Fan Fiction ❯ Endless Game ❯ Winter Blossoms ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
One afternoon in early December, Okada Shun sipped his tea as he quietly glanced across the table at his special guest. After a decade having not seen the young man, he truly believed the last words they parted with. He put his cup of tea down and said, "You haven't aged at all, Teijou-san." Even if they had not seen each other during those ten years, keeping in contact was vital for business, but would Teijou always look twenty?

The young man was about to respond, but the arrival of a woman changed the subject of the conversation. The woman appeared to be in her mid-twenties, wearing a dark-blue suit with a short skirt. She sat down next to Teijou Kakeru, her superior, and announced, "They're on their way here." Underneath her breath, she remarked, "Late as usual."

Okada chuckled, lightening up the somber mood, "It's perfectly fine with me. There are rumors that Teijou-san has a beautiful princess in his life. Meeting her would be a great honor." He noticed Kakeru turned his attention out the window again without saying a word while the woman stared directly ahead of her with blankness in her violet eyes. His face weaved into a puzzled expression, not understanding why they had reacted like they did.

"Minari," Kakeru finally spoke, "tell your father to hold off all appointments for a few days." The woman nodded and stood up, preparing to leave the table. He looked at Okada, "We might as well order." Okada didn't have much choice since Kakeru was his guest, and it was up to him. Minari left to make a phone call as well as request a waiter.


Endless Game

created & written by K-chan

Chapter One: Winter Blossoms


Three young men were hanging outside the mall since they had nothing better to do than harassing the shoppers walking by. Their targets were usually girls their age, but they weren't getting popular with them in a good way. Two of them joked around just as their leader ducked to the side and lit a cigarette. He stood hidden while he enjoyed his activity. He looked around until a pretty face caught his eyes. The girl had done some shopping and now seemed to be waiting for someone, but that didn't matter to him.

He immediately dropped his cigarette to the ground and stomped it out. He walked over to his two companions, gesturing them to follow him over to the girl. "Hey, beautiful. Waiting for me?" he greeted as his friends stood to one side. Surprised, she turned to the speaker and let out a small gasp. His smile widened as he stared at the girl's beautiful, green eyes.

"She's a babe!" said one of them.

The other nodded, adding, "You really know how to choose 'em!"

The leader moved closer to the girl, who tried to back away. "Aawe, she's scared," he teased. "Girls are so cute when they're afraid. How 'bout a date, sweetheart?"

"You're not my type," answered a masculine voice.

"Hotori-san!" the girl called, looking pass the three guys.

They turned around and saw a tall man wearing a formal suit. The leader frowned, warning, "Mind your own business!" Hotori calmly removed his glasses and placed them inside his jacket, not even fazed by the number of men against him. The three charged at him, but he smoothly avoided them. Hotori allowed the leader to slip by in front of him and then smashed his arm against the victim's back, sending him to the ground out cold. He took his glasses out and wore them again as if nothing had happened.

The girl flinched from seeing the violence and looked away. The people around them paused in shock, but they didn't gather into a big crowd, afraid of getting involved or injured. The two lackies stopped and slowly stepped back with their legs trembling from what happened to their friend. He stared at them until they ran off. He then walked over to the girl and asked, "Are you all right, Kagami-san?"

She nodded. "But what about him?" she inquired, pointing to the unconscious body.

Hotori pulled out a cell phone from his jacket and made a quick call to the police, explaining the situation. When he finished, he took the shopping bags from Kagami's hands and escorted her down the street through the slightly frightened spectators.

Periodically, Kagami would glance up at the tall man, wondering how a sweet, caring guy could just hit someone like that. Even if he didn't look at her, he could sense what she was thinking. "Talking to people like those three would not have solved the problem." They came to a stop in front of a white Lexus, where the chauffer climbed out to greet them. As the chauffer put the shopping bags into the trunk, Hotori looked at her and said, "Kakeru-san is having lunch with the vice president of Okada Corporations. He has requested that you join them."

Kagami only nodded, and he opened the car door, letting her in first. The chauffer passed by him as he told him their destination and got in.


