Fan Fiction ❯ Amoriods ❯ Work, work and more work ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Armoriods

Chapter 5

Work, Work and more Work

I woke up the next morning and showered. I changed into some clothes that I could work in. Jim had found an area to scout out. A large fissure had appeared out of nowhere and Jim thinks it is a testing ground. So we're going out to see for our selves if it is man made or just some freak earthquake. Always a possibility. So here I was walking to the hangar when, guess who, showed up in a bad mood as always. Must be that time of the month. I stopped and waited.

"Just where are you going?" she asked glaring at me.

"And a good morning to you too," I replied walking around her.

"Don't walk away from me! I know what you did to get here and I don't trust you," she growled at me. I flinched visibly. I couldn't help it.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't say that around me. It's bad enough I had to live it once. You don't need to remind me," I said to her walking away with a little less bounce in my step. It pained me to remember what happened. But more on that later. I shuffled into the hangar to see Jim saying goodbye to three or so girls crowding around the bottom of his Armoriod.

"Jim get a move on!" I called out.

"GIRLS!!!!" a shocked voice shouted out. Everyone turned to see miss blue hair standing with a shocked look.

"Don't be so shocked. Jim does this all the time," I said climbing in.

"Shut up you!" she shouted back. I grinned as the cockpit door closed.

`Score one for me,' I thought standing W 1 up and turning to Jim's suit.

"Jim if you don't get moving I'll dock your pay," I said to him walking out. Jim gave one final good bye before climbing and following me. We hiked in the suits to the fissure. Jim and I stood and looked at it.

"This is man made. Look at the glass and metal. This thing blasted for three miles in one shot," Jim said using his sniper scope to look around.

"Well at least we know what it can do," I muttered jumping into the hole. I hit the ground and the glass shattered up around me.

"The entire valley is glass Cody," Jim commented landing softly beside me.

"So sue me," I grumbled getting out. I jumped down and walked around while Jim kept an eye on the scanner.

"There is some kind of heat source coming in fast," Jim commented. I jumped back into the suit and stood it up.

"Where?" I asked backing off. Jim pulled out his rifle and aimed it down the valley.

"It's coming straight from there. It isn't a blast so don't worry. It is a machine though," Jim said backing behind some rocks. I ducked behind some outcroppings and looked out. I couldn't see anything but I could hear and feel it. I looked to see the glass I had chipped jumping around from the shockwaves. Wind blew past us fast. Both of us turned, locked on and fired at the ball of wind. Explosions rocked the ball. It slowed down and turned.

"Damn," Jim said looking at the seventy-foot horror in front of us; Spikes jutted out form every corner. It floated as well as had legs. I cocked my rifle and spread my legs.

"Jim on my count back flip behind the rocks and shot down the valley," I whispered.

"What ever you say," Jim said. I watched as its three crimson eyes locked on to us.

"One," I started. I moved my hand to the rock behind me.

"Two," I continued. I grabbed the glass and ripped off a chuck throwing it at the Armoriod. It fired at it blasting glass all over it.

"Three," I finished jumping over the rock. Lasers shot out and reflected off the glass. Jim and I both turned and fired bullets as the machine blew out of the laser's path and into our bullets. One of us hit the turbines and sent it off course into the wall. It landed and fell on to its legs. If Armoriods could glare this one did it and meant it. Both Jim and I stood waiting with guns ready but we were both sweating. Before it was just trying to get away. But now it was mad.

"Cody any ideas?" Jim asked sounding concerned.

"Shoot it," I replied tersely.

"Great plan," Jim replied sarcastically opening fire with me. Our bullets hardly chipped it before we jumped out of the canyon. We landed on opposite sides of the canyon while the enemy floated up and looked at us.

"Let's do a cross fire pincer," I muttered. That was a code so we would fire and make it up as we go along. The enemy took the bait and aimed to the left and right while we jumped and fired crossing the canyon.

