Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ Two Birds, One Arrow ❯ The Flight Into the Unknown ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

*Disclaimer: I do not own Zoids, but I own Ashley, the Gun Sniper Legend, and the Jurassic Team Gang. Everything else is owned by…………. Whoever owns Zoids! (Everyone falls over)

Leena: What the hell was that? Can't even remember the company?

(I hold up a paper, titled, "MY ONE NIGHT STAND WITH HARRY")

Leena: (gulps and laughs nervously) Forget I said anything…

Me: Besides, what's it matter anyway? In less than a week, I'll own it!

Okay. Now let's go…

Chapter 6

The Flight Into The Unknown

Tirano climbed out of his Iron Kong, accompanied by two of his associates. Underneath the watchful gaze of the Aroch Mountains, the twilight of the full moon created eerie shadows. There was a chill in the air, and a swift, subtle breeze left the trio shivering. The night's atmosphere was rather creepy, but not as creepy as a complete, rather disturbing person who broke someone out of prison and told him to meet him without any real explanation. Tirano wrapped his hands around his arms, trying to keep warm. At night, the air could get quite cold, and the breaths of the trio filled the air, visible to all for only a few seconds, but no more.

"Are you sure we can trust this guy?"

"Of course I'm sure! He did break us out, ya' know! Are you challenging my judgment?"

"N-no, sir! It's just that I don't think it's worth it. After all, we've finally been ratted out and the Zoids Battle Commission will definitely be looking for us. Also, what insurance do we have that this technology is as good as he says it is?"

"Are you kidding? That was no ordinary blast that he used to get us out! In any case, I think it's in our best interests to hear him out… of course, if you really disagree…" a twisted smile curled on his menacing face, and his objecting subordinate immediately set to an all-out apology.

"No, sir! I love all your ideas! Forgive me for even making you think otherwise! It won't happen again--"

"Oh, please shut up! It'd do you the most good to just be quiet until that Whale King guy arrives."

And so, they stood, waiting patiently for about a half hour. Ironically, as impatient as Tirano had been known to be, he stood there, enduring the cold and the protests of the two whom he had asked to tag along. Even after forty-five minutes, he hadn't even so much as tapped a foot, and then…

"Look! There he is! See, I told you guys." The Whale King hovered in the distance, releasing a distinctive cry. It was about fifteen miles off from where they stood.

"Could've come a little closer…" muttered one of the other two men.

"Shut up! Let's move out. The minute the three of us come on board, the sooner I don't have to listen to you two idiots whining like babies." The three Zoids pilots climbed into their mighty vehicles, charging off to the other end of the Aroch Mountains. A com-link appeared on Tirano's screen.

"So nice of you to come," welcomed Layon. He had a smile on his face, and Tirano smiled as well.

"Let's get down to business, doctor…"

"Call me Layon. There's no need for formalities here. After all, because we're basically after the same things, we're partners on an equal playing field."

"Yeah, um, so what is it that you wanted to discuss?"

"To be truthful, I don't want to talk here, so let's head back to the base, and you can get situated, and we'll talk in the morning."

"I don't understand. I'd really like to know what's going on tonight. It's the least you could do after making us wait so long, as my two fellow pilots have openly voiced more than once tonight."

"I know! That's exactly why we'll talk tomorrow. I apologize. I've been a very poor host. It's just that I was busy making the preparations for the plan…"

"Plan? What plan?" Tirano was astounded that he could have already surmised a strategy on such short notice. This was obviously not a man to be taken lightly. On the same note, Tirano didn't like being unaware of what lay in store from him. Not once did he recall being told about any of this, and he felt more like a pawn than a partner.

"If we're equal, then I at least have the right to know a little on what you're brewing up in that head of yours," he barked. He continued looking at the com-link screen, leaning forward, extremely tensed, with a tight grip on the controls. Layon grew a little nervous, not scared, just nervous. Apparently, Tirano was waiting for at least a small background on the plan. Layon's face smirked, and Tirano slightly receded to his seat.

