Fan Fiction ❯ Angel Wings ❯ Chapter 3:A Hidden Power ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: A Hidden Power

Friday morning Iris awoke to the annoying sound of her alarm clock. From underneath the bed covers her arm stretched out to hit the off button. Once the buzzing ceased Iris forced herself out of bed. She got out of the messy bed and turned on her radio. As she moved her body to the music she opened the closet door and grabbed a pearl white chemise and slipped it on. The shoulders of the chemise hung off of her slender shoulder. Next Iris grabbed a royal blue, velvet wench style bodice with golden draw strings in the back.

Iris turned to the full length mirror and shook her head. Her hair grew to it's normal length which was to her waist. She used a blue ribbon to tie it into a loose pony tail. Now, should I go with or without the wings? Iris bit her lip trying to decide. She didn't want to get herself killed. Finally she decided to without the wings.

After eating a quick breakfast, Iris slipped on a sapphire blue, hooded cloak to conceal her outfit and face. She nervously walked out of her home and to her bus stop just down the street. A few of her classmates gave her strange looks as she boarded the bus. She took her usual seat on the bus which was forth row from the back.

"Hey Isabel, what's your background?" a boy from her history class asked her. Iris grinned devilishly.

"You'll just have to wait till later to find out." after the ten minute bus ride Iris finally arrived at school. She didn't know if she should be scared or excited. She looked around and saw many students dressed up wearing clothing from their heritage.

Iris took in a deep breath and went to her locker which was located on the first floor of the three story high school. Once she had all her books ready for her morning classes, she then nervously took off the blue, sapphire cloak and hung it up in her locker. The moment she had removed the hood from her head she got many looks or confusion.

Iris walked down the hall to her class in the science wing of the school. She sat down at the back of the classroom as usual and waited for class to start. Her friend Eva walked into class wearing a green Irish dancing outfit and had her copper brown hair tied up in a tight bun.

Eva took her seat to the right of Iris in the back of the classroom. It was only when she sat down did she notice what Iris wore. She was startled at first but figured it was some sort of joke. "Hey, funny joke Isabel. Dressing up as a demon." she was laughing but not out of control.

Iris looked at Eva surprised. "This isn't a joke. I really am an Angalikan." Eva rolled her eyes and nodded in disbelief.

"Sure you are Isabel." she said sarcastically.

When noon rolled around and third period had ended, Iris went to the cafeteria to meet up with her friends as usual. All of them were already seated at a table near the back. She walked up to their table and sat down casually.

"Oh my god Isabel!" Iris smiled at Melody's comment, finally some notices that this isn't a joke! "That's hilarious!" Iris couldn't believe it. "You know Halloween isn't until October and it's only May." Iris bowed her head and shook it back and forth.

"It's not a Halloween costume! I really am an Angalikan!" her friends just laughed. How come they don't believe me? The rest of the day was miserable for Iris. Her plans had gone down the drain. Everyone thought she was pulling some sort of joke.

When Iris got home from school she went straight to her room and laid back on her bed. Why didn't anyone believe me? She wondered as she played with the golden pendent around her neck.

"Iris!" her mother called from down the hall. Iris sighed and sat up. "Oh, there you are." her mother was surprised to see her daughter all ready for the gathering that night in the forest. "Well, this is a surprise." she exclaimed. Iris forced a smile then let if fade. "Oh honey, what's the matter?" her mother sat down beside her on the bed.

"Well, it's just that I wore this to school and everyone thought it was some sort of joke." her mother's eyes widened.

"You're damn lucky they thought it was a joke! Do you have any idea what they would have done if they thought other wise?" Iris nodded. She knew perfectly well how they would have reacted but that's what she wanted. She wanted her peers to know that Angalikans were the people they least expected and how they could be trusted.

Once the rest of her family was ready they headed off to the forest where they went every Friday night to gather with other Angalikans. When they had arrived, Iris's mother and father went off to socialize with the other adults. Her older brother went and flirted with Alida. Quinton had been fancying her for the past year. She was a year younger than himself making her 18.

Iris looked around and spotted her two older cousins, Bonita and Calista. Bonita wore a short sleeved, ivory chemise with a flaming red bodice and Calista wore a long sleeved, pearl white, silk chemise with a hunter green, wench style bodice. Iris waved to Bonita and Calista. The two saw her and walked over towards her.

"Hey Iris!" Calista said as she waved back. Bonita didn't look too happy though as she approached her younger cousin.

"You know you've got a lot, and I mean a lot, of nerve to go to school wearing that! Do you have any idea what could have happened if they didn't think it was a joke?!" Bonita scolded. Iris shook her head in surprise.

