Fan Fiction ❯ Divine Flame ❯ A Strange Day, A Strange Encounter ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: A Strange Day, A Strange Encounter

Arkeson Drake Goliathes gave a great yawn and hopped out of bed cheerfully, throwing on his usual attire of a plain shirt, long trousers and his leather boots. He tied his long blue hair back in a ponytail, and walked out of his home, whistling. The lush greenery greeted him as he wandered about the little town he lived in. Legna was a thriving community built on the edge of a forest, its population small. People there were as friendly as anyone could get, and were renowned for their friendliness all over the world of Ralos. Races of almost every type lived in Legna, and there were rumors that a dragon lived there as well.

The rumors were for real. Unknown to everyone, the blue eyed, cheerful and adventurous youth was the dragon. His name was Arkeson Drake Goliathes.

Arkeson walked along the path merrily, greeting everyone on the way to the gate of the town. He then clambered up to the guard, and, sneaking behind the unsuspecting victim, yanked the helmet visor over the guard's eyes. He leapt back, laughing, as the guard hopped about, muttering oaths, trying to get the helmet off.

"Have a nice day, Nelson!" Arkeson called, grinning, as he ran out the gates, his large sword creating an awful din on his back. Behind him, the guard hopped about still, swearing loudly.

The sun shone down brilliantly upon the world, filling every spot with its light, the shadows seemed welcoming instead of horrifying. The bird's songs were happy instead of sorrowful, the water sparkled with a brilliance rivaling a gemstone. Arkeson strolled along leisurely, whistling an old tune, looking around, and hoping, as he did everyday, for an adventure. He was somewhat disappointed, but at the same time cheered at the prefect weather. He sighed, not in bitter disappointment, but in peace. He continued on to his favorite spot by the waterfall in the woods.

His adventure would come along soon enough, but not in the way he had always expected it…

Far away from Legna was a large and mysterious forest, known to many as the Forest of Illusion, for it was said that whoever wandered in would never step out again. Deep within it, in the heart of the forest, was the homeland of the lunaros, chosen of the moon god, Lunor. This magnificent race stands slightly taller than humans, and is specially noted (if seen, which is very rare) for their fox-like features. They stand on their hind legs, and their hands, unlike foxes, are gentle and thin. Their fur is soft and luxuriant, and each lunaro usually had fur of multiple colors clashing together in a mixture of beauty. Their large tails possess enormous strength, and the lunaros' might is hidden beneath their slender build. They have powerful senses, are swift and silent, and dislike weapons, preferring to rely on their fangs, claws and spells. They are well versed in magic, and sages from their race in reality, created the illusions of the forest. They are usually cold and seemingly emotionless, but they are fierce warriors.

At that moment, their princess, Landerendor Celas Lunar was sitting in her spacious room, glancing up at the sky, seemingly scowling. Not that she detested the day, she was merely upset and confused that their revered god, Lunor, seemed to be growing weaker and weaker with each passing day. The lunaros all turned to her for help, but even she was helpless.

"What seems to be troubling you, Your Highness?" Lunar's personal attendant questioned, taking a step forward.

"Cut the formality, Reya. We've known each other too long for that." Lunar snapped, turning around to face Reya. "And you ought to know what is troubling me." Reya nodded sympathetically and immediately left to let Lunar have some peace. Once outside, she swiftly ordered the royal guards not to allow anyone near Lunar's room. Lunar heard everything. Although she didn't show it, she was grateful towards Reya for her thoughtfulness.

Lunar got up from her seat by the window and walked over to her bed, but she didn't sit nor lie down on it. She merely stared at it, her mind thinking of the strange phenomenon. Just then, a flash of red jolted her out of her thoughts. Rushing to the window, she watched in silent fascination as a red star sped past…

Arkeson was bored. Very bored. He simply sat by the pool, kicking at the water and tossing stones aimlessly about. His trusty sword lay by his side.

"This is boring… I need some excitement in my life!" Arkeson wailed. Then, at the exact moment he finished his sentence, a shockwave slammed into him, sending him flying into the water with a scream. His sword went flying as well, and very nearly impaled him as Arkeson stood up, coughing.

"What the…" Arkeson said in surprise, grabbing his sword and running off in the direction of the shockwave. The town of Legna.

To say that Arkeson was horrified would have been an understatement. He stood frozen to the ground, his mouth hanging open in shock at the scene of destruction before him. The town had been totally annihilated. All that remained was a gigantic black and smoking crater in the ground, with patches of blood scattered all over the blackened landscape. Pieces of broken rock, doors, windows were strewn all about, and Arkeson could even see a few withered hands sticking out of the rubble. Arkeson collapsed, too overcome to say anything. He simply stared at his feet, his eyes filling with tears. He began to pound on the ground with his fist in anger, swearing to the heavens that he would hunt down the ones responsible.

He never noticed the shadow creeping up upon him…

Arkeson never knew what hit him as he slumped to the ground, unconscious.