Fan Fiction ❯ A War of Three Nations ❯ Chapter Eight: Battle on Two Fronts ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: ……. No comment….
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A War of Three Nations
 
Chapter Eight: Battle on Two Fronts
 
"General Allarayne," the voice was cool and emotionless, flowing from the child like figure walking quietly towards the demon general. Pausing to smooth down her gown, Lilith looked at the general again.

"My father sends you this," she held out the darkness heart stone, pulsating with black energy, "as well as me to help, possessing these," she tugged gently at the golden chain around her neck, revealing the heart stones of stone and fire. A wolf of fire and a bear of stone appeared behind her.

Lilith switched her scythe to her left hand, her cheeks flushing and her eyes becoming dreamy as she pressed a hand to her breast. "Father told me I would meet brother soon; I cannot wait."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
The demoness grinned devilishly. "That elven wimp? In love?" She chortled evilly, and shook her head, her black tresses framing her face.
 
"Thank you, Vik. That will be all for now." She removed Amallaetheus from its jeweled scabbard, and summoned Vikirnoff Von Shrieder, feared ruby dragon of the Malonians, back into its strong and sturdy blade. As soon as she retreated within the strongholds of Andreas' castle, she heard footsteps, and the voice that called out to her could have been none other than the second most-important person in the castle.
 
"General Allarayne." Her cold voice and elegant demeanor never ceased to amaze Allarayne- and she was at a very young age. Most of the demonesses nowadays had to fully mature before they ever achieved such grace and flawlessness in their speaking abilities and presentation. Allarayne got down to one knee, and crossed her fists- a symbol of respect from a demon of a lower class to a higher class. While Lilith was nowhere close to Allarayne in strength, wisdom, experience, and age, her ranking was the highest of the high beneath the king.
 
Not even Allarayne's strength could compare to the strength Lilith's name withheld, for she was Lilith Bacia Shysie, the only (known of) daughter of Andreas, the demon-king. She rose then, and listened to what the other demoness had to say.

"My father sends you this," said Lilith as she held out what Allarayne recognized quickly as the Darkness Heart stone, "as well as me to help, possessing these." She then tugged at the beautifully-crafted chain that swung around her neck; the jewels that hung on them revealed themselves to be the Stones of Stone and Fire respectively; Allarayne watched as a fire-wolf and a stone-bear appeared behind Lilith as the younger demoness continued, "Father told me I would meet brother soon; I cannot wait."

Allarayne nodded numbly as she fingered the dark gem in her grasp; she knew of the effects of the stone to the wielder. The most common effect was that it would bind it with a certain animal; or if the wielder had already bonded with a certain animal, it would merely strengthen and often reinforce and emphasize the meaning of the bond. A small grin crept its way onto Allarayne's lips; this meant that her control over Vikirnoff would grow stronger, and make it harder for him to obey any of the other generals.
 
She, technically, was the only one bonded to him. The others were mere personas of his previous masters. Besides the strengthened emphasis on the bond, there would also be a possible change in both weapon and armor; as well as the Stone's own spirit to guide its wielder. She gave a nod of acceptance and respect to Lilith as she said, "Lady Lilith, I shall excuse myself; I will personally go thank your father for his most gracious gift." She bowed, and left the young demoness to herself.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rising from her kneeling position in front of the altar of Shafira, Cathayna rose with such grace that several of the low-class she-demons rose their eyes from honoring Shafira and gazed at her demurely rise and pay her respects to their sealed goddess. She tilted her chin up and gazed at the lower-class demon, "Do not stare." They quickly turned their eyes away from the noble, and returned to prayer and worship. The other she-demons who worshipped with those who were distracted by Cathayna's ever-ladylike rise slapped those who got distracted promptly in the head. Cathayna snorted. "Be glad I am not able to cast punishment within this Shrine, or I would have had your heads cut off for disrespecting Lady Shafira."

"We are sorry, madam," one of the more attentive worshippers apologized.

"Make it a habit, or even repeat it once more," threatened Cathayna, "and you will be sorry."

"Yes, madam," they whispered almost incoherently.

Cathayna, referred to as Shrirava by the demon-king, walked with a commanding air back to the castle. As she walked in, she caught a glimpse of ruby, glittering eyes and flowing black hair, and she instantly recognized who the woman was. The female Malonian general, Allarayne. Cathayna's sister.
 
