Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ After the honey moon... ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N, Thank you for the reviews, they mean a lot to me.
I just wanted to reply to Akira Suzuki's post: "I like it so far it's just.......don't you think they are going too fast? I mean come on, a wedding. Well let me just say that the romance absolutely swept me away."
People in extreme high risk careers, throwing oneself in the path of every super powered nut job that moves into town for example, they tend to move fast in everything, also, though they've not been dating for very long, they have known each other for five years by the time my story takes place, so I don't think it's totally unrealistic. Thanks also for the comment at the end, I didn't consider the romance to be that good.

A Raven's Cry

Chapter 15

Beastboy sat in front of a blazing campfire, with Raven sitting in front of him, his legs on either side of her, and he had his arms wrapped around her as he stared into the fire. He brought one hand up to pull a few errant strands of hair out of Raven's face, tucking them carefully behind her ear before kissing her lightly on the back of her neck, "I can't believe it's been a week already." He stared at the scar on the palm of his hand, the soot turning it permanently black, the symbol of their commitment.
Raven twisted around until their lips met briefly, "Tomorrow we'll be back in the city, then on to home."
"Home sounds nice." They sat staring silently into the fire for a moment before Beastboy stiffened, "Did you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
Beastboy shook his head, "Maybe I'm hearing..." he paused, "No, I know I heard that." He jumped to his feet and stared warily into the darkness as Raven stood. A blast of light from the trees struck Beastboy in the back, throwing him to the ground in a smoking heap. Raven ran to his side with a small cry and threw up an energy shield as she checked him for injury. Beyond some singing on his shirt, the blast seemed to have no effect on him. She shook him lightly and was rewarded by a soft groan. "What happened?"
"It looked like magic, I think someone's attacking us." The energy shield that protected them shook suddenly, almost collapsing under the impact of several blasts. "We're gonna have to fight, hon."
Beastboy stood and seemed to look expectant, then fearful. "I can't change."
"What?"
"My powers, they're not working." he sounded close to panicking.
"They've blocked your powers, the spell will fade, but for now just stay down, okay?"
Beastboy nodded with a pained look on his face before grabbing a large branch off the ground. "I'm ready."
"Don't do anything stupid." Raven dropped her shield and lashed out, her eyes glowing white and her hands encased in black energy. They both heard grunt as she sent a tree into the darkness. She brought her shields up as blasts of energy flew in from several directions simultaneously. Raven was about to retaliate, when she was stopped by cries of pain from the woods. "Looks like we have an ally." She continued attacking their unseen assailants until the attacks on them ended. Finally a man dressed in a long black cape fell into the clearing, followed by another man, this one with drawn sword.
The swordsman sheathed his weapon before looking up at the two newlyweds. "Raven, it's been too long."
Raven gasped, "Alex? You became a bloodhound?"
"Yeah, surprised me too."
Raven glanced back at Beastboy who was fuming because of his inability to protect his wife. She grabbed his hand and pulled him next to her. "Beastboy, this is Alex, he was my best friend when we were younger."
Beastboy nodded, "Nice to meet you." He suddenly clamped his foot down on the corner of the attackers cape, before he could crawl out of the clearing. He glared down at him, "You're not going anywhere." He picked the smaller man up by the collar. "Why did you attack us?"
The man tried to pull himself out of Beastboy's grasp, "You will never get answers out of me."
Beastboy growled low in his throat as he pushed the man's hood back. Turning to Alex he asked, "You know him?"
Alex nodded. "Timothy, what's going on?"
"The great Azar came to us in our dreams. She bade us to destroy the destroyer and the abomination that she would call lover." he spit in Beastboy's face. "I only regret my failure."
Beastboy dropped him flat before wiping his face with his sleeve, "Who's Azar?" His voice was low, barely controlled.
Alex shook his head, "Azar founded out city, but she is dead, long dead."
The man on the ground raved on, "She has ascended, she is a goddess. She gave us the spell to break the infernal powers given to the protector of the daughter of Trigon."
Raven's eyes widened. She turned to Beastboy and used her powers to feel for the spell that bound him, her fears confirmed. "It's an infernal spell, it was created by demons."
The man on the ground screamed out at them, "You lie! It was crafted by the great Azar!"
"You've become a puppet for my father, you fool."
"Never, I was ordered to destroy the daughter of Trigon!"
Beastboy could feel Raven starting to lose control of her darker emotions as she prepared to return his screams with her own. He laid a hand on her shoulder, trying to stop her, "If Trigon's made a move here, then he may have attacked the tower too."
Raven's eyes widened in horror that her friends could already be dead. "We have to leave now." She turned to Alex and saw that he was offering her an envelope.
"Your mother had a vision, she told me to make sure you read this before you left."
Raven took the envelope and scanned the few words on it, confusion marring her brow, "Why can't a seer ever give straight answers?"
Beastboy looked over her shoulder, but the writing was in strange runes, "What does it say?"
"It says 'Always remember that emotions have a power all their own.'"
"Maybe we'll figure it out when we need it."
Raven nodded. "Bye, Alex." She put an arm around Beastboy and drew her cloak around them both, encasing them in black energy. In an instant they were gone.

--------------------

Raven moaned a little as in pain when she woke. She was hanging by tight shackles that were biting into her wrists and felt like they had been there for some time. After she managed to stand on shaky legs she called out, "Beastboy? Are you there?"
"Ah, my dear Raven. You've finally woken." A voice replied from the darkness.
The voice sent chills down Raven's spine, but she managed to keep her voice steady, "Damien, still my father's lap dog?"
"Never his lapdog, my dear, his lieutenant." A torch was lit, revealing the demon sorcerer that she was speaking with. "And my latest task is to cause you pain."
"I never expected my father to relegate torture to an underling, he enjoys it so much."
"He needs you alive, my dear, he never manages to keep his victims alive for more than a few hours." He lit another torch, revealing Beastboy's unmoving form, "I'm much more subtle in my methods of torture."


Converting /tmp/phpuMVHP7 to /dev/stdout