Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ Two Birds, One Arrow ❯ The Taming of the Wild Eagle ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Okay, I'm back, and it has been awhile, at least by my standards. I really appreciate those of you who have been taking the time to review my stories and I hope you'll continue to do so… I'm through playing, and now the writer in me will surface once more. Being that I've had plenty of time to think of where I'm taking this story, I've got so many ideas, but they'll all amount to squat if I don't put 'em where they matter… on ff.net.

*Disclaimer- I certainly do not own Zoids… yet.

All right, brace yourselves for…

Chapter 7

The Taming of the Wild Eagle

The Stormsworder and War Shark clashed violently, showing off their obvious strengths towards their aggressor. The battle had just begun, and everyone was waiting to see how much of a battle Tauros and Layon would put up. After ramming into each other, the War Shark returned beneath the sands, and the Stormsworder continued to circle overhead, countering the War Shark's circling beneath the earth. The battle left an air of great anticipation amongst the spectators, and everyone was trying to figure out if the battle would actually be a good one. The two Zoids lunged at each other again, and once more returned to their respective territories.

"This battle is going to go nowhere fast," exclaimed Bit, who was obviously not impressed by the actions the two ex-pilots had taken thus far. "Why are they wasting time butting heads? Why don't they just blast each other?"

"Because, Leena number two," Brad replied sharply, "they're sizing each other up. Give them a minute to finish, and the real battle will begin."

"Wadda mean, 'real battle' ?"

"Bit, you don't know anything about anything, do you?" Bit turned to frown at Leena for insulting him. "My father and Layon used to be Zoids pilots back in their day."

"Really? No way!" Leena sighed at the apparent slowness of Bit's thinking.

"Duh! I mean, that's what they would've had to do at a Zoids academy. Back then, wars and duels broke out almost all the time, so they trained a lot harder than we did. What they're doing right now is the standard duel sequence, where they clash several times before engaging in the battle. Dad told me this countless times."

"Besides," Brad added, "the two Zoids they're piloting are their specialties, and they were both good back then. To be honest, I think we've got a good battle ahead of us."

"Ya think so?"

"Of course, Bit. They both rule their own elements, and can't attack each other directly unless they pull each other out of their element. I'd say this battle's a once in a lifetime treat."

"Ya got that right…" Everyone turned to Ashley, who had been listening in the whole time. "Thos two and Oscar graduated at the top of their class."

"Wait a sec. I thought you were at the top of the class."

"No way, I was a year younger so I graduated a year later. I was on the top of my class though. Anyway, if I know these two, neither will be satisfied until the other is fully put outta commission." Everyone turned back to the screen, and watched as the two Zoids clashed for the final time, breaking their formations and preparing to attack each other far more viciously.

"Okay, Layon! Let's see what ya got!"

"Of course, Steve! Here it comes!" The War Shark climbed onto the sand, opening its mouth wide and revealing three powerful plasma guns, already storing energy for the shot. The Stormsworder had already been setting itself up to fly by with a resulting sonic boom, but it was now in Layon's range of fire, and would not arrive in time to strike.

"I don't remember seeing that installed when we fought the Fuma Team," exclaimed Tauros.

"Like it? I installed it myself. Wanna taste it?" Layon grinned as Tauros panicked.

"Try me!" roared Tauros, who continued charging. Just as the War Shark fired, Tauros hit the booster switch, and the Stormsworder broke the sound barrier, dodging it but only by a few inches. The hull of the Stormsworder was shaken violently though, and Tauros found himself flinching. Nonetheless, he flew right past the War Shark, his sonic boom leveling the enemy and knocking it back into the depths of his sandy retreat.

"Wow! Doc can break the sound barrier, too!" exclaimed Jamie, unable to believe the ease in which Tauros did what he had once been having trouble in doing himself. "All this time and he never told us." Of course, astonished as everyone was, the battle was far from over, as the Stormsworder now spent its time dodging plasma blasts pointed straight upward by the War Shark, which had positioned itself so that it could bob up and down beneath the sand to follow and fire below the Stormsworder. Tauros had a hard time maneuvering, but Layon still could not hit him. Tauros looped over, spiraling back to the earth and firing rapidly at his underground foe. Of course, Layon had the benefit of being able to dive again anytime Tauros came close, only to resurface and barrage Tauros once more.

"Nice tricks, Layon! I see you haven't lost much experience!"

"Neither have you, but that's not gonna save you for what I have in store!" Layon countered. Tauros just smiled.

"How cute, you still believe you'll win," he taunted. Layon banged his fist on the cockpit's controls, and started shouting in a booming voice.

"I WILL WIN! JUST WATCH ME!" Watching Layon grow furious only seemed to broaden the smile on Tauros' face.

"Whatever, Layon-poo…"

"Stop calling me that name!" Layon would have continued yelling hopelessly, but he suddenly remembered something. Before he had lost his cool, he was telling Tauros about the victory he foresaw. He had no reason to get mad if he was going to win anyway. Besides, if he could beat Tauros while his opponent tactlessly provoked him, he could make Tauros eat every last wisecrack that left his mouth.

"I see what you're trying to do. You're trying to make me lose focus."

"That's not hard to do 'cause you never had focus to begin with!" Tauros laughed, and Layon, who was trying his best not to get upset, simply smiled under a glowing red complexion in his face, trying his hardest to remain calm. Finally, he managed to smirk.

