Fan Fiction ❯ A War of Three Nations ❯ Chapter Nine: The Power Behind Emotions ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Do you WANT me to hurt you? (Oh, come on—you'll drive them away!)
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A War of Three Nations
 
Chapter Nine: The Power Behind Emotions
 
Saleh brought his sword down to his side as he watched the protective wall of earth rise up around the woman who had attacked Zephyr. Focusing his wind element to his feet, he landed atop the wall shielding the woman, then burst off of it, landing about fifty yards away. Ducking and rolling into a land, the impact of the fall wasn't as bad seeing as how he had landed on the soft shore alongside the lake.

Turning to look back at everyone briefly, Saleh turned his attention back to the lake in front of him. Altogether, the drop to the water from the ledge he was standing atop was only about twenty to thirty feet. `I have to find the Naga Queen Fayria spoke of earlier, I'm sure she'll help us...' Saleh thought to himself.

Re-sheathing his sword, Saleh unhooked his remaining thigh armor and dropped it to the ground. Starting a few steps back, he ran forwards and leapt off the ledge overhanging the lake's crystalline surface. Folding his arms into a diving motion, he plummeted down towards the water. Taking in one final breathe so that he would be able to hold it a long time, Saleh splashed into the lake almost soundlessly.

The force from the fall alone plummeted him to the immediate bottom of the lake. Seeing the onrushing lake floor coming up fast, he quickly turned his body and pressed off the lake's bottom with his feet. `I remember hearing about the underwater cave the Naga Queen dwells in, but I'm not sure where it's exactly at...' Saleh thought, squinting a little to look across to the other side of the lake, which was surprisingly easy because of the water's clarity.

His search however didn't last long. From a nearby hole in the side of the lake's mountainous walls, a single Naga came swimming out just slightly, as if trying to get Saleh's attention. Taking quick notice of this, Saleh pulled his sword out for a precaution and swam off after the Naga. As soon as the Naga had picked up on this however, it swam even deeper into the cave.

Saleh, close in tail to the Naga, followed it closer and closer to a shiny surface that reamed with light deeper into the underwater cave. As the Naga disappeared above its surface, Saleh came up to the surface quickly as well. As he did, a whole group of Naga had already surrounded him. The formation in front of Saleh parted, and a Naga, much more distinct and individual than the others approached the water's surface. This Naga, in particular, wore a crystal blue gem intertwined with a leather string around her neck.

"What do you want here trespasser?" she asked angrily. "You know, I could've had you killed already, but your persistence to willingly come here has peeked me interest, so answer me now or die."

"I'm assuming you're the Naga Queen from your different appearance from the others," Saleh stated, "The Lady Fayria mentioned something about you being able to help us in protecting the stones' from Malo forces. As of right now, Malo's forces are assaulting the ones' who bear the stones' right now on the shores of your wondrous lake..."

"Hmmm, this has happened so soon, and without my knowledge," the Naga Queen said, placing her hands on the necklace and reaching behind her neck. "This stone here, it is the Stone of Water. Use it well and for good, and good fortune shall befall you. Use it for... other purposes, and I'll kill you." Tossing the necklace to Saleh, she spoke as he caught it. "The water you're standing on will take you back up to the surface of the lake along the shore; I trust you'll put this memento to good use. Its power will be activated out of your own will to protect another, so you should be finding that out soon..."

Without realizing it until the Naga Queen had said anything, Saleh had already been lifted out of the water and was floating up into the skylight above them. Saying thanks before vanishing up and out of view, Saleh covered his eyes slightly as the brightness of the sun burned his eyes a little. Tightening the necklace around his neck with his hands, he drew his sword out afterwards. Smirking, Saleh gathered the wind at his feet and leapt again with an explosion of air, sending him through the air and back towards the others.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Ishikawa saw Allarayne and froze. 'She's here already. I can't believe it. And she has the darkness stone.' Ishikawa thought to himself before whispering to himself, "Master? If you can hear me, we need you now."