A man in his late forties picked up the ringing phone, not surprised from the caller. "I see. A special meeting with the Seigawas, is it?" He became silent, twirling the ends of his dark moustache. "I'm sure they won't decline." Before he hung up, he said, "And Minari, I'll be in the office for two more hours tonight--don't wait up." He clicked the line to end and resetted it to make another call.

He waited for a few rings until a female voice answered. "Yes, I would like to speak to Seigawa Takehiko-san," he requested. "Yes, that would be fine. This is Akimoto Honaru from Minamoto & Associates. On behalf of Teijou Kakeru-san, I invite the Seigawa family to Nanryuu Teahouse, Saturday evening at seven o'clock. Thank you." He placed the reciever down and returned to the documents on his desk.


Hotori walked through the restaurant entrance with Kagami wrapping her overcoat tightly around her body. The weather seemed to be getting colder by the hour. One moment her sweater suited her, and the next she had to clothe herself in layers. She realized it was warmer inside, so she loosened her coat a bit. Her eyes wandered around the place, noticing the French mood of the restaurant.

The host greeted them, and Hotori said, "We are with Okada-san." The man nodded and called a waiter to take him upstairs. Before Hotori put his foot on the first step, he stopped and looked back, seeing Kagami still immersed in the setting. "Kagami-san."

"Aah, yes!" she replied and walked to him. Hotori waited until she stood beside him. He gazed down at her with gentle eyes. His hands came up to her shoulders and loosened the scarf around her neck. She was slightly surprised, but she knew well he was a caring person. "Thank you, Hotori-san," she smiled.

"We are waiting," Minari informed the two as Hotori quickly pulled away from Kagami. The woman's figure welcomed them to the top floor as she gestured towards the far set of tables at the end. Kagami walked ahead while Minari gave the young man a neutral look.

"It's been over ten years, hasn't it, onii-san?" she said, shifting her eyes after Kagami. "Why couldn't we live in those years again? Why did things have to change? Weren't we all happy then? Why?" Minari looked up at her big brother, feeling the past painfully slipping away, "You want the old days as much as I do."

Hotori adjusted his glasses without looking at her. "This was unavoidable." Minari sighed as she watched her brother head for their table.


Okada looked up as a young girl came to the table. He stood up and smiled, "You must be Akimoto Kagami-san." She nodded and bowed. Hotori walked up behind Kagami and gently placed his hands on her shoulders. He waited until she completely unbuttoned her coat and took it from her body. "Please have a seat," Okada said, indicating the one next to Kakeru.

"Thank you." Kagami sat down and acknowledged the man next to her, "Kakeru-san." He only gave her a nod, which pained her, but she didn't let it show. She noticed Hotori had left the scene and Minari wasn't there either. A waiter came to the table with her meal. Okada and Kakeru already had their plates in front of them.

"I apologize that we ordered ahead," Okada said to her. "Please eat as much as you like. It's an honor to meet you, Kagami-san. Kakeru-san rarely speak of his life and the people in it." Kagami listened to the man, but at times, she would steal small glances at Kakeru. The expression on his face had been no different since she arrived. She had been with him for so long, so why was it like this? Why did things change so much?


That evening, Kaoru came downstairs after her long, relaxing bath. Her body was wrapped in a floral, yellow bathrobe, and her aged hair was twisted into a bun. She was about to head to the kitchen when the front door opened. Her husband entered the house with another woman. Kaoru welcomed the two home, kissing her husband on the cheek.

The woman closed the door and turned to the lady of the house. She had short, dark-drown hair with her bangs bleached blonde. She wore a black suit over a pink blouse. "Kaoru-sama," she acknowledged.

"Thank you, Nana." Kaoru focused her attention on the man, "You must be tired, sweetheart. A bath is already prepared for you." He smiled and kissed his wife. She always knew what he wanted.

"Kaoru-sama," Nana started, "Before both of you retire, there is something I must inform you now." The couple turned to their closest companion. "A message was given to me from Akimoto Honaru. He works for Teijou Kakeru." The two were silent with stunned expressions. Kaoru's mouth gaped open as if she was about to collapse from the shock. Her husband held his wife, looking seriously at Nana.