"Being that I'm about to win anyway, I'll ignore what you just said and leave you to feel and look pretty stupid. You know, a couple more things to complement you actually being stupid!" It was Layon's turn to laugh, and the smile disappeared from Tauros' lips, replaced by a vein popping on his forehead.

"Whatever, Layon, just make your move…" he growled. Layon just smiled broader.

"With pleasure, Tauros…" he hissed. He dove back underground, popping up about a hundred yards away in a few seconds and jumping high into the sky.

"Is that all, Layon? That's nothing new!" Tauros grew calm again, and returned to his cheery smile, but he stopped yet again as he noticed that Layon was still smiling, as well. "So, if that's not your trick, what is it?" he growled as the War Shark fell back to the wavy sands.

"I'll show you. The Fuma Team pilots are good, I'll give you that…" Layon replied, but as his Zoid dove back to the sand, it bounced back up. Tauros gasped, watching the War Shark skip on the ground like a playful dolphin, which bounced higher and higher with each leap. Layon continued, "…but they're amateurs compared to me. They can't bring out this Zoid's full potential. This is phase one of my strategy."

"So, what's next? You gonna beg for a fish, Flipper?"

"Oh, nothing like that! I'll just play with you for awhile." Tauros snapped, firing repeatedly at the War Shark, but there was one problem; he was missing completely. Not one shot even so much as scratched the hull of the War Shark, and he had wasted half of his ammo before realizing this. He tried locking on, but he couldn't because his Zoid kept moving and, unfortunately, so did Layon's. Every time he almost locked on, he soared right past, and when he turned to face his opponent again, the War Shark was skipping around in an entirely different area. There was no way he could he it.

"You see? I can't be hit, and you still haven't seen my attack to go along with this!" Layon was in his proudest hour, and his Zoid was still bouncing higher, slowly but surely, until it was even higher than the Stormsworder. Upon reaching this height, as the Stormsworder soared past from below, it opened fire, raining down missiles in a more advanced way than the Fuma Team could have ever fathomed. Tauros was hit hard, but he recollected himself and pulled out of his downward spiral. Of course, staying out of Layon's way was easy at first, until Layon used another tactic.

"The only reason you're still up is because I allow it, Tauros, but I'm through playing games! The missiles were an experiment and here's the real thing!" The War Shark launched back into the clear blue sky, and as it flopped through the air, the plasma cannons in its mouth storing energy with each passing second. Tauros froze for a second, watching in utter fear as the War Shark prepared to fire. He would have to break the sound barrier yet again. As Layon fired, he blasted through the air, and Layon cursed.

"Dammit, Tauros! Hold still!" The War Shark continued trying to blast at the Stormsworder, but was now missing as its opponent had been doing moments before. Tauros smiled.

"Well, Layon, it seems like you were planning on a quick win, but there's a flaw…"

"What makes you think I wanted this to end quick, and what do you mean a flaw? My strategies are top-notch!"

"Quit kidding yourself! You've been in this battle far too long, because now I've seen through your tricks and I can predict your every move. Ending this battle early was your only chance, and you blew it!" Layon cringed at the thought of losing to Tauros personally.

"You're bluffing…"

"Am I? I don't seem to think so. When you were bouncing, if you would've caught me with that plasma beam, I'd be finished, but letting me go into Mach 3 was your mistake. Every time you jump into the air, you leave yourself vulnerable, and with me breaking the sound barrier right now…" Tauros' expression turned into pure joy, a smile curving on his lips.

"No…" Layon couldn't believe what he was hearing. "It-it can't be!"

"Say goodbye…" Tauros blasted past the War Shark, the sonic boom hitting it in mid-air. It was knocked higher, and as it fell again, the Stormsworder soared past, hitting it again with a sonic boom. This process repeated itself for about ten times until Tauros concluded he had weakened it enough and began to open fire. The War Shark's system froze. As Layon cursed, he reached for the button to his com-link.

"Hey, Layon! Where's our prize money? Don't forget, it's fifty times, not five." Tauros was overwhelmed with joy and triumph, but nothing would prepare him for what was about to happen.

"Tirano! Move in, now!"

"Tirano? C'mon guys! We gotta get to our Zoids. Hurry!" Even with the help coming for him, Tauros was forced to fight this battle alone, which was definitely not even capable of being called a fight. Outnumbered and overpowered in every way, Tauros was blasted out of the sky by hundreds of Iron Kongs and Red Raptors. As the Liger Zero, the Gun Snipers, Lightning Saix, and the Raynos left the hangar, they were bombarded relentlessly by Hellcats. There was no way they could reach the Stormsworder, which was being carried back into the energy shields by three Iron Kongs. Pierce could only stand in the window, screaming. She couldn't bear to see her Zoid being captured, and an uneasy thought struck her mind; Layon planned to destroy it before, would he still do it now? Raynos flew of in the distance to retrieve the stolen Stormsworder.

"Doc! Ahh!" he screamed as the shots he fired hit him back. In seconds, he was on the ground, and he was surrounded by seven Red Raptors. ~Great. I'm not gonna make it outta here.~

"Well, look what the doc dragged in." Jamie could recognize that snicker anywhere. Tirano was piloting a Red Raptor. "So, you finally bow before me. How's that girl been doing?"

"Better than you. I can smell your breath through the com-link!"