Ishikawa suddenly felt something heavy drop down on his shoulder and then something lighter pat his other shoulder. He drew Luciendar, but when he reached for Morthoseth it was gone.

Ishikawa turned around and gasped slightly. "Ka-Rosu? Nakamura?"

"That's right," Ka-Rosu replied with a grin. "Master Touchi told us that you finally found out about our little secret. So why the hell are you afraid to fight?"

Without further conversation, Nakamura tore his robe from his body revealing two large black wings on his back and his chest cover with tattoos of sacred seals.

"Allarayne!!!" Nakamura yelled, running forward and jumping into the air. He grabbed the tips of his wings and glided across the battlefield, making a bee-line straight for general Allarayne.

"I'll go after that one with the rock power. Let's see how she fair against one of my type," Ka-Rosu said, before sinking into the ground and appearing behind Cathayna. "You wanna dance?"
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
You there, Preia! Starting at the call, Preia turned wide eyes towards Zephyr's stone spirit, Take care of Zephyr.

Turning her gaze to her wounded uncle, Preia ran from Rye's side and fell to her knees beside the old elf, digging through her belts pouches to try and find something to still the bleeding.

"Uncle Zephyr," she spoke quietly to get his attention, her shaking hands deftly tying a long strip of white material she had found in her pouch around his wound, "don't you dare move; it'll just reopen the wound and then where will you be? I know you think that I'm too young, but I need to help!" Standing again, Preia's eyes were drawn to Lilith, sitting imobily pristine on her black stallion. The horse looked like Night Runner's evil twin.

Lilith's cold eyes surveyed the action in front of her, seeking only one thing. Despite her fathers orders for them to seek out the wood stone first, the general had disobeyed and she was glad of it. Her eyes stopping on Rye, Lilith's cheeks flushed and a sudden dreamy look once more appeared on her face.

"Brother!" she cried joyously, leaping from her spot on her horses back and landing by Rye, throwing her arms around him in a tender embrace. Preia stared at the demoness hugging her friend in shock.

"Oh brother! Thou hast no idea how happy finding thou hast madest me," Lilith cooed, rubbing her face against Rye's chest.

"Hey!" Lilith's eye's snapped to Preia, the taller elf returning her gaze, "What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

"I am hugging mine brother, elven woman. Does't thou have a problem with that?" Preia growled quietly, biting her lip slightly.

"That's not possible; you're a demon, Rye's a neko-jin!" Lilith smirked, never once loosening her tight grip around Rye's chest.

"Thoust are a dunce, to not notice that he is half a demon." Preia stared, her gaze flicking to Rye's face and back to Lilith's. Was that why his eyes...?

Shaking her head, Preia glared at Lilith again. "You're lying! Rye would've told us!" Wavering slightly, she looked at Rye, "Rye?"
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Midknight gave Night Runner a smug smile. I thank you old friend for taking care of my business while I was asleep. Now if you'll excuse me, Midknight said as he stepped towards Rye, only to stop in his tracks due to the arrival of the Malonian General and her companions. He decided to see how things turned out before making his move.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rye still had his arms around Preia protectively when Zephyr was stabbed. She pulled away from him roughly to be by her uncle's side.

"Preia!" he called after her as he tried to grab her hand as she ran from him. He noticed that the demons had heart stones and gasped. He drew his demon blade swiftly and tried to decide which one to take on, only to find they were already involved in one-on-one battles with the members of his team.

Rye turned to see Saleh land gracefully on the ground a few meters away. The knight seemed to have recovered from his serious wounds and had some kind of renewed strength. That was when Rye noticed the stone hanging from his neck.

Opening his mouth to say something to Saleh, Rye's words didn't get the chance to leave his mouth when the youngest demon girl ran towards him and flung her arms around him.

"Oh brother! Thou hast no idea how happy finding thou hast madest me," she said as she rubbed her face against his chest.

Rye was stupefied, as the girl claiming to be his sister argued with Preia.

"Thoust are a dunce, to not notice that he is half a demon."

