Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Dealing... ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 9
 
Raven smiled at the advancing figure. "You would be the sub-conscious."
The second Beastboy smiled broadly as he bowed to her, "You are correct, dear Raven. Hello, Beastboy."
"Um, hi." Beastboy found himself vaguely disturbed to be talking to himself.
"Beastboy! You know, you should listen to me more often, I have some good stuff to say, but you never listen."
"Uh, sorry?"
"Just, listen from now on, okay?"
"Yeah, I'll try."
"What caused this devastation?"
"Ah, that would be our instincts. When we saw you go down the other day, well, he lost control entirely. When I was finally able to stop him, after the robot was destroyed, I stuck him here till he calmed down."
Beastboy spoke up again, "We need to talk to him."
"I see. What do you intend to say?"
"I need him to stop taking control."
"I agree, it is a danger, and a hindrance, but you will not convince him of this."
"It's worth a shot."
The subconscious pointed down a winding path. "He lives in a cave at the end. Good luck, and try not to get us killed."
Beastboy grinned, "I don't intend to."
Beastboy and Raven walked down the darkened path, picking there way carefully over exposed roots and fallen branches. At the end of the path they found a forbidding cave. "I wonder if he's even home."
"You're not leaving now are you, Beastboy?"
"No, just nervous."
Raven studied the cave thoughtfully. "Hello?" she called out, loudly.
After a moment they heard some scraping from inside the cave. A large fur covered form lurked inside. "What?" The voice, deep and guttural, did not sound happy.
"We need to talk." Raven elbowed the silent Beastboy, "You're the one that has to do this."
Beastboy nodded. "You have to stop what you're doing." he hollered down to the cave.
The monster within the cave snickered. With loud footsteps it walked out of the cave, into the light. It grinned up at Beastboy and Raven, standing on a small rise, "Stop? Stop what?"
Beastboy swallowed hard, "You have to stop taking control."
"No. You can not protect her."
"She doesn't need to be protected by us."
"She was hurt so recently, I can still smell her wound."
Beastboy glanced at Raven before continuing. "If you keep doing this, then we won't be able to protect her at all."
"Ah yes, we are off the team. Do you really think that will stop us? Nothing can hold us, Beastboy, nothing."
"And what if you hurt someone?" Raven asked.
"I would do anything to protect you, my love." The voice sounded calmer, gentler.
"You need to stop taking control."
"If I stop, if I leave you in the care of this... this buffoon, you would be hurt again, I will not allow."
The communicator on Raven's cloak flashed, "Raven, trouble."
Raven sighed before she replied, "I'll be right there." She turned to the monster, "We will have to finish this later."
Both she and Beastboy took flight, heading for the portal. They stepped through and found themselves in Raven's room. "Beastboy, don't go back in without me, okay?"
"Right."
Raven's communicator sounded again, "Raven, come on, Light's hitting a bank."
"This shouldn't take long."
"I know."
Beastboy watched as Raven walked out of her room. After the door closed the voices started. "Protect her, follow her."
"No. You are too dangerous."
"You are too weak, nothing can stop us."
"If we go, Robin will find a way to stop us."
"You would allow her to be hurt?"
"No, but,"
"Of course not, go find her, protect her."
"No."
He heard the beast let out a blood chilling roar, "Then I will."
Beastboy felt his control slipping, felt the beast trying to force itself out. "No." He concentrated, forcing the beast back down. "I won't let you take control.”
Beastboy leaned back, closing his eyes. Something was bothering, something in the back of his mind, trying to be heard. Beastboy stood, grabbing the mirror off the desk. “Enough of this.”
When he arrived in the forest, Beastboy looked around in irritation, “Alright, if you've got something to say, than say it.”
His subconscious stepped out of the shadows. “I'm not supposed to just tell you what you need to do.”
“Then break the rules.”
“Fine. What you are dealing with are your instincts. They are a part of you. Raven mentioned that they are a part of you that you aren't willing to deal with. If you accept them, what would happen?”
“I don't know.”
Beastboy's subconscious sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “You won't accept them, so they fight you. If you accept them, you will bring the under control, animal instincts tempered by human intellect, got it yet?”