Fan Fiction ❯ An Unusual Friendship ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

All right, here goes-everyone ready? Good. No fair throwing things at the writer if this chapter stinks!! Warning-bit of gore in this part!! Please R/R!!! By the way Jaisia is pronounced as Jay-see-ah, ok?

Chapter 5

At the edge of Mirkwood Legolas had Jaisia stop under a large tree. "Wait here, I'll be right back," he said. He climbed up to a hollow in the tree and pulled out a pack and a water skin. He climbed down and dropped lightly onto her back.

Jaisia gave the gear a look and raised her eyebrow. "Do you always hide things like that in a tree?" she asked.

"It comes in handy at times. I spend a lot of time out here," Legolas replied with a shrug.

Ten minutes later they were out of Mirkwood and headed across the plains. They talked as they traveled. Legolas was finding that he liked Jaisia's carefree attitude. It made her a very pleasant traveling companion.

They'd been traveling about an hour when five Human men rode up to them and blocked their way. Jaisia stopped short. "Would you mind letting us pass?" she asked.

"I fear not, my equine lady," one said. "I am Thom."

Legolas tensed at that. Trouble for certain, he thought. He felt Jaisia tense as well so she was likely thinking the same. "We have urgent business," he said coolly. "Stand aside."

"That is a shame, I fear you shall not get to tend your urgent business. You are coming with us," Thom said. The other men snickered nastily.

Jaisia drew her sword, handling it easily despite its size. "We are going nowhere with you! Get out of our way or you're dead!" she warned. The five men drew weapons of their own and started to close in to attack. Jaisia didn't give them a chance. She lunged forward and slashed at Thom.

Even though he was caught off guard Thom managed to bring up his sword to parry. It didn't do much good. His sword snapped like a dry twig and his head was neatly separated from his shoulders. Blood sprayed in all direction as the corpse toppled from his horse.

Legolas was shocked at the power of the strike. A hand seized his arm and tried to drag him off Jaisia's back. Quickly as a cat, Legolas drew his dagger and plunged it into the Human's throat. The Human fell back as Legolas ripped the blade free. A club swung at Legolas's head and he rolled off Jaisia's back to avoid it, drawing his other dagger as he did so. Two of the men went after Jaisia and the third spurred his horse at Legolas.

Legolas dodged out of the way at the last possible second and the horse shot pass him. The rider cursed and struggled to turn his horse. Legolas grasped his dagger by the tip and brought his arm back. He hoped all the time he'd spent with his father's Weapon Master had paid off. He threw the dagger. His aim was true and the dagger sank in between the rider's shoulder blades. He toppled from the horse, dead.

The other two men decided they'd had enough and fled back the way they'd come. Jaisia let them go as Legolas hurriedly retrieved his dagger. He leaped onto Jaisia's back and she took off at a gallop. Legolas heard a hissing noise and looked over his shoulder to see an arrow aimed right at Jaisia's back!!

Jaisia heard Legolas gasp. "Are you all right?!" she called, slowing down.

"I'm fine, keep going!" Legolas said, grateful that Jaisia couldn't see the arrow sticking right through his forearm.

Two hours later Jaisia felt Legolas swaying. She stopped just as he toppled from her back and slammed heavily to the ground, unconscious.

I know, bad author- Nasty cliffhanger!! Guess you'll have to wait for the next chapter!! Ta-ta!