"You're lying! Rye would've told us! Rye?" asked Preia.

Rye looked down at the girl staring back up at him with a dreamy smile on her face. Thinking that it was impossible they were related, he noticed her deep, red eyes. They shared the same blood-like eyes.

Rye looked at Preia, not sure of what to say. “How...?"

`How is it the demon who savagely raped my mother spoke about me like a son to this girl?'

"How....?"
`How is it she knew where to fine me?'

"How...?"
`How is it both her and her father even care about me?'

"How...how dare you touch me that way, demon!" Rye yelled as he grabbed the girl's arms from around him and shoved her away. "Why have you come for me? I don't want to have anything to do with you, the man who raped my mother or any of your kind. Don't you dare call me your brother, I am disgusted to share the same blood as you! It caused me...my family....so much pain..."

Rye thought about how his family had to live because of his existence. He suddenly felt like he was going to throw up and threw his hand up to his mouth as he turned away. He slowly turned his head back towards Preia and the members of their team who would've heard the conversation, his sad eyes darting between Preia, his comrades and his demon half sister. He looked at Saleh, the man who had already known from the start.
 
"I think you should go tend to your master," taunted Cathayna, facing the Zephyr's spirits, as she glared dangerously at Zephyr and another elven girl. Suddenly, however, Cathayna spun around from Zephyr's Sword and Heart stone spirit as soon as she felt another energy rise from behind. "How dare you use such a pathetic, cowardly tactic against me," snarled Cathayna, "striking from behind."

She pulled Earthenshaker from one of the X-shaped scabbards on her back, and turned to face the other demon. "And, no, thank you. I don't prefer to dance."

She used her energy, let it flare outwards, and let it catch the wind and lift her up into the air. Getting into her stance with her defensive Earthenshaker, she challenged the demon on the ground. "Let's go..."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lady Allarayne, take care of the kitten later, warned her Stone spirit. Another demon approaches you.

The general rose up a shield as soon as her Stone spirit warned her. She turned to Aceline and said, "Sorry, kitty cat. We'll do this some other time."

She reined her horse in and charged the other way, facing the onslaught of the oncoming demon with wings. Her sword was outstretched in front of her in the general manner, and leapt off her charging horse as she spun a dark tornado with her sword. She flew up into the Avalon sunlight, despising every single ray of it as she growled, and then sent several blasts of energy. Then, as soon as she saw Lilith being thrown off another man she guessed to be her unbelieving brother, she dispatched her Sword spirit. `Help our lady, Verzyan.'

Gladly, replied the spirit named Verzyan, and dispersed from the sword, a little of the dark aura disappearing, and the cold image of dark eyes descended upon Zephyr, the elven woman, and everyone else. Verzyan moved swiftly and silently, unseen by untrained eyes like that young elf's, and appeared between his Lady and the one who pushed her off of him. Milady, are you unhurt?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

At an instant, Zephyr began growling as he learned of Rye's actual heritage. `I should have seen it in his eyes. Neko-jin do not have red eyes.'

Svinsahdra was quickly at her master's side, unfazed by the discovery. We all make miscalculations, Zephyr, and you are no other. You should have been prepared to at least have made one mistake.

`I entrusted Preia with a Neko-jin who I assumed she would be safe with, and then entrusted her with a half-breed. That was not only one mistake, Svinsahdra. They were two; two fatal mistakes that could have possibly ruined Preia's chances at being returned safely home to Ronin and Jamina.'

"Now is not the time to conflict with your inner guilt, Lord," said Alexavier, his voice very harmonious, pure, and justified as he returned with Eoru. "He has protected Preia as any other of the Fayrian army would, and I am sure that he is willing to give everything to protect her, just as you are. You, Lord, ask too much of yourself, and not enough of others. You are not the only person living on this earth; you have us to help you through."