"Why you little-- fire!" The Red Raptors unleashed a barrage on Jamie's Raynos, and he was knocked unconscious.

"JAMIE!" screamed Bit, who couldn't help his fallen comrade because his hands were full trying to locate the Hellcats.

"Jamie? Wild Eagle? You there?" Leena called. No answer. She tried again, but still couldn't get an answer. Why wasn't the Wild Eagle taking over? / Hmmph! So he just wanted me to let him die, huh? Fine! It's no skin off my nose. I'm not even real! /

Wild Eagle could not let the incidents of the previous night go, and he kept grumbling. Of course, Jamie was unconscious, and he couldn't hear these thoughts. / All I wanted was for you to at least try to help me, but ya couldn't even do that! Look at you, look at us! Pathetic! Ya can't even help yourself. Serves you right… / But he didn't really feel that way, not in the least. He actually felt guilty that he was just going to let himself die, but his anger over Jamie restrained him from saying that. His thoughts were interrupted by Layon over the radio.

"Idiots! I said capture it, not mangle it!"

"Well, guys, you heard the boss." The Red Raptors hoisted the Raynos, planning to carry him to the energy shield.

"Put it down! We'll get him later."

"B-bu-but-but doctor Lay--"

"Quiet! Are you questioning me?" All of Tirano's gang shuddered. "We can come back later, I promise. I just don't you getting too greedy. That's how things go wrong." Before they could put him down, he was dropped roughly, as well as several of his aggressors. To his right, in the far distance were Leon with the Red Blade Liger, Stoler with the Elephandor, and Brad with the Command Wolf.

"Jamie, get outta here! We'll take care of the rest!"

"Thanks, I'll get doc."

"You're not goin' anywhere!" shouted Tirano, who was preparing to attack the Raynos once more. Layon called him again.

"Tirano, stop! It's too risky. Get your men outta there. The Raynos can't harm our shields, anyway." Tirano calmed.

"Roger that… all Red Raptors in the area. If you can still move, carry those out who can't. We're gettin' outta here." Jamie ignored the evacuating forces and blasted desperately at the energy shield. It almost seemed as though God were not on his side. He kept thinking about what would happen to Tauros, and a thought struck him sharply. ~It's all my fault… I let him get captured. If it weren't for me, we wouldn't be here.~ Jamie started trembling. ~Even if the Wild Eagle was the one who fought Tirano's gang, he's still a part of me. It's all my fault.~ He felt himself gripping the control stick tightly, so tight he felt it would have snapped at any second, and anger surged through him.

"I won't let them down, not this time!" As he shouted in all his fury, the screen on his cockpit started to flash the usual message for his attack. "Right, Raynos, let's gooo!" He soared high up in the air. Layon, who had managed to get back to safety with Tauros, was the only one who noticed this amidst all of the confusion.

"So this is the Raynos' special attack… interesting." A smile twisted on his face yet again. "Let him try to break the energy shield all he likes. The question is, can he handle the attack without the force of impact from my shield? I know the strength of the attack keeps getting stronger. If he can break it, he deserves to get Tauros back." He chuckled to himself, and watched as the Raynos dove back down, starting to spin faster and faster with each passing second. "Incredible!"

"Whiiiiiiiirlwiind Fuuuuuuryyyy!" The violent tornado clashed with the shield, and all fighting ceased as both sides watched the attack. The Blitz Team and its allies were gripping their seats full of anticipation, hoping that Jamie would succeed…

C'mon, Jamie…

You can do it!

We're countin on ya, kid…

You're the only one that can save my dad!

…On the same note, Tirano was extremely fearful; he had seen the attack twice and knew very well what it was capable of. Layon just continued to smile. "Hey, Layon! I thought you said this shield could take anything!"

"Patience, Tirano. This is the moment of truth. My plan won't fail, I know it!" The Raynos continued to twist and turn, trying its hardest to drill through the enemy defenses, grinding viciously. A minute passed, and Jamie was feeling light-headed. The force of the attack, now stronger than ever, was starting to get to him.

"I don't know how much more I can take-- argghh!" The attack was broken, and the Raynos flew violently through the air, crashing to the ground. Jamie was fully unconscious.

____________

"Jamie!" Pierce screamed, as she ran down to the hangar entrance. She noticed a Pteras, which she couldn't remember being there, and her heart was pounding fiercely. She heard footsteps nearing her, and she turned, ready to face the worst when…

"Excuse me, miss. Steve told me to get here as soon as possible, and I can't find him anywhere."

"Are you… Jamie's dad?" She stood gawking at him, for a moment longer, and he finally broke the silence, slapping her lightly on the shoulder.

"That's me! Oscar Hemeros, pleased to meet you!" She wanted to smile, but there was something more important at hand. ~He didn't see them outside? He's not gonna like what I have to say.~ Oscar was a little confused. After all, you usually greet someone back after they've greeted you.

"Is something wrong, miss?"

"No time to explain! Jamie's in danger!"

"What? How?"

"There's a fierce battle going on outside, and he's hurt. I can't explain anything else."

"Let me see! Take me to the control room."

"What? Aren't you gonna take the Pteras back out?"

