Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Waking up... ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: I know at least one person had a problem with this being a vampire fic. I have not personally seen many TT stories that deal with vampires, so I'll leave it the way it is for now. I'm sorry for the long pause since updating, couldn't seem to sit down and write at all the last week or so. Please R&R.
Also, shameless plug, I've got a third story updating now, it is all original this time, a high fantasy story if you're interested. It's hosted on this site and www.fictionpress.com, and it is entitled "Lessa's Journey"
On mediaminer it can be found at: http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/97390/
On www.fictionpress.com it can be found at: http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1933106

A Raven's Cry

Chapter 17

Raven stared out at the rising sun, toying with one of her own ceremonial daggers. The sun had been up for some time, so the deed was done, and she felt silent tears run down her face at this thought. She did not respond when she heard a soft knock on the door, or when she heard it slide open. She stood in stony silence until she felt a pair of strong arms encircle her waist and pull her close. "It's okay, I'm here now."
Raven turned and threw her arms around Beastboy's neck, pulling him closer. "I thought I'd lost you." She said through her tears.
"Lost me? A little vampire curse, and severe stab wound aren't enough to keep me away from you." He gently ran his hand through Raven's violet hair as he spoke. "Robin's got to work on his bedside manner, though. One minute I'm sound asleep, next thing I know, I'm being blinded when he yanked open the blinds."
Raven laughed into his chest, "That's my fault. I didn't think you would want to be a blood sucker."
"Nope." Beastboy paused, a worried look on his face, "I'm not going t be one, am I?"
"No, the ritual failed."
"Good" Beastboy gently took Raven's hands and lifted them to see her bruised and swollen wrists, "You should have these looked at."
As they watched her wounds slowly faded. "Not necessary. How are you?"
"Sore, but nothing I can't live with." Beastboy looked around her darkened room, "Uh, Raven, a bunch of your stuff is missing."
Raven looked around her room carefully for the first time since returning. "You're right." Several of her shelves were entirely bare, thankfully all the missing items were the more mundane items in her collection. "Where'd..." She was interrupted by a soft knocking on the door.
Raven waved her hand and the door slid open, revealing Starfire. "Friends, in honor of your safe return, I have prepared a breaking of the fast feast. Robin has also mentioned the removal of the brief. Please, friends, what is this 'brief' and why must it be removed?"
"It just means he wants to find out what happened, why we came back early and everything." Beastboy answered her.
"I see." Starfire held up a black and purple shirt that she held. "Friend Beastboy, Robin asked me to bring you this.
"Oh, thanks, Star." In his rush to find Raven, Beastboy had forgotten that his shirt was destroyed in the ritual.
As they walked out, Raven remembered her missing belongings. "Star, do you know if anything happened in my room?"
"No, friend Raven, perhaps you should ask the others after the removing of the brief.:
Once in the dining area, Beastboy and Raven sat side by side at plates of pancakes, while Starfire sat next to Robin at a bowl of an unidentifiable mash. The gathered friend eat mostly in silence, their excitement at the early return of Beastboy and Raven tempered by the condition in which they came back. Soon the meal was finished and the Titans moved to the couches so that Raven and Beastboy could recount the events of their shortened honey moon.
Because the initial attack occurred in Azerath, Raven did not think that giving a detailed account of it was necessary, only enough to let the Titans know why they came back early. "When I tried to teleport us back, we were diverted to a cave nearby, by one of my father's lieutenants, Damien. He put sleeping spells on both of us, he tried to use Beastboy to make a vampire."
Robin interrupted her, "A vampire? You mean like Bram Stoker's vampire?"
"Yeah, Vlad Dracula, the world's most famous vampire." Raven leaned on Beastboy as she continued. "I stopped it before the ritual had gone far enough to work."
"So your father knows?"
Raven took a deep shuddering breath, "Yes, he knows. I think we made a mistake."
Beastboy almost jumped to his feet at her statement, "Excuse me?"
"It's not just us in danger, it's the city. I swore to protect this city, and now I've put it in more danger than any super villain."
Robin leaned back in his seat, folding his arms. "You're right that we should have considered the possibility, but it's too late for regrets now. What's done is done, so I hope you can be happy with each other." He paused, seeming to collect his thoughts, "So, what can we expect now?"
"Well, I took care of Damien. You can't kill a demon, you can only inconvenience them for a while, and he's the only one working for my father that can performs that ritual. Vampires are out of the question for a while." Raven stared at the floor between her feet as she spoke. "His next move will be to co-opt a pre-existing organization. It will take time for him to get a force large enough to take the city here, so he'll use one that's already here."
"Like a criminal organization?" Cyborg asked.
"Not necessarily. They're easy to twist, but he likes it better when betrayal comes from a trusted source. He'll keep us busy with that until Damien has gotten himself a new body. Trigon rarely abandons a plan, so we can expect to fight vampires someday."
Cyborg stood. "I'm gonna go set up the computers to watch for any suspicious activity among the known teams that could pose a threat to us." When Robin nodded in agreement he stood and walked out.
"And I," said Beastboy as he stood, "am going to go take a nap. I've been sleeping all day, but I'm exhausted."
Raven stood as well, "I'll join you." Together they walked out of the room, and towards their rooms. "So," Raven asked as she leaned on Beastboy, "your room or mine?"
"Mine's closer." They were already at his room so he slid his door open, revealing a perfectly empty room. "What happened to all my stuff?!" They turned to the sound of footsteps behind them and saw the rest of the team walking up the hall.
"We forgot to tell you," said Robin, "we did a little something for you two for your wedding." They led the two newly weds down the hall to a door set apart from the others. Two nameplates were attached to the door, one each for Beastboy and Raven. "Go on in." Robin said, slapping the button that would open the door.
Beastboy and Raven walked into the large room. It was painted in black with dark green molding, plunging the room in somber darkness. Against one wall was a pile of boxes, from some Beastboy's belongings could be seen. Shelves on the opposite wall held Raven's missing belongings. "You moved my stuff?" Raven asked.
"Yeah, man." Cyborg answered. "We were gonna move all of it, but we decided to stop when a book started screamin' at us to put it down."
"Yeah, you've gotta be careful when you're touching my things."
Beastboy's attention seemed to be riveted to the queen sized bed that seemed to dominate the room. "Thanks for this guys, but I'm already crashin'" he said.
"Yeah, we'll let you two get some rest, we'll see you later." Robin said as he let the door close.




A/N: I was surprised at the reaction that I got from the last chapter. I wouldn't kill off a main character, at least probably not. And for those of you who think vampire/Teen Titans fics are too over done, I've had this story planned out from beginning to end before I'd ever read a fanfic. In my opinion, I'm too far into it by now to change the main villains.