He gave a faint smile and stood up despite the elven girl's protests. "You've disobeyed me more than I ever have you. Let me do this." He took the sword his Sword spirit was holding out for him, and summoned Eoru and Svinsahdra back. He held his sword with his other hand, the other one delicately wrapped with Preia's cloth. "Rye is your brother, demoness?" he asked coldly. He continued just as harsh, eyes and voice devoid of any emotion, "You have the same eyes."

Aceline appeared beside him, summoning back her dragon. "Shirala was ill-fated, Zephyr. It wasn't her fault."
 
Saleh stood silent as the drama unfolded before him. Though he had known of Rye's personal past, he still hadn't said anything about it, indicating his faithfully placed trust in Rye. In a means to ease the seriousness of the event, Saleh spoke in a manner that would place some of the blame on himself. "General Zephyr, I knew of this man's origins the moment I met him back in town. And as you entrusted Rye to take Preia away earlier, so did I. Our trust was not misplaced as you can see that Preia still isn't harmed..."

Hoping his words had helped, if at all, Saleh raised his sword in front of him. "With the power of this stone, I believe I'll be able to help fight now," Saleh said, almost in an excited tone. The crystal blue stone hanging around his neck began to glow a bright blue and it seemed to cool his body all over. The wind that constantly swirled around his feet sparkled in the sunlight. Taking notice to this, Saleh guessed the water that was now circling him in the same manner his wind had done was the ability the stone around his neck was giving him. "Let's put this to use, shall we?" he said grinning.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
"Let's go..." Ka-Rosu heard the demoness call from the sky, drawing a sword that held strong energy as far as Ka-Rosu could tell.

Ka-Rosu grinned to himself before withdrawing Anathar and pointing it at Cathayna. "A fight to the death! Let us see which sword holds more power. Your Earthenshaker? Or my Anathar, true sword of the earth handed down by the ancients themselves."

Ka-Rosu thrusted his sword into the air, and a pillar of earth rose up from under his feet bringing him level with Cathayna. "It's just too bad you don't like to dance. The skills would've proven useful." Ka-Rosu taunted, before stabbing the pillar with his blade. "STONE SHOOTER!!!" Once again, thousands of shards burst forth from the pillar and darted straight for Cathayna.


XXXXXXXXXXXXXX


Nakamura saw the blasts of energy burst forth from Allarayne's sword, and pulled on his wings to take on more evasive maneuvers. However, his wings not being meant for flying, couldn't react as well as Nakamura would've liked and he got pummeled by several of the demonesses attacks.

Nakamura got up off of the ground and dusted himself off. "You have quite a bit of skill under your belt general. But do you really think you and your comrades are strong enough to defeat the three disciples of General Takematsu? He has taught us everything we know, not to say that's all we know but that should give you some insight about us."

"Stand down Nakamura."

The voice caught Nakamura completely off guard, and when he turned around he saw the one person he thought would never help them. The one person who he thought had abandoned them. "Master Takematsu?"

"She is too powerful for you to fight right now. Go tend to the others, the general and I have some unfinished business. Isn't that right Allarayne?" Touchi said, taking Morthoseth from Nakamura. The sword reacted instantly to its rightful owner's possession and became shrouded in thick viscous fluid-like darkness.


XXXXXXXXXXXXXX


Having seen Allarayne's Stone spirit fly towards Rye and the others, Ishikawa saw this as an attempt to sneak attack his new comrades. He rushed over to Rye's side, and charged his shoulder straight into the spirit's chest knocking them both over.

"Coward. To attack when you know your enemy cannot see you is an act of weakness. Let's see how well you fair against one such as me."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Preia stared at Rye at his admission to having demon blood, surprise and hurt filling her eyes. It wasn't that he was half demon that bothered her; it was that he hadn't told her. Hadn't trusted her to know such a secret. Clenching her eyes shut to keep the tears from flowing, Preia whirled at her uncle's comments.

"Rye hasn't done anything wrong, Uncle Zephyr!" Staring the older elf in the eye, Preia clenched shaking fists, "Rye has done nothing but help us! He protected me from the demons, and now you act coldly towards him? How could you, Uncle Zephyr? You the one that always told me to accept others differences." Her voice turning to a whisper, Preia looked down, her bangs covering her eyes slightly.