"Can't. It barely made it here. I won't be able to bring him back." Pierce was practically on the verge of tears. ~He's out there, and I might never see him again….~ Oscar held her by the shoulders, and she was forced to look directly in his eyes. "Look, I'll do whatever I can.. Ya gotta stay calm, cause this ain't gonna help him. Let's go to the control room and see if we can't help at all."

Back up there, the two surveyed the battle scene. Bit and company had managed to defeat most of the Hellcats, and those not defeated were retreating with their men anyway. The Red Raptors were moving in on the Raynos, and it was quite apparent that they had been ordered to capture it. Oscar got an idea.

"Bit! Come back to the base immediately."

"What for?"

"So we can save Jamie." Bit returned and Oscar told him to transform the Liger into the Schneider.

"Why not Jager? He's much faster."

"If you use Jager, you'll risk damaging Jamie when you're running at top speed, so Schneider's the best way to go." Seconds later, Bit was in the transformation room, removing his Liger Zero armor.

"Liger Zero, now converting into Liger… Schneider!" In not time at all, the white Liger was replaced with a red one, ready to be launched back onto the battlefield.

"Liger Zero Schneider, CAS complete!" Bit returned just in time to see the Red Raptors looming over the crashed Raynos. Jamie still had not regained consciousness. Schneider raced as fast as it could towards the Red Raptors, and its blades took their usual position. ~I hope he makes it in time,~ thought a worried Pierce.

"Busteeeer Slaaassh!" The Schneider ripped through the Red Raptors, and reduced them to a dilapidated pile of rubble. "Somebody! Help me carry the Raynos outta here!"

"I'll do it!" Ashley came over to help Bit with Jamie's Zoid. "The rest of you should do something about the enemies you've taken out."

"Right. We'll handle that!" Brad responded. "Pierce, get ready to contact the Zoids Battle Commission. We'll round up these guys!"

"You'll do no such thing!" barked Layon, who signaled for the barrage behind the energy shield to continue. "Tirano, I'll cover you while you get your men out of there. Our mission is complete. Evacuate at once."

"Roger. All right guys, you heard him. Move out!" The Schneider and Gun Sniper Legend carried the Raynos back to base, while the other Zoids covered their escape. About ten minutes later, Tirano's gang had fully disappeared from sight. Within the hour, the Raynos had been place carefully in the hangar, with Jamie being placed in the recovery room just as carefully. The rest of the team waited in the living room of the Tauros base while Ashley and Leon tended to Jamie's wounds.

"How could all of this happen?" Bit thought aloud, pacing back and forth. "How could things go so terribly wrong? Jamie…" Leena finally stood up, and escorted Bit to the couch, a look of extreme concern in her face.

"All this worrying won't help him, Bit. We can only hope he'll be fine. Pierce, why don't you go check on him? He could use your company right about now." Pierce, who had been sitting there the whoe time, looking down at the ground gloomily, stood up and looked at Leena like she didn't deserve any consolation. "What's wrong?"

"It's all my fault."

"Wadda ya talking about? It isn't your fault!"

"Yes, it is! Your father wouldn't have been captured if it wasn't for me, and Jamie wouldn't be…" she choked on her last words. She couldn't even think about the fact that Jamie was laying in the recovery room, probably hurt beyond repair.

"Look, it's not your fault. Layon's had a score to settle with Doc for the longest," Bit said, trying his hardest to reassure Pierce that she was not to blame. "Look, if you're feeling guilty about what you told me earlier, forget it. That's got nothing to do with anything going on right now. Jamie's gonna pull through, I know it. His gentler side wouldn't leave you behind, Pierce, and I know Wild Eagle's too stubborn to let him die. I promise you, he'll be okay. Go check on him."

"Thanks," she finally managed to say, and she walked out of the living room."

______________

In the recovery room, Jamie remained still, with no signs of possible movement at all. Wild Eagle was still conscious, however, and was conscious through the whole thing. Leon was at Jamie's bedside, and Ashley was by the sink, washing her hands.

"Ashley, I have a question."

"What is it, Leon?"

"Jamie's got two personalities, right?"

"Yeah, so?" Ashley replied, turning to face Leon. She walked over and stood in front of him.

"Did you ever wonder why the Wild Eagle didn't take over this time?"

"What do you mean?"

"I heard that the Wild Eagle came out for the first time when Jamie was unconscious, and I know he came out when we fought the Jurassic Team Gang, so why didn't he come out this time?"

/Hmmph! Why didn't I come out? Jamie should know why. Ask him when he wakes up. /

"Are you really going to rely on part of Jamie's subconscious? Are you really going to blame a part of Jamie's mind?" Ashley asked, looking stern and wise, which made Leon listen attentively.

/ Just a part of your mind, huh, Jamie? I bet you think of me that way, too. Why the hell should you care? I was only meant to help you and disappear, but did you ever think once that I was more than a part of you? I don't think you did. You didn't do a lot of things. You didn't consider my feelings, you didn't concern yourself with my troubles, and… you didn't treat me like an equal. What do I mean to you, Jamie? /

"But, he's been there for Jamie every other time. It just doesn't make sense…" Leon looked down to the floor.

/ Once again, ask Jamie. You know why, don't ya, Jamie? According to you, I shoulda never saved you in the first place! Didn't you say you wished I would've just let you die? That's pretty selfish, considering that except for Tauros and your injury, you've got everything great going for you. Maybe I should've just left you, so tell me why I didn't! I'm just a part of your mind, so you should have all the answers. I didn't ask to be born, ya know. It's not right that you took your anger out on me. I thought we were friends! /

"Try not to think about it. Jamie's going to be fine, with or without Wild Eagle." Ashley sat down beside Leon.