For so long, she had wanted to go to Allarayne, to tell her that she still did have some family left, that not all of them were killed by her monster of a teacher, Alequintaine; that she, Cathayna was still alive, but in turn for getting Andreas' help to kill Alequintaine, she had been forced to sign a blood contract that she would never mention any of her blood relationships with Allarayne, nor would she mention the death of their family, or their family at all, around the woman general. A beheading would be in store for her, should she even try to mention any of the touchy subjects to Allarayne.

Cathayna, a strong demon in her own right, emitted energy as she brushed shoulders with Allarayne. "General Allarayne," she managed smoothly.

"Lady Shrirava," replied Allarayne as she turned around from her attempted destination to stare at the shorter demon. "Did you need something of me?"

"I merely wanted to inform you of three she-demons that managed to distract themselves from worshipping our dearly-beloved goddess to stare at me rising," 'Shrirava' recounted the events to the general. "Besides. What would a lower-class demoness such as I want of our strongest demoness? I would want nothing more than to wax your armor, or perhaps polish your sword."

And Cathayna was telling the truth; it was agonizing pain not to be able to speak of her relationship with Allarayne with the general, and it was even more agonizing that the only time the two of them would meet would be meetings in the throne room, coincidental meetings, or perhaps accidental ones, in corridors and such, or when Allarayne would summon her for this, or summon her for that.
 
Not once was Cathayna allowed to touch Allarayne, or be within her range, or even touch something as simple as her sword, or her scabbard. And as she gazed at the proud jewel that blended in with the general's dark armor, she gazed at it with longing envy, "And I see our king has given you a new plaything."

"It is not a plaything, Shrirava," snapped Allarayne, "and even if I were to allow you to even touch a small centimeter of its surface, even that would be too much of a responsibility for you to handle."

"Are you calling me irresponsible?"

Before Cathayna received her answer, Allarayne harrumphed, and walked to the direction of Andreas' throne room, leaving a frustrated Cathayna behind. However, before either one of them was too far from earshot, Allarayne called back, "Perhaps I am, Shrirava."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
"Ah, Allarayne, so glad to see you got my gift," Andreas smirked from his throne, fangs poking over his thin lips. "And Lilith, I am pleased to see that you have bonded with your own stones. Well done, girl."

"I thank thee, father, for these most powerful treasures," Lilith murmured in reply, bowing elegantly despite the weight of her scythe on her shoulder.

"You two may now venture beyond the gates using the means that I've showed you, and seek out heart stones. I suggest you get the wood heart stone first, as it is easily obtained and the water stone is within our enemies grasp as it stands." Lilith looked to her father, an almost unnoticeable frown settling upon her pale lips.

"Father, what of..."

"You shall fine your brother, child, worry not. After you find the wood heart stone, you are free to seek him. Just remember; he is only half demon and may not welcome you warmly, but bring him to our side and he will be yours," Andreas paused, noting the excited look on the girls face with a smirk, "but I have bad news girl; from the looks of it, he may be falling in love with an elf."

Lilith's face turned blank, but her cold eyes were alive with fires of hell. "I shall skineth any women who dare try to take mine brother away from me," she hissed quietly, grasp tightening around the staff of her scythe.

"Very well, be gone and do what you have been told." He waited till they were at the door, and once Lilith was gone from sight; he called out "Oh, and Allarayne? Take Shrirava with you."
 
Allarayne was taken aback by her king's last comment. "Take Shrirava with me?" The look on her face was incredulous, but the look on Andreas' face told her to no longer argue; he was the king, and therefore he should be followed. She understood 'that look' more than anyone else; she received it, more than anyone else. She bowed down and crossed her fists, the same respects she showed to Lilith, and exited the throne room calmly, the Darkness Heart stone swinging on its bronze chain.

When the demoness general found Shrirava in her quarters, the other demoness was polishing her two swords. She entered and stood by the doorway. Shrirava looked up and asked, "You needed something, General Allarayne?"

Allarayne gave her a cold stare as she put down her two swords. "No, our king does. You are to come with me and Lilith to the Lake of Carnanthea. It really is only a few hours' ride from here, should we get a start now. Of course," she added as she sneered at Shrirava's court dress, "you will have to change into something more suited to the occasion."

"But the gates--"

"You do not trust our king's authority?" Allarayne was challenging the younger demoness to a battle of words now. The loyalty and trust of her king was important to Allarayne, and if she couldn't convince Shrirava to come with her, then she felt as if she betrayed that trust.