Lilith sat in shock upon the ground where Rye had thrown her, blood red eyes filled with a sick kind of sorrow. Her brother would not accept her? How could this be? Surely there was something controlling his mind?

At this thought her bloody depths turned on Preia, narrowing dangerously. Or, perhaps, someone was controlling his mind.

"My brother will not accept me? Is this because of her?" Standing and smoothing down her skirt, Lilith summoned her scythe back into her hand, head whipping up and furious red eyes focusing on Preia.

"If I kill thee, then mine brother will accept me!" she cried, jumping forward and above Preia, bringing her scythe up over the elven girl.

Preia! Eyes flashing yellow, the elven girl unsheathed her sword and spun, blocking the scythe's edge and pushing it back, spinning and pointing the now transformed bow and arrow at the demoness. Fayria's translucent form appeared beside her, like a mirror image in different clothing.

"Thou ares't stronger then I thought, but not strong enough!" Going to dash forward again, Lilith hissed and froze when an arrow of light grazed her shoulder, leaving a bloody gash. Snarling angrily at the elf, Lilith leaped backwards, landing on her horse and reining it in furiously.

"General Allarayne, Shrirava, cease your battles and let us go; we shall seek out the stone as my father has ordered." Turning once more to Preia and Rye, Lilith's eyes narrowed further, "We shall meet again, elf." She spat before riding off.

Her eyes fading back to sea green, Preia approached Rye silently, slipping her sword once more into its sheath. Stopping in front of him, Preia looked up at his face.

"I don't care that you're half demon, Rye, it doesn't bother me. Just don't keep anything else secret, ok?"
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Rye wasn't sure if he was angry or upset. Upset that the demoness had revealed his secret, angry that his father showed some interest, upset that Zephyr wouldn't accept him, angry that he felt all alone.

He was in such a daze that he didn't really notice that Ishikawa had saved him and the others from the stone spirit.

"Coward. To attack when you know your enemy cannot see you is an act of weakness. Let's see how well you fair against one such as me."

Rye turned his head very slowly towards Ishikawa. "Thank you...brother," he said to the demon.

His head flicked up when he saw his sister lunge at Preia with a massive scythe. "NO!" he called just as he was about to run after the demoness, but Preia was able to hold her own. Rye realized he didn't have to worry about her so much.

When the group of demons rode away, Rye sheathed his sword and looked down at Preia, who had approached him.

"I don't care that you're half demon, Rye, it doesn't bother me. Just don't keep anything else secret, ok?"

He smiled sadly at her and said, "It is something, I wish not to talk about. I don't want to lose the only friends I have.

He looked at Zephyr and said nothing, knowing he had been rejected by the elven general.

Svinsahdra, Exosivian. Please forgive my late arrival, said Midknight as he prowled onto the field, hoping to break the tension that Rye's sister had created. I thank you for looking after my master while I was away. Rye Netherdrake, I am Midknight, your guardian as you possess the lighting stone. Where Zealous can only act as your defense by lending you his armor, I am your offence when you are in need of it. I for one do not care about your heritage. As you are the reincarnation of Zealous and keeper of the stone, I hope to serve you well from now on.

With that, the proud panther lowered his head in respect to his master. `I thank you, Midknight. I hope I serve you well as you serve me,' Rye told him.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Saleh followed Allarayne, Lilith, and Cathayna about fifty paces from the group, keeping his distance enough behind them to not be attacked, and for the purpose of making sure they would really leave. `Heh, it seems they've really gone.' Saleh thought smirking.

Tracing his steps back to the group, he re-sheathed his sword once he got there. Taking the stone around his neck in hand, he began to think, `I guess there really wasn't a need for this after all...'

Looking to General Zephyr and General Aceline, he pulled the necklace up and over his head. "I'm not sure if I was the rightful one to control this; after all, I'm only a knight..." Saleh said, holding out his arm to them with the necklace dangling in his grasp.

