, it doesn't mean I have to stick around there. I've never been much for the military."

"Then, why go?" When Bit didn't answer immediately, Brad added, "Is it because of Leena?"

Bit didn't know what to say, but he had to think of something fast. "It's because of the Berserk Fury."

Brad nearly choked, "What do you mean?"

"Liger and I may have defeated Vega and Fury, but it doesn't mean it's completely over. His Zoid is an Ultimate X, also. It's probably recovering right now and growing stronger. I want to be ready to battle it again, so I thought the Guardian Force could help."

"What can they do?"

"Push me to be the ultimate pilot, and push the Liger to become the ultimate Zoid."

Jamie had talked to Brad about noticing something different with Bit. He hadn't thought of anything at the time to make him think that Bit had changed, but now he did notice something different. Bit didn't seem nearly as cocky as he used to be, and he took his piloting skills seriously. It looked like Bit had finally grown up.

"Do what you have to do. At the next Royal Cup, I expect a real challenge."

"You'll get one." Bit and Brad punched hands as Brad got up to join Naomi. Leon walked in and said goodbye to both his former partners.

"I thought you would have left by now. You sounded like you were eager to go, yesterday."

Bit looked at the new leader of the Blitz team. "I gotta ask you a question that's been bugging me, Leon. Why would you push me to do this, and not even go yourself?"

Leon was surprised by his question, "What's it matter if I don't go?"

"You just want to hear me say that you're a good pilot. You understand the relationship between a Zoid and his pilot, and the limitless potential that the two can have together. Why wouldn't you go?"

Leon couldn't tell Bit that the reason he wasn't going was because of him. He had nothing against Bit, but he knew that him and Leena needed to work out whatever it was that kept them apart. If they were meant to be together, they would find out at the trials for the Guardian Force.

"There's a lot of work to do around here. I'll be leaving myself for a while to recruit for the Blitz team. If you and Leena decide to stay away, then it looks like I have a few places to fill."

"I didn't know you were that eager to get rid of me."

"I'm eager to see what you and the Liger Zero can do."

Bit smiled but thought, "I wonder what you're really up to, Leon."

As Bit and the Liger were walking out of the hangar, they turned to see Leena and her Gun Sniper. "Now there's something I thought I'd never see."

Leena had been working on disarming the Gun Sniper since before dawn broke. "Very funny. Whatever Zoid you're bringing should be in it's basic form. You'd know that if you read the contract."

"I did read it, that's why I'm not bringing any of the CAS systems. Here, Doc thought we might need this." He opened the cockpit and threw down a CD.

"What's on it?"

"It highlights the different battles we've been in and won. It also shows what you did in the Dibison and Gun Sniper. This way, they can see how much ammo you waste."

"Do you want to get going, or not?"

"Fine, I'm leading."

Leena hated the silence that hung in the air between the Liger and the Gun Sniper. She wanted to start a conversation with Bit, but she didn't want it to end up in argument. Her thoughts ran wild through her mind. She could talk about the Guardian Force, but that seemed lame. When she thought about it, she really didn't know much about Bit. Many questions formed in her head, but she kept them to herself. Instead, she watched the scenery fade by in her cockpit.

The Liger Zero came to a stop. Leena wasn't paying much attention and nearly rammed into it. "What's the problem?"

"I got this funny feeling, kinda like we're being followed." Bit's low tone worried Leena.

"Something would be coming up on radar if we were being followed. Besides, I don't see anything."

The Liger growled and shook his head from side to side. "See? Even Liger thinks something's not right."

"You two better not be doing this just to scare me. Are you being serious?"

Bit didn't answer her. He looked at his surrounding carefully, trying to pinpoint something out of the ordinary. Anger slowly built inside of him, as he saw nothing out of place.

"I guess it was nothing. Let's pick up the pace, maybe we can be there before dark."

If there was one thing Leena knew about Bit, it was his feelings were very accurate. It's what made him a great pilot. He could practically sense the enemy before anything showed up on radar.

A woman piloting a Stealthy Storm Sworder wasn't surprised by what she saw from above. "You really are Van Freiheit's son. The funny thing is, you don't know it!"

Angel rolled the Zoid over and started flying in the opposite direction. Her destination was a Whale King left several miles back. She had been following the white Liger and it's pilot for quiet some time. It had been a long time since she had been so close to them, but her feelings remained the same. She wanted to take the Liger Zero, and get even with the Guardian Force-no matter what the cost.