Fan Fiction ❯ Espoir ❯ Anatomy of a Nightmare ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Espoir
 
Summary: As Earth enters it's final stage of existance, humanity attempts one last stance to save themselves. An experiement that had been studied since the beginning of Earth's destruction is put into action. Project Espoir 1 has begun...
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Genre: Drama, Action, Post-Apocalyptic.
 
Chapter Eleven
Anatomy of a Nightmare
 
She was greatly mistaken.
 
How could she ever be so stupid as to beleive that the program was finally being completely honest with them? How could she ever beleive that they had the young adults that were working for the program in mind?
 
Hell, they weren't even considering what the soldiers would think when they heard of the ugly truth behind the Espoir program.
 
Did they really beleive that they would take the news that they were all eventually going to turn into horrible, demonic monsters at some point and they that was the real goal for the program good? Maybe Kei wasn't the only dumb one, maybe all of humanity was.
 
She'd nearly fainted when Captain Nottap had given the news to them. When he told them that the battle suites they all wore were actually just there to cause the genetic defect they all had to grow and eventually transform them into monsters that could equal or overpower the strength of The Judges.
 
Nottap had told them right out that those two beasts at Kendai were actually Rene Henri and Yukio Raidon and that that was the final solution to the 'LeFluer Equation,' a statement Pierre LeFluer created in order to describe the effect that the Espoir armor had on the defect.
 
She would have gone insane if it wasn't for Kuris.
 
He had caught her when she nearly fell and had helped her to her room. He sat with her for nearly an hour as she babbled on, talking about things no one could understand. He'd left not too long ago and now Kei sat alone in her room with nothing but the thoughts about how the suites at the ECB had betrayed them.
 
How could they go on fighting for people who do not care in the least bit about their safety?
 
No one was protesting about the truth behind Espoir, no letters were being sent and there were no arguments about the well-being of the soldiers. Did anyone truely care?
 
The words her captain spoke just before telling them the truth echoed in the back of Kei's mind. He had told them to think about why people were taking such measures, endangerng the lives of hundreds of young people, and for what reason.
 
There was no other way, really.
 
Espoir, and the beasts it created, are prehaps the only thing that can defeat The Judges. Perhaps Pierre LeFluer and everyone else who knew about Espoir's ugly truth knew that it would be the only way to save the world. Perhaps if LeFluer were still alive, he would be able to explain everything to them.
 
Perhaps, Kei's own well-being and comfort was the least of everyone's worries and perhaps, it should be the least of her's.
 
espoir
 
Who am I?
 
What am I?
 
Why am I here?
 
Those were the thoughts that ran through Kuris' head as he sat in his darkened room, rocking back and forth as his reaction to the latest events regarding Espoir finally hit.
 
He somehow had been able to remain calm and collected while comforting Kei. He was more concerned for her well-being than that of his own and it wasn't until he got home that his mind realized what exactly was happening.
 
Those monsters that had formerly been Yukio and Rene were actually the final stage of the Espoir Program. Someday, Kuris would turn into one of those beasts all to win one measly battle.
 
One measly battle that would probably mean nothing.
 
Sure, the monsters may be able to defeat The Judges during that one fight but what happens when the world runs out of soldiers? What happens then?
 
Kuris knew what happened. The world would realize the futility of their actions and accept their demise. That is, if The Judges didn't find some may to destroy the planet without even engaging the monsters.
 
It had happened before. The Judges had destroyed countless areas in mere seconds. What good would the soldiers do if they were evaporated in a flash like the rest of the world?
 
In reality, the sacrifice of all the young people that were involved in Espoir was worth nothing.
 
He wanted to hide.
 
He wanted to cry.
 
He wanted to run away.
 
Run away?
 
Like his father? Like his whole family had done at one time or another?
 
His father had abandoned Kuris' mother when he'd been born. He'd been too cowardly to stay behind and face the obstacle like a man. He'd ran away like a frightened child and hid somewhere where he was immune to the fears and terrors of the real world.
 
Was Kuris truely like his father?
 
No, Kuris refused to end up like his father. He refused to be marked as a coward and looked down upon like a insect under a child's magnifing glass. Pathetic, small, frightened.
 
Kuris would never be such a worthless, cowardly excuse for a human being as his father. He would prove it.
 
