Fan Fiction ❯ ADDetective ❯ Taken Hostage ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


“Ok then, I guessing we can’t give him that…right?”


“No Ms. Crowe, we cannot give him the Pacific Ocean.”


“Got it, ocean: bad. Did you offer him chocolate? Chocolate always calms me down when I feel like killing a lot of people.”


“…No Ms. Crowe. We did not offer him chocolate.”


Claire blinked. “Why?”


There was a sigh of purest exasperation. The officer in charge clenched his fists and mentally counted to ten...then twenty...then fifty. As much as Daniel enjoyed watching his discomfort, a glare from the Chief forced him to intervene.


"Come on Claire. Focus here."


"...Focused!" She saluted. "So what am I supposed to do?"


"The suspect has agreed to a prisoner exchange, but only if the officer is female and under twenty years old."


Claire blinked. "Okay... so what am I supposed to do?"


"Miss Crowe! Please! I am trying to be very patient with you!"


"Thank you! That is very nice of you."


The Cheif smothered a round of chuckles. "Daniel...please..."


The blonde young man stuffed his hands into his pockets and shook his head. "Claire, they want you to be the officer they exchange for the hostages."


"Oh." She frowned. "Why didn't they say that in the first place? Sure, I'll do it."


"Wait just a minute! How are we going to ensure her safety! You can't just send her in without any sort of..."


"Rest assured Daniel, she'll be fine. We'll have everything under control."


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Rowan saw her striding towards the front door, exuding confidence as if she didn't have a care in the world. Overconfidence gets you killed. He waited in the semi-dark inside the doorway, eyes never leaving the young officer.


"Um... hello? Mister hostage guy? Are you ther..." She crumpled to the floor, unconscious. Outside, Rowan could hear the flurry of activity. He snickered. The simplest thing that didn't go according to plan, and those fools just fall apart. He grabbed the unconscious girl and headed for his secret exit. They wanted the hostages back, well they could have them.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


"They're all here, unharmed, just like he said."


"Where's Claire?" Daniel looked around frantically. "Where is she!?"


"Calm down. She a resourseful young woman, she'll think of something."


"What!" He wheeled to face his boss. "Are you crazy! If she has to rely on her brains then she's as good as dead!"


Johnston glared. Vaguely he noted that he seemed to be doing that a lot lately... it was these damn kids they were putting on the force thse days. "Son, try to have a little faith in your partner."


"I do... and that's what's worrying me!"


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx


"Owie... five more minutes..." Claire moaned and rolled over.


"Get up." A gruff voice commanded.


"Ooooh... license and insurance please... it is illegal to operate a moving vehicle while under the influence of papercuts. Please step out of the squirrel and put your kneecaps on your head..."


"I said get up!" She felt herself being rudely jostled, but decided she wanted to sleep for a little while longer. Suddenly her world seemed to shift and she landed on the floor...hard.


"VIOLATION OF MANDATE SECTOR H2O, CRUELTY TO MORONS LAW!!" Her eyes shot open as she sat straight up and yelled. She looked around curiously. "This isn't Oz..." There was a humorless chuckle.


"No, its not."


Claire seemed to be inside of a cabin of sorts. The walls and floor were made completely of wood, and a stack of logs sat beside and old-fashioned fireplace in one corner. The floor was a golden brown colour, except for the spot where blood from the wound on her head had pooled onto the floor. "I could have sworn I was playing Mad-Libs with Toto...Oh! Its you! Mr. Hostage Man!" The brunette managed to push herself to her feet. She smiled and put on her best air-hostess voice. "A very good afternoon to you Sir. My name is Claire Crowe and I will be your hostage today."


"Shut up!"


She ignored him. "That's C.L.A.I.R.E.C.R.O.W.E."


"I said shut up!"


"As in, like scarecrow, just without the Sc, with a Cl, and it's two words..."


Rowan's light eyes flared with rage. How dare this broad* ignore him! He was the one in charge here! She didn't even seemed bothered that he had a gun and she was unarmed. "I'll tell you one last time, shut up!"


"...and there's an I and an E..."


His hand shot out and connected firmly with the side of her face. A dull thud echoed throughout the room and a thin trickle of blood squeesed out of the corner of her mouth. He smirked at the shock in her face as she reeled from the force of the blow, narrowly missing hitting her head on a cupboard and barely managing to stay upright. She stared up at him emptily for a second or two. "Oh... were you saying something?"


*I want 2 keep the rating at T or P so no heavy cussing... maybe I'm just squeamish... Oh well, imagine whateve nasty word you want to put there...