Shrirava instantly shrunk beneath Allarayne's gaze. She spoke, "I have not questioned his authority before, and I will not start now." She stood closer to Allarayne, and squeezed her out the tight door. "If you do not mind, General, I must change."

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Zephyr's long, pale arms stretched beneath his heavy armor. He took off his helmet, and shook his head, his long, blond ponytail almost whipping Aceline's face. He grinned sheepishly, "Forgive me."

Aceline shook her head and closed her eyes, her own hair riding the counter flowing breeze. "I can't stand this heat, though."

"Mmhm." Zephyr then busied himself as he rode Svinsahdra on, encouraging her to go on faster. Exosivian was not far below, or behind. "Exosivian!" called the elven general. "Which side of Carnanthea do we meet Preia and the others?"

The western side, my lord, replied the dragon comfortably as she rode on.

"Fly on," commanded Zephyr, "and faster. We shouldn't keep Rye, Preia, or Night Runner waiting for too long."

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cathayna exited her room with her two swords, Elvenslayer and Earthenshaker sheathed in an 'x' on her back. She wore her traditional hunting clothes, pants made of dark cloth and boots made of dragon hide. Her shirt was of an earthy color, and blended easily with the Malonian geography. She was happy to be going with Allarayne, but she was not going as Cathayna Iradeus; she was going beneath her alias, the name 'Shrirava' and the title of 'Lady' Andreas granted her.

She faced Allarayne and asked, "Which horses shall we take?"

Allarayne snorted. "Isn't it obvious? We'll take our fastest ones."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
No,Lord Rye, it is not a long ride. But hold tight; I shant slow down or stop until we are there. Turning towards Exosivian, I thank milady for helping the others along;I will meet you at the lake's western edge. Turning and facing towards the direction of the lake, Night Runner glanced one last time to make sure Rye and Preia were secure before taking off, galloping full speed through the remaining trees and obstacles of the Avalon Forest.

They were at the edge of the lake within ten minutes, the black stallion coming to a stop just beyond the clear blue water surrounding the diamond shrine of Etaine.

Preia's eyelids scrunched together slightly, the jostling of the ride having jarred her inner senses. Opening blurry sea-green orbs, she blinked to clear her vision and looked up. Face turning red when she realized that she was being held gently to Rye's chest while sitting on Night Runner's back, she sat up quickly and yelped, clinging to her horses mane to keep herself from falling off.

Night Runner neighed in displeasure. Please do not pull so hard, young mistress.

Releasing the horse's mane and turning, Preia looked up at Rye shyly. "What happened? Where are we?
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Rye smiled at the clear blue lake; it was such a beautiful area. When he felt Preia waking up he loosened his grip on her. She yelped and pulled away from him before turning around and saying, "What happened? Where are we?"

"I'm sorry, it's just you collapsed and we really needed to get here, the Lake of Carnanthea. The others will be here soon, we went on ahead."
 
Preia flushed, feeling bad for yanking away so quickly. "I-it's fine," she murmured, urging the red to leave her cheeks, "I was just surprised... I don't mind..."

Noticing her uneasiness, Rye dismounted Night Runner and held out his hand to Preia. "Come, I will help you down.
 
Preia blinked at the hand offered her before taking it hesitantly, allowing Rye to steady her as she swung a leg over the horses back and slid down. Unfortunately miscalculating the distance she was from the ground, Preia found herself with her face buried in Rye's chest and her hands gripping tightly to his arms.

Turning red, Preia muttered a small "sorry," but didn't move, too embarrassed to look at him and wondering why she felt so safe being this close to him.

Night Runner trotted a bit off before snickering mentally, only to receive a whap on the nose by a ghost like hand.

"That's not nice Night Runner, leave them be." The stallion snorted, grudgingly obeying his mistress's past life.

Yes, Lady Fayria.

The elven ghost sighed and looked back around the tree at her reincarnation and Rye, eyes glistening with tears long past. The woman could pass for Preia's twin, except for her white priestess garments and clear blue eyes. She had been Preia's age in the last war; her age when she had died.

"I only hope that she will not suffer the same fate as I, nor that Rye sees the same end as Zealous" she murmured softly.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
"Whoa, careful," Rye said as he eased Preia to the ground with his arms around her waist.

"Sorry," the elven girl replied, her face buried in his chest.

