Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Slayer ❯ The Power of Prayer ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before the Slayer 4: The Power of Prayer
 
Dear Diary:
I woke up the next morning warm and comfortable. I didn't want to get up or open my eyes, but something told me I must. I ignored the growing feeling of danger, and snuggled closer to the warmth. Someone lightly stroked my hair, and I was vaguely aware that I had moved from the living room to my own without ever waking up and walking myself. Yes, I could just float on this feeling.
“Hey, Chaos.” someone whispered. “We should leave soon, and I don't mean in the next five minutes. Quick, while they're asleep. I've got the kid.” I recognized the voice as Spite, and after waiting a moment for the words to register in my head, my eyes shot open. I bounded out of the bed and down the hall, praying that Asa was safe and out of harm's way. I ran through the back door in my closet, and saw Chaos standing there with Asa. I tried to tackle him, grabbing his wings and preventing him from flying away. He started in surprise, almost waking the child, and whirled around, trying to throw me off. I didn't let go, but rather climbed up his back and grabbed his hair, snapping his head back so that he couldn't see where he was going. I wrapped my legs around his wings, and punched him with my free hand. He cried out in pain, but didn't let my son go.
“Let go of him!” I screeched. Immediately recognizing my voice, Asa woke up and thrashed, causing Chaos to drop him. Asa instantly ran back inside, still in his pajamas, and I followed, releasing the angel and skidding away, almost unable to break my fall. I ran back inside, and met Asa on the couch. We sat knee to knee and bowed our heads in prayer.
Dear God, our Lord, please hear this prayer,” we chanted together, then going off into our own specific and urgent prayers. Lord, my son is in danger, and I ask that you protect him in any way that is required to keep the Fallen Chaos away from Asa. Please, all I ask is that he is kept safe… My head shot up at the same time Asa's did as a thump was heard right next to us. We looked over to see two angel wings spread before us protectively; and it was at that very same moment that the two Fallen, Spite and Chaos, entered the room. A soft hissing sound could be heard emanating from both of them, and I grabbed Asa, holding him close.
“Metatron,” Chaos snarled.
“Elijah,” the brunette angel replied coolly.
“What are you doing here? I thought you were off protecting some worthless mortal!” Spite hissed, his wings flaring out.
“Damon got to him before I could, Asa.” he answered, never even flinching. I noted that Spite had the same given name as my son, and shuddered, holding him closer. The angel glanced at us quickly, and stepped back, checking to make sure both of us were okay. He smiled softly at us, and then glared at the other two.
“This had nothing to do with you, Lapdog of the Creator, so leave my son to me.” Chaos said, sneering at my shiver of fear.
“Actually, it does. They prayed and asked for help, and the Lord decided to grant their wish. He chose me for the job.” Metatron replied.
“Even though you failed your last mission?” Asa snickered. Metatron didn't react violently, didn't even hint that he was angered.
“Leave. Both of you, before I call Gabriel and let him know that you're in his territory.” he threatened. It was then that I felt his anger at them for insulting him and trying to kidnap Asa, and the feeling was so cold, I quivered faintly. Both of their eyes widened slightly, and they gave each other quick glances. Chaos looked to be the less afraid of the two of them, and spoke up.
“I'll be back for my son, Lilly, and not even your foolish prayers will stop me.” he warned, turning and walking out the front door. I stared after them, not relaxing until I heard the door close. I released a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding, and loosened my grip on the frightened Asa. He was sobbing into my chest from fear and confusion, and he held me in a tight, innocent hug.
“Thank you.” I told the angel before me. He nodded smiling, and leaned down to Asa. He whispered something in his ear, and Asa lifted his head, still confused.
“I'm Metatron.” the angel introduced himself, standing up straight.
“I'm Asa.” my son replied.
“And I'm Lilly Jones. Nice to meet you.” I said. Metatron smiled, and sat down in the recliner that I'd fallen asleep in the night before, looking up at the cross above my mantel.
“I'm sorry, but I cannot accept your gratitude.” I frowned, confused.
“Why not?” I asked.
“Because it was your powerful prayer and Sadalphon's speed that got me here.” He gazed at my son softly, simple purity written all over his face. “If it hadn't been for him, you would have been hurt or killed, so it's him, not me.”
“You're being modest.” I stated, but kissed my son's head nevertheless, grateful towards Sadalphon. Asa stared in wonder at the angel before speaking.
“Metatron, the archangel. You're the one who told me to pray.” The archangel smiled again at the child's knowledge.
“And what is it that he can help us with?” I asked, quizzing my son on what I'd taught him a year ago.
“Record keeping, child issues, organizing, and ADD and ADHD problems.” he recited thoughtfully.
“Now then, what was this all about?” a new and unfamiliar voice said. Metatron stood, slightly flustered, and looked behind us. I chanced a look over my shoulder, and released my breath.
“Please don't do that.” I said, trying to slow my beating heart. The Archangel Gabriel stood behind my couch, an air of authority possessing him. He looked down at me and Asa, just now noticing the two of us.