"Base this is Cold fire team. Please acknowledge," I said over the COM.

"Cold fire this is base. What is the problem?" I heard.

"Well we found out what was causing the fissure but we might have to destroy it and we want to know if the hospital is open," I replied landing and twisting around to fire on the machine.

"The hospital is free and clear," I heard a grave reply.

"Good cause we are going to use it soon," Jim said getting hit in the arm by a laser blast. I ran and jumped up discarding my rifle and pulled out the beam sword. I raised it high and slammed it down into the Armoriod. It kept going from my momentum and fell to the ground on the other side of the fissure where Jim stood shooting at it. This one was different from the other one I faced but I didn't care. It obviously didn't like me. I rolled away as Jim fired missals and slammed it hard. I rolled up and locked on with my missals and waited. It stopped moving as I locked on. My scanners told me it was dead in the water.

"Enemy pilot surrender," I broad casted.

"Over my dead body!" I heard and saw the machine start glowing.

"JIM INTO THE FISSURE!" I screamed diving in. I hit the ground and covered the cockpit and waited. The explosion I found out went for several miles but at the time I thought I had died. After several minutes, but to me a lifetime, the shuddering ceased and the dust settled.

"If this is heaven it is certainly overrated," I heard Jim say.

"No kidding. I thought you couldn't feel pain in heaven. Think we in hell?" I replied.

"Nahhh. Unless the fire and brimstone was just a rumor," Jim replied. This was our way of checking that we are alive.

"So…can you move?" I asked grabbing the controls.

"I think I broke a leg," Jim replied.

"I'll get you to the hospital," I replied straining the machine.

"…I mean the armoriod's leg dumb ass," Jim replied laughing lightly.

"You said a leg. Not a specific leg," I replied defensively.

"Yeah, yeah," Jim replied and I could hear metal groan as we tried to stand our machines. My view screen came up and I looked around. It fizzled a little but it showed all the glass had been shattered. I jumped and looked around from outside the fissure. Everywhere looked flat. The explosion had created a crater and a large flat area beyond the crater from the shockwave.

"Well…we're alive," Jim said looking around.

"Yeah but we were lucky," I said looking into the deep crater.

"Luck is a good thing," Jim said as he turned and with my help we started walking back to base. No more enemies coming here now that the area has been discovered and we should report back. So we left. We walked across the desert because of the low power and damage we had. The desert is odd. In the middle of this rain forest is a desert with, now, a giant fissure and crater the stretched most of it. I looked over the geography of the area and saw why the enemy might want the area. Almost all forms of ground are in the area. Mountains, desert, rain forest, forest, sea, lake, swamp, plains of snow, plains and plenty of open sky. It fit. The enemy wanted to use this as a testing site for their newest and best Armoriods.

"They also got another piece of the testing. Actual moving targets," I whispered to myself. This would bring some news to the board about why but what I wanted to know was why Jim and I?

"Always the question…why and for what purpose," I muttered checking the radar.

"You talking to yourself? That ain't healthy," Jim pointed out walking beside me. I rolled my eyes and flicked him off over the COM screen.

"I am thinking out loud about what we are going to tell the general and his goons," I replied checking damage meters.

"So what are you going to say?" Jim asked curious.

"A hunch and a way out. Also could you get a hold of some of your friends? I'll need some favors from them," I asked him. I didn't know who they were, only that Jim's family had saved them at one point and were repaying the debt. All I could think of was that they were some kind of mafia.

"Yeah. What are you looking for?" Jim asked as we entered the way up to the base.

"Repairs and maybe some new equipment for our new trainees," I said grinning to myself.

"I hear ya. You report, since you know how I handle those situations," Jim started. I rolled my eyes at the last line, "And I'll get a hold of them and have them ship some stuff," Jim finished glaring at me for rolling my eyes.

"Yes cap'n," I said grinning.

"Wise ass," Jim muttered dragging one leg down the road. Things were starting to get interesting.