Fan Fiction ❯ Espoir ❯ Mind of the Past ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Espoir
 
Summary: As Earth enters it's final stage of existance, humanity attempts one last stance to save themselves. An experiement that had been studied since the beginning of Earth's destruction is put into action. Project Espoir 1 has begun...
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Genre: Drama, Action, Post-Apocalyptic.
 
Chapter Ten
Mind of the Past
 
What were the events that led to Project Espoir 01?
A look into the life of Pierre LeFluer.
 
Summer 1982
 
The sun shone brightly in the blue sky as students rushed to their afternoon classes. The campus bustled with activity as university students jogged to their classes, chatting idling amongst themselves as they did so.
 
Louise Pasteault sat in a daze, looking out the window as students rushed to their classes. He sighed and grinned, remembering his lively days as a college student. He'd made it through school relatively easy, majoring in Genetics. He'd been out for nearly ten years now and was relatively happy with his life. Thirty-four years old with a wife and a little boy on the way. Like wasn't too bad at all.
 
Now, Louise sat in confusion in the office of his long time friend and mentor Donald Winters, wondering why he was there.
 
About a week ago, Donald had given him a call and asked him to come into his office to discuss something. Don was about sixteen years older than he was and had been one of his intructors in college. He still taught at that same university and Louise had heard little from him in the ten years he'd been graduated.
 
With a sigh, Louise leaned back and looked to the door as it flew open and in waltzed Don Winters. A big smile stood out on his bearded face as he looked at his old friend.
 
"Louise." Donald said with a grin, "I'm glad you came."
 
Louise stood and made his way to his friend. They shook hands hard and Louise chuckled, "Couldn't ignore the call of my old friend, now could I?"
 
It had been Don's first year as a intructor when Louise was a freshman. Don had just recently moved from the United States and was more than a little nervous about teaching in France. Louise had been in his first ever class.
 
"But I'm a little confused." Louise said, crossing his arms over his suited chest. "Why am I here, Donald?"
 
The older male nodded and motioned for him to have a seat as Don sat himself behind his desk. He cleared his throat, "I've recently been contacted by an old friend of mine. He had a proposition for me that I find rather enticing."
 
"What is that?"
 
"He wants to send out a study expedition to the largest crater caused by the meteor shower a few days ago."
 
Louise thought a moment, "The one in Mexico?"
 
"That's the one." Donald said, still smiling. "This friend of mine said that he wanted two partners in the study but didn't want to rely on students. He asked me to contact someone I thought would be helpful in the journey."
 
"And that person is..."
 
"My most prized student." Don said, "Louise, what do ya say?"
 
Louise thought a moment. A expedition to one of the sites of the meteor shower certaintly would be interesting. They had been cleared for study only two days ago and scientists were gathering from around the glove to study the sites. The one in Mexico was the largest but had so far been relativly untouched. Louise could only imagine the things worth finding in one of the craters.
 
"When do we leave?" Louise asked.
 
Don smirked, "We are scheduled to depart within two days tops."
 
"And the length?"
 
"I've been told it would take at most two weeks."
 
Nodding slowly, Louise noted that his wife would be off visiting her parents for at least a week of that. There was no way he could give up such a opportunity. It would be insane.
 
Louise smiled, "You can count me in."
 
Donald laughed and stood, "Just what I wanted to hear! Let's have a drink then you can head off to prepare for the expedition." Don reached under his table and withdrew a bottle of scotch.
 
Louise smiled but then came up with a quick question, "Before we drink, Don. I'd like to ask. Who is this friend who is arranging this expedition?"
 
Don nodded slowly, "A old friend from my early years as a scientists. You may have heard of him." He began pouring. "Pierre LeFluer."
 
espoir
 
The car rolled slowly down the busy city street of Paris. Louise yawned a bit as he glanced at the clock. He was supposed to meet with Don in a few minutes so they could catch their plane.
 
The traffic was heavy, causing Louise to grow angry. He tried to redirect his thoughts and tried to concentrate on the upcoming expedition he would be taking part in.
 
His thoughts quickly drifted to their 'team leader' Pierre LeFluer. Louise had only heard of the man once. He had recently written a paper on how he thought 'emotional distress' gave a positive impact on a human being's physical and mental performance. The paper seemed to just be all of LeFluer's notes thrown into one unorganized load and was highly discredited.
 