"It all seems a little too familiar, doesn't it, Fayria?" said the ghost of Zealous as he stepped from behind a tree, a few feet behind Rye. As Fayria looked like Preia, Zealous too looked like his reincarnation but with his long, brown hair tied back in a ponytail. He was dressed in full gold and black armor without the helmet, as he looked during his last days. With a sad smile on his face he approached Fayria and Night Runner.

"I decided to awaken Midknight from his slumber. Rye should be pleased."

A black panther approached from the same tree where Zealous had been, his glossy coat shining in the sunlight.

"Lady Fayria, Night Runner, please excuse my absence. It seems I have been asleep for far too long. I shall introduce myself to the boy."

Zealous looked at Fayria again, with the same sad smile on his face. "If only the stones could have died with us." He reached his hand out to touch hers and lowered his eyes when it went straight through. No one should have to go through what we did," he said quietly.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Ishikawa finally caught up with the rest of the group and walked right up to Preia and Rye.
 
"We have a bit of a problem. The Malonian army is sending General Allarayne and King Andreas' daughter Lilith through the gates of Malo to search for the rest of the stones. We need to hurry." Preia pulled away from Rye at the sound of Ishikawa's voice, turning so that he couldn't see her face and blushing so hard she thought all her blood had rushed to her cheeks.

"So she finally woke up. Good, I was beginning to think my brother may have killed you." Preia huffed at the comment but kept her back to the demon and Rye, waiting for her face to return to normal.

"We'll just have to be extra careful then." Finally trusting herself to be normal, she looked back at the two males, "Zephyr and Aceline will be here soon; we should be able to take care of ourselves till they get here. For now, we should probably worry about where the queen of the Naga is, as she possesses the water heart stone."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"It all seems a little too familiar, doesn't it, Fayria?" Turning to her lover's ghost, Fayria once more felt long dried tears forming in her ghostly eyes.

Took you long enough, Midknight, Night Runner huffed, folding his legs under him comfortably and looking at the panther, leaving me to protect your master for you; get over there and introduce yourself already.

"If only the stones could have died with us." Biting her translucent lip when Zealous' hand went through her own, Fayria stayed quiet as he continued, "No one should have to go through what we did."

Attempting a smile, Fayria lifted a hand and placed it just above Zealous' cheek, the touch lost but the gesture still meaning the same, "Zealous, it's their destiny to wield the heart stones, just as it was ours to die because of them. It wasn't fair then, and it isn't fair now, but when has life ever been fair, love?" only pausing briefly to glance back at her reincarnation, Fayria turned back to Zealous with a determined light in her crystal eyes, "But I'm not leaving her do this by herself; I'm helping her, and I won't let her suffer the same fate I did."
 
Zephyr glared at Ishikawa as soon as Svinsahdra and Exosivian landed. "Demon, how do you know this?" He kept Svinsahdra at bay, and stepped off from his dragon's long neck. Taking his helmet and holding it beneath his arm, he walked up to Preia and Rye. Noticing their situation, he grinned and hugged Preia tightly. He said sheepishly, "I should have told you to wait up instead of go ahead. You don't know how worried I was. Now, what's this about the Water Stone being with the Queen of the Naga?"

Sweat dripped down his forehead, and he groaned. Waving his hand as his armor disappeared, a breeze cooled him down. "I can't stand forest heat. Alright, back on track. Shall we need a negotiator, Preia?" On this statement, he stared at Aceline; the woman general blushed. `I can't believe she let me allow her stay and fight Vikirnoff. I mean, if she can convince me of all people, how can she not convince the Naga Queen?'

Svinsahdra snorted beside him. It isn't that you're thathard to convince, Zephyr, she playfully jabbed.

Just then, another female's voice rang out, "How is it you fools can stand to joke around when the threat is right in front of your eyes?"

Zephyr growled. Allarayne Iradeus had caught them off-guard. Beside the woman-general followed two females, and each one was very strong, each in their own right. To the left rode one with a pure black stallion, fur streaked with crimson red; and to the right rode one with a fully-grown black stallion that appeared to be able to challenge Night Runner in speed. Zephyr and Aceline rode their horses - the two generals were amazed that they managed to have followed the dragons' breakneck speed - and rode in front of the rest of their party. Zephyr had met the female general several times, yet for Aceline, this was her first time. The elven general stated coolly, "I told your dragon to never threaten any of my party. I see he did not tell you, Allarayne."