Saleh glanced along side him for a brief moment, noticing the many different feelings Rye's face gave away. Saleh began to open his mouth, searching for words of comfort for his friend, but he couldn't find anything to say.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
"You don't know what it's like to feel the betrayal of someone you've trusted, Preia. I meant that when these demons weren't able to escape from Malo, when it was just the two species of Neko-jin and we elves." Zephyr ripped off the cloth that Preia tied to his wounded arm ferociously, a dark anger clouding his eyes. "Right now, with whom you side with is no matter of me. All I request of you is the ability to continue on and retrieve the rest of the stones." He paused to allow his Stone spirit to tie another fresh piece of cloth on his arm. "I will take my leave and meet you at the Cave of Lost Treasures. Svinsahdra, you are to come with me. Silverwind!" He called his horse from the way they came, not once looking at the other members of his party he'd sworn to protect from Vikirnoff.
 
He could sense the distress and sadness in Rye, it was that strong, but at that moment, when he gazed into those blood red eyes, he didn't care. He was a demon, even in part; Shirala had been weak enough to let herself get defiled by a demon when Neko-jin themselves were given strength to protect their own race and selves. It wasn't his fault that he felt betrayed.

From behind him, Aceline reached out to touch the distressed general. "Zephyr..." Her voice was pained, and her eyes were glistening, her cheeks stained with pink. She hadn't known the general long enough, but her intuition told her that this wasn't normal for the composed general. "This isn't like you..."

Even if Aceline caught his wounded arm, he pushed her off as he mounted Silverwind. "I have already told you to meet me at the Cave of Lost Treasures. How will you meet me, should I not be there to meet you? Do not let sunset beat you to the swift ride. Wander west, and search for the largest cave where your stones react the most, and you will find it, so Alexavier tells me." Ignoring teary protests behind him, he rode on strongly, Svinsahdra following him from above, Alexavier and Eoru flanking him on either side, flowing in their spirit forms. Nobody noticed, with the general back in his armor, the lowly whisper that escaped his mouth--"I'm sorry..."--or the tears that flowed like a river down the general's handsome cheek.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Back with everyone else, Aceline watched Allarayne and her demoness companions ride off, then stared at Preia, Rye, and Saleh, devoid of hope in her eyes. "He and his dragon would have made this trip to the Cave much better," she murmured quietly. "And our passage inside would have been much easier, too... Svinsahdra, his Bronzephire dragon, is of the highest class beneath the Diamonds, and is heavily respected. She is the Princess of their kind..." She groaned as strong wind swept her hair back. She knew it was Zephyr's distress that went through the wind. She raised her eyes, and closed them as soon as they met the sun, and thought, Zephyr...

Then she looked at the outstretched jewel in Saleh's hand, "Keep it. You were brave enough to face the Naga Queen on your own to retrieve it, and therefore you deserve it. Zephyr has his and I will earn my own." She flashed him a small, grim smile that lost all of her usual happiness as she looked at Rye.

"It isn't that he doesn't accept you," she said quietly. "He's just having a hard time... conquering his inner demons, shall we say," She bit her tongue. What did she know? She was an outsider to Zephyr's life and his feelings. She didn't know anything, wasn't even anything in the general's life except for an acquaintance.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Allarayne opened her mouth to protest at Lilith's command as she faced Touchi with hatred etched everywhere on her face. She was growling, her fangs showing above her luscious lips. "Whatever unfinished business we have, Touchi," said Allarayne, "will have to remain unfinished. I must assist the daughter of my king with her journey, and then we will... finish this business. You chose a wrong time to appear, Touchi." With one last seductive smile thrown at the previous general of Malo, she sunk into her darkness, appeared on the saddle of her horse, and accompanied Lilith. She said to him through telepathic communication, Whatever side you will aid in the upcoming war, I am sure you will find your ten swords. All I ask is one of them to aid my side, and I will help your search whenever I have time to. What say you, Touchi? She purred his name, softly rolling off her silent tongue.