"Once again, you're absolutely right. Forgive me! I just get so caught up in my ideas I sometimes forget about everything else."
"Yes, I've noticed…" growled Tirano, his characteristic impatience surfacing. His subordinates, who dared not say anything until the talking had been done, just sat there, listening intently for the upcoming details of their next assignment. "Get on with it!"

"Yes, yes, of course. You see, I work for the Backdraft, and I head the Technology and Research department…"

"Ah, the Backdraft, eh?" Tirano's expression twisted into a smile. "So your technology is first rate… I'm glad to hear it."

"Yes, now if you'll let me continue…" Just as Tirano was impatient, Layon could not tolerate being interrupted when he went on about his schemes of pure genius. "… I'll inform you with a slight background. Slight, mind you, because you haven't agreed in joining us yet and I don't want too much information leaking out. You do understand, don't you?"

"Whatever… that's nice and all, but tell me one thing… Why haven't you told us anything yet?" he sneered, catching Layon off guard. Layon panicked, and the noodles he had been eating scorched his hand, forcing him to drop them to the floor. He muttered something, but recollected himself to talk business.

"All right, all right! Whatever floats your boat. In any case, you know of the energy shields that have become so common, right?"

"Yeah, what about 'em?"

"If you change the frequency used to generate them, the power can be amplified with the more shields that are used. If an army were to use a bunch of these shields…"

"Yeah, so they'd be that much stronger, I know. But what good'll that do if the Liger cuts through? I've heard about its Schneider component, which supposedly broke through you Elephandor's defenses. How's that gonna help us?"

"Well for one thing, IT WON'T IF YOU DON'T KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!" Layon would not tolerate any further interruptions, and Tirano, full of a complete understanding from the sound of Layon's voice, flinched and remained silent until the end, joining his partners, who had to snicker at the moment. Layon calmed and continued. "As I was saying, the Schneider will not be able to break through this barrier, as it will become so powerful, it can deflect highly powerful plasma beams, known for disengaging the shields almost immediately."

"Deflect huh? I like the sound of that…" Tirano sat back laxly, intrigued by what he heard.

"These deflections will bounce straight back in the directions that they came, so much of the ground-type Zoids will be pushovers. At the same time, I am well aware that the shields would have to be down when we open fire on normal occasions, but that's just it! The deflections are a result of a vacuum that is created, so all energy can exit the shields, but none can enter."

"Wow, this is some important stuff! How could I say no? Wait a second, what about the Raynos and Storm Sworder?"

"I was getting to that. Like I said, the shield is impenetrable and it has a few perks of its own. There's no way the flying Zoids can break it, even if they've gone past the sound barrier!"

"Well, with a creation like that, my army will help you out for sure! I accept!"
"That's excellent. Now, I'll lower the Whale King for you three to board." The Whale King engaged its descent, and the three Iron Kongs clambered on. With that, the Whale King flew off, drowned out in the distance by the pale moonlight.

____________

Back at the base, times were the most blissful that they had been in a matter of weeks, mainly in the past week, but the Blitz Team and its comrades were not complaining. To them, now was a time of celebration, to move on…

"Bit! Give me back my cookie!"

"No way! I saw it first!"

"Doc, how about we discuss the money I'll be earning from all of this?"

"Hey Brad, how come you've been avoiding me?"

"Uh… hey, Naomi… on second thought, Doc, I'll see you later. Bye!"
"Come back here, Brad Hunter!"

"Whee! My new Raynos model is so cool!"

"Doc! Pay attention! Why won't anyone listen to me about my strategies? Arghh!"

…yes, the times couldn't have been better. Jamie and Pierce were free to simply be with one another, Brad was succumbing to Naomi's strong, stubborn will, and even signs of more playful and less violent flirts were beginning to surface between Bit and Leena. On another tip, those who had assisted the distressed team were also reaping rewards. Ashley was finally in her element once again, and she felt like she had someone to protect for the first time in what seemed like ages. Jack Sisco had a nice, long break from the Tasker sisters, and even Leon and Stoler had gotten phone numbers from the two. There was a peace in the air, and it had not been so for months. However, there was a sole essence that could not participate in all of this joy… the Wild Eagle. He had been wanting desperately to talk to Jamie all day, but he couldn't find a time where Jamie and Pierce weren't conversing, holding hands, making out… he even tried to talk to Jamie in the shower, but Pierce had walked in by accident, and he lost his nerve.

