Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Slayer ❯ The Promise ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before the Slayer 3: The Promise
 
Dear Diary:
The warmth is coming. I must hurry…
 
Upon hearing and seeing me run into the room, the fallen stood up, putting the book down. He smiled, opening his arms and walking towards me.
“Lilly.” He greeted as if we were old friends. I backed up a step, and he stopped, dropping his arms and smirking. “Oh, I see how it is. You can trust Chaos, but you can't trust me.”
“I can't trust either of you. Now tell me who you are and what you're doing here.” I commanded, sounding braver than I felt. He mocked a hurt expression.
“Oh, Chaos. You didn't tell her about me?” he asked, looking over my shoulder. I stiffened in fear and realization as two arms wrapped themselves around me.
“She ran away and disappeared before I could.” the fallen I knew as Chaos replied from behind me. I did my best not to start shaking as the horrid memories of what he'd done to me before returned. Asa whimpered into my chest, and I held him closer, doing my best not to squeeze the life out of him. Black wings surround the three of us as Chaos looked over my shoulder. He moved his left arm to touch our son, but I slapped him away.
“Don't touch him.” I ordered coldly.
“That's our son, isn't it…?” he asked, looking down at the child as if he were a loving father.
“You mean my son. For him to be yours, you would have to have raised him too.” I shot back, glaring at him as he leaned over my shoulder.
“What's his name?” he asked, dodging my sharp point.
“Asa.” I answered. He nodded, and ran a hand through my hair, kissing me softly. I jerked away from him, but he held me tighter, putting a little pressure on my wrist with his right hand, hinting that he could hurt Asa. Poor Asa didn't understand, and snuggled closer to me. Chaos noticed, and smirked slightly.
“Lucky kid. I only wish I could get that close to you.” he said aloud, before whispering, “Because I really liked it when I was before.” I was unable to suppress a shudder at his words and the frightening memories they brought. He smirked in satisfaction, and released me, grabbing Asa from me before I could stop him. He put the boy on the ground, and kneeled before him, looking the terrified child in the eye. The other fallen stopped me from going to him, smiling and asking me to please stay calm.
“Hello, little one.” Chaos said in a soft tone. “Do you know who I am?” The small child shook his head `no', and squeezed his angelic teddy bear tighter. The fallen frowned at the bear, but hugged his son. I started forward, afraid for him, but was blocked once again by the redheaded fallen. Asa didn't hug this strange man in return, but rather, tensed in his grip, as his mother had done. When Chaos felt this, he twitched and released Asa. “What's wrong, little one?” he asked.
“Y-you scared Mama.” He replied timidly. “And if she doesn't trust you, then neither do I!” he cried, running around the other fallen and into my arms. I hugged the small boy, and looked at Chaos. He looked mildly surprised at the child's wisdom and bravery, and stood up to his full height.
“He takes after you, Lilly. You taught him well.” he said with a slight smile.
“I couldn't take any chances. This is New York, and since you were after him, I had to do everything I could.” I replied. He shook his head, but got the other fallen to back off.
“This is Spite, by the way.” he said, motioning to the redheaded, silver-winged fallen. “Now, I think you should explain to Asa who I am and why I'm here, Lilly.” Asa looked up at me, and I picked him up, setting him on the couch. The innocent little thing rubbed his eyes, and yawned, somehow managing to keep from dropping the bear.
“Can it wait until morning? He's tired, and needs his rest.” I said, trying to stall for time so I could think of a gentle way to put it.
“No. I want him to know.” I sighed, and kneeled before my son, and took his hands.
“Well, Asa. Remember how I told you that we couldn't let Daddy find us?” I started, unsure of how he would react. He nodded sleepily, and I continued. “Well, Chaos is your Daddy, and he found us.” My son stayed still for a moment, figuring out what I just said; then, his eyes widened slightly.
“He's Daddy?” he asked, pointing to Chaos.
“Honey, it's rude to point. And yes. He's your daddy.” I chastised gently. He blinked a few times, and got up, walking over to Chaos. He looked up at him through Chaos' black bangs, and then looked back at me for encouragement. I gazed at him, holding my breath; I gave no encouragement, but neither did I try to stop him. He looked back up at his father with those lost eyes, and snuggled closer to his teddy bear. He walked back over to me, and plopped down. Chaos frowned, and started forward, but paused when Asa began to speak.
“Mama, can we pray? I'm ready to go to bed.” he said. I nodded, smiling gently, and waited patiently for him to climb into my lap.
“Now then, what are we praying about tonight?” I said conversationally.
“I wanna pray about you and Daddy, Mamma.”
“Okay, and I'll pray about you and Daddy. Okay?”
“Okay!” He smiled, and bowed his head, putting his hands together. I did the same, touching my head to his.
“Now I lay you/me down to sleep. I pray the Lord your/my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord will keep you safe/my soul to take.” We chorused. “Amen.” Then, we both remained silent, giving our own silent prayers. Dear Lord, I pray once again for forgiveness for my sin six years ago. I also thank you once more for the wonderful and healthy child you have blessed me with, for not everyone is so fortunate. I pray for guidance, Lord, for Asa and I are faced with a new terror. The Fallen Chaos and Spite have come for Asa, and I fear for my son's safety. Please, if there's anything that you can do for my son, help him. I will give anything, even my own life. Amen. I prayed, hoping that He was listening. I opened my eyes, and saw Asa already asleep on my lap. I slowly slid out from under him, and put his head on a pillow. I started debating on whether or not I should leave him, for fear that they would hurt him or take him away, but then Spite spoke up.
“I promise we won't hurt him or kidnap him tonight. I swear on my wings. All six.” he said. I nodded, and went into my room, grabbing the blankets off of the bed and ignoring Chaos' suggestive look. I walked back into the living room only to see Spite kneeling next to my son and watching him sleep.
“I haven't slept in such a long time. Sorry if this seems strange to you, Lilly.” Spite said before I could ask. I nodded, and threw one of the blankets over Asa, sitting in the recliner and covering up with the other one. It was the lighter of the two, but I didn't mind. I closed my eyes slowly, praying that the fallen would be true to his word.