Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Acceptance... ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10
 
Beastboy landed in the clearing outside of the cave. "Hey, Beast, get out here"
The beast stepped out of his cave, settling on all fours, "What?"
"I realized something."
"Yeah? I'm so happy for you. Raven could be getting hurt right now."
"I know. That's why I'm going to make this quick."
"What?"
"I realized that I don't have to fight you."
"No, just give up."
"No, you can't fight back."
"Come again?"
"You are a part of me." Beastboy started walking towards the beast one hand outstretched, palm forward. "I never was able to accept you, I always fought against you. What if I stopped fighting you?"
"Then I would kill you and take over."
"No, you can't kill me, you'd kill yourself in the process. If I stop fighting you, if I accept you, then I win."
The beast gave a low growl as his only warning before lunging at Beastboy, claws outstretched, until he stopped as though he had hit a solid wall. A golden flash filled the clearing. "If I use you instead of fight you, you tempered with human intelligence, then I win."
Another flash filled the clearing and the beast fell back with a look of shock, "What?" The beast stared in horror as it started to dissolve into glowing golden energy. Soon it was gone, though Beastboy could still feel it influencing every thought.
He looked down at his hands, balling them up into fists then opening them. He knew something more had changed now that he was allowing himself to feel his instincts fully. He shifted into a bird and flew back to the gate that would let him out of his mind.
The subconscious stepped out of the shadows of the forest. “So you finally did it.”
“Yeah. How long had I been that way?”
“Since you were four or so. Do you feel any different?”
“I don't know. Maybe.”
There conversation was ended by Beastboy's communicator, “Help, Beas… Light…”
Without hesitation Beastboy stepped through the gate, back into Raven's room. He yanked open a window and leaped out without thinking, shifting into a bird he landed on the ground outside the tower and shifted into his human form.
Beastboy stood and sniffed the air. He could smell Raven's trail as she had flown to the warehouse that Light attacked. He took to the air again following her scent trail that he could almost see.
 
Dr. Light laughed as he watched the four glowing orbs floating in front of him in the abandoned ware house. Every so often one of them would bulge as the human contents would struggle to escape. "I can't believe I have finally captured you, Titans. Glorious day." He studied the orbs for another moment, "One of you is missing. Beastboy, I think. Where could he be."
"Right here, Light."
Dr. Light spun and saw Beastboy's form crouching in the shadows. "I didn't here you come in. Why don't you come into the light?" Dr. Light leveled one of his bulky gauntlets at Beastboy and fired a bolt of condensed light.
Beastboy dodged easily as it flew past. "Too easy, Light." Beastboy leapt, sending himself flying at Light, his fingers extending into claws. He raked them over one gauntlet, cutting deep gashes and bringing sparks.
"Foolish child." Dr. Light chided as he turned, firing several more bolts out of his remaining gauntlet. "You are all alone. There is no way your friends will be able to get out of the bubbles."
"I don't need any help to beat you." He threw himself at Light again, his fangs lengthening as he flew. Dr. Light brought his hand up, stopping Beastboy in a field of light.
"You do, dear boy, you can't beat me alone." With a flash a fifth orb appeared, this one trapping Beastboy. "No more Titans to stop me. Now, I can rule!"
He stopped at a strange tearing sound. He turned and watched as claws tore through Beastboy's bubble. They tore four long gashes down one side, allowing Beastboy to escape.
Beastboy grinned at the criminal. He was standing next to one of the bubbles. "Let's find out who's behind door number one." He tore through it, allowing Starfire to tumble to the floor.
"Friend Beastboy, you came."
"Course I came, Star. You distract this guy, I'll free the others."
"Yes, friend."
While Starfire fought Dr. Light, Beastboy clawed through each bubble, freeing each of the Titans. After they were free, Beastboy gave Raven a brief hug, "You okay?"
"I'm fine. We've got a bad guy to get."
They turned and saw that Starfire was trapped in another bubble, and Dr. Light was trying to sneak away. Beastboy grinned, he crouched down and jumped probably fifty feet, landing on Dr. Light's back, driving him to the ground. "Don't run from a predator, Light, it just spurs us on."
Beastboy shredded the last gauntlet, effectively leaving Dr. Light weaponless. Beastboy stood, lifting Light by the collar. He turned as the rest of the Titans walked up to him. "Hey, guys. I got him."
Robin looked vaguely worried, "Um, good job, Beastboy. I didn't know you could do that."
"Neither did I, actually."
"So, you wanna explain what's going on?"
Beastboy lifted Dr. Light. "How about you guys take care of this and I need to talk to Raven."
"Sure, we'll meet you two at the tower."
Cyborg took Dr. Light from Beastboy with a grin, "Glad you could join us man."
"You mean you're glad that I showed up in time to save you guys, right?"
Cyborg shrugged, "How ever you want to look at it."
"We'll take care of him, you two head back to the tower."
After the others had left, Raven turned to Beastboy. "Want to head back?"
"Yeah." Beastboy closed his eyes, seeming to concentrate.
"What are you doing?"
"Shhh. I'm going to try something." He closed his eyes again, concentrating. His back seemed to bulge, rippling as though something was fighting to get out. Long black wings burst from his back, seeming to meld with his shirt as well, not tearing it. "Cool, it works." He grinned at Raven, “Wanna race?”