"Teijou has returned," he said, quietly. "What was the message?"

Kaoru pushed away from her husband towards Nana. She asked, urgently, "WHERE'S KAGAMI?!! WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?!" Takehiko tried to calm her down, so she could let Nana explain.

Nana understood her mistress's pain, but she could only tell them what was given to her. "It was only an invitation to dinner." Kaoru fell to the floor, crying her daughter's name. "Kaoru-sama," she whispered, staring down at the weeping mother.


It was already eleven o'clock, but Kakeru was still awake in his study. His sight was on the folders and documents he had to read and sign, but his mind was on something else--more specifically someone else. Sighing, he dropped his head into his hands. He had to give her up now, before things got too deep. She had to go, but in his heart, he knew she wasn't ready.

At the sudden realization, he stood up and headed out the room. He walked down the hall, knowing everyone in the house was already in bed. Only a few lights were on, waiting for someone. He stopped at the bottom of the staircase and glanced at the grandfather clock. It was nine minutes pass eleven now. He continued up the stairs and turned right at the top of the stairs to another hallway. His pace slowed down as he came near the end, seeing a faint light shining through the bottom of a bedroom door.

Kakeru stood outside the lit bedroom, leaning aginst the opposite wall, near his own bedroom door. He waited silently, staring at the ceiling, until the lights in the room disappeared. "Kagami," he whispered, remembering the winter days he spent with her. It happened about six years ago...


Kakeru was in his room, getting dressed for a day of business meetings. He was adjusting his tie when he heard voices from a few doors down the hall. He left the room, still getting his tie in place, and peeked into the room where the housemaid was in. "Is something wrong?" he asked.

The maid set a tray down on the bedside table and turned to Kakeru. "Teijou-san," she bowed. "Kagami-san refuses to take her medicine."

Kakeru walked over to Kagami's bedside to find the eleven-year-old girl hiding beneath the covers. He sat down at the edge of her bed and tried to pull the covers aside to see her face, but she turned away. "Kagami," he called in a gentle voice, "You have to take your medicine if you want to get better."

Kagami turned around to him, showing her pale, pouty face. Her dark hair curled around her face, making her look beautiful even in her ill state. "But it's really bitter. 'Mama' always makes it sweet, but she's not here." She hugged her pillow, staring towards the windows. "Papa's not home. Even Hotori-chan and Minari-chan aren't here," she said, quietly.

Kakeru gestured the maid to leave, so she did. When he looked back at Kagami, she was staring at him. She then told him, "Kakeru-san, you shouldn't stay here either or else you'll get sick too." He didn't say anything but just sat by her side, gazing into her green eyes. She shyly pulled the covers up to her chin, looking away. "I'll be good and drink it."

She sat up quickly and reached for the small medicine cup. Crinkling her nose at the expected bitter taste, she gulped it down and dived right back beneath the covers, letting her back face him. Kakeru couldn't help but smile. Kagami knew he was still there, so she closed her eyes, pretending to drift to sleep. He continued to sit there, gazing at her serene form.

Later that afternoon, Kakeru was on the phone in his home office, "They can have the meetings without me. It doesn't matter what they think. Just because I'm not present doesn't mean the company will plummet." He paused with a sigh as he picked up a pen and started writing.

"That's fine if they want to reschedule, but I'm taking off for a few days." He threw the pen aside and leaned back in his seat, "I've read the reports, and everything looks fine." He decided to stand up and walk around the room, knowing now he wasn't going to hang up so easily.

Outside the room, a pair of eyes peeked through the ajar door, unnoticed by the occupant. Kagami closed the door softly and pulled away. She wrapped her robes around her body tightly, feeling the cold air seep through to her nightgown. She smiled slightly and went back upstairs, just passing by the maid who paused to watch her quietly. The woman glanced towards Kakeru's office and then back at the girl.

