Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Walled In ( Chapter 29 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Raven's Cry

Chapter 29

Raven was standing in darkness, surrounded by deep mists. She realized that she was wearing her leotard and cape, though they fit perfectly. She held her hands to her smooth belly, "What's going on."
"Don't fret, my dear, you're dreaming. Well, in a manner of speaking."
Raven turned to the voice, her hands wreathed in dark energy. "Damien."
Damien smiled at her, "Of course, my dear, who else would come visit you as you slept?" He laughed mirthlessly, "Of course I didn't come alone." Four blood red eyes opened over Damien's shoulder. "Your dear father came as well."
"Daughter, it has been too long."
"Really? I don't think so."
"Perhaps not. I have come to inform you that I must leave."
"Oh? That's too bad, we haven't been able to spend any time together, dad." Raven spit out.
"I know, daughter, I too am disappointed, but some matters have come up at home, politics."
"I'm so sorry. Does that mean you're going to stop trying to ruin my life?"
Trigon laughed at this, "No no no, I'm leaving you in Damien's care for the time being. He seems to have worked something out, I'm not sure quite what."
Damien nodded, "We're going to have so much fun, my dear, so much fun."
"And now, daughter, I must leave. Farewell, I shall return as soon as possible." With that the four red eyes faded from sight.
Damien turned to Raven, "I have so much planned for you."
"I'm sure you do."
"I do not like to discard good plans, even if they fail in the first attempt. True, I may not be able to reach your love, or even any of your friends, I still enjoy the thought of your friends having the life sucked from them, and you having to stop them before they do it to others." Another figured stepped out of the mists. He was tall and thin, dressed in a simple white t-shirt and jeans. He grinned flashing a pair of fangs. "This is Julian. He is the first of many vampires that will plague this city. You will watch it crumble."
"We'll evacuate the populace and take you down when the food supply runs out."
"Damien has already taken care of that, no one will be going anywhere."
--------------------

Raven woke in an empty bed. She sat up, looking around the darkened room and saw Beastboy tying up one of his boots. "Did I wake you?" he asked.
"Nope. What's going on?"
Beastboy answered without looking up, "I don't know, something weird on the town limits." He stood and yawned as he ran his fingers through sleep-tussled hair. "I'll tell you about it when I get back."
His communicator beeped before Robin's voice came from it, "Hurry up, Beastboy, your slowing us down."
Beastboy leaned over and gave Raven a quick kiss, "I'll be back in a little while."
Raven watched Beastboy walk out before laying back in her bed and letting her hands rest on her swollen belly. She considered trying to go back to sleep, but knew that it would be beyond her. Instead she pulled herself out of bed and wrapped a robe around herself. She looked over her collection of books and finally selected one that seemed appropriate to the occasion, Bram Stoker's Dracula. She opened to the first page and started reading from the time worn pages.

--------------------

Robin stared up at the glowing wall of swirling energy. "Anything on your scanners, Cy?"
Cyborg looked up from the small display on his arm, "According to my scanners, it doesn't exist."
"Has anyone approached it yet?"
"Yeah, they think he'll be okay. Electrical shock threw the guy fifteen feet."
Beastboy stepped up behind Robin, "What if it's magical? Considering that we're fighting Trigon right now..."
"Why don't we have Raven take a look at it, maybe she'll know what to do."
"Hey, Cy, can you take me to go get Raven?"
Cyborg glanced once more at his scanners, than back at the wall. "As much as I hate to do this, man, I need to stay here and keep workin' on the wall." He pulled his car keys from some hidden compartment. After a brief hesitation he tossed them to Beastboy, "You so much as scratch her, and I will kick your green butt."
Beastboy caught the keys and grinned. "Yes! I finally get to drive!"

--------------------

Beastboy knelt next to Raven's sleeping form. He brushed some of her violet hair back from her eyes and carefully pulled a semi-crushed book from beneath her before he shook her gently. "Raven, hon, we need some help."
Raven mumbled incoherently and rolled away from him, pulling the blankets tighter around herself. Beastboy sighed and leaned over her, blowing softly in her upturned ear. Raven took a week swing at him, but sat up, "What were you saying?" she asked blearily.
"We need you to take a look at something, tell us if you know how to stop it."
Raven pulled herself out of bed, "What's going on?"
"Some big wall just appeared out of nowhere."
"A wall?"
"Yeah, it's weird."
Raven walked to the window in their room and threw open their curtains, allowing her to see the huge wall that surrounded the city. It into the sky further than the eye could see, a black bubble covered in blood red swirls that encapsulated the whole city. Wide eyed, Raven stared at it, "No, not this."
"Do you know what it is?"
"I do, I need to talk to everybody, where are they?"
"Northern end of the city. Looked like the national guard unit's been called out and a bunch of academic types from the university."
"They're not going to be able to do much good." She pulled some clothes out of her dresser, "I'm going to take a quick shower, then we’ll get going."
"Right."

--------------------

Beastboy pulled the t-car to a stop outside of the ring of activity. While they were gone, dozens of strange machines had been set up, all with antennas and dishes aimed at the wall. Beastboy and Raven weaved their way to a command tent, under which the rest of the titans were standing. "Hey, Robin, we're back." said Beastboy. He tossed Cyborg the keys to the t-car.
"Raven, do you know about this?"
Raven nodded, "It's to keep prey from escaping."