The day was too long for his impatience, and he had every reason to be feeling the way he was. It really wasn't fair to him that his feelings would simply be discarded as though they were nothing altogether after all would be said and done. Worst of all, Jamie was the one who had taken all of the credit for everything he had done, and Pierce never really took notice to the different personalities that had been displayed; he figured as much that she just passed them off, thinking of them as two different ways that Jamie expressed himself based on how he was feeling. Feeling… right, like all of this was from Jamie and Jamie alone. Finally, as the sunset was appearing over the horizon, Jamie began to grow weary. He kissed his love on the cheek and headed to his quarters. Wild Eagle was free to speak there.

/ So, are you happy now, with Pierce and all? /

"Of course, I mean, why wouldn't I be?" Jamie replied nonchalantly as he removed his t-shirt.

/ Well, have you been thinking about what happens later on? /

"Yeah, but don't worry. I'm sure I'll still be with Pierce no matter what." Wild Eagle was growing more irritated with each passing second. How could Jamie be so slow, after all the two had been through?
/ That's not what I meant. Have you been thinking about what happens to us? / Jamie froze. He stood remarkably still for a second, his hand holding a hanger less than an inch from the rack in his closet, letting it dangle in mid-air. Everything finally computed in his head, and he began to think back on the unusual way his subconscious had been acting ever since Pierce had escaped from the Backdraft's prison. ~He's right! Now that I think of it, I am getting everything I've wanted: Pierce, my full-fledged piloting abilities…~ a look of sadness and apology appeared on his face, which really didn't matter, because Wild Eagle didn't have to see the emotion to comprehend the feeling.

"Gee, I'm sorry. I almost forgot."

/ Almost? You haven't thought about it once! And don't lie, either. I can hear all your thoughts, ya' know… / Jamie wanted to give a logical reason, not as much as he wanted to find a solution, but he couldn't think of anything to calm his inner friend.

"I don't know what to say…"

/ Why don't you start with trying to say something about helping so I don't disappear. /

"That's because, I can't." Jamie was sincere in his reply, but Wild Eagle was growing more enraged with each answer, much more than he should have, really. He finally snapped.

/ WADDA YA' MEAN, YOU CAN'T! / Jamie's head was ringing violently, and it started a throb, which easily agitated him. How could he think when there was a yelling going on within his mind that he simply could not escape? Responding more nastily than he felt, he lashed out at his partner because of his own failure at consolation.

"How should I know? You're the one who made out it to be no big deal."

/ Me? Wadda mean, me? /

"You told me that you were going to help me and then leave. How was I to know that you were gonna start liking it here? I never even knew about Pierce! I never asked for all this! I…" Wild Eagle cut him off, silencing him as he defended his side of the argument.

/ It's all about you, isn't it? I want Pierce! I wanna be more confident! I wanna be a better pilot! What about what I want, huh? As for you never asking for all of this, I don't see you complaining, either! / Jamie was furious. He didn't like being backed in a corner with unjust accusations, though full of reason as they were, they still were impractical and the argument was leading nowhere fast.

"Well, for your information, I never asked for you to be created! If this bothers you so much, why didn't you just let me die back there, before all of this started?"

/ Is that what you really wanted me to do? / Wild Eagle retorted, full of bitterness in his tone that would make a lemon seem like brown sugar. Jamie hesitated, clouded by anger in his judgment, and he could feel the rage building up inside of him yet again. To rise to the occasion, he also responded with a painful statement.