About fifteen minutes later, Kakeru went upstairs to check on Kagami, who was fast asleep. He walked to the foot of her bed and stared at the sleeping beauty. With Honaru away on business, his wife on a family visit, and their children overseas at college, Kagami was quite lonely in the big, empty house. It didn't help that she came down with a cold either.

The maid could've taken good care of her, but it was the loneliness Kakeru didn't want to leave the girl with. He cared for her enough to stay home and be there for her, but there was something more in his heart. He did everything to push those emotions away because he never wanted to experience them again. He swore he would never love again, but being this close to her, it was hard not to.

He watched Kagami turn restlessly in bed, thinking it might be a bad dream. "Kakeru-san," she whispered still in her dreams, which surprised him. "Kakeru-san... Please... don't leave," she cried softly, "Please..." He went over to her bedside and knelt down to her. He saw a tear trickling down her face and gently wiped it away.

He sighed and dropped his head onto the bed, speaking quietly as if gently letting her down, "It can't happen..."


It was the first time alone with her, realizing what those feelings were for so many years. She had grown up into a beautiful, young woman, but he still wouldn't let anything happen between them. Kakeru leaned his head forward and sighed. He put his hands in his pockets and decided to go downstairs again. As he walked to the end of the hall, he heard the front door open. He stopped and looked down to see Honaru shaking the dirt off his shoes. "Akimoto-san," Kakeru started, "you're overworking yourself again."

The man looked up and chuckled quietly. "It's quite natural for me, Kakeru-sama." He took off his jacket and laid it and his briefcase aside.

Kakeru's smile could faintly be seen in the dimness as he walked down the stairway. "Please join me for a drink." Honaru paused as he watched the young man pass by him and headed towards the study. It seemed something was troubling him again. Seeing that Kakeru just came from upstairs, he knew who the problem involved. Ever since Honaru's teenaged years, he had known Kakeru to be a quiet person, not one to express his deep feelings to anyone. But when Kagami entered all of their lives, things began to change. Honaru could see the effects of the girl's presence on Kakeru.

Honaru followed Kakeru into the study and took a comfortable seat on the leather couch. He loosened his tie as Kakeru brought their usual drinks to the coffee table. He began to inform his boss of the result of the phone call he made, "Takehiko has probably returned from his trip now. I left the message with his secretary." Kakeru only nodded and sipped his drink.

Honaru glanced at his drink and then put it down on the table. He leaned forward with his elbows on his knee and asked, "Are you going to let it all go like that?"

Kakeru closed his eyes, not wanting to think about it, but there was no avoidance of it. "I don't know. I don't know what to think. I've lived for so long. I've searched for so long..." He leaned his head back against the lounge chair and opened his eyes, staring at the high ceiling. "And when I found that person--the one who could end my eternal misery--nothing was going to stop me..."

"But something did," Honaru pointed out. "That very person stopped you." He started to explain, "You've done so much for the Akimoto family, and we'll always be indebt to you. But we don't see it as a debt--it's been more of an honor to serve you through the many generations of the family name." Kakeru quietly listened to the words of his old companion. "You were blessed with immortality, but don't you see, in the end you're only human. And being human, you have to realize how you feel about her."

Kakeru looked away, changing the subject, "You were there when the doctor announced her condition. She only has a couple of years left. I can't let that happen when I know there's a way she could stay alive. She has so much ahead in her future--"

Honaru cut him off, trying to remain calm, "You would allow the one you love to experience your pain of living forever? Kagami has lots of potential, and there is a possiblity for her to defeat you, but how will she deal with an endless life?"

Kakeru stood up, not wanting to think about all the questions he asked himself many times. Kagami may live, but the price of that may be too much for her. When he met her the first time beneath that tree, he started doing everything for himself, not considering how she felt about it.

"It's not my place to say this, but are you satisfied in knowing that you've been using her like an object?" Honaru question his master's conscience.

That was what he considered her in the beginning, but now that thought was changing in his heart. She meant more to him now--so much that he would give up his own life for her. His life would have to end if she was to live longer. Kakeru didn't turn to face Honaru but said to him, "Just think of my actions as selfishness."


TO BE CONTINUED... Chapter Two: Dreams Among Strangers