/ I guess you were right, you don't need me… not the way I need you at least. All I asked for was some understanding, and you turned it into blame… maybe it is my fault. Pierce wouldn't have been captured if we weren't spotted that night on our date. I'm sure that's when they saw us. You wouldn't even be laying here if I would've just saved you from crashing, but you don't need me… no one does. / Just then, the sound of the door opening caught Wild Eagle's attention. The voice sounded familiar. / Pierce? She doesn't even want me. I was the one that started that fight with Tirano and his gang… / Ashley and Leon stood.

"Yes, Pierce?"

"I, um… just came to check on him. I've been worried sick, and I just wanted--" Ashley smiled.

"Please, by all means… take your time. We'll even let you stay with him for awhile." Signaling over to Leon, the two exited the room, leaving Pierce behind. She sat where Leon had, and looked down on Jamie's emotionless face.

"Jamie?"

/ Go on… she's calling you. Wake up. You don't belong here, not with me… just a part of your mind./ What he heard next completely caught him off guard.

"Jamie, Wild Eagle, I don't care. Can your hear me?"

/ Huh? Why's she calling me? Probably to blame me, too… /

"Look, I'm sorry. I never meant to lash out on you when you told me about your split personality. But… ya gotta admit, it was a shock. I shouldn't have gotten mad. Maybe you wouldn't be like this if I didn't take it the wrong way."

/ Wha--? That's nonsense! C'mon, Jamie, wake up and calm her. Tell her it's not her fault about any of this. Don't let her feel bad about something she didn't do. Jamie? C'mon! I know you're stronger than this. I apologized… why won't you wake up? /

"All I know is, I love every part of you. It was the Wild Eagle I met, remember?"

/ … did she just say she loves me? /

"I love you Jamie, with your gentleness, your understanding when I confide I in you… I love the Wild Eagle part of you, with his confidence, his suaveness, his way of always knowing what to say to make me feel good…"

/ Jamie… don't do this to her… wake up. Don't leave her alone… /

"Please, if there's any part of you listening, talk to me…" Tears were streaming down Pierce's cheeks, and Wild Eagle couldn't take it any more. Suddenly, Jamie's eyes opened. "J-Jamie?"

"No…"

"Wild… Eagle?" Wild Eagle managed to nod his head, despite his injuries. "I guess you blame this on me..." Wild Eagle rose up painfully from the bed.

"Never! I would never blame anything on you!" Wild Eagle groaned in agony from his sudden outburst, and Pierce looked at him pleadingly to calm down. Returning to his resting position, he spoke in a normal tone. "This wasn't your fault, it was mine…"

"What are you talking about?"

"Jamie passed out… and I was conscious the whole time, yet I didn't do anything…" Pierce looked at him in astonishment; she couldn't understand why he would even so much as hesitate, and her expression beckoned for him to continue. "That day Jamie came to you… we had a fight… it didn't go well…" Pierce sat there, listening as calmly as was possible for her at the time; while her face remained perfectly calm, her hands were gripping the sheets firmly. As upset she was, she willed herself to hear him out. "I'm just a part of Jamie's mind… when he doesn't need me anymore, I'll disappear… I was upset because he didn't seem to care, and… I guess I took it out on him."

"But, shouldn't you be glad for Jamie?"

"Of course, but, I've really started to like this place. I don't wanna leave everything behind."

"Why should it matter if you're only a part of him?"

"Because, I felt like I was his friend, not some part of someone's mind." Pierce was beginning to understand Wild Eagle's perspective.

"I see… but if you were his friend, why didn't you pull up when he passed out?"

"He said something to me… that really hurt me…"

"What did he say? Nothing he could've said would've been that painful."

"Oh, no? You try havin' someone tell you they wish you would've just let them die!" Wild Eagle roared. Pierce couldn't move. ~So, that's what happened…~

"That's right!" he continued, "He said that he wished that in that first battle you two fought that I would've never saved him. Even if I am just a part of his mind, how can someone say something like that? All I've been trying to do was help and he just casts me aside like I'm worthless… You… don't really know how that feels."

"Stop being so selfish!"

"Selfish?"

"Yeah, that's right. You don't think I know how it feels? I devoted my life to the Backdraft and they were ready to kill me without hesitation! Stoler did everything he could to protect me, and now, he's in just as much trouble as I am! Don't you tell me that I don't know… that I don't understand!" Wild Eagle remained silent, as she unleashed her anger upon him. "How could you be so selfish? It's because of you that Jamie hasn't woken up yet, and all you can do is wallow in self-pity!"

"Hold on! My wanting to stay is selfish? What about him just diving into Tirano's gang like that? That's selfish! He wasn't even thinking about leaving you guys behind, and he definitely wasn't thinking about me!"

"There's that selfishness again! He was willing to sacrifice himself for doctor Tauros. Why aren't you willing to sacrifice your life for him? I thought you were stronger than that." Pierce's face was burning, her eyes swelling with tears. She never felt this angry before, and Wild Eagle was pained to see her practically on the verge of crying.

"I'm… sorry."

"You're damn right you're sorry! I guess that when you were thinking about letting him die, you weren't thinking about what would happen to you when he did."

