Fan Fiction ❯ Bloodstained Goodbyes ❯ Death of a Lover ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is just a little fic about the most romantic subject in literature, the death of young lovers. Hey, if Shakespeare can do it… Well so can I! Any way this is a Zuko and Katara fanfic!! So if you don't like that leave. Also I don't own A : TLA , Nick does!!
 
Blood. So much blood. My thoughts were detached. It didn't matter, no need to finish. God, all the blood. And, surprisingly, no pain none! I guess I should at least thank God for that! With a tremendous effort, I turned my head to look at him. Numbly, I registered an immensely pained expression on his face. It broke my heart to see it. He was covered in blood, my blood. It wasn't his pain I saw mirrored in his eyes, it was my own. Tears were filling his beautiful eyes, tears for me. I dimly recognized the small new stir of emotion in my heart at the site of his tears. Then I realized it; I was in love with him. If only the searing pain of my wounds wasn't driving all conscious thought from my mind. If only I could remember the reason I was in this state, I know I'd remember him. I know it would all come back to me. I started to drift back into the faded black settling around the edges of my consciousness. He was saying something, but I couldn't fight the darkness anymore. I gave in. I sank into the warm comforting embrace of the beyond. When I opened them again I saw only a white light reaching out for me. I smiled. I saw my mother and my father. Their arms reached out and held me close and I finally knew. I was home and my struggle was over. Two others also reached for me. My brother and Aang. They apologized for my pain and suffering at the hands of Ozai and the firebenders. I looked back to my lover and wished fervently that I could touch his face once more, kiss him and tell him that I love him.
 
 
Zuko's POV
 
 
 
This wasn't true. It couldn't be. She couldn't be gone. Not now, not when I had finally realized how much she meant to me. I loved her so much. I didn't even have the other two there to share my grief. I needed to be with her. So much that I didn't care how much pain it involved getting there. I choked as I pulled a knife free from her body and prepared to plunge it into my chest. “ We'll be together again soon, my love. Just wait for me. Please wait.” I whispered. With one last deep breath I plunged the blade into me heart. The heat that seemed to explode in my chest was the first thing I was aware of. The second the fact that my lungs burned with the need for air and the extreme heaviness of everything around me. Slowly black settled around my world and the darkness enveloped me in its comforting embrace. The intense feeling of serene peace drifted over me and I felt comforting arms surrounding me. I looked up into the smiling face of my mother. She had died in my arms eight years before I had been exiled. She had been ill for many years and my father had decided she was an expense the kingdom could no longer afford. So he poisoned her. Her life had ended in torment hours after the drug had been administered. But she was smiling now, finally at peace. I looked up to find Katara gazing at me with those eyes of hers. The eyes that first captured my heart. Wild and defiant eyes. She reminded me of myself long ago. Before my spirit had been broken and my heart withered away into a dark void. Then she came. She brought light to places long hidden from the world. In time, I opened up more of myself to her and she accepted it all without any sign of shirking. I came to realize I loved her and was fairly sure she at least liked me, but I still hesitated to tell her. Katara placed a hand on my arm and whispered the words I had longed for since my banishment. Though I had wanted to hear them from my father, it was better to hear them from Katara.
 
Normal POV
 
“Welcome home Zuko.” Katara whispered. “Welcome home.” She held out her arms in open invitation for him to hold her. He only hesitated a moment before crushing her into an embrace. Katara had tears flowing from her eyes as Zuko held her. He pulled away from her to look into her crystal eyes. He tried to tell her with his eyes what his lips couldn't say. “ Shh.” She whispered. “ It's alright love. I know. I love you too.” She smiled and leaned close to kiss him. After they parted she ran her fingers over the left side of his face. The scarred half, the half he'd always hated, but she loved. Only it wasn't scarred anymore. The skin was smooth and flawless. Zuko couldn't believe it. He turned and looked around at the Riviera they were in and smiled. He hooked an arm around Katara's waist and followed her lead down to where their friends and family waited. As they did so one thought crossed his mind, `So this is home. Nice place.'
 
 
THE END