While his instinct may try to tell him to run, to hide, to cry, Kuris would never stoop so low because that is what his father would do. His father had listened to his instinct and look at now he was now. Hated by his son and former lover and hardly worth being allowed to live. That is, if he was still alive.
 
No one knew if Kuris' father was even still alive as he'd hid himself. Nothing was known of the man.
 
Kuris didn't want to be forgotten.
 
He didn't want people to wonder wether he was even alive. He didn't want people to not even care wether he was living or not. Sure, the goverment may not care if he lived or died but others did.
 
His fellow soldiers, his captain, his mother, Kei. They all cared about his safety.
 
They would fight for him, fight alongside him until his dying day and Kuris wanted to return the favor. While he may be a coward deep down, Kuris refused to allow that cowardice to surface and overwhelm his senses like it did his father.
 
Never would Kuris abandon his friends.
 
Never. Not even if it meant him meeting the same fate that Rene or Yukio did.
 
espoir
 
Ray George sat in his rented room in Paris and sighed.
 
Who would have imagined that the world would eventually stoop to subjecting their own kind to such radiation that they would turn into hideous monsters, all just to save their own skin.
 
Humanity sure was a sick race.
 
George leaned back onto his lumpy, somewhat smelly mattress and sighed. Never would he had thought a few months ago that the world would be relying on the studies of a mad scientist for the sake of the world. Niether would he have thought that those studies would change innocent, young people into destructive beasts all for the sake of humanity.
 
If anyone could have predicted that this would be part of the planet's history then Ray wanted to meet them.
 
The whole situation was pure insanity. It sounded like something written by some insane, sci-fi writer.
 
George leaned over and picked up the telephone. He pressed the button for the front desk and waited for the tired, slightly agitated voice of the hotel clerk to answer.
 
"Could I get a bottle of scoth sent up to my room, please?"
 
Now, Ray George wasn't exactly a keen drinker. Hell, the only times he really did drink was at parties or when he was depressed and now seemed like the perfect time to drown his sorrows in liqour.
 
The bottle didn't take long to be delivered to his room. Ray was about to ask for a glass when he decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Sitting back down onto the futon, Ray took a long swig straight from the bottle and winced as the liquid traveled down his throat.
 
What a time humanity lived in.
 
Ray looked out at the dull sky and sighed. He couldn't even begin to think aobut what the Espoir solderis were going through. What could be running through their minds?
 
Betrayel?
 
Fear?
 
Despair?
 
They were hardly even adults and they were being told that their survival meants nothing to the world and that they were practically being sentenced to death all so that the rest of the world could go on living.
 
How can anyone ask someone so young and insecure to take on such a task?
 
Ray remembered back when he was in his early twenty's. A hot-headed kid in college who only cared about women, partying, and his career. How would he have handled being told something like what these kids were? Could he have handled something so dramatic?
 
What if the kids decided not to be part of Espoir anymore? No one could force them to stay and fight. Who would be left to challenge The Judges? If Espoir crumbled then humanity would surely meet a worse fate in short time.
 
Ray took another long swig of alcohol and let out a grunt as he felt it make it's way through his body. He laid back down onto the mattress and looked up at the stained, ugly cieling above.
 
Everyone's fate was up to those kids.
 
espoir
 
Music blared loudly inside the largest hangar in Centra-Tokyo.
 
There was no party going on inside, no merryiness was being spread and there was definately no happy party-goers wobbling around the area, to wasted to drive.
 
No, the only person inside the hangar laid on his back on the wing of the white ship known as The Chariot. A lit cigarette stuck out of his mouth and a black bandana was tied around his tanned forhead.
 
Loko Nogami took a long drag of his cigarette and crossed his legs. The loud rock made his ears ring but that was how he liked it. Loud music and a fast ship, there was nothing better to ease a bad day.
 
The tired pilot didn't notice when the side door to the hangar opened and closed. He only noticed the presence of another when his music stopped abruptly.
 
Nogami sat up and turned his head around. Standing with her finger still touching his stereo was the young blonde Audrey. She smiled lightly at the sight of the befuddled pilot.
 
"Did I crash your one-man concert?" She asked with a brief chuckle.
 
Nogami took the cigarette from his mouth and shook his head, "Your presence is always welcome here." He turned himself around and sat cross-legged on the wing, "But might I ask, what exactly are you doing here?"
 
