Fan Fiction ❯ Caelestis ❯ Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Friends
 
It was hard to say goodbye. It was hard to leave all of my friends and loyal subjects behind for a world that I've only dreamed of. I was going to miss my garden and all of the creatures that inhabited it. Of course I was excited, but…
 
“Princess Terra! Princess Terra! Please, come quickly!”
 
My head snapped up and leveled with my lady-in-waiting, Floreo.
 
“What's wrong, Floreo?”
 
Floreo was flustered about something. I could read it in her bright green eyes. For an elderly woman, she is certainly energetic. Whatever it was that was bothering my friend, however, was going to be neutralized.
 
“Oh, your majesty,” Floreo bowed, “it's terrible! Veredus is having another one of his fits again! He demanded that he see you immediately!”
 
“Veredus? The centaur?” I rolled my eyes. Veredus was my best friend and lived in my garden. He loved to ruffle Floreo's feathers.
 
“Please, your majesty! He makes me so nervous! When he first arrived I thought that he was going to simply walk by, but he kicked over one of my seedlings and demanded that you see him.”
 
I rose from my crouch. When Floreo rushed in, I was in the process of greeting the roses that I keep next to my throne. They do need their company now, since I won't be able to see them from now until whenever.
 
Falling in stride with Floreo, I tried to capture my castle's image forever in my mind. Sitting in the West cardinal direction, I got the best view of a glorious sunset out of all my siblings. My castle always smelled of flowers and life.
 
“I'm so sorry, your highness, but Veredus frightens me. I didn't mean to interrupt you.”
 
I glared at Floreo. “You have done no such thing, Floreo! I understand your fear and you did the right thing in coming to me. Veredus…he just loves to mess with you. He intends no harm, though,” I answered gently.
 
Floreo ran her hand through her long, white hair, exasperated. “Well, if he keeps this up, I'll intend to hurt him. He killed my seedling!”
 
“Floreo, you know anything that pertains to the earth does not die here. I'm definitely sure your seedling isn't dead.”
 
Huffing in annoyance, Floreo grumbled, “I know, I know. But he really is a bother, sometimes.”
 
I laughed at her expression as we stepped into the garden. The garden was probably my favorite place in my entire kingdom. It was also probably the most spacious part of the castle. I know the garden spanned at least a mile in every direction. I allowed many of the creatures that had no place to go to live in the garden. Creatures such as unicorns, faeries, pixies, and centaurs were the primary source of life. Not to mention all of the different flowers and plants.
 
Stopping to observe a small pixie, I kneeled down to greet it. Greeting me back, it bowed and then scampered off to do whatever pixies do.
 
“How rude,” exclaimed Floreo. “It could've at least stayed to show a little respect. You are the ruler of this garden, after all.”
 
Smiling I said, “I don't mind. He was probably a very busy pixie.”
 
“Oh, Floreo stop gripping about every little thing that doesn't go your way. At this rate, you'll give Terra grey hairs to match your own.”
 
I turned at Veredus's voice. Standing at seven feet tall, he looked as a young, healthy centaur should. With his black hair in a low ponytail hanging at the small of his back, he threw his head back and laughed at the annoyed Floreo, who promptly stalked back to her seedling.
 
“Well, don't just stand there like a unicorn caught in a trap. Don't I get a hug, your majesty?” he teased lightly.
 
I grinned. “Of course.”
 
I always did like hugging Veredus. He always smelled like apples and fresh water and he made me feel safe when I was encased in those massive arms.
 
“I came earlier this morning, but old stiff-neck Floreo said you weren't here,” he said after releasing me.
 
Suddenly pulling away from him, I punched his right pectoral.
 
“Damn it! What was that for?!” he yelped, stamping his front legs.
 
Glaring at him I answered, “For trampling Floreo's plant! You know how sensitive she is about her plants, Veredus! They're like her children, for Earth's sake!”
 
A sly grin spread across his face. “Well, she wouldn't move out of my way. I wanted to see my friend and she was being as stubborn as a newborn ass.”
 
“Well don't do it again! She nearly had a stroke when she came in to complain about what you did. You owe her an apology.”
 
He snorted loudly. “She owes me one, first.”
 
“Why?”
 
“For pulling my tail again! I tell you, for someone who is so afraid of me, she sure likes to torture my tail,” flicking his long and silky tail he whined, “I don't know how much longer it'll hold up against the old hag.”
 
“Maybe you should cut it off. That way, she won't be able to mess with it.”
 
Giggling at the horrified look in his blue eyes, I patted his shoulder.
 
“Yeah, well, all joking aside, where were you this morning?” he asked, cocking his head.
 
My face fell. Veredus didn't know about my punishment yet. I didn't want to cause him any grief.
 
“I was here this morning, idiot,” I lied. I turned to walk in the other direction.
 
The sound of hoofs trotting to catch up with me only made the foreboding feeling of having to tell him worse.
 
“You're lying, Terra. When I came to the castle, it seemed…dead. All of the plants surrounding your castle were crying that something terrible was going to happen to you. Are you sure there's nothing you want to…talk about?”
 
I bit my lip. “No.”
 
“Terra—“
 
“No, there's nothing. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and help Floreo with her seedlings. You know; the ones you trampled.”
 
Rolling his eyes, he followed. “C'mon, Terra. You're hiding something, I just know it. We've been friends since we were kids. So cough it up, princess, what's bothering you?”
 
“If I told you, you wouldn't believe me,” I replied, still anxious to find Floreo.
 