It was a understatement to say that Louise was a bit nervous about setting out on a trip with such a unrenowned man as Pierre LeFluer. Who wouldn't be?
 
Louise sighed. He would just have to trust the judgement of his friend. Don seemed to beleive that LeFluer was a brilliant man and could do great things with a expedition such as this. On that note, Louise vowed to trust LeFluer until proven otherwise.
 
The traffic eased up a bit and Louise was able to pull his car into Donald's small driveway. He sighed as he turned off the igniton and stepped out onto the hot pavement. His one suitcase was easy to get out of the backseat and Louise made his way to the front door.
 
The door was ajar and Louise shouted Don's name. He smirked as he saw his older friend head down the stairs and make his way for the door. A suitcase about the same size as Louise's was in his hand.
 
"Afternoon." Donald said as he shut the door behind him, "I just got a call from Pierre. He's awaiting our arrival at the airport."
 
Louise nodded and turned around. He smiled as he noticed the yellow taxi cab pulling into the drive-way. That was Donald Winters, always prepared. The driver popped the trunk open and the two men laid their luggage inside before setting down in the backseat of the cab.
 
"All preparations are ready then?"
 
"Of course." Don said with a laugh, "We'll be sweating in no time. It's unbeleivably hot in Mexico this time of year, you know."
 
Louise nodded. The weather right now was just perfect, it would take him awhile to get used to it being swealtering hot. He cleared his throat, "So, how do you know this LeFluer guy anyway?"
 
"We met shortly after I graduated back in the States, at some convention." He shurgged, "I was debating the basics of Darwin's studies when Pierre entered the conversation. I was intrigued by how much he knew right off the top of his head and with what passion he spoke. We ended up spending some time together and have been friends ever since." He chuckled, "Some could say it was scientific love at first sight."
 
Louise chuckled as well. "How is he paying for this expedition?"
 
"He has various doners." Don said, "His alma mater is chipping in, as well as myself."
 
"You?" Louise said, surprised. "Why would you invest in such a unpredictable expedition?"
 
Donald sighed, "It takes faith, my friend. I have faith in Pierre LeFluer that he will do great things for our Earth in the future and this expedition may be the first stepping stone to that." He thought a moment, "You'll know what I mean when you meet him... He has a certain... quality."
 
The rest of the ride to the airport was swallowed up in silence. When they arrived, Donald paid the driver and they gathered their luggage. Louise follow the older man into the airport and made his way to a gate. He stood and look about the area, "Now where could he be...?"
 
They looked around for a moment before Louise heard a voice from behind and spun around. Standing behind the two of them was a somewhat short man with shaggy black hair. His skin was dark and he wore a white suit with a loose black tie. His eyes were the thing that caused Louise to stare the most. They were gray and seemed completely distant. As if he wasn't even in the same world as the two of them.
 
Don stepped forward, "Ah, Pierre. It's good to see you."
 
"I can say the same for you, Donald." Pierre LeFluer said, "The plane is ready. All the equipment is waiting for us at the site."
 
"Very good. Let me introduce you to our partner." Don looked back at Louise, "This is Louise Pasteault."
 
No hands were exchanged but LeFluer nodded his way, "Donald told me you were very worthy of coming with us on this little trip."
 
"I hope so." Louise said with a smile.
 
LeFluer nodded and looked back at Donald, "If you two are ready, then we can board and be on our way."
 
Donald nodded and motioned for Louise to follow as they stepped through the gate and boarded the small plane that would take them to Mexico and into the largest crash site of the soon-to-be-named Maher Meteor Shower.
 
espoir
 
The days were scortching but the nights weren't so bad. As the sun lowered over the horizon, the temperature lowered to something much more comfortable. They'd been in the desert for nearly a week, making daily trips to the crash site and so far, Louise wasn't too impressed.
 
The meteor was still pretty much intact. There was very little noticable radiation emitting from the site and Louise had done just about all he could in studying the type of rock. They'd already decided that the meteor was a fragment of a destroyed moon probably. Nothing too spectacular.
 
