Fan Fiction ❯ Divine Flame ❯ How It Begins ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue: How It Begins

Hgale, the god of light, sighed, his long white hair quivering. With a wave of his ancient hand, the celestial clouds parted, and the world of Ralos appeared in vibrant splendor below. His deep golden eyes seemed fierce and magnificent in the rapidly setting sun, but upon closer inspection, his eyes were, in actuality, filled with a profound sorrow. His white robes shone with its own brilliant light, rivaling the sun, but it seemed that today, the light was dimmed. Next to Hgale, pacing impatiently on the clouds, was another god, dressed in knight's armor, carved with ornate designs. His short blackish-purple hair waved about gently in a breeze, his blood red eyes flashing in impatience and annoyance each time he glanced at Hgale. He would stop his pacing every now and then to peer at Hgale and the parted clouds intently, the silver gauntlets on his hands shining.

"So, it's true, then?" The other god asked, after a long moment of silence. His voice was deep and loud, and it rang out through the heavens. Hgale heaved another sigh, and turned around.

"Yes. Evaelc will soon be descending to devour the world. His followers of darkness grow stronger day by day, believing in his lies of a new world, a world of infinite power, and a world of peerless beauty. Meanwhile, our followers, the ones of light, dwindle, and will soon vanish completely." Hgale said sorrowfully, stroking his beard, turning back to face the world.

"It's that bad?" The other god asked grimly. Hgale nodded.

"I'm afraid so, Lunor."

"But there's the elves, and the lunaros…" Lunor started hopefully, taking a step forward.

"True, but they are little, compared to the vast armies of darkness." Hgale said bitterly. "Even if all of them were to stand up and fight, which is unlikely, they will most probably be defeated." Lunor fell silent, staring, unblinking, at the hole in the clouds. Hgale could hear some uttered oaths coming from Lunor.

"And without our followers then…" Lunor muttered.

"We're nothing. Nothing compared to Evaelc. Even now we barely have enough strength to challenge him." Hgale finished. Lunor shuddered at the reminder of his fading powers, and recalled, with a pang of pain, the moment of triumph and joy that the gods had shared when they created Ralos eons ago. They were tremendously proud then, but now, Evaelc, the god of darkness, threatened to destroy their beloved world. None of the gods were willing to stand up and fight, for they had little or no power at all. Many of the more powerful gods had already fallen to Evaelc's unholy power. Some minor gods had even suggested that they abandon Ralos, but that was, of course, out of the question. None of the gods had ever seen Hgale so angry. He tried to banish those gods, but was restrained, just in time, by Lunor and several other gods.

"Nothing at all…" Lunor said. Hgale sighed, and waved his hand again, shutting the hole in the clouds.

"This battle will require the cooperation of several races, otherwise, Ralos is as good was destroyed. This is the battle of our creation…" Hgale said as the clouds slowly inched shut. Before they were completely shut, however, they saw Evaelc descending to Ralos, and their faces darkened.

Below, on Ralos, the sky and earth alike were stained red as a fiery star ripped through the heavens…