Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Back for what was taken... ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: Just wanted to say thanks for all the reviews, they mean a lot.

A Raven's Cry

Chapter 18

Beastboy lay in his bed, staring at his young wife, cradled in his arms. He smiled down at her as he thought of the last two weeks since they were married, and the life that he planned to lead with her. Two weeks since the wedding, and since that first brush with death, they had heard nothing from Trigon. Beastboy was almost allowing himself to hope that Trigon had given up. While he studied her features, she woke and smiled up at him, "Morning, Bb." She mumbled sleepily.
Beastboy ran his fingers through her tangled hair before leaning down to kiss her. At first she leaned into him, deepening the kiss, but then stiffened. Beastboy pulled back, confused. "Are you okay?"
Raven didn't answer. Instead she jumped out of their bed and ran to their bathroom, slamming the door after her. Beastboy ran to the door as he heard the sound of retching from beyond. Beastboy slid the door open and saw Raven kneeling in front of the toilet, her head hung low. He immediately grabbed a glass from the counter and filled it before kneeling next to her and laying his hand on her spasming back.
After a few more moments, Raven's stomach finally settled. She sat back and took the glass that Beastboy offered, using it to rinse her mouth out before taking a sip. "Not a very flattering sight, I'm sure." She remarked.
"It's okay. Are you feeling better now?"
"Yeah, I don't know what happened there." She started to stand, but before she could Beastboy had scooped her up and stood. He walked into the bedroom and laid her gently on the bed.
"Do you want me to go get you your tea?" he asked, concern etched into his features.
"No, I'm feeling better, I can get my own tea."
"If you're not feeling well..."
Raven silenced him with her glare. "I am not sitting in bed all day, if that's what you have in mind. I am feeling better." She stood on her own, pushing back Beastboy's attempts to help her. "See, I'm fine."
Beastboy examined her critically. He could sense some change in her, but couldn't identify it. Finally he sighed, "Fine, but you're taking it easy for today."
"I am fine."
"Raven, first thing you did today was throw up. Either you're sick, or I've got really bad morning breath, and you haven't complained about my breath yet."
Raven found herself laughing despite her irritation and her still roiling stomach. "Fine, I'll take it easy for today."
"Thank you." Beastboy's communicator beeped. He grumbled irritably as he pulled it off his belt. "Hive." He said as he checked the readout. Looking up at Raven, he was able to intercept her cloak that had flown out of the closet at her. "You're taking it easy, we can handle hive without this one time."
Raven shook her head, "I'm coming."
"And if you get sick again? In the middle of a fight? That'll be good for the press to get a hold of."
Raven closed her eyes with a sigh. "Fine, go. I'll make my tea."

--------------------

Raven picked up her mug of herbal tea from the counter and walked to one of the couches in the common's area. She sat it on the coffee table as she settled onto the end of it, settling a large leather-bound volume in her lap and, flipping it open to a book mark, she began reading. Before long, her forgotten tea had grown cold and she had read through nearly fifty pages of her book. She set it on the couch and picked up her mug before standing, intending to get a new cup. She turned to the kitchen, and almost screamed when she saw Damien standing in the doorway. "Raven, my dear, how have you been?"
Raven let the mug shatter on the floor. She lifted her hands, encased in her dark energy, but he was ready. A powerful blast of energy struck her in the chest, throwing her into the wall and pinning her there. She tried to activate her powers, but found them blocked off. "What are you here for?"
"My book, Raven. It was not in the cave, so I assume that you have it." With a wave of his hand he pulled Raven off the wall and walked out of the room, followed by her still unmoving form. She knew that he was heading for her room. "Don't bother trying your powers, I've designed this blocking spell just for you. It won't hold for long, but Trigon himself wouldn't be able to break it, not even with that nasty trick you pulled last time."
Raven pressed at the wall, despite his statement, but found that he had not been exaggerating by much, the wall would be impenetrable, and would last only half an hour. "You won't find it in time, this spell will wear off, and I'll take off your head."
"My my, so violent, my dear. There's no need for it." As he approached her door it flew off its track and into the room. He stepped into the room and looked around. "So many valuable items, Raven." He studied the bottles, daggers, statues, and books that covered her shelves. "Some very dangerous things just lying around."
"I keep my most dangerous things well hidden."
"I'm sure." Damien replied with a patronizing tone. He lifted a hand and a line of energy shot out, straight for the chest where she had locked his book. "Not very well hidden, my dear." He pushed everything off the chest and studied the ancient lock. With a shrug he shattered it and opened the apparently empty chest. "I must admit, this is a rather powerful spell you have centered here. Tell me, did you cast it just to hide my book, or do you have some other nasty stuff hidden away?"
Without waiting for an answer he tweaked the bit of reality that she had folded, creating an invisible pocket outside of reality. What had taken her a little over eight hours and several hundred dollars worth of rare spell ingredients, he dispelled almost instantly. Two books now lay in the chest. "See, no problem at all."
"Just take it and leave."
A voice came from the chest, "Dear maiden, whatever is vexing you?" asked a smooth voice.
Damien's eyes widened at it, "Malchior?"
After a long pause Malchior answered, "Damien, is that you?"
"Yes, long time no see, what's it been, twelve hundred years?"
"Rather longer. You wouldn't mind helping an old friend out of a bind, would you?"
"Figures you two would be pals." Raven said.
Damien looked back at her, "Yes, it's kind of amusing how we met, really. You see..."
"I'm not really interested."
"Damien, you wouldn't mind freeing me from this accursed book would you? It's been over a thousand years, and I'm a little stiff."
"I would, but I'm afraid that the other titans will be back soon, no time you see."
"Oh come on, just bring me with..."
Damien snapped the chest shut. "He always did talk too much." He turned to Raven again. "Well, it has been a pleasure seeing you again, my dear."
"The pleasure is all yours." Raven replied through clenched teeth.
"Yes, I'm sure. I do hope you're feeling well soon."
"How'd you know I was sick?"
Damien's eyebrows widened, "You mean you don't know?" He laughed openly at this, "This is rich, just too good. I'll let you figure out what is causing your affliction yourself. Until then, good day to you."
Beastboy flew in through the shattered doorframe, a strange mixture of human and animal parts. He dived at the fading form of Damien, letting out a cry of frustration as he pounded the floor. After calming himself down, he shifted back to his normal form and turned to Raven, who now found herself able to move. "Raven, are you okay? Did he hurt you?"
"They need me alive, physically you're in a lot more danger than me."
"So, you're okay?"
"I'm fine."
Beastboy studied her for a moment, "Then what's wrong?"
"Nothing's wrong, I'm just a little shook up."
"Nothing's wrong." He repeated, not believing her.
"That's right, nothing." she assured him as he wrapped his arms around her.