"Of course I was! If he dies, then I die! So? That's what he said he wanted!"

"You coward…"

"I'm a coward? He's the one who was just gonna throw his life away!"

"No! He was trying to save everyone else's life! You were the one who was just going to throw it away! Let me ask you this. Do you really think you're not worth anything?"

"… what kind of question is that?"

"Just answer the question!"

"…no…"

"Well then, do you realize how much you mean to all of us? We think of you the same way we think of him! Now, let me ask you this. Do you think he didn't think you were worth anything?" Wild Eagle couldn't think of a good answer.

"I don't know…"

"Yeah, you do! You just don't wanna admit it. He trusted you with his life. How couldn't he care about you? He trusted you to help him fly better, and to bring us together. He trusted you out there, too, and you betrayed him." Pierce was sobbing. "How- how could you?"

"But, if he cared about me so much, why didn't he take my problem more seriously?"

"How could he help you? You gave him a problem he couldn't solve, and then you lashed at him when he couldn't solve it. What kind of friendship is that? Don't you think he wanted to help?"

"But, he never even thought about it!"

"That's because he was happy to have you there. He told me how concerned he was that you were being so quiet, and how much he hoped you would be okay. Don't you see? He wanted more than anything to help you, even if he didn't know how or what he was helping you with."

"I'm sorry… look, I can't tell you how sorry I am… you're right. I was afraid of death, and I didn't think about how he felt. I don't know how I can try to make up for what I've done, but I'll try." Pierce turned her back, and try as he might, he still wasn't strong enough to reach a hand out to comfort her. "Look, please go… I'm gonna do my best to bring Jamie back, but he needs his rest." Pierce got up, and as she walked towards the door, she still had one more question.

"Is he gonna be okay?"

"Yeah… I wouldn't even be able to talk to you if he wasn't." Pierce left, and Wild Eagle returned Jamie's body to its deep sleep. A day and a half passed, and there were still no signs that he was going to wake up, but Pierce, who believed what Wild Eagle told, her, held on to her fragile hope that she would see Jamie alive and well again.

______________

Layon was walking hastily toward the prison cells of the Backdraft base, behind him Tirano and a regular soldier. His smile had never reached this level of brightness. Normally, he smile out of arrogance and cockiness. This time, however, the only thing that seemed to seep out of his face was… pure joy. Turning a corner, he walked down a narrow corridor, and waited while the soldier unlocked the door on the end, humming gleefully as the soldier opened the door. He descended down a long, twisting staircase, and Tirano followed, but not in such a happy mood as Layon. If it weren't for the fact that he was working with Layon, he would have been growling right now. Layon, who stopped abruptly upon noticing this, turned around and faced his associate, beaming proudly.

"What's the matter? You can't seriously be angry today. We've captured Tauros, my boy!" he said as he slapped Tirano on the back. Tirano simply stood there, not even reacting to the slap. This unnerved Layon a bit, but not enough to take any happiness from his expression. "Come on, tell me what's wrong." He could hear Tirano mutter something, but was unable to catch it. "I can't hear you."

"… didn't… Raynos pilot…" was all he heard the second time as Tirano restated his muttered complaint. Layon simply smiled more; nothing could take his happiness away today.

"Relax! I told you we'd get the Raynos pilot, and I'm always a man of my word. Right now, can't you at least smile since everything's going according to plan? Growling all the time is healthy, you know?" Tirano formed the fakest, feeblest smile on his face before Layon decided to continue walking. They continued down for about five minutes and reached the holding cells. There were a bunch of regular cells lined up on either side, but Layon paid no attention to any of these. His attention, however, was drawn to the last cell-a metal door at the end of the hall with a valve that seemed to be for more dangerous prisoners-and he proceeded to it, humming and completely ignoring Tirano, who had begun growling again the minute he turned his back. The soldier walked forward, turned the valve, and waited patiently for Layon and Tirano to step in.

Inside were the makings of a torture chamber, with electrical shock equipment in one corner, and old-fashioned torture rack in the other, a vat that seemed like it was used to hold acid or boiling oil, and in the center of the room, on the wall across the chamber, was a man shackled by his arms in a white coat-Doctor Tauros. He looked up at them, and groaned as he drooped his head again, and it seemed like he muttered "Oh, no…" under his breath. He hadn't been harmed yet, but he knew it was possible with Layon in the room.

"Um, sir…" the soldier began, a little uneasy from the scenery, "do you think that we should put him in this cell?" Layon looked at him in complete confusion.

"Why? Is this enough? I could always put more security and torture equipment in here…"

"Um, that's not what I meant. Don't you think this is a little too much for him?" Layon's smile faded.

"Of course not… this will do just fine."

"But, he's harmless…" The soldier shuddered and regretted saying anything a few seconds later, because Layon snapped on him.

"HARMLESS? LOOK AT HIM!" he roared as he pointed at Tauros, who looked up again to see what all of the commotion was about.

"Yeah, he looks harmless."

"FOR GOD'S SAKE! HE'S EVIL!" Tauros grinned.

"Yeah, I'm Satan in the flesh…" he said sarcastically, which only annoyed Layon even more. Tirano, who had been complaining the entire time, only sweatdropped, looking nervous at the entire scene. He was only relieved that he wasn't in Tauros' position.

"SHUT UP, TAUROS!"