However, that didn't stop Pierre LeFluer. He worked alone mostly, studying the rock or the radiation or just scurrying around the crash site as if it was the most interesting thing he'd ever seen. Everytime Louise tried speaking with the 48-year old LeFluer about what he was finding, he simply muttered something about 'incomplete data' or something.
 
Donald seemed to be just as stumped over his friend's actions as well. He watched the younger man work, shaking his head at times and muttering things under his breath. Louise had asked Don about LeFluer once but had only gotten a even stranger answer.
 
"He does everything for a reason. Somewhere in that scrambled, unorganized mind of his, Pierre knows something more about this rock than he wants to tell."
 
What was there to know?
 
It all started after their first day trip. Louise had been working on the outer shell of the rock, trying to decipher the type it was while LeFluer had gone straight to the center. They'd finished the expedition quickly but LeFluer had stayed behind for awhile. Every time after that, LeFluer was completely enticed by the meteor and never tired of it.
 
Louise wiped his sweaty forhead and sighed. It was nearing four o'clock and was well past time for them to head home and eat. Louise gathered his things and made his way for the truck. Don had already packed up and was waiting in the driver's seat. The two had to wait a few minutes for LeFluer to wrap up and join them.
 
Don coughed a bit, "Find anything anyone?"
 
"Same old stuff." Louise said, trying to glance at LeFluer's scrambled notes.
 
The man moved the notes to his side and shrugged, "Same here."
 
Incomplete data?
 
The ride back was long and hot. Of course, they got a truck that had no air conditioning and couldn't go fast enough to generate a breeze thorugh the windows. When they got out, they were each soaking wet with their own sweat.
 
Their meal was the usual. Some microwaved meal that tasted nothing like what Louise's wife could make. The rest of the day went by rather quickly.
 
The three men sat around in the small living room of their rented house/lab. A fan was going, it was the coolest breeze they'd gotten all week.
 
"So, Pierre." Donald spoke up. "How's Eve doing?"
 
"Pregnant." LeFluer answered quickly.
 
"Really? Well, congradulations!" Donald laughed and leaned back, "Boy, I remember when you two first met."
 
"As do I."
 
Louise spoke, "I don't."
 
Don laughed, "Well, I told you about how Pierre and I met. Well, that same week we met this young girl from Ohio. Eve Spencer." He smiled under his gray beard, "Pierre and Eve were never apart."
 
"We married a few years ago." Pierre said, leaning his head back.
 
"She was a scientist as well?"
 
"Of course." Don laughed loudly, "Who else could you picture Pierre with?"
 
"She was a scientists but is no more." He said frowning, "Said she wanted to be a traditional wife and refuses to leave the home."
 
Louise thought a moment, "I remember you writing something on marriage in your paper."
 
Pierre smirked lightly, "That it's a aesthetic feature, completely unmanditory in life and nothing more than a agreement? Yes, I wrote that."
 
"Wasn't your paper on the effects of negative emotions?" Donald asked, wiping his glasses.
 
Pierre shrugged, "I added a bit more than just that. One of the many reasons it was so discredited."
 
"When is the baby due?" Questioned Don.
 
"Soon." Pierre said, "We hope, at least."
 
Donald ran off to grab some wine to celebrate and Pierre leaned back and crossed his arms as he fell into deep thought.
 
The celebration was nothing but a glass of wine for each then everything died down. Night crept over the land and everyone made their way to their room for sleep. The night continued and Louise could hear Donald's long, loud snores coming from the room next to his. Pain grew in Louise's throat and he made his way to the kitchen to get a glass of water when he heard whispering.
 
The source of the sound was obviously LeFluer's room. A bright light shone from a crack in the door. Not denying his curiosity, Louise made his way to the door and stood outside, trying to listen to LeFluer.
 
"The... Judgement of Man..." LeFluer said quietly, "Judgement of Man... The Judgement..."
 
Louise heard the ground creak and quickly ducked behind a corner as LeFluer stepped out and made his way outside, a cigar clasped in his hand. Every night LeFluer would go out and smoke and he would walk far off into the desert to do so. After a few moments of waiting, Louise rushed into LeFluer's room.
 
