Fan Fiction ❯ castle of new hope ❯ Nateal ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

We decided to stay here for the night. It would be safer then any other place and we would have suitable defenses if we were attacked. Nateal showed us to the chambers and we all had our own bunks Most of them three or four beds high. We then stowed what litter gear we had, then made our way to the mess. We found a lot of food there; mostly rations for the men but there were a couple stoves


After we had taken our fill of the rabbit, which we made into a stew; we decided to sleep to play some card games, which fortunately Nateal had some cards. So we just sat down and played crib. A couple hours later we decided that it was late and we all needed rest. Nateal offered to take first watch and he did. But no one else got woken up for their watch; Nateal had taken the whole 8 hours by himself.


I know he's a knight but this is bloody ridiculous. Mitch quickly round up the others after Nateal woke him up, to tell him it was first light. Mitch quickly found out that Nateal had taken all the watches, and got angry knowing that if the knight did this again. Knowing very well He could very well lose his strength. The knight soon gave in. After a couple hours of waiting we heard drums.


Deciet quickly ran to the tower and cursed. There in the far reaches of the castle, was an army of demons with a battering ram, and it was quickly closing that small gap. Deciet ran down the stairs and quickly told the others the news. Pretty much an army of demons and a few humans were about to take this castle and destroy anything in it, the leader of the army was human alright, but with more power then you can imagine.


Quickly everyone ran into the back room. This could only be opened from the inside. Knowing full well those steel doors could hold us in… Nateal closed the doors without him in the room! Why would he do this? Was he trying to kill us all? Or was he… wait… he was going to fight them all off by himself. All of us tried to open the heavy door but to no avail, it wouldn't budge…


We found another way out trough a cellar. We decided to pay our respects later when the army was gone. So we waited for what seemed to be an eternity before we could go back, the sun was just starting to set, so we still had plenty of light. As soon as we went into the big broken doors there was blood. Blood and guts everywhere we looked. Almost the whole castle reeked of blood.


I could still not understand why, he left himself to die in there like that… it was suicidal I knew that, but he had a sense of honor. After we went near the back room we saw Nateal. His arm was barely on and he had a gaping hole in his chest. But amazingly he was still breathing; it was almost like he had enough discipline, to not die.


We needed to get Nateal into a high clerics tower and quickly. There was one about seven miles away, luckily we got him there within the hour. One of the Clerics who seemed to be the highest of there order. Took him in straight away, not caring about us only about the knight


(Nateal's POV)

I had just shut the door behind them. I knew the demons couldn't get trough that… while I was defending it anyways. I quickly drew my huge bastard sword. And awaited for them to come to me, the first wave came in a batch of ten. I raised my sword in the knight's salute. And went to work, I quickly decapitated four with one swing of my sword. I then raised my blade so I could defend against six more.


I quickly twirled there blades leaving them weaponless, then with a low sweep of my blade, taking off there legs. I was then rewarded by a gaping hole in my chest by their leader. He then grabbed my arm and yanked… Hard enough to tear everything but a few muscles holding the arm; I knew I was going to die. But then the leader lifted me off my feet by the throat, and said angrily “you will live tormented by this pain"!


He then put his arm trough my wound, this man was toying with me… I did what I could do… I grabbed his dagger with my good arm and stabbed him trough the heart. He collapsed but to no avail… on me. Seeing their leader dead the rest of the army retreated hastily. Using all the strength left in my body, I pushed the corpse off of me… and then I blacked out… waiting to die…