Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ House guest... ( Chapter 35 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Raven's Cry

Chapter 35

"Gar, stand down." Gar stared into Robin's mask for another moment, before returning to his seat. Robin turned back to Slade, "What makes you think that I'll allow you into the tower?"
"You need my help, and it would be more efficient than working separately."
"You lost your lair, didn't you." Gar's voice was cold.
Slade's single eye widened, "What makes you think that?"
"Call it a hunch."
Slade seemed to consider this for a moment, until he suddenly slumped. "They destroyed everything. They came out of nowhere and wiped out my entire base in twenty minutes. That sladebot that your" he seemed to sneer through his mask, "fearless leader destroyed, was my last."
Robin stared at Slade, "Everything?"
"Do you see now why you need my aid? You need my aid and the aid of anyone willing to fight."
Robin turned to Gar, "Go back to the tower, get Raven packed. If she has a problem with it, tell her it's my orders."

--------------------

Raven looked up from her book when Gar walked in. He walked over to stand next to her, "Come on."
"What's wrong?"
"You've got to leave."
"Excuse me? Do you mean go to Azerath?"
"Yes, I want you to go to Azerath."
Gar stalked out of the room, heading for their own room. "What happened?" Raven called after him as she followed.
"We're having a house guest."
"What?" Gar had reached their room before her, and was already in. Raven took a deep breath before she walked in. Gar already had a bag on the bed and was stuffing handfuls of clothes into it with a violent thrust. "Whatever happened, you don't have to take it out on my wardrobe."
Gar dropped his handful and took a deep breath, "I'm sorry."
"What happened?"
"Slade wants to strike a deal."
"A deal?"
"His base was wiped out and now he came beggin' us for a place to stay."
"And Robin's letting him stay?"
"Slade's right. As much as I hate it, if we don't get some help, we're gonna get toasted."
"We can find somebody else."
"Who?"
Raven sighed. "Fine, but let me pack." Raven took the crumpled shirt from him and folded it. "You're just getting everything wrinkled." She dumped her half packed bag on the bed and started to sort through it. "You never were good at things like that." Before long she had her bag packed and closed. "Am I getting a chance to say goodbye?"
"They wanted you gone by the time Slade got here."
"Alright."
One of many jars that littered her shelves glowed black and started to fly to her. Gar grabbed it out of the air, "No powers."
Raven rolled her eyes, but grabbed the jar from him and poured out a symbol by hand. "I'll try to send some help, okay? I'll see if dad can spare some blood hounds."
"Alright." Gar pulled Raven into a tight embrace, "If you need anything send a message, okay?"
"I will, and you do the same."
"Alright." Gar held her tightly for a few more minutes before he gave her a long kiss, "I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too." Raven stepped into the middle of the symbol, her bag in one hand. She gave him one last smile before she vanished in a flash of white light.

--------------------

Gar stood in the entryway, his arms folded across his chest, as Slade walked in, followed by the remaining three titans. "Cozy place."
"Don't get used to it." Cyborg typed some commands into a keypad near an elevator entrance, "Your restricted to the fourth floor."
"Fourth floor?"
"Usually storage. It's empty right now."
Slade shook his head slowly, "You’ve got to learn to trust me, Robin."
"Get in the elevator, it'll only take you to the entrance, or fourth floor. We'll send food up at meal times."
"As you wish."
Slade walked into the elevator, that Gar could see had several large boxes. When the doors closed behind him, Robin spoke, "Well?"
"She's gone. She said she was going to see if she could send some help."
"I'll leave the teleport blocker off, otherwise he'd end up in the bay." Cyborg walked off through the tower to deactivate the blocker.
"Was she okay?"
"Yeah, she didn't have too much of a problem."
"Good." Robin stretched and yawned, "I'm hittin’ the hay."
"Yes, friends, I must do the hitting of hay as well." Starfire walked out of the room, heading for her own.
"Hey, Rob."
"Yeah?"
"Is she okay? She's been quiet since you got back from patrol."
"I think she'll be okay, she's just kind of in shock."
"Yeah."
"You should think about going to bed too, I don't think you slept at all last night."
"Nope."

--------------------

The large black man sat heavily against the support of the large overpass. His first contact with his prey had gone badly, leaving him badly wounded. He held his hand against the still open wound and could feel the edges slowly knitting together. His inhuman healing abilities would allow him to be ready for another attempt with a few days.