Sitting on a small rest was a large pile of stones. Stones from the crash site. Louise looked over the stones and noted something on the rocks. It was brief and hard to tell but it was quite obvious that there was writing on the stones. It appeared to be written in Hebrew or something like that.
 
Louise continued his inspection and found a piece of paper with writing scribbled all over it. It was difficult to read but Louise could make out a few words.
 
Chosen by the Being. The Redeemed Destruction. Final Decision. Judgement of Man. Extinction. Chosen. Chosen. Time to be Chosen.
 
Louise leaned back and shook his head. It was impossible to read. He continued searching, not even considering that he was going through LeFluer's things. He found a small book and cycled through the pages. Like the paper, the book was written in LeFluer's scrambled handwriting. Louise could make out various referenced to Extended Existence and Near Immortality. He gave up eventually and laid the book down.
 
What was it that LeFluer was so interested in? Sighing, Louise left the room. Moments later, he heard the front door close as LeFluer made his way back into his room.
 
The rest of the expedition continued without much surprise. They went home with very little discovery, nothing special other than stuff that had already been found out. Louise Pasteault would go back to his wife and kid, living happily and quietly until years later when his peace would once again be interuppted.
 
espoir
 
Summer 1989
 
The day was bright. There was no sound in the country other than the sound of birds and of the small car traveling down the street. It went a few miles down the empty road before turning into the small drive-way of a medium-sized home. The car shut off and out stepped a small man with a long white beard. He grunted a bit and made his way towards the door and knocked.
 
The door opened and the white-haired man smiled, "Hello, Pierre."
 
"Donald." Pierre LeFluer nodded and allowed him to enter. Seven years had done quite a bit to LeFluer. His black hair had streaked white and his dark skin had grown somewhat wrinkled. Don Winters on the other hand looked no different than before. If anything, his beard had grown longer and he wore his glasses more often.
 
"The house looks great." Don said, looking around the living room.
 
"I try to keep it just as tidy as before." Pierre said, crossing his arms. "Things shouldn't change just because of one unfortunate incident."
 
Don looked at his friend as he turned away and shook his head. One would think the death of someone's wife would have more of an effect but Pierre LeFluer seemed to take the whole thing in stride.
 
"Want anything to drink?"
 
"Water, please." Donald said as he sat down on the couch and yawned. "I'm sorry I didn't make it to the funeral, by the way."
 
"It's no problem." LeFluer said as he returned with a glass of water, "It was a small ceremony."
 
"It was a shock, huh?" Don said, shaking his head. "You have no idea why she would..."
 
"No clue." Pierre said, "I see no reason for Eve to kill herself."
 
He said it with such casualty that one would think they were talking about the weather. How could Pierre take his wife jumping out the window of a skyscraper so easily?
 
"How's everything going with you, Don?"
 
"I can't complain." He said with a shrug, "Still teaching at the University, of course." He smiled, "And you? I heard you published another paper."
 
"Nothing to be excited about. It was just as discredited as the last." Pierre stood, "My Analysis on the Ego of Frued is apparently quite 'off' than most people like."
 
Don shook his head slowly and heard a soft sound. He frowned and stood. Sitting in a small, wooden cradle was a small child. It couldn't have been more than three years old and cooed softly at the sight of Donald.
 
Pierre rejoined his friend, "I don't think you've been introduced." He said, "This is Rene-Henri LeFluer, my child."
 
Don nodded with a grin, "He looks just like Eve." He smiled, "How old is he?"
 
"Three and a half." Pierre said and took a seat in a recliner.
 
Three and a half? But Eve had delivered the child nearly seven years ago...
 
Don sat down with a puzzled look on his face, "How many children do you have?"
 
"Just the one. Rene-Henri."
 
The room grew quiet as Donald began to ponder the situation. If this truely was Pierre's child, it would have to be at least six. There was no way he was only three years old.
 
Then, it hit him.
 
"Pierre." He began, "Did you ever finish that Limbo Project you were working on?"
 
LeFluer stared at his old friend for a long while then smiled, "Just a prototype."
 
"Did you drop the project?"
 
"The Limbo Project proved to be only partially successful. The carrier did not achieve 'immortality' but did atain a sort of extended existance."
 
Donald frowned, "Extended existance?"
 
"The carrier would age much slower."
 