"YES! Yes, I wish you would have just let me die! That way, Pierce and Stoler wouldn't be in all this trouble, we would be making money in regular Zoid battles, and you wouldn't be putting problems in my face that I can't solve! Tough luck!" If Wild Eagle had his own heart, it would have sunk right about now, and yet, he still couldn't back down. Out of things to say, he resorted to last resorts.

/ FINE! /

"FINE!" With that, the two returned to their silence towards each other, now with more reason than ever. Jamie stormed out the room, and Wild Eagle stormed to wherever he could inside of Jamie's mind. The tone of the day's remnants, now night, was depressing. Jamie simply could not go to sleep. Cuddling next to Pierce, he still couldn't help muttering under his breath, which Pierce noticed, because it ruined the mood. Others were also paying attention.

"Jamie? Are you all right?" No answer. "JAMIE!" Pierce startled Jamie, who woke up out of his trance in a confused daze.

"Huh? What? Where… oh, sorry Pierce."

"What's wrong?" No one could deny the concern in her voice, and no one would deny that they wee eavesdropping on this conversation the entire time, either. Luckily for them, Pierce was too busy tending to her love.

"Nothing really, just thinking about a lot of stuff."

"Aww… poor baby…" she cooed, kissing him softly yet sympathetically on the side of his forehead. At this moment, looking at how beautiful and simply… perfect she was in every way, he realized that through his own inner quarrels, he had been deceiving her the entire time as well. ~How can I just lie to her like this? I gotta at least tell her the truth…~ He hesitated. ~Even if it means she'll hate me for it…~

"Uh, Pierce?" he asked, more so uncertain about what he would actually say. She turned to him, giving her full attention but not losing one bit of the concern her expression showed.

"I've got something I need to tell you…"

_____________

At the Backdraft base, Tirano entered the main hall to find soldiers scurrying about in all directions, tending to whatever orders they had been assigned. His subordinates appeared behind him, still wiping their eyes.

"Had a good night's sleep, men?"

"No…"

"Not really…"

"Good, because we've got work to do this morning. Follow me." The three men set out, searching the base for any signs of Layon. It was huge, perhaps rivaling the corporation run by Tirano's father. His subordinates complained that it was easy to get lost here, but Tirano, fascinated by everything he saw - the research on energy shields, the Hellcats appearing and fading out, and the War Sharks and Storm Sworders in the hangar - was more than thrilled. He memorized every twist and turn that he took until he finally returned to the main hall. The only thing that confused him was where Layon could be.

"See? Told you we wouldn't get lost!" His subordinates groaned under his beaming smile, wishing they could go back to bed, or simply just to get away from him.

"Welcome!" The three turned to see Layon, standing by the entrance to the dormitory from which they had come. "I see you're all up bright and early. I was going to show you all a tour, but I guess you've already done that part yourselves. That's a good thing, because for this mission you're going to need to be familiar with this base."

"Interesting place you got here, doc."

"It's not mine, but I am really important here, and now, if you'll follow me…" he suggested, "… we can move into the briefing room." Tirano, who had no trouble keeping up, dragged his subordinates along, keeping them close. They continued walking until Layon stopped in front of a door, opening it, and insisting that they enter first. He closed the door behind him after everyone had entered. "You're already familiar with what we'll be using for this plan, right?" The three nodded, signaling to Layon that he could continue.

"We could just have an all-out barrage on the Tauros base, which is something I'm not sure would bother you, but there are details that prevent me from doing that."

"Like what?" Tirano asked, trying to take in every piece of information possible.

"Well, storming them and destroying all of their Zoids would be easy, too easy. That's not at all what this mission will be about. I have to acquire the Raynos. If this test is successful, I'll also be able to get the Liger Zero sooner or later."

"What's a Liger?"

"Certainly, you remember the white, tiger-like Zoid from your last fight. You know, the one that changed blue?" Tirano nodded in comprehension. He remembered that Zoid all too clear. It had amazed him in basically the same way that the Raynos had. "Well, that, my friends, is an Ultimate X, the very Zoid we've been searching for, but listen carefully, because there is a connection between it and the Raynos." All three could not help becoming more attentive, and the subordinates suddenly woke in a jump.