"Wow, I think I just had deja vu because I could have sworn I've already heard the exact same speech before." Bonita rolled her eyes. "No, wait, my mom already gave me that speech." Calista couldn't help but giggle.

"Whatever Iris. Just, don't do it ever again cuz if you do and people actually believe you then you won't be the only one who they'll be after." it was obvious she was referring to herself, her sister and even Iris' brother Quinton. Iris sighed in defeat. She knew her cousin too well and that in an argument she didn't stand a chance against her. after a long and bothersome silence, Calista took it upon herself to break it.

"Hey, why don't we go and join in on the dancing?" she suggested. Bonita and Iris agreed. What was the point of going to a large gathering and not joining in on the festivities? It would have ended up being a waste of time. Iris soon grew tired from the continuous dancing and decided to take a walk by herself. She didn't even bother to tell anyone because she knew if she did, someone would end up going with her.

Calista noticed something different, something or someone was missing. "Hey Bon, where did Iris go?" she asked as she stopped dancing. The two of them looked around and couldn't see their cousin anywhere.

"I saw her walking along the path on her own." came the young and cheerful voice of Vesta. Bonita and Calista's eyes widened.

"What?!? She went on her own!?!" Bonita yelled rather loud getting the attention of some fellow Angalikans.

"Huh? Who went where on their own?" a tall, 17 year old male Angalikan with raven black hair and sparkling blue eyes asked.

"Oh hey Owen. Our cousin Iris went for a walk in the forest alone without telling any of us." Calista, unlike her older sister was much calmer about the situation. A worried look came to Owen's face.

"Which way did she go?" he asked. Calista shrugged and Vesta pulled on Owen's pant leg.

"She went that a way." she said pointing towards a small pathway which was barely lit with lamps. Owen frowned and went after her. Since the death of Juno there had been more spottings of humans in the area making the forest more dangerous for their kind. Owen ran down the pathway to hopefully catch up with Iris.

"Iris!" he shouted as he spotted her. Iris turned around slowly. The look on her face was grim.

"What do you want?" she asked him annoyed for interrupting her time alone.

"It's not safe to be walking in the forests alone." Iris rolled her eyes. How the hell am I supposed to get anytime alone then? Well, maybe it wont be that bad having him around. He is kinda cute. . . Iris continued to walk and Owen followed. She was almost killed before and he didn't want someone to find her dead.

Owen wasn't sure what it was, but something was telling him he must protect Iris at all costs. Perhaps her soul was one that he had known in a past life. A sound from the bushes broke Owen's train of thoughts. Instantly he placed his hand on Iris' shoulder, stopping her.

"What?" Iris asked as she turned and faced him. His face was as hard as a rock. Iris knew there was something wrong. She stepped closer to him worried. "What is it?" she asked in a whisper.

"Humans I think." he whispered back then surveyed the surrounding area. "C'mon, lets get out of here." he suggested. Iris nodded in agreement. She knew how deadly and ruthless humans could be to their kind.

As they both turned to head back to where the others where, they were stopped by a clicking sound that could only come from a gun. "That's right you filthy demons." a very familiar voice to Iris sounded from behind them. Iris regretfully turned to the voice. It was Matthew. He and a group of his friends came out of the bushes holding their guns pointed at Iris and Owen. "This time you won't live you blasted demon." Matthew slurred.

A lump rose in Iris' throat. I'm gonna die . . . She dropped her eyes to the golden pendent and looked at it sadly. Well look on the bright side, I'll be able to be with Juno again. She forced a smile that soon disappeared.

Owen looked around frustrated. They were out numbered six to one and completely surrounded by the enemy. The trees around them were too low and in the way for them to fly away. There was no way out but death. Just as all hope seemed lost, Iris' neckless began to glow an eerie yellow aurora.

Frightened by the strange light, Matthew pulled the trigger of the gun. The bullet speed towards Iris but slowly came to a stop much to everyone's surprise. The bullet was dangling in mid air, not moving. Mesmerized, Iris touched it lightly and watched it fall to the ground.

Matthew opened fire again and again but the same thing happened. The bullets stopped in mid air and fell to the ground. Matthew looked at his comrades sheepishly. Iris stared at him dead in the eyes. Her glare looked soft but terrified Matthew and his comrades. They first began to move away slowly then ran for it.

Iris began to feel dizzy. She couldn't concentrate or stand up straight. She wobbled then fell to her knees. Owen ran beside her and caught her before she hit the ground.

A/N: okay, there's chapter thee. It would be nice to here your comments but I guess nobody feels like sharing what they think. Well, like I always say in every A/N, if you have any flames or questions, feel free to e-mail them to me at sailor_cosmos71@hotmail.com