The room grew quiet for a moment before Donald spoke up, "Pierre... you wouldn't?"
 
"Wouldn't what?"
 
"Did you..." He swallowed, "Use your child as a test subject for the Limbo Project?"
 
"I did."
 
He said it just as he spoke of his late wife. It infuriated Donald, "How could you do something like that? You said it yourself years ago that the drug may cause various phsychological problems."
 
"I'm unsure of that." He said as he took a sip of his drink, "It will be quite awhile until I know that for sure."
 
"You would risk the wellness of your child for..."
 
"For the good of mankind." Pierre said strongly, "Science is the thing that saved our race from complete extinction. It is the only thing humanity has on it's side. I am a scientist thus it is my job to go to all odds to aid in the advancement of science." He frowned, "You should too."
 
"Pierre, you cannot be serious." Don said, leaning forward, "You actually injected that stuff into your child?" Pierre nodded slowly, "Your a mad man..."
 
Pierre sighed and shook his head, "In due time, mankind will learn of the importance of sacrificial science."
 
"What is wrong with you, Pierre? What are you talking about?"
 
"Years ago, Donald, I learned of the future of our planet."
 
"The future?" Donald said, leaning back. "What are you..."
 
"In Mexico, I discovered more than I let on." He paused, "The meteors that crashed into our planet years ago were more than just rocks. They were remains of a destroyed planet."
 
"Destroyed?"
 
"Yes, completely annihilated. By what, you ask? Well, I wondered the same thing before I found a mysterious little object. It was a rather large bunch of stones with things written in Hebrew on it. It took forever to translate the thing completely but when I did, I learned something no man could ever know." He paused once more and took a sip of his drink. "The thing that destroyed that planet is something... unnatural. I'm not saying something as unreasonable as 'aliens' but something more... spiritual. The rock told of a species that destroys worlds once they reach a certain point in time. They simply travel the galaxy and wipe out these life forms that have reached a point in their existance when they are... unwanted."
 
"Who decides this?"
 
"I haven't a clue. These... judges seem to be guided by something but I have no idea what." He thought a moment, "All I know is that we are on that list of 'chosen' planets."
 
Don leaned back in his seat, his eyes wide. "Us...?"
 
"Yes. It seems humanity has reached this point where someone doesn't want us to exist anymore. Our sins seem to finally be catching up with us."
 
"How is injecting something into your son going to help?"
 
Pierre smirked, "You expect us just to sit along and accept our fate? No, when I studied the meteor more closely, I found a strange sort of radiation emitting from it. This radiation seems to have been caused by the judges that want us destroyed. Upon further inspection, I learned that this radiation will only effect newborn children and even this will be very rare. I purposely moved Eve and myself closer to the crash site in order to cause Rene-Henri to get infected. This worked and I injected the serum so that he will age slower and will have a better chance of being young when these monsers attack."
 
"But how can they help?"
 
"I've been studying this radiation for the past seven years and have found that if the defect that it causes is put together with a certain amount of energy, it will manifest and give the carrier abilitys similar to that of the invaders." He smirked slowly, "In a way, we are using their own weapon against them."
 
Donald stared at his friend in pure shock. The whole story seemed like something out of a science fiction novel. There was no way it could be true, no way in hell. He shook his head and leaned forward. "Pierre, your insane."
 
"I've told you the whole story, Don." The man stood, hands in his pockets. "Everything must be a secret, my friend. There is no way the public would take my tale as truth and would most definately not allow me to continue my research especially if they learn of my experiments on Rene-Henri. I must know, Donald, are you with me?"
 
"With you?" Don asked, looking up at his old friend. "You mean you want me to jump onboard with this whole insane alien thing? You want me to say it's okay for you to run tests on children all for something that is probably completely untrue?"
 
Pierre frowned, "If your not with me, Don. Your against me."
 
"Then I sure as hell am against you, Pierre." He raised his voice, "I cannot just sit by and allow you to do what your doing."
 
"That dissapoints me, my friend." That is about the time Pierre removed the gun from his pocket. "You've been a good friend but I cannot allow you to get in the way of destiny."
 