"Nice of you all to be paying attention. The Ultimate X is something created from the fusion of a regular Zoid and the Organoid species that died long ago. This fusion allows Zoids to learn from their mistakes, ultimately improving their capabilities and expanding their full potential with the system it creates. The Zoids choose a pilot who they deem worthy, who is responsible for bringing this potential out, so the Zoids get better over time. The Liger is a rare Ultimate X, and because of its transformation capabilities, it can handle a varying range of situations. However…" his voiced faded off, and his audience couldn't help getting more intrigued by his explanation. "… there was a system created by man to enhance these capabilities. It allowed the Zoid to create new attacks, such as what you saw with the Raynos. This is an extreme advantage for us, because unlike the Ultimate X, it doesn't need a chosen pilot. All it needs is to tap into the raw emotion of its pilot, and just like the Ultimate X, these things take place based on the current situation. If the two systems merge, then it will override the Ultimate X's policy to choose a pilot."

"So what you're saying…" suggested Tirano, who grew confused towards the end.

"In other words, anyone could pilot the Ultimate X. There's just one problem though. Those who aren't chosen can suffer extreme damage from the man-made system, as once the attack is learned, it stays in the system, getting stronger every time it's used. Eventually, it can become too powerful for un-chosen pilots to handle, and…"

"I see. So the Ultimate X system sets up the pilot, and it can tell who can handle the new system."

"Exactly."

"It sounds interesting. Wouldn't mind testing it out myself."

"You won't if our plan ends up destroying it. Also… I want you to be careful not to kill the pilot of the blue Gun Sniper…"

"What for?"

"I owe her mother that much…"

"I see… this Tauros guy took her mother from you." At this, Layon broke into an explanation that went on for about a half hour, cursing and breaking into tears at certain points, which put Tirano's subordinates to sleep. Tirano, however, was not really bored. He could actually care less, as he was about to get something that he desperately wanted.

"I hear ya, doc. We're gonna go get 'em back and make that Tauros bastard pay for ever crossing you!" At this, Layon cheered up, and his evil grin appeared on his face once again. The nature of the grin deeply unnerved Tirano, more so because he was used to dealing it, not taking it in.

"Well, then, here's the plan. Part one: The Bait. I'll be luring Tauros out, and it will be a lure that not even he can turn down."

"I'm listening, so what will my gang be doing?"

"Part two… that's where you come in. You'll be gathering your forces, grouping them for the assault and waiting for my signal."

"What exactly is this bait?"

"I plan to end this, challenging Tauros to an unofficial, un-judged Zoid battle."

"Hmm? So if you want us to interfere, why would you even go through with the battle? You'd never finish it."
"That's the beauty of it. You'll be standing by until I give the word. I wanna resolve the battle myself. I get the last laugh, win or lose. If I beat him, you would cover my escape as I dragged him and whatever Zoid he's piloting back to safety, and we would retreat. If I lose, you'd still cover my escape and carry his Zoid away."

"But what about the Raynos?"
"I WAS JUST GETTING TO THAT!"

"Okay! Sheesh! You have the floor, oh wise master."

"I don't appreciate the sarcasm… in any case, with Tauros in custody, they'll have no choice to fork over the Raynos to me. I'll also look forward to testing this plan on the Liger Zero, the Gun Snipers, the Red Blade Liger, and all Lightning Saixes that they have, but knowing them, once I have Tauros, they won't just surrender, so we'll take them by force. Part three: That is where you'll get your revenge!"

"I see… a fool-proof plan. It's brilliant! I can't wait to see the faces on the Raynos and the Storm Sworder pilots."

"Well then, is it a deal?"

"You bet!" The two smirked evilly, forming a strong handshake. Layon burst into a laughter that startled Tirano's subordinates form their sleep and filled the entire base with a dark feel, which was not entirely inaccurate. This was truly a dark day.

_____________

"What? You mean, you've got two personalities?"

"Yeah…"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was afraid you'd think I was nuts."

