Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Saying goodbye... ( Chapter 28 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A Raven's Cry

Chapter 28

"Raven, it's time to get up." Raven felt a gentle hand shake her shoulder, trying to take away the warm fuzz of sleep. She grunted as she rolled onto her side and pulled the second pillow in the bed over her head. "Raven, Fate's going to be here in about an hour."
At this Raven sat up and looked at Beastboy, "That soon? How long have I been out?"
"All day." In demonstration Beastboy pulled open the shades over one window showing the sun setting over the ocean.
"You let me sleep all day?" She started to stand but Beastboy stopped her.
"Breakfast... er... supper in bed." He offered her a tray with a steaming cup of tea and a chef salad complete with boiled egg and ham.
"Beastboy, did you make this for me?"
"Mostly. Cy took care of the ham and eggs."
"Thanks. I'm starved."
"I can imagine." Beastboy sat on the corner of the bed as Raven hungrily ate the salad that she was given and took a sip of her cooling tea. "How's Jynx?"
"She's better. Cyborg said that she was in shock, which was why she wasn't responding to anything. She's not in shock anymore, I guess, but she's still not back to normal."
"I doubt she'll ever be back to normal." Raven stood and stretched aching muscles as Beastboy stood. She wrapped her arms around him, and laid her head on her shoulder. "It's my fault this happened."
Beastboy stroked her hair softly with one hand and pulled her closer with his other hand in the small of her back. "It's not your fault. She made her choices to end up where she is now."
"But Trigon is doing this because of what I did. If I..."
"If you had suppressed your emotions, you and I would both be miserable and alone. We will take Trigon down, I swear we will find a way."
"Thank you." Raven moved to kiss him, but he pulled back."
"Oh, ham breath."
"Ham breath?"
"Sorry."
With a disgusted sigh Raven stalked out of their room and into the bathroom. After a few minutes of industrious scrubbing, Raven came back out and gave him a firm kiss, "Better?"
"Hm, minty fresh."
"I'm glad you approve." She walked to the door and slid it open. "Oh, by the way, I used your toothbrush."
Beastboy's eyes widened, "No! You have defiled my toothbrush with the vile ham products!"

--------------------

Raven walked into the living area and fixed herself a second cup of tea. She sat down on a couch near Jynx who made no response to her presence, only continuing to stare at a blank spot on their carpet. "Hey, Jynx."
Jynx's gaze traveled from a spot on the floor to Raven, "Hi." She returned to staring at the blank spot on the floor.
"Feeling better?"
Jynx's only reply was a noncommittal shrug.
"Want something to eat? Or a drink?"
"Not hungry."
"You sure?"
"Yeah." Jynx looked up suddenly, "Are you okay? You seemed weak when I attacked you."
"It's nothing, just a result of the pregnancy."
"I see."
Cyborg walked into the room and settled into the couch next to Jynx. "Hey, Raven. Sleep well?"
"Like a rock. Did I miss anything?"
"Not much. It looks like most of the Hive skipped town."
"After they saw what he did to me, the rest of them ran." Jynx spoke slowly, her voice void of any emotion. "They didn't want to be his next example."
"Well, it's the smart thing to do." Cyborg said. "Now that Hive's abandoned him, what's big red gonna do?"
"Take over something else, or conjure an army."
"Conjure an army?"
"He'd need some pretty rare books, and maybe some artifacts."
"Any in Jump City?"
"A few. Most of them are in my bedroom."
Beastboy walked in now, followed by Robin. Beastboy, seeing no room left on the couch with Raven, sat on the floor near her feat. Robin settled into a chair, Fare should be here any time now."
"Where’s Starfire?" Raven asked.
Robin smiled a little, "Making her pudding of sadness for Jynx."
Raven grimaced, "That's stuff so nasty it makes you happy, just so you won't have to eat it again."
Any further conversation was cut short when a glowing gold ankh appeared in the middle of their living room. After a brief pause, Fate stepped into the room. Robin stood to great him, offering a hand that was shaken firmly. "It is good to see you again, Robin." Fate turned next to Raven and Beastboy. "Congratulations, both of you, on the marriage and the child."
"Thanks, man." Beastboy answered with a grin.
Raven looked at him, her brow furrowed in thought, "Do I know you?"
"I am surprised that you remember me at all, the last time I saw you, you were three years of age. I was a friend of your mother, and of Jasmine." He turned to Jynx and took a step closer, kneeling. "And you, Jynx, correct?" When Jynx nodded he continued. "Robin has asked that I aid you in recovering from your ordeal. In truth, I am not highly skilled in such things, but my wife is. She is glad to be able to help you."
Starfire ran into the room at this point, clutching a brown stone bowl. "Friend Jynx, I have completed the pudding of sadness."
Jynx looked worriedly at Robin before giving a weak smile, "Thanks Starfire, I don't know what to say." She stood and gingerly took the bowl.
"If you are ready, young one, I have some other matters that need attending."
"I'm ready."
"Oh, Fate!" Cyborg jumped to his feet, "Before you go, could you help me test something?"
"What do you need me to do?"
Cyborg pointed to a duck tape x on the floor. "I just need you to teleport there."
Fate nodded and a glowing ankh appeared in front of him. He stepped into it and immediately stepped out of another ten feet to the left of the x. He stared down at the mark on the floor, before looking at Cyborg, "You've managed to divert my teleportation."
"Yeah. We had a guy break into the tower a little while ago this way. Didn't want it to happen again."
"I see." He turned to Jynx again, "If you will follow me?" Another ankh appeared.
Before she stepped through Jynx turned back to the room, "Thankyou, and goodbye."