No one heard the gunshot out in the country. The death was said to have been caused during a mugging. The killers were never caught. Donald Winters funeral had a large showing with speeches given from some of the biggest names in science, as well as some small ones. The speech given by Pierre LeFluer was short and chilling but most forgot it quickly. Louise Pasteault spoke with LeFluer after the ceremony and was surprised by LeFluer's rather casual attitude about the death. He never saw Pierre LeFluer again afterwards.
 
espoir
 
Roman Evans.
 
Pierre LeFluer first came in contact with the young scholar while attending a lecture in Paris. A young, arrogant male who had high hopes for his career, LeFluer had tried his best to ignore the boy at first but he didn't give up easily.
 
LeFluer had the luck of being seated next to the young man in the auditorium, who pelted the older male with various questions on his beleifs. LeFluer was more than surprised to hear of Evans' readings of all of LeFluer's research papers and was even more surpised to see that he agreed with him on various subjects.
 
It would be an understatement to say that LeFluer was reluctant to sit with the boy at the dinner after the lecture. This time it was Evans' turn to speak. LeFluer was once again surprised by the young man's knowledge of science and philosophy. As time went by, LeFluer grew more and more trusting of the young man.
 
Their second meeting came when LeFluer learned that Evans was taking another class in Paris. There was something about Roman Evans that LeFluer liked. It had something to do with his passion and how he spoke of his beleifs and understandings. In a way, Roman Evans was an exact copy of Pierre LeFluer at that age.
 
That was why LeFluer intercepted Evans on his way to a taxi after the class was over. They spoke for a short while before LeFluer invited Evans to his home for a drink. He took the offer happily.
 
"It would be a honor." Roman Evans said as he stepped into the taxi cab alongside Pierre LeFluer.
 
The drive to LeFluer's country home took only a few minutes. They got inside and Evans took a seat in the living room. He sat for a few minutes in the darkened room and didn't notice the young boy sitting across from him.
 
Roman jumped when he noticed him, "Whoa, scared me there." He said, chuckling at the boy. He had dark hair and sat in a recliner, a book sat on his lap. LeFluer clicked on the lights as he came in.
 
"Ah, I see you've met my son." He said, handing Evans his drink.
 
"Your son?" Roman was more than surprised at the statement. Pierre LeFluer had to be at least in his early sixtys and the boy in the room couldn't be more than ten. "We haven't been introduced."
 
"This is Rene-Henri." Pierre said as he took his seat.
 
"A pleasure to meet you. Roman Evans." He looked at the book in the boy's lap, "What's that?"
 
The boy looked up and spoke in a tone that was barely audible. "The Sickness Unto Death."
 
"By Soren Kierkegaard?" Evans said in surprise. "Quite a read for a boy."
 
"Rene-Henri is much more intelligent than you give credit." Pierre said with a smile. "Boys these age all are."
 
Roman nodded slowly and leaned back, "You have a wonderful home, Mr. LeFluer."
 
"Thank you. I try my best." He smiled slowly.
 
Evans looks around the room, "You have quite a few pictures."
 
"All of expeditions." LeFluer said as he cracked his knuckles, "I've been on quite a few."
 
"I can imagine." He said with enthusiasm. "Any big ones?"
 
"Nothing huge but there was one that I see as pretty big." He cleared his throat, "Do you remember the Maher Meteor Shower, son?"
 
"Why, yes, sir." Evans said, "That was nearly ten years ago. It's hard to remember, I was only fourteen at the time."
 
"I took a small group with me to study one of the crash sites. I have to say, it was one of the highlights of my scientific carrer, if I might say so myself."
 
The younger man nodded slowly and watched his mentor, "I heard there were very few valuable discoveries there."
 
LeFluer chuckled and took a drink, "For most, that is true but I am not most. The others simply were not looking in the right place or in the correct manner. I beleive my findings were some of the most important ones in the world's history, to tell the truth."
 
"I've never heard of anything important."
 
"That's because I have not released the information."
 
Evans looked at the older scientist in confusion. Why someone would not release a finding so important was beyond him.
 
LeFluer sensed his visitor's confusion and continued, "The information I found would seem unbeleivable, even mythical, to the regular mind. My actions because of it would also seem unreasonable and I would probably be forced to end my work."
 
The young man leaned forward in fascination, "What is the finding?"
 