“Try me.”
 
Stopping, I sighed. “Okay, as you know, the economy hasn't been very good, right?”
 
“Right.”
 
“And you know how I don't like asking for help, right?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Well, daddy found out, and now I'm in trouble.”
 
Veredus's eyes darkened. “What kind of trouble?”
 
“Big trouble.” I answered vaguely.
 
“Terra…” he warned.
 
“Okay, okay. Daddy…he sent me to…Earth, as punishment.”
 
Veredus was silent. “Veredus?”
 
“So, he sent you to Earth as punishment for letting the kingdom's economy fall, right?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Did he send you by yourself?”
 
“No. Aer, Ignis, and Aquaticus are also coming.”
 
“That's all I needed to know.”
 
Turning around, he broke off into a run towards the garden's exit.
 
“Veredus! Veredus, where are you going?” I yelled after him.
 
“To talk to your father,” he called over his shoulder. “I'm coming too!”
 
“No! You can't come!”
 
Stopping a mere few meters away from the exit, he spun around, impatiently stamping his hoofs. “And why not? Your brother and sisters are going, so why can't I?”
 
Concentrating enough to form a rock in my mind, a large piece of marble materialized in front of me. Stepping onto it, I floated to Veredus, who looked miffed.
 
“Answer my damn question! Why can't I come?” he asked eagerly.
 
“Daddy says I'm not allowed to bring anything from home, which includes you.”
 
“Yeah, but—but well—can't I just ask him? Maybe he'll be nice and let me come,” Veredus stammered. I could tell that he really wanted to come.
 
“Veredus, I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do. You know that once daddy sets his mind on something, it can't be changed. You have to stay here.”
 
I nearly cried at the crestfallen look on my friend's face. He looked so sad, that for a fleeting moment, I actually considered trying to sneak him with me. I knew that wouldn't work, however.
 
“When do you leave?” he asked solemnly.
 
“Tomorrow morning. I have to go to daddy's kingdom before I go.”
 
“I understand.”
 
Turning before I could say another word, he galloped away, leaving me to feel like I was losing everything I had known forever.
 
I turned and made my way to Floreo, thinking the entire way that I would miss everything about my kingdom.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
“Ignis, please calm down! Stop tossing fire around before you start one! That's why you're in the predicament you're in now!”
 
I ignored Vitreus's warnings, as usual. Sometimes, I swear she thought she was my mother, despite her being my best friend!
 
“Vitreus, stop worrying. I'm not complaining about anything. I think the old man did me a favor, sending us to Earth,” I said, continuing to juggle my fireballs. It was my favorite activity, after all. Well, besides having fun with lovely females.
 
“Ignis, I've been to Earth before. Some mortals can be really callous. Most of them even loved to fight each other. Not to protect themselves from one another, but just for the fun of seeing another's blood on their weapon.”
 
Unfurling a large, flaming wing, Vitreus withdrew three out of the four balls of flames I was juggling. They were attracted the power of her flames. Damn that phoenix.
 
“Hey! Give me those!”
 
“You're such a child, Ignis, honestly.”
 
I stretched a grin and bowed in mock royalty. “Why thank you, my flaming dove. That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.”
 
Standing from my throne, I moved to the window. Looking through it, I could see my entire kingdom. Or what was left of it. Like the old man had said, I'd nearly burnt my entire kingdom. The only things preserved from the fire were my castle and the surrounding land within a five mile radius. I've got to admit, I did feel bad about that. I think I really did mess up with that nymph.
 
“Ignis, what do you intend to do when you get to Earth?”
 
I turned and smirked perversely. “Well, the first thing I'm going to do is look for a sexy girl to play with. I hear from Itio that Earth girls are just like fire nymphs, except when they get mad, they can't set you on fire.”
 
I heard Vitreus sigh. “But won't you be concerned about your kingdom? Won't you miss home? Won't you miss me?”
 
I felt bad, then. Leave it to her to screw up the mood. Vitreus, along with my four sisters and mama, was one of the only females that could make me regret something stupid I've said or done.
 
“Oh c'mon, of course I'll miss you. And father can handle all of the kingdoms like he used to. As for missing home, I'll be having way too much fun to miss this place.”
 
“Was that supposed to make me feel better?” Vitreus asked dryly.
 
“Did it work?”
 
Vitreus sighed. “Fortunately for you, it did.”
 
“That's what I was aiming for,” I relied lightheartedly.
 
“I wish I could go with you. You might need protection. What if your training wasn't enough? Will you be warmed sufficiently? It gets cold on Earth during certain parts of the year, and I know—”
 
Snagging the great bird's beak in my index finger and thumb, I lifted her head. I was really going to miss hearing Vitreus and her maternity-mode stressing.
 
“Vitreus, you've trained a winner. I'm the best, thanks to you. And what makes you think I'll be cold? Have you forgotten who I am?”
 
Grinning sadly, Vitreus nodded. “You're right. I'm sorry.”
 
“Besides, if I ever get cold, which I won't, I'll just think of you and then I'll be all nice and toasty. Well, either that, or I'll find a nice warm body to keep me company.”
 
Laughing, Vitreus enfolded me in her glowing wings, the reds and yellow-oranges of the flames soothing me. Despite my excitement, I was nervous. Not that she would find out, though.
 
“Of course, my prince. Of course.”
 
 
 
-Glossary-
 
Floreo- name means `flower'
 
Veredus- means `horse'
 
Vitreus- means `glitter'