“Ah, I see. The Fallen's son is here, and he and his mother called for help so that he wouldn't be taken away. Is that right?” I nodded mutely, unsure of whether or not I'd done what was right. Gabriel sighed.
“I thought you did the right thing.” Metatron said, trying to comfort me.
“But nevertheless, he has a right to see his son.” Gabriel stated firmly. I was on my feet in an instant, glaring at the angel.
“A right to see and visit him, but not one to take him away. I won't let him taint my son!” I cried heatedly, glowering at the emotionless Gabriel that I didn't recognize. He half-smiled.
“I'm glad you feel that way, Lilly. And you're right, he doesn't have a right to take him away. I'm glad you've learned your morals.” he said, his aura of pride gone. I hugged Asa, lifting him off his feet, and held him close, noting at how he hinted towards my past. “But what I want to know, is what you want me to do about all of this.”
“Nothing.” Metatron answered for me. I looked down at the floor, hugging my son to me. “I just wanted you to know that they were here, and they got past your defenses. That's a sign that they need to be tightened.” Gabriel nodded.
“It's being done as we speak.” Metatron smiled, and got up, kissing the top of Asa's head.
“Be good, and listen to your mother, Asa. Remember, if you ever need any help, let me know. I'll come.” he promised, making me beam inside. It's all I'd ever hoped for my son, that someday he would meet the angels and get to speak with them. I smiled, and Metatron disappeared. Gabriel walked up to me, and leaned down, having to go a considerable ways, since he was about 6' 1”.
“I'm sorry I reminded you of that.” he whispered to me. “But I'm glad you took my advice.”
“Me too. I don't know where I'd be without you, and quite frankly, I don't really want to.” I replied, smiling weakly. He kissed my forehead, and turned to Asa.
“And you. Count your blessings every day, and don't listen to anything your father says.” he ordered almost teasingly.
“I will! Like right now, I've been blessed because I've met two angels and because my Mama has the courage to stand up to Daddy when no one else does!” All three of us smiled at that, and Gabriel ruffled his dark hair.
“That's right. Very good. Keep it up, Asa, and maybe we'll meet again someday.” Gabriel said with a wink.
“It was good seeing you again. Thanks for coming.” I said, and he nodded, disappearing in a flash of light.
“Mama, Mama! Was that really Gabriel and Metatron? The ones from your stories?” Asa asked me excitedly. I don't think I've seen him so happy since that moment.
“Yes, Asa, that was them.” I confirmed. “Now, you should feel blessed, but not proud.” He nodded. “And why must we not be proud?”
“Because that's what the devil did, and he fell out of the sky for it.”
“And what else happened to him?”
“He was thrown into the Lake of Fire in front of all the other angels and was banished to Earth until he built a world of his own.”
“Good job, Asa. Now, it's time for breakfast.” I said, getting up and carrying him to the kitchen. “So, what do you think we should have?”
“Pancakes!” he shouted, throwing his arms up in the air. For a moment I thought of Chaos and how he'd made me pancakes… and that was the morning after…
“Right.” I said, smiling and putting him on the floor. I would not go back to that day. I refused to do that.
Soon, breakfast was ready, and I had to walk very cleverly to get to the table. I noticed that Asa was very thoughtful, but ignored it, hoping that he wasn't going to ask the question I knew was coming…
“Mama, if you hate Daddy so much, then what made you want to have me?” Asa asked, an innocently puzzled look possessing his little features. I stared across the table at him, still unsure of how to react. I had known that this was coming, but had had no clue about how to prepare for it.
“Because a very special angel told me that you would be the cutest thing in the world.” I lied, reaching out to touch him. He jerked away, making me recoil as if struck. “What's wrong with you?” I asked warily. He waited a while before answering.
“Last night…Daddy said something to me. He said you didn't want me in the first place, so I should come with him. He said—“
“And what did Gabriel tell you this morning?” I asked, cutting him off.
“But…still…” I sighed and reached across the table, grasping his outstretched hands.
“Do you want the truth, Asa? I won't lie to you if you don't want me to. I just… I wanted to protect you in any way possible, and I think it's best that you don't know.” I said in my dead-serious tone.
“I just want to know if you wanted me or not.”
“Well, at first, I didn't. I prayed for assistance and guidance, and got it from Gabriel.” I started.
“You mean you've met Gabriel before?” he asked.
“Well, not necessarily. More like I heard and felt his will, and was compelled to follow his advice. I was lost and confused, and if Gabriel hadn't been there, you and I would be down with Daddy right now.” I paused, allowing this to sink in a little before continuing. “He told me to `go to New York', and get an apartment, so I did. He also told me to pick up a religion and to raise the child with such things. He said to stay near to both fire and water, and only then would we truly be safe.”
We were both silent for a while, and then Asa cleared the table silently. I took him to his Christian school, and then went back home. I called in sick, and sat down on my bed, dragging my blankets in there along with a bible in common text. I hugged it to my chest, and prayed that what I had just done wouldn't motivate Asa to go with his father.
“It's okay, Lilly. Everything will be fine.” I was on my feet in a moment, and what I saw shocked me beyond belief.
“Michael?”