She called for her Sword spirit, who had been previously tackled down by the Ishikawa demon beneath Touchi's tutelage, and summoned Verzyan back into Amallaetheus, another dark glow surrounding it, this time more prominent. She smiled devilishly...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cathayna faced a similar situation. She saw the rock head towards her way, and she sighed. She raised a shield of earth to distract Ishikawa, and then traveled underneath the ground to rise just below her horse. She quickly mounted him, spurred after Allarayne and Lilith, and looked back at Ishikawa. "I swear to you by my mother's grave that you and I will finish this battle," she said formally. "But for now, I must leave." She threw Ishikawa a quick wink, and charged after her party.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Whatever side you will aid in the upcoming war, I am sure you will find your ten swords. All I ask is one of them to aid my side, and I will help your search whenever I have time to. What say you, Touchi? Allarayne asked telepathically, her seductive tone peeking Touchi's curiosity.

Well, I wouldn't mind the extra help, nor would I mind giving you a sword. As I recall, you know their names. Tell me which one you want and it's yours. Just don't forget, we do have some unfinished 'business' that needs to be taken care of, Touchi replied telepathically, using that deep voice that he knew sent shivers up her spine.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"I swear to you by my mother's grave that you and I will finish this battle, but for now, I must leave," Cathayna said before winking at Ishikawa.

"Another time then," Ishikawa said, before bowing slightly to Cathayna with an appealing smirk on his face. "And another place. We will have our glorious battle, and a glorious celebration whomever the victor."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
"I have already told you to meet me at the Cave of Lost Treasures. How will you meet me, should I not be there to meet you? Do not let sunset beat you to the swift ride. Wander west, and search for the largest cave where your stones react the most, and you will find it, so Alexavier tells me." the elder elf's words cut Preia deeply, leaving the teen to stand staring after her uncle with sad green eyes.

Forcing her eyes shut she wiped at them furiously to make sure there were no tears on her face before turning to the others in time to here Aceline speak.

"He's just having a hard time... conquering his inner demons, shall we say."

"We have no choice then," speaking softly yet loud enough to be heard, Preia turned to them with a look in her eyes that made her past life stare. The sea green depths, normally sparkling with energy and determination, were dull and lifeless.

Nuzzling at her neck to get her attention, Night Runner gave a whinny of distress upon picking up his mistress's mood. Lady Preia, it will be fine...

I know.Mounting the stallion, she turned to look at the others yet again, eyes focusing on Rye.

"Rye, are you riding Midknight this time or are you coming with me again?"

Preia, I have news of the countries... listening to Fayria's whisper, Preia turned now distressed eyes on her comrades.

"Fayria just told me that Fayrie and Gaia are raising their armies; there's going to be a full out war soon and we need to hurry."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lilith walked from the small hut in which she had just been, shaking out her blood covered claws and concealing something else in her right hand.

"Here." Throwing the objects at Shrirava, they were revealed to be two stones; one of grey and one of deep brown, "The metal heart stone and the wood heart stone; thou mayes't do as thine wishes with them.

Turning towards the mountainous region just north of them, Lilith grinned a cold, sadistic grin. "Only two stones remain, those of ice and earth, in the Caves of Lost Treasures. Guarded by dragons are these, and I sense that mine brother and his group have headed in that direction. Distrust distances the elf Zephyr from the rest.

She looked back at the two, eye's glittering evilly. "This could be to our advantage."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Rye was stunned yet not surprised by Zephyr's reaction. It made him slightly angry, that the proud General was too proud to even let his guard down and have a proper man to man conversation with him. And making Preia choose between himself and Rye was a cruel decision to throw at her.

To make matters worse, Preia seemed angry as well. Or was it determination, Rye couldn't tell, but it made him a little uneasy.

"Rye, are you riding Midknight this time or are you coming with me again?" she asked sternly.

Rye looked at her for a while before turning to Midknight. "As much as I would like to ride with Midknight, I'm not sure he can hold my weight."

