Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ A little help... ( Chapter 36 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Raven's Cry

Chapter 36

Gar looked out over the large gathered crowed, "Hey, Rob?"
"Yeah?"
"Why are we doing this again?"
"We are consolidating our resources. It's a good idea, even if Slade came up with it."
"We send a general call to all the vampire hunters in the city, and invite them to come live with us?"
"It gets all of the resources in the city into one, safe location. It makes it easier to plan patrols, and protect each other."
"How many do you think will take us up on this offer?"
"I don't know. It seems like most of these teams are pretty independent. It might be hard to convince them to join us."
Gar's head snapped back down to the crowd and he drew in a lung full of air, "He's here."
"Who?"
"The werewolf that attacked Raven." Gar jumped down off the wall he had been perched on and vanished into the crowd.
"Gar! Get back up here!"
The crowd of battle hardened vampire hunters parted to allow the large green werewolf to pass through. He stopped every few steps and raised his snout, searching for an elusive scent before making his way through the crowd. At the rear of the crowd he saw the large black haired man leaning against his motorcycle. "You're not welcome here."
The man straightened up and stripped off his leather jacket, dropping it on his motorcycle. "I'd think you're the one not welcome. You're a demon's mate."
Gar dropped into a crouch, "Leave now."
The man shifted into his werewolf form, "I don't think it's up to you." The crowd had backed up, they knew that it was a bad idea to get too close to fighting werewolves.
Gar threw himself, claws extended at the larger black furred form. The other werewolf was able to sidestep and seemed to wince when his bike was smashed. "You're gonna pay for that." He turned back to Gar in time to see his bike come down on him, forcing him to the ground. Gar released the support he had lifted it by and stepped back.
The black furred werewolf threw his bike off of himself and stood, his injuries healing almost instantly. "Not good enough." He threw himself toward Gar, but fell to the ground as explosions erupted on his body and all around him.
When the smoke cleared, Robin stood between them, his bo-staff drawn, careful to keep both combatants in sight, "Gar, stand down."
"He tried to kill..."
"I know, but he failed and she's safe now."
Gar shifted back to his human form. "I won't work with him."
"Not a problem. I won't work with someone who would harbor a demon." He straightened up, "You here me people? They harbor a demon!" With that he turned and leaped away from the crowd and into the city.
His parting was greeted with silence. Already a few teams and individuals had left. Finally one person spoke up, "Is what he said true?"
Robin turned to the direction of the voice, "One of my team members is a half demon. You don't like it, leave now." Over the next few minutes, there was a general exodus of the gathered people. Eventually there were only two people left standing in the town square. They walked over to Robin. "You're not leaving?"
"Don't see a reason to. I know what it means to work with someone... unsavory." Said the one who seemed to be the leader.
Robin felt Gar stiffen behind him, "Working with Raven is an honor and a privilege. And you might not want to say that in front of her husband, not when he's this worked up."
"I apologize, I didn't mean any slight. Sometimes I don't quite say what I mean. I know what it takes to work with someone that others would find unsavory. I am willing to work with a half demon. I am Axle, and this," He said gesturing to the man next to him, "is Ghost."
Ghost was dressed in a light blue hoody and jeans. The hood was pulled up hiding his face, and his hands were shoved into the central pocket. When he offered one to Robin, they saw that his skin was almost snow white.
"Ghost is my expert on vampire blood magic and lore. He's also a pretty powerful psychic."
Ghost threw back his hood revealing snow white hair and eyes that were obviously blind. "It is a pleasure to meet you." Robin felt strangely uncomfortable under the blind stare.
"You don't have a problem seeing, do you?"
"My vision is probably the best here, except for..."
"Gar."
"Gar's."
"I have two other team members, Reggie and Fury. They're back at the hotel right now."
"Fury?"
"Yeah, looks like she's the third lychen in town."
"I'm not really a lychen, I'm a shapeshifter."
"I see. Well, Reggie's asleep, and Fury's keepin' an eye on him."
"He's asleep?"
"Yup. It's an honor and a privilege to fight beside him, if you have a problem working with a vampire, tell me now."
"I'm just surprised that a vampire would turn on their own kind."
"Well see, demons have a really bad imagination. Just about anything they come up with already exists. He hates the frauds who give true vamps a bad name."
"So, he's not evil?" Gar asked.
"Nah... well, don't get him going on tofu, he's got something against tofu."
"Tofu?" Gar's voice came out as a squeak.
"Yeah. He doesn't even eat anything, but he's got something against tofu."
"Not tofu."
Robin cut in, "You want to come see your new HQ? We can stop by your hotel on the way to pick up the rest of your team."