"Whatever, Layon…" Tauros retorted, but his own smiled faded when Layon's began to resurface, and he felt a chill go down his spine as Layon began to chuckle as well.

"Steven, Steven, Steven… you never knew when to keep your mouth shut. I'm sure you've seen all of the er… decorations in here… I hope you'll be a little more cooperative and… A LOT LESS ANNOYING! SHUT UP, DAMMIT!" Tauros cringed. He realized he couldn't afford to push any wrong buttons at the moment; Layon had the mentality of an unstable asylum patient. Tirano and the soldier backed away slowly, trembling in almost the same way that Tauros had. Layon turned to face them. "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?" Tirano gathered his courage and spoke, fear still seeping through his voice.

"Uh… it's pretty apparent that you don't need us, so we'll just go… that is, if you don't mind..."

"YOU'LL STAY RIGHT HERE!" Layon demanded, drawing two yelps from the two. His expression calmed down to mere growling, which was how he continued to talk. "I'll need all the help I can get with this one… you have no idea how tricky he can be… he thinks just like a criminal mastermind." At this, Tauros couldn't help but snicker, which really irritated Layon, who turned at that exact moment, but Tauros couldn't silence himself. Looking at Layon's face wasn't much help either, because it made Tauros burst out laughing. "You see? He's going insane right now!" Tauros roared even louder with laughter.

"Something funny, Tauros?" he snarled. Tauros looked him directly in the eyes, still slightly laughing. The soldier took this opportunity to run, but Tirano was petrified with fear, and he had forgotten completely about the Wild Eagle.

"Layon, you're so full of yourself! When are you going to let go of what happened with her?"

"YOU STOLE HER FROM ME! HOW DARE YOU LAUGH AT MY MISERY?"

"I still don't see how that makes me evil…"

"You would think Stormsworders, stealth shields, anti-gravity surges and weather machines would be enough to finish a man off… but noooo! You keep slipping through my clutches every time! How do you explain that if you're not evil?"

"Layon, when are you going to realize that evil has nothing to do with it? It just so happens that there's a logical, very simplistic answer that I'm surprised your ingenious mind couldn't figure out."

"And what would that be?" he hissed.

"You're just incompetent!" Tauros responded in a fast, matter-of-fact tone. Layon was about to snap, but calmed down at the last minute, thinking better of it. Layon wasn't goig to let Tauros get the best of him. Tauros' smile was now full-grown, and Tirano let out a sigh of pure relief.

"I'll deal with you later. I've got other things to tend to…" Layon started to smile, which did not affect Tauros in the least. "Please enjoy your stay down here… you'll be here for as long as possible if I can help it." Tauros just continued to smile as he watched Layon walk away.

"Oh, I will, even though your cooking stinks and the beds are lumpy!" Layon froze, prepared to turn, but just snarled and stormed off, which was to Tauros' great satisfaction.

"You know, we've got better things to do than to watch the two of you argue…"

"I know, Tirano. That's why I'm initiating phase two of the plan…"

___________

Pierce walked out to the great attention of the rest of the Tauros base, all of which looked up at her. She shook her head, and they all got the message. ~Sorry… I wish there was more I could do.~ She didn't even know how she had managed to look them all in the eye when she felt so badly like crying. It was a feat that she didn't even turn to run. Now, she knew the truth. It wasn't a game that Jamie and the Wild Eagle were playing with her; both of them loved her and both of them wanted her in their own right. She now also knew exactly who had done what to win her affection just by not talking with the two of them, but listening. Jamie had been the gentler one, the one who felt he owed the truth to her; Wild Eagle had been the reckless one, acting mainly on impulse and emotion, but amazing her with his carefree attitude. She sat in a distant corner of the room -- no one dared get up to stop her -- and she began to wonder if she could ever forgive half of a man she loved fully.

She didn't even have time to think of what she would say to the rest of the base, as the com-link had just come on. It was Layon.

"Sooo… you're still sulking? Why? And on such a beautiful day?" Layon exclaimed, one of his happier-looking smiles seeping through his face. The whole of the base stood up, and Bit was the first to take a shot at him.

"You… bastard! Give Doc back to us!"

"Nope, sorry. No can do." A look of triumph emerged on his face, and he almost burst out laughing. "Sorry. You'll all see that what I'm doing is best fo-" He stopped short, looking at Leena, her fists clenched and her teeth gritting with rage. Even from the safety of the com-link, looking at her expression, he couldn't help but give a slight shudder of fear at the thought that she might jump through the screen at any second. "Leena?"

"How could you? I thought you cared about me! What kind of love is this? You took my father!"

"Now, Leena, dear. I'm only acting in your best interests. Give it time and I'm-"

"I DON'T WANT TO GIVE IT TIME! I WANT MY FATHER BACK!" she roared, cutting him off.

"No, dammit!" Layon froze. What he just said had startled him extremely, and apparently, it had surprised Leena, too. He was afraid she would hate him, yell at him, but what she did made him feel like that would have been a more bearable punishment; she turned and ran off down the corridors, sobbing. A look of complete sorrow on his face, he regretted for the first time being on the other side of the screen where he couldn't apologize or give her any form of consolation. Bit stood up, leered at him, and chased after her. Layon, still dumbstruck by his outburst at the person whom he cherished most, had no choice but to continue with the plan. He straightened up, regained his composure, and faced the rest of the base, all of whom now dawning expressions not too far from Leena's, but it was more tolerable without having to look into her enraged face.