Heh! You are not completely unlike Zealous as I originally thought, for he said the same thing when we first met, said Midknight as he stepped next to Rye. I may not have a large frame, nor do I stand far from the ground, but I have a strength that will only shine for my master. Get on.

My apologies Midknight, if I have offended you.

Rye plonked himself onto Midknight, and sat as if he were riding a horse.

You really are his reincarnation, aren't you. Lean far forward, and bend your legs back so that you may rest your feet on my back. Hold onto my collar, my speed and agility are second to none.

Rye blushed, feeling he looked very stupid. At that, Midknight took off, stopping by Night Runner, just to prove himself.

Rye's eyes were wide with shock. "Please don't do that again!"

Get used to it boy, Zealous and I made a great team. Say Night Runner. How about we perform a test of speed, just like the old days?
 
You're going down, cat. Glancing at Preia over his shoulder, Night Runner whinnied, Is that all right, mistress Preia?

Preia couldn't help the small smile that tipped her lips, and she nodded, "Of course; it'll be just like racing Sibel back home, just more fun."

Then, if you'll get into racing position... waiting till the elf had done so, flattening herself against his neck easily, we're off!

Jumping and getting a head start, Night Runner whinnied again. Try and keep up, Cat!

Not being able to help herself, Fayria's form appeared just behind Preia, sticking her tongue out teasingly at where she knew Zealous stood. Just like the old days.
 
Can we please not! We have to wait for the others as well, how are they going to.......

Shut up boy, toughen up, Exosivian and her Mistress will take care of them. Ready horse?

Zealous gave Fayria a smug smile from where he sat behind Rye. He then began to laugh, jovially, bearing his small, cat-like fangs. Leaning down into Rye's position, he disappeared.

Let's go!

With that, Midknight took off, leaping over whatever stood in his path.

Oh Goddess, save me, thought Rye as he flattened himself against Midknight even more.

Anticipate my movements, don't look away. Right now you're dead weight, I need you to move with me.

Rye cringed and looked up.

You see, I'm going to jump there, when I do, pull your knees in and lower your head.

Rye did as he was told. After a while, he became used to Midknight's movements and was able to move with him. He looked at Preia and gave her a whole-hearted smile, something he had never done since childhood, before melding with Midknight again.

Now we're having fun, said Zealous.
 
Preia flushed brightly when Rye flashed her a bright smile, her heart beating just a bit quicker. Smiling back, she looked forwards again when Night Runner whinnied and dodged around a particularly large boulder.

Night Runner, why don't we flylike we used to? Fayria commented from behind Preia, the stallion shaking his head.

Sounds good, hold on lady Preia.

"What are you... WOAH!" Squeaking when Night Runner suddenly leaped up towards the top of a tree, Preia clung to his mane and clenched her eye's shut.

Open your eyes and look around, Preia. Doing as the stallion asked, green orbs flew open at the sight that met them. Night Runner was bouncing over the trees, landing on a branch now and then before pushing off once more. The Caves of Lost Treasures were getting closer.

On one particularly high jump, Preia sat straight and spread her arms out, tilting her head up to the sky and smiling brightly, closing her eyes again. She felt like she was flying.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
That damn show off! He forgets his age. He's going to lose if he continues this.

Rye turned his head up to see Night Runner leap through the trees. On his back Preia sat with her arms spread open. To him, she looked like an angel as her hair caught the sunlight.

Rye smiled very softly at the sight of an angel.

"But an angel would never love a demon. It is forbidden," he said quietly, the wind stealing his words.

Did you say something?

No Midknight, it was nothing.

Rye turned forward again, squinting his eyes through his bangs and wind, due to Midknight's speed.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Yikes, now with Rye's secret unveiled, Zephyr seems mighty pissed off. And what's this? Is Preia falling head over heels for Rye and vice versa?! You'll just have to wait and see! XD
 
Amariahellcat
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Zephyr can't help it! He's that sensitive-to-betrayal kind of, erm, guy! *sheepish grin*
 
(Stupid tagline here that I won't even bother with),
 
Snowy