Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ More about the wall ( Chapter 30 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Raven's Cry

Chapter 30

The Titans all gaped at Raven, "What do you mean?" Robin asked.
Raven shook her head, "Let me get a better look at it, then I'll tell you everything I find out, alright?"
Robin nodded, "Do what you can, but don't over do it."
Raven started to assume the lotus position off the ground, but was stopped by Beastboy's hand on her arm, "No flight."
"This is hardly flight."
"I know, but still, it's a draw on your power, I don't want you to collapse like that again."
Raven sighed, but settled onto one of several chairs set up around the tent. Her eyes closed and they all saw the form of a dark bird rise out of her body and take flight at the wall before it vanished.

--------------------

It was more than half an hour before Raven's eyes opened again. Beastboy was seated cross-legged on the ground in front of her, and the other titans were nowhere to be seen. When she stood Beastboy looked up and followed suit, "Did you find anything, hon?"
"Some, where are the others?"
"There's been some rioting and stuff. They had to go put a stop to it, then they'll come back here."
Raven nodded and suddenly almost fell, leaning heavily on Beastboy, "Are you alright?" Beastboy asked with concern in his eyes.
"I'm fine, I just need a rest."
Set up in one corner of the tent was a cot that Beastboy guided her to. "I'll go see if I can find you something to eat, okay?"
"Yeah, that would be good." He started to walk out, but Raven caught his arm, "Chinese food, if you can get some, you know what I like."
Beastboy leaned down and kissed Raven softly, "I'll be back in a little while, just try to get some rest."
Beastboy stepped out of the command tent and looked around. He soon found a guardsman who seemed to be in charge, "Excuse me?" he said.
The man turned to him, "Yes sir?"
"I need to go get something, could you have someone keep an eye on my wife? She's in the tent."
"Of course, sir. I had heard rumors, I'm glad to see that they were right."
"Rumors?"
"Yes, sir. Rumors concerning the pregnancy."
"Ah, right."
"I'll assign someone to the entrance, you have nothing to worry about, sir."
"Thank you."

--------------------

Beastboy pushed open the door of the small Chinese food restaurant. He walked in and to the service counter, behind which stood a small Asian man. "Hi, I'm kind of surprised to see you open."
"Oh?"
"Well, with everything going on, I expected more people to, I don't know, panic I guess."
"Is there much panicking?"
"A little, but not much."
"Well, in the city, life goes on. We trust that you and your friends will put things to right before too long."
"I guess." Beastboy studied the menu for a moment, "I'll take an order of sweet and sour chicken, garlic pork ribs, and pork fried rice, and an order of vegetable stir fry."
The man wrote the order down and handed the slip through a window, to another man waiting in back. "I had heard that you do not eat meat."
"I don't, it's for my wife."
"I see. I had heard that she is with child."
"Yup."
"Very good, congratulations."
Soon a bag was passed back through the window, "How much do I owe you?"
"For the protectors of the city? I think you have more than paid for it already."
"Um..." Beastboy had never faced this kind of gratitude, and it made him uncomfortable. "Thanks, I guess."
"Have a good day, and may fortune smile on you."

--------------------

Beastboy saw a soldier standing at attention outside of the tent where Raven slept. He walked up to him, "Thanks, man."
The soldier snapped off a salute, "It was my pleasure, sir." With that he walked off to another part of the compound.
Beastboy walked into the large tent. Raven was lying as he had left her, one hand resting lightly on her belly, the other trailing down to lightly brush the ground. Beastboy smiled as he knelt next to her and lifted her trailing hand to his lips, kissing it softly. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at him and smiled.
"I've got your lunch." he said.
Raven sat up and pulled her legs under her as Beastboy pulled out several styrofoam containers and two sets of cheap wooden chopsticks and handed one to her. They both sat in silence for several minutes, eating their lunches. Finally, Raven closed the last carton and speared her chopsticks through the lid, before dropping them back in the bag. "Hey, Beastboy, are you okay? You seem kind of quiet."
"I was just thinking how much the people of the city depend on us, I just never really thought about it before."
"Did something happen?"
"Something the guy at the Chinese food place said, that's all."
"You shouldn't worry about it too much."

"Oh, yeah, I was thinking of..." The rest of the titans walked in.
"Raven, how'd things go?" Robin asked.
"Fine, you?"
"Okay, just a couple of looters trying to get an early start. What did you learn?" As he spoke, the titans grabbed chairs and formed a rough semi-circle around her.
Raven took a deep breath, "I should start with my dream last night. My father contacted me, he said that there was some trouble going on back home that he had to take care of."
"So, that's good, right?" Beastboy asked.
"Not really, Damien is still here to torment us."
"Did he make this shield?" Cyborg asked.
"Probably. Either him or his creation. He's created a master vampire, he's rather fond of vampires. The wall's there to keep any humans from getting away, but people can still get in at will."
"So what do we do?"
"I recommend a curfew, and patrols. We've never needed to patrol before, but we need to hunt down and destroy any vampire that we find."