"It is something that will surely impact each and every person on this planet. Something that cannot be undealt with or it will result in humanity's utter destruction. What I have discovered, is The Judges."
 
LeFluer went into a lengthy, detailed description of the strange race he called 'The Judges.' Roman Evans sat back and listened to each word, listening in complete fascination to the man that had impacted him so in such a short amount of time. Afterwards, all Evans could do was nod slowly and watch as his mentor stood and walked towards him.
 
"I told you all this because I have a feeling about you, Roman." LeFluer began as he placed his hands in his pockets. "I hope I am right in telling all this to you and I am ready to act on this feeling and ask you to come onto the project as my assitance and friend."
 
Roman looked up, eyes wide. "Sir... are you serious?" He asked in shock. "Me? Come on as your assitant?"
 
LeFluer nodded, "I need help if I want to make this project successful. It's success will determine the life of all of humanity."
 
The young man leaned back and looked past Pierre. He pondered the question for many moments before he looked up and grinned. "I accept."
 
Pierre LeFluer nodded at his friend's answer. He had only trusted one other man with the knowledge once before and that man now lay dead because of his response to the question. LeFluer had a strange feeling about Roman Evans. As if he was the missing piece in the puzzle and would see the project out to the very end.
 
LeFluer and Evans shared in a toast to the project. The two spoke late into the night of the task they were taking on. They decided on a plan to begin the project and much light was filled on the situation for Roman Evans. Eventually, they closed the night with the naming of their new project. They would call it Project Sauveur.
 
espoir
 
July 16th, 2008
1:09 AM
 
Roman Evans entered the cold conference room, shivering in the dark chamber. The only light came from a small television in the corner of the room, the news blared on the screen.
 
"Pierre?" Evans said bearily as he entered. The man had called him moments earlier, telling him to meet him in the conference room as soon as possible. "Is that you?"
 
The chair turned around, revealing the white-haired old man. In the years that Evans had known the man, he had changed dramatically. His hair was now white and unkept. His clothes were always wrinkled and he was always inside. His personality had also changed. He had always been a cold, quiet individual but now LeFluer was a dark, determined old man who cared little about anything but his work.
 
"It has begun." LeFluer said in his usual quiet voice.
 
"What has begun?" Asked Evans as he took a seat tiredly.
 
"They have come." The old man said with a smile, "The Judges have begun their attack. Our time as come." That comment was enough to cause Evans to break our of his tired attitude and jump to his feet. "The entire western coast of Alasaka has been blown off the face of the Earth. I have already made various calls and the search for our soldiers had begun."
 
Evans' hands shook as he stared at the screen, displaying the pictures of the much reduced Alaskan coastline. He almost grinned at the grim sight, "How long will it take?"
 
"I'm unsure. It could be quite awhile to presuage the United Nations to join our cause but eventually, they will realize that we are all that can stop The Judges."
 
It was almost dream-like. The thing that Evans had been working on ever since he'd heard of and the thing Pierre LeFluer had been dreaming of since the day he was born was finally beginning. It was hardly something to get excited over, Earth's destruction should have been a terrible thing to see begin but Evans could not withhold his glee. He nearly broke into tears of joy at the sight.
 
LeFluer smirked as one of the television newscasters made a comment, referring to the unknown race as 'The Judges.' The old man chuckled and said that he'd made some phone calls to some friends he had in television.
 
"By the time we persuade the UN, everyone with the defect will be accounted for and the training can be started quickly." He chuckled. "I have already filled out the paperwork and our first soldier is more than ready. Rene-Henri's name has been changed to Rene Henri as to not cause confusion. He will prove to be a very valuable asset in the early stages of the project."
 
Evans smiled and nodded, "Now Project Sauvuer can begin."
 
LeFluer shook his head, "No. Project Sauvuer was only the beginning. Project Espoir 01, the thing to bring hope and light back to all of humanity, has just been started."
 
Roman nodded and crossed his arms as he looked back at the television. Images of The Judges' attack played across the screen.
 
The days to follow would have some of the largest impacts on humanity in the history of the planet. It would take humanity and the people that were now in charge of protecting it to places they'd never been before. Many lives would be lost, including that of the Father of Espoir, Pierre LeFluer.
 
The story goes on...