Fan Fiction ❯ ADDetective ❯ World Of Claire ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Somewhere in the small crowd somebody whimpered.


“I said SHUT UP!” The whimpering died as the child was cradled. He swore silently and turned his attention back to the window. A sweaty hand tried vainly to smooth back the shock of brown hair. Thin, unsteady fingers parted two blades of the blinds: just enough for him to watch the scene below without being seen. At least ten cars blocked the entrance, officers crouching behind out of sight lest he should feel the urge to start shooting again.


He smirked. Fear of guns had not died with the technological evolution of man. These police could rush any criminal holding one of those fool energy blasters…but some inner programming caused them to falter when staring down an old fashioned muzzle. He had no doubt they would go through with the trade…civilians before officers after all.


They would try to trick him. He knew that much. But he also knew that they had no idea what they were up against.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx


“You’re joking.” The young man shook his head.


“Sorry chief. That’s what he’s asking for. Sole rights to the Pacific Ocean.”


“What kind of a freak are we dealing with?” The older man wiped away the sweat that beaded on his balding head. Retirement, that’s what he needed right now. A nice beachside villa with just him and his wife and the grandkids during the summer, that’s not too much to ask for. What he did NOT need was this crap… “You suggested prisoner exchange?”


The officer bristled silently. “Yes sir. I followed protocol to the tee.”


“Don’t get your shorts in a knot soldier, I’m not questioning your competence. What did he say?”


“He agreed, but only if it is a female officer under the age of twenty. He probably wants to make sure he gets some greenhorn who won’t try anything.”


“Damn…” Chief Johnston sighed. “How many are in there?”


“Fourteen sir. Eight men, two women and four children under twelve.”


“Meaning we don’t have a choice.”


“Sir?”


“I̵ 7;ve already got a good idea who I’m sending in.”
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx


“Got a visual. Too crowded here…”


“Keep on him.”


“Got it.” Claire downed the rest of her coffee and dropped a few bills on the counter before hopping off the stool. Her target darted in and out of random doorways, constantly checking to see if he was followed. For a moment she engrossed herself in staring at her reflection in a store window. She smiled at the brunette staring back at her. You’re hot; you know that? Why yes, but thank you anyways. You’re quite welcome. Anytime dear. She glanced back to find he was moving on again. Without warning he stopped dead in his tracks and swung around to face her. Their eyes met, and instantly she knew her cover was blown.


“He’s on to me.”


The little chip in her eye buzzed a response. “Follow him. Getting backup down there. Don’t let him get away.”


She slipped off the annoying heels and dashed after his disappearing back. Why the hell do they always run? It’s pointless. We’ll catch them eventually.


Apparently Mr. Khaki Jacket figured that out as well. He pulled something silver out of his hideous coat. Okay, so he’s got one of those close range taser thingies. Gotta move now.


He reached to grab the closest person to him, a shield to get him out safely. Claire was too fast for him. Dumbass, everybody does that. Try something original, would ya? Khaki was thrown backward by the force of something bright red colliding with his face. The second foot followed closely behind its match, knocking him to the floor.


“Yes!” Claire crowed as her target went down and didn’t get up. “Right on mark!” She ignored the fevered mumbling of the general public as she slapped thick manacles on her catch. “You, Mr. Khaki sir, are under arrest for being a complete pain in my butt…as well as some other illegal stuff. I forget: what was it again? Ah, what the hell, who cares? Either way you’re going to jail for a long time. You annoy the hell out of me, so you do not have a right to an attorney. If you can’t find one on your own, ain’t nobody gonna pay for one for you. You don’t have a phone call, so suck it up.”


“I don’t think that’s exactly how the Miranda Rights go.” Claire grinned up at the two uniformed officers.


“What does he care? He’s out cold: he can’t hear me. You can always read ‘em right when he wakes up.” Unfortunate policeman number one got stuck hauling away the unconscious man.


The second officer watched his partner go and sighed in defeat. “Chief said he’d slap you with a year of paper pushing if you pulled a stunt like this again.” He scooped up the destroyed pair of bright red high heel shoes and tossed them to her.


“Well what the hell was I supposed to do? The place was crowded with civvies. I couldn’t shoot him.”


“So you threw your shoes at his head?”


“I’ve got really good aim.”


“You’re crazy.”


“I know.”


She gave him a thumbs-up and strolled of into the crowd.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx


Chief Johnston snorted a laugh at the stricken look on the young officer’s face. On the small screen a dark-haired teenage girl skipped barefooted through a shopping center. She’d stop every few windows to admire some merchandise…or her reflection…before happily continuing her frolic. If one listened closely, one could hear an off-key, fast-paced rendition of Brahms’ Lullaby.


“Sir, is THAT the girl you were talking about?” Johnston nodded, another chuckle shaking his jelly-like middle. “But sir, with all due respect, people say she’s …well…not exactly…”


“Yes, I know. People say she’s a moron. Make no mistake soldier, she’s a very intelligent young woman. If anything, I’d have to describe her as clinically unbalanced.”
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


‘Well that’s another hour of my life wasted. I could have been doing something constructive like…oooh! Pretty!’ She drooled at the shop window. ‘Thin strapped spike heels! And they’d go perfectly with my new outfit! And they’re shiny! Ooooh, sparkly!’ She jumped up and down and squealed.


“Danny? Hey Dan-dan, you there still?” The voice whispered out of the chip.


“What?”


“I need to borrow some money for shoes again. I broke my heels.”


“Damn you woman, how many times have I told you to throw pumps?”