The blonde shrugged gently, "Just bored. I heard your music playing and decided to stop in for a visit." Audrey took a few steps forward. Her short but built body was skantly clad in a short black skirt and pink blouse that showed a tan belly. A pair of sandles adorned her feet. The young girl ran a hand along the hull of The Chariot. "No one else is out and it seems like your the only one not too depressed to talk."
 
The pilot ran a hand through his shaggy, black hair and shrugged, "I'm trying to figure out why your not depressed."
 
"Why should I be?" She asked.
 
Nogami blinked, "You heard the news, right?" The girl nodded slowly, "And that doesn't... depress you?"
 
"Nah." The girl said with a yawn.
 
"Well, why not?"
 
Audrey walked along the side of the ship for a little bit then made her way to the stereo. She clicked open the player and took out the small, reflective disc inside. "You still use compact disks?"
 
Nogami chuckled, "They're much cheaper than conventional software."
 
The girl nodded, "Quite a selection of music. I never saw you as such a music guru."
 
"I'm a fan of the oldies, I'm afraid." He smiled, "Gotta problem with it?"
 
"Of course not." She said with a smile then took a seat on the top of the table.
 
Nogami nodded, "You never did answer my question."
 
Audrey leaned back and brushed a few of her blonde locks out of her face. She bit her lower lip as she thought then shrugged, "You have to look at the big picture, I suppose. I mean, we may be risking our lived but we're doing it for the good of everyone." She sighed, "It's tough to explain but it's kind of like, our deaths would be the rest of the world living on."
 
"So, you don't care about your own life?"
 
She narrowed her eyes, "Of course I care about my life but you have to weigh it against the lives of all of humanity." She looked down, "That's the way I try to make myself look at it. Heck, if I look at it like everyone else is then I'd be just as depressed as the others." He sighed, "I just try to think of my one life compared to that of all my friends and loved ones."
 
"What about the other soldiers?" Nogami asked, crossed his arms.
 
She sighed once more, "I try not to think about that. My life is my option so it compared to the world's makes me feel a little better but..." She trailed off for a moment, "When I think about all the others sacrificing their lives as well, I get kind of down..."
 
Nogami nodded slowly and hopped down from the craft and leaned against the side, "That's a good way to look at it, I suppose."
 
Audrey smiled lightly, "I like to think so."
 
He sighed and shook his head. It was a terrible situation to be involved in. No one should ever have to weigh their lives against those of others, especially if it's guaranteed that one of them will die. "I just wish no one had to die."
 
"Perhaps, no one will." She said with a weak grin, "Never lose hope, Loko."
 
Nogami nodded slowly and forced a smile, "I'm working on it."
 
Audrey smiled again and took a few steps forward. She sighed and shrugged a bit, "It'll take awhile but I'm pretty sure everyone will see things like I do." Nogami nodded and the girl patted his cheek softly, "Keep that chin high, pilot. We've got a lot ahead of us, even if it's just the two of us."
 
Never lose hope? Those three words would stick with Loko Nogami for the rest of his days.
 
espoir
 
Rufus Nottap looked himself over in his wall mirror. Short brown hair and matching eyes. A strong yet slender physique. A too-young-to-command face and a strong jaw. All those features were pulled together by the dark colored uniform he wore, various medals were pinned on his chest showing the world that he was a Captain of Espoir.
 
All that character and yet, Rufus could see none of it from where he stood.
 
Rufus stared into those brown eyes and sighed.
 
What was he?
 
Words couldn't explain how proud Nottap had been when he'd been appointed as Captain of the Third Region. He was happier and prouder than he could ever imagine and yet, look at now he was now.
 
He was in a commanding position in one of the most screwed up military branches ever.
 
All those young kids, hardly out of their teen years were being subjected to more crap than Rufus had been in his entire life. Normally, there would be more activists protesting the situation than in the Earth's history but not now. No one seemed to care in the least bit about those poor souls.
 
Rufus Nottap was the captain of a bunch of screwed up youths who had done nothing to deserve their punishment.
 
The young captain turned away from the mirror and peered out the window. No one was outside today. On any other day, there would be various soldiers walking the streets, almost as carefree was they would be outside of the military.
 
Today, they were all inside. Probably all of them were sulking, confused and frightened about the fate Rufus had been forced to tell them about.
 