"Yeah, NUTS THAT YOU DIDN'T TELL ME! All of this was a lie, is that what you're telling me?"

"No! It's not a lie! There are parts that both of us out into this! If it wasn't for him, I woulda never met you…" Pierce calmed down, her yells reduced to mere stutters.

"Wh-wha-wadda ya m-mean, if you never met me?"

"That day that we fought in the air, the day you knocked me out of the sky, I passed out. I don't remember anything at all from that day. I was told that I spiraled out of control, falling freely to my doom. Bit couldn't help me, no one could help me. Just as I was about to crash, I pulled out somehow, but it wasn't me. That whole day, after we won, everyone kept congratulating me on something I knew I couldn't do… they kept calling me the Wild Eagle. I spent that whole day trying to figure out how we'd won, why I couldn't remember, why they kept calling me that, that name." His voice was trembling as he said each word. He could not help letting his hands do the same. "Then that night, he spoke to me, explained everything that happened in a way that no one else could have done. That night, he told me about you." Pierce froze.

"M-me?"

"Yeah, at first, I just thought he was playing games, but ever since he was created, I couldn't help trusting him, as he guided me closer to my dreams every step of the way. I guess, that because he was part of me, he knew how I'd feel about meeting you. He said he was born to help me reach my full flying potential, but he promised he wouldn't leave until…" Jamie continued explaining what had happened, and how he'd planned to get the two of them together.

"But what about those words you said? Were they all from, him?"
"No, they were from me." Once again, Jamie went into detail about who did what, how Wild Eagle had been the one to shoot her down and plan her second defeat, about how Wild Eagle was the one she met, about how Wild Eagle had been the one to save her from the gang, but then, he trailed off into everything he had done, about the things he'd wrote to her, about how he'd come to rescue her, about everything that Wild Eagle had done to flatter and lighten her heart, and about how he'd done everything to get closer to it. Pierce was practically in tears after every realization, and he tried to hug her, to console her, but she pushed him away.

"I need time to take all of this in. You understand…" Jamie nodded sullenly, and watched in pain as she walked off. ~She might never forgive me…~

Walking away, she wandered off to the hangar, where she felt she could be alone. ~How could he do that to me? Play with my emotions… doesn't he care?~ She arrived, but even though she felt she was alone, her peace was dropped when she saw Bit looking up at his Liger.

"Yeah! That's right, boy. We've got the ultimate team right here in our base. No one can beat us!" He turned to Pierce. "Oh, hey Pierce, didn't see ya'… what's wrong?" He walked over, trying to figure out why the green-haired beauty was wiping tears from her eyes, and she explained to him about Jamie and the Wild Eagle. "Oh, so you know about that?"

"You mean, you all knew?"

"Of course we did. Of course, Jamie didn't tell us, even though we suspected it for a long time. Doc was the one who found out and confronted him."

"You're not mad?"

"Naw, why should I be?"

"Why should you? Because he lied, that's why!"

"And what reasons would he have to lie?" Pierce couldn't answer. "Seems to me he was afraid what everyone would think. He hadn't even told us about you. He was afraid he'd scare everybody, scare you…"
"But everything he's done… don't you ever wonder which one does what?"

"Nah!" Bit let out a large yawn, and scratched his head. "Course not. The way I see it, they're both two parts of the same whole. You couldn't have one without the other, or else you wouldn't have Jamie." Pierce was beginning to falter.

"Yeah, guess you're right…"

"Really? That's a first! Everyone round here ignores what I say." Pierce had to giggle at his remark. "See? I knew you'd smile. The way I see it, he cares about you too much to hurt you, and if he told you, it was probably because he felt it was wrong for him not to be straight with you. I say you should go talk to him, straighten everything out." Pierce's expression returned to a smile, full of gratitude. As she walked off she turned back to Bit, who had begun walking back to his Liger.

"Bit?"

"Hmm?"

"Did you really mean it, what you said about them both being a part of him?"