"What do you want?" Ashley hissed. "I never thought you would stoop this low, Layon, especially not after all the years you spent at school with him! To think you could let anything make that amount to nothing-"

"Now, you listen here!" Layon retorted dangerously. "What I do is none of your business, and you of all people should be agreeing with me! What with everything that happened with Yusef and all… the Backdraft took him away-"

"AND YOU'RE WORKING FOR THEM NOW!" she roared in a finalizing tone. "HOW DARE YOU TRY TO SPEAK ABOUT HIM WHEN YOU'VE JOINED THE VERY GROUP THAT KILLED HIM!" Ashley gave herself a few seconds to catch her breath. "You're a disgrace and a coward… that's all you are." Layon would have been phased by this, as he felt that all of his friends were turning on him with such acidic words of hatred, which seemed to melt his skin painfully after every unbearable syllable, but he felt that what he had to say was more important.

"Anyway," he started, trying his hardest to push her last words as far from his mind as possible, "I have an ultimatum for you all. I will give you back your precious 'Doc',"--the group looked hopeful--" but under one condition. You must give me the Raynos…"

"We'll do it!" shouted Brad. "It's a small price to pay, of course but-"

"And," Layon interrupted, "the fool who piloted it." The group went silent. The hope that filled their faces now converted back to anger, and it couldn't have been possible for them to be any angrier now than they were at this very moment; each of their faces looked exactly like Leena's…

How dare you say such a thing?

DO YOU HAVE ANY SHAME AT ALL?

When I get my hands on you…

YOU'VE LOST YOUR MIND!

How much more suffering are you going to cause?

… Layon flinched. He really didn't want to take anyone but Tauros, but…

"It's not for me! I promised Tirano the Raynos pilot's head!" Oscar stood up at this outrageous and completely horrible excuse.

"You'd put fifteen years of friendship between us down the drain because you're keeping a promise to a stranger? I thought you had much better morals than that… but I see I wasted my good opinions on you, Layon! I've watched you and Steven fight all the time, but this is going too far!"

"I HAVE NO CHOICE! EITHER GIVE HIM TO US AND SAVE ONE PERSON, OR I'LL BE FORCED TO COME AND TAKE YOU ALL!" His expression calmed. "Don't you see? The Backdraft will want that if they can get it, and you've got the Liger Zero and the Legend there. It's the only way! Stop blaming everything on me! It's not my fault!"
"IT IS YOUR FAULT! FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS!" Oscar countered almost immediately. Layon knew that arguing for their understanding was getting nowhere, and he also knew that was not what he called here to do.

"I'll give you one day to decide. Good bye." The com-link turned instantly. Everyone looked at each other. How were they going to hand over not only the Raynos, but Jamie as well? How could they hand Jamie over? Even if he had volunteered to go, he most certainly would not have wanted to surrender his Zoid as well. That was his most prized possession, even more so now because he had grown to love it more than the Pteras to which he had once been extremely attached. On another note, he was in no condition to make a decision, and while Pierce was the only one who knew the Wild Eagle was still conscious, she also knew he had not yet succeeded in bringing Jamie around. Once again, Oscar stood up, and he spoke in a voice so solemn and sincere that the entire group shuddered at his words.

"I'll go."

"But, Oscar," Ashley replied worriedly, "Layon said he wanted Jamie. He won't be too pleased if he finds you and not your son."

"Yeah, but even so, if he still asks for Jamie, I'll be there with him. He said he wanted the fool who piloted the Raynos; he didn't say which one."

"Shouldn't you ask Jamie about this?"

"How can I? He's unconscious, and we've only got a day. It's the only way. Besides, with me, him, and Steve on the inside and the rest of you on the outside, we'll be able to find a way out."

"I think you're right." The group turned to face Stoller. "This is the best way, and you wouldn't really be alone there. I've still got connections in the base that would be willing to help. Of course, I'd have to make sure they didn't get caught. Palta, a friend of mine, helped me rescue Pierce."

"Oh, yeah! I forgot about Palta. I don't know, Stoller. It really doesn't seem like such a good idea to ask for his help again. He's already done more than he should have without getting caught. It wouldn't be a good idea to make him risk his neck again."

"If it pushes that far, he'll leave the Backdraft. I don't think he'd mind doing it again. He thinks that Layon's crazy, just like me. This is going too far."

"Then it's settled," said Oscar with a sense of closure. "I'll go get my things ready." In less than a half hour, Oscar was completely situated in the Raynos and, giving last minute glances of farewell to the others, he flew off towards what was unmistakably his goal of destination: the Backdraft base."

So, what did you think? I've had severe writer's block for months on end, and found it extremely difficult to finish this, though I've been half done for the longest. I really hate the way my scene with the Wild Eagle and Pierce in the hospital ward turned out, but I'll leave it to you guys to decide on the quality of it. Soooo… what to expect next time? Yes, Layon isn't too pleased with Oscar's arrival, and obviously, neither is Tirano. Jamie awakens, and upon hearing this, decides to go give himself to the Backdraft as well. Next time! The Spirit of the Wild Eagle… oh yeah. Almost forgot! Assalaamu 'alaikam!

-Yusef "The B.A.T." Pittman