Never would Rufus have a worse moment than when he had to tell those kids, his soldiers, of the fate that had been decided for them.
 
It had been nearly three hours since he'd told them the news and he hadn't seen even a glimpse of a soldier.
 
How many would go on fighting? No one could force them to stay in the program. If they desired to be left out, to be sent back home to their friends and families and just await the demise that would eventually befall them then Rufus could do nothing to get them to stay. Even if there was something he could do, he couldn't guarantee he would do it.
 
Those kids had seen forced to enter the program, they'd been taken from their lives to fight a war they knew practically nothing about. Then, they'd been informed that eventually, each of them would painfully turn into a brutal monster all for one, measly victory.
 
There was no way Rufus would force those young people to continue that torment if they did not wish it.
 
No one would force them, Rufus would see to that. Not the goverment, not the ECB, and not Roman Evans.
 
Nottap cursed quietly and laid back down onto his bed. He closed his eyes but only for a moment before a familiar noise reached his ears.
 
That horrible sound. The irritating, frightening, adrenaline-inducing ringing that signalled the beginning of a attack from The Judges. Of course, The Judges could care less about what Espoir was going through at the moment. Perhaps they even knew of what was happening and had decided the moment to attack in a strategic manuever.
 
Nottap stood tiredly and began his usual procedure of preparations.
 
How many would go on fighting? It seemed that the question would be answered soon enough.
 
Perhaps too soon.
 
espoir
 
It made his blood pump.
 
His heart beat faster.
 
His stomach churn.
 
It made Kane snap out of his thoughts and rush into a furry of preparedness.
 
In less than a moment, the Vietnamese boy was out the door, fully clothes in his Espoir armor and sprinting down the street towards the airport.
 
It wasn't until Kane was halfway there that he began to think about who else would show up.
 
Last he'd seen anyone, they were all pretty shaken up over the news of Espoir's true objective. Some of them may have even decided that the war was not worth fighting. Some may not show up, many may not show up actually.
 
What about Kane? Well, he never even considering giving up, to be completely honest. If he didn't fight then he would probably die a useless death. If he did fight, though then he would die fighting for the lives of everyone.
 
Why should he give up if he knew that it would hurt more than going on?
 
Kane swallowed hard when he saw the port in the distance and The Chariot glistening in the daylight. No one was standing around, waiting to board the ship. The only people in sight were the workers that prepared the craft and the dark figure of Captain Nottap, staring into the distance and he waited for his soldiers to arrive.
 
Would Kane be the only one fighting? Could he do anything alone? Every battle he'd been in, he'd had his friends and companions by his side. Could he even enter a battle without his friends backing him up?
 
Memories of his past back home filled Kane's head. Of fighting in the streets alone, trying to raise the people's morale by winning fight after fight against people larger and stronger than he. What had made him keep going? The people's despair, his own desire to win, or Kane's want to help the world in his own way?
 
The sun that had been warming Kane's face was suddenly blocked. He looked to his side and a grin spread over his face at the sight of the large man jogging by his side.
 
"I was wondering when you were gonna show up, big man!" Kane said happily.
 
Bray shurgged a bit, "I'm running a little late." He said in his usual serious voice. "Not as late as some people, it seems." The large man motioned his head off to Kane's left.
 
Looking over, Kane caught site of the short, bearded man that was running up to the duo. Sean smiled and panted, "Sorry, I had some trouble getting ready."
 
"No worries." Kane said with a laugh, "I think we're all a little off so far."
 
The three soldiers quickly came upon the hangar and stood in front of Captain Nottap. Their leader nodded firmly towards the three then continued looking down the street, awaiting the others.
 
It took longer than usual but slowly, more and more soldiers showed up. Each was quiet and looked much more distraught that usual. Kane smiled as he saw Craig Stone approach the area slowly.
 
Sean greeted him with a light smile, "Nice to see you made it."
 
The squad leader nodded, "Sorry I'm late."
 
"Better late than never." Kane said with a chuckle, "How ya doing?"
 
Craig shrugged and ran a hand through his blonde locks, "I'm good but that dumpster behind my apartment isn't so great." He chuckled and rubbed his right arm, his throwing arm. "I decided to try throwing the football a little, to ease the stress."
 
Kane chuckled once more, "How's the arm?"
 
The ex-quarterback shrugged, "Working the same as usual."
 