"Yeah, I mean, I know I'm the greatest pilot that ever lived, but I wouldn't be me if I wasn't always fighting with Leena, now would I?"
"No, I guess not…"
"C'mon Liger, let's go for a quick run outside!" The Liger growled softly in agreement, but their plans were stopped short by the sound of a Zoid outside.

"Tauros! Come out and face me!" It was Layon, who seemed to be piloting a War Shark. Everyone hurried into the main room to turn on the com-link. Dr. Tauros was the one to do all of the talking.

"What's the big idea, coming here unannounced? What do you want?"

"I just want a friendly Zoids battle…"

"I don't accept." Layon face faulted.

"WHAAT? You've gotta accept, c'mon?"

"Nope, I don't think so…"

"Please?" Layon's demands were reduced to mere pleas, nothing but begging that seriously disturbed his backup, which remained unseen in the distance, mainly due to the stealth shields installed to all of their Zoids.
"Tirano? Are you sure this guy's all there?

"Yeah, he may be a little weird, but he definitely knows what he's doing."

"If you say so…" Regardless of the Jurassic Team Gang's skeptical comments, Layon continued to beg Tauros for a battle.

"Oh, pleeaaase? I'll give you fifty times the prize money!" Tauros couldn't help but look astonished.

"F-fif-fifty? In that case I'll accept. What are the rules." Layon's face twisted into a smirk.

"Just you and me… a battle to determine who's better." The entire room was filled with shock. No one could believe what Layon was suggesting.

"Dad! You can't seriously be considering…"

"Doc! It's a trick, you know it!"

"C'mon doc, don't let 'em push you around with these cheap lures."

"Hey doc, I know it's a risk, but considering the prize money--"

"BRAD!"

"Okay, Naomi, sheesh… just asking. It's not worth it doc, no matter how tempting it is."

Tauros stood still for about ten seconds, thinking things through. He finally changed his position, turning to his assembled allies to speak.

"Sorry, but I gotta…"

"Dad! I know I'm not on the team anymore, but you can't possibly trust this guy after everything he's done."

"Relax, it'll be fine! After all… I am the better Zoids pilot."

"WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT!" Layon barked. Everyone's ears received a sharp pain, and they were forced to cover them.

"The question is, what Zoid can I use? I don't have my own…"

"You can use mine!" Everyone immediately turned in the direction of Pierce, who had blurted her response out in the middle of nowhere.

"You can't be serious!" Jamie exclaimed. "I know it's one of the best Zoids we've got, but, it's too risky. You might never get it back.

"I know, but it's the most expendable. I'm not on a team anymore, and my Zoid was modified in the Backdraft, so it has some of the tricks that the War Shark might have. It'll be fine."

"Take the Elephandor, if that's the case." Now, everyone turned to Stoler. "I probably won't be piloting a Zoid again for a while. It's got an energy shield, so you'll be protected from bullets, and its offensive and defensive capabilities are extremely great."

"Be that as it may," Tauros countered, "it's way too slow to compete with a War Shark. The shield only covers the land and it doesn't protect the underbelly of the Elephandor from the War Shark's attacks underneath it. Pierce, I appreciate you lending me your Storm Sworder." With that, despite any complaints from Leon, Leena, Bit, or Jamie, Tauros found his way back into the cockpit of a Zoid. "Besides," he later said to himself, "Layon's best piloting was in those kinds of Zoids, but mine was in the air, just like Oscar…" He engaged the system, and with a loud screech, the Storm Sworder flew out to meet its opponent.

"It's been such a long time since I've flown, since I gave it all up to start a family…"

"You ready, Tauros?"

"Any time you are, Layon!"
"Then let's get started. As you know, there are no rules, so someone up there give us the signal to begin."

"I'll do it," said Pierce. "It's my Zoid fighting, so I'll do it." The Storm Sworder hovered patiently, watching cautiously as its opponent sank back below the depths of the earth.

"Ready… fight!"

The Storm Sworder flew in the direction of the War Shark, the War Shark leaping out of the earth to ram at its aerial assailant. The fight had begun…