Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Spells... ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A Raven's Cry

Chapter 19

"Raven, I don't need you to help me fix the door, just take it easy, and I'll take care of it." Beastboy steered Raven toward the shattered door into their room.
Raven narrowed her eyes at Beastboy, "This is still about me not feeling well, isn't it?"
"Yes it is, and Robin says you have the day off."
"I don't need the day off, I'm fine."
Starfire popped up in the doorway, a covered bowl in her hands. "Friend Raven, Beastboy has said that you are feeling the sickness."
"I'm feel fine, Star, Beastboy's overreacting."
"Well," continued Starfire, "I have made you a Tamaranian dish that my k’norfka made for me when I was ill."
"Really, Star, I'm..." She fell silent when Star pulled the lid off the bowl, revealing a dark steaming mass that seemed to be moving on its own. Raven's eyes widened as she ran for the bathroom.

--------------------

Beastboy walked into the common room, and settled into the couch, next to Raven. "Feeling any better?"
Raven glared at him over the top of the large book she was reading, "Yes."
"Uh huh." was Beastboy's reply. He pulled Raven against him, her back to him, and looked over her shoulder. "What are you reading?"
"It's a spell book. There's one spell in here you might be interested in."
"Oh yeah? What is it?"
"It's a surprise." She looked up and Beastboy and saw his eyes carefully scanning the old text. "You might have a little trouble, it's in Latin."
Beastboy started quoting from the book, "And the joining of..." was as far as he got before Raven snapped it shut.
"Since when do you know Latin?"
"My parents were both doctors. Whenever they wanted to talk without me knowing what they were saying, they talked in Latin. I got a couple books and figured it out."
"You learned Latin for the sole purpose of finding out what your parents were talking about?"
"Yep. That lasted for about two days, then they switched to French."
"Well then." Raven spun so that her feet rested in Beastboy's lap, "I guess you can't see the book ."
"Aw, come on, what have you got planned?"
"Not telling. You'll find out tonight." The Titan's alarm went off. "You'd better go, have fun."
Beastboy stood and gave Raven a quick kiss, "I will." He ran out of the room, heading for whatever criminal they would have to face.
As soon as they were gone, Raven stood and walked to her room. She pulled down several other books, looking through them, searching for a passage she remembered seeing once. Finally she found it. After reading through it several times she returned it to its shelf and sat at her desk, staring thoughtfully at its empty surface.

--------------------

Beastboy skillfully guided his car along the narrow track. "I've got you this time, Cy."
"That's what you think, Grass stain."
The cars neared the finish line, and it looked as though Beastboy was going to win, until a warm breath on his sensitive ear, and the feeling of gentle fingers running a trail up his spine obliterated his ability to concentrate. As his car careened into and erupted into a ball of flames, Beastboy heard Raven's voice, "I'll be up on the roof meditating."
Beastboy managed a week nod as Raven's fingertips left his back. "Booyah, who's yo daddy?" Cyborg shouted as he danced around in front of the T.V., now labeling him as the winner.
"I was distracted!" Beastboy shouted back.
"Right, I guess that means you'd be able to beat me in a rematch."
"You're on." Beastboy hit the reset button, and soon both friends were guiding their digital cars around the race tracks. After a few more rounds without any decisive victor, Beastboy stood. "It's gettin' late, I'm gonna hit the sack."
"Yeah, man. Night."
Beastboy walked out of the room and made his way to the roof. He stepped out, expecting to see Raven hovering near the roof access door, but instead saw her standing near the edge. He walked over to her and followed her vision upward. "What's up?" He asked.
"Nothing, just reading."
"Oh." Beastboy stared at the clear stars for another moment before, "Anything good?"
Raven smiled at him, "Yeah." She grabbed his hand and pulled him to the roof access, "Come on, I told you I'd show you that spell."
Once in their room, Beastboy could only stare in wonder as jars, bowls, and one book seemed to fly around Raven's room on their own. "So, what is this spell?"
Everything in the room paused as Raven turned to Beastboy. "I think it might help calm you down a little, maybe not be so overprotective." She held up her hand showing the long black scar that matched Beastboy's "The spell will join these. After I complete, if you want me to that is, we will be able to sense each other’s emotions at will. Either of us can open or close the link whenever we want to. This way, if either one of us is in danger, we'll know immediately."
"Cool. I think I'd like that."
"Also, it will tell you if I'm sick. You'll be able to sense more about my physical state than I can."
"So, I'll know if you're lying about not feeling well."
"Right." Raven answered with a smirk. "And for the record, I was feeling fine until Star opened that bowl. She turned back to her spell ingredients and soon had a bowl of light blue powder. "One more ingredient." she said, turning to Beastboy with a pin.
"What is it with you and blood?"
"This spell deals with our souls, any spell dealing with a persons soul needs a drop of blood." She pricked her own finger and allowed a drop of blood to fall into the bowl. "Now, let me see your hand." Beastboy offered her his hand with a sigh. "Don't be such a baby, it won't hurt." She pricked his finger as gently as possible, and watched his drop of blood join her's. "All set."
Raven mixed in liquid she had prepared in another bowl and set down the results. She picked up a paintbrush and dipped the bristles in the mixture. "Your hand please." Beastboy offered her his hand with the scar. She painted a set of simple symbol over the scar in a few simple strokes before handing the brush over. "Now you have to do it to me."
Beastboy took the brush and dipped it into the mixture. He studied his hand for a moment before taking her's and carefully copying Raven's motions. After he was done she studied it with a nod and a smile, "Good."
"So, now what?"
"Now, we should begin to feel it almost..." She cut off when she felt emotions that weren't her own fill her mind. Beastboy's back stiffened and she knew that he was feeling the same thing. Raven smiled as she felt his love for her and gave him a kiss. "Now," She whispered to him, "go deeper."
Beastboy closed his eyes and complied, probing at these knew feelings. He felt joy, happiness and love immediately. Underneath that he could sense fear for the town, white hot hatred for her father, and another apprehension that he could not identify the source of. "Deeper, Beastboy." She whispered.
Beastboy concentrated on the apprehension. Attached to this was also a feeling of joy. Deeper into the emotion he sought it's cause. He stiffened and stared into Raven's eyes. "Raven, you're..." The titan alarm rang for the third time that day, cutting off what he was about to say.