"Why would I have to heed your warning, elf?" On her neck, Zephyr noticed a stone as dark as deepest dusk, and he noticeably paled. Aceline rode closer to him, and took note of the same stone. She, too, paled.

"Exosivian, stay behind and guard Preia and the others," she ordered.

Zephyr continued, "She is a force to be reckoned with, and so are her companions. You have not been trained enough, Preia. Listen to me just this once." He turned his back to the other three women, and rode back to Preia. Before he could reach her, however, a sword pierced his arm and weakened him severely.

"You do not turn your back to General Allarayne or Lady Lilith, elf. Feel the wrath of my Elvenslayer."
 
Witnessing the newer woman who bode an evil presence lunge for General Zephyr with her sword, it surprised Saleh a little bit that General Zephyr had been so easily caught off guard. "General Zephyr!!!" Saleh exclaimed out of worry. A little anger flustered in and out through his veins, causing him to quickly rise to his feet on the back of Exosivian.

In a burst of wind from the surface of the dragon's back, Saleh leapt from it and drew his sword in a blindingly fast motion, swinging it down over his head and towards the woman's extended arm, intending to hack it off in one massive, quick slash.
 
Cathayna's two elements of Earth and Stone reacted quickly to the oncoming onslaughts directed to their mistress as Cathayna busied herself with removing the Elvenslayer blade from the general's arm. The earth beneath her rose up and crushed the three arrows as stone appeared in front of her just before the other warrior was about to pierce her arm. Allarayne, beside her, had to admit that the other demoness had a way with her elements.
 
Leaving her place at Lady Lilith's side, she rode her horse to the other female general, Aceline Aaralyn of Gaia, and produced her ever-faithful Amallaetheus. As she neared the female general, she willed her Darkness Heart stone to activate. Her Malonian armor disappeared as it was replaced with an obsidian full-body armor, complete with the cape, and her sword was shrouded in shadows. She grinned as Aceline fumbled quickly to produce her bow and arrow; seeing that the other general was charging way too fast, Aceline growled and raised her hand. Yellow energy surrounded her, and lightning struck the ground, forming a sort of barrier around her.

Aceline told Allarayne, "Do not judge a warrior by her appearance, General. I have far more strength than you judge me to have."

Allarayne sneered at her, her sword waving in the air as darkness enshrouded it. "And you think you can beat me in a battle of swords? I have had more training in swordsmanship than you ever will."

Aceline growled as her wood element formed a sword in her hand. "And you are challenging my father's ability to have trained me in swordsmanship?"

"I would give a damn about your father, why?"

Even if Aceline was the most regal of ladies in Gaia, she was a mistress of anger when provoked. She spurred her horse on, and charged at Allarayne. "You will never insult my father!"

Allarayne grinned, "This is the Aceline Aaralyn I wish to battle, fueled by anger and rage!" Allarayne spurred her own horse forward, Amallaetheus extended strongly in front of her...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Aceline!" Zephyr's eyes lit up brightly with worry. Svinsahdra erupted in wind beside him as she followed Exosivian who came to her mistress' rescue. He stood up to grip Alexavier with his right hand, but the wound that the other demoness inflicted on him was still bleeding. `Damn it...'

"I'm sorry, Zephyr," said the demoness, "but your fight is with me; Shrirava. Not with Lady Allarayne."

"I will fight with whom I wish to fight," Zephyr told Shrirava. "Nobody will stand in the way Alexavier, and my faith, guide me."

"Alexavier and your faith," said Shrirava, "or is it your blind eyes that wish to protect that woman general you lust for?"

"Lust is not a word to be thrown out again and again, nor should it be used in every conversation involving a friend's concern for a friend. I will not be, in any circumstance, brought down by a challenge of words, or of strength. As long as Svinsahdra, Eoru, and Alexavier are with me, they are all I need."

You will not be doing anything, Lord Zephyr. Eoru, Svinsahdra, and I will take care of this. Alexavier's Sword spirit rose from the long, wide blade, and floated above the sword as it held on tight to the hilt. You shall lose too much blood, should you move anymore. You there, Preia! the Sword spirit called to the general's acclaimed niece.Take care of Zephyr. To Shrirava, he said, Be prepared to be ripped into shreds.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Add one obsessive sister into the mix, another demon, and a cliffhanger and what do you get?
 
….No, really, what do you get?
 
Amariahellcat
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
I am adoring this part of the RPG. Anyway, beta'd by me.
 
On with whatever I was going to say,
 
Snowy