"Meaning, he's still an all-star." Sean said with a laugh.
 
Kane smiled and looked around. Their laughter seemed to ease the tension in the area and seemed successful in loosening up a few others. Slowly, all the rust was falling off and the group was growing a little better.
 
In their laughter, none of them noticed the presence of Kuris and Kei. The two had walked up together and standed in the back. Both looked distraught and down. Eventually, Captain Nottap herded the soldiers together and gave the order to board The Chariot.
 
They all resumed their usual spots inside the ship and chatter was dropped to a minimum. Eventually, Kane noticed Kei sitting near the back, staring at the ground. The blonde Audrey sat next to her and stroked her arm reassuringly. Kuris didn't sit too far away, in a similar manner. Kane sighed and shook his head as the ship departed.
 
espoir
 
The city of Mondokudai had only been under seige for a few minutes before the Espoir units arrives. They departed their craft in the usual manner, setting down in the center of the city, right in the middle of the Judge's fleet.
 
Sean's rifle jerked against his shoulder as he unloaded a bit more of his clip into a nearby enemy. The glowing white creature fell to the ground, the whispering of The Judges' didn't even flinch.
 
Espoir had been pretty lucky this time as they arrived only seconds after The Judges had. How they'd arrived was beyond Sean or anyone else as there was no sign of aircraft or anything. However, no one had much time to ponder the question as they'd been dropped off right in the middle of the invasion.
 
Their arrival seemed to have distracted The Judges enough as they were unable to cause heavy damage to the city itself. Unlike in past battles, not all the cities were burning or destroyed and the enemy was not as spread out as usual.
 
Sean felt a presence behind him and spun around just in time to see the glowing form of one of The Judges towering over him. He was unable to bring his rifle around quick enough and saw the enemy begin it's attack. There was no way he could counter quick enough.
 
Suddenly, a large figure burst into the scene with blade swinging. The enemy fell soon enough, nearly collapsing on Sean himself. The bearded soldier looked up and nodded in acknowledgment to Bray Jackson, who stood over the fallen foe and returned his blade to it's sheath.
 
Bray had to be one of the most complex fellows Sean had ever met. His entire life seemed to be driven by revenge for his late family, who had been killed by The Judges only a short while ago. He refused to share his feelings and thoughts with anyone and was relatively quiet all together. However, the large man did seem to have some sort of emotions as he seemed to see the others as his friends, and apparently that was something Bray wanted to protect.
 
Sean coughed a bit as dust from a nearby explosion filled his lungs. He squinted just before firering his rifle at a enemy in the distance then began to fall back into the cloud as he saw his comrades to the same.
 
It was amazing when one really began to think about how the soldiers had grown together. They now seemed to work as one united entity. If one fell then the others helped him up and if one member saw something and acted on it, the others followed shortly after.
 
Sean looked around and saw Craig Stone motioning the others to follow his lead as he sprinted down a large main road. Sean followed after his squad leader.
 
If Espoir truely had become one entity then Craig Stone was definately at the head. His seeming fearless demeanor and level-headedness had gotten the group out of more than one sticky situation. Although obviously hurting from the fact that his bright future in football had been torn from his hands, he put the problem behind him for the betterness of the group. If there was one man Sean trusted in the entire squad then Craig definately was the man.
 
Sean caught up to Craig just enough to hear him say something about the main force behind just down the road. Gripping his rifle tightly, Sean followed afer his leader but left his eyes open just in case.
 
It didn't take too long for them to find the 'main force.' After one corner, the group was hit with a barrage of enemy fire. The laser-like enemy burst hit the walls and ground around them and three soldiers fell. One man, a dark-skinned kid Sean didn't know too well, fell to the ground right next to him. Sean quickly aided the boy to cover and laid down some cover fire for the others.
 
Although definately frightened, the wounded male seemed to not be in too bad of condition. His leg was a bit fried but there was little bleeding. Sean gave some encouraging words then returned to firering from the cover of the wall.
 
Sean glanced across the street and saw Kuris Takasa in a similar condition. Another boy Sean barely knew lay on the ground next to Kuris. He bled heavily from his neck and face and it was obvious that he had died almost instantely. Upon closer inspection of Kuris, one could see a few tears falling from his cheeks.
 
Kuris Takasa was also one complex individual. His mental stability had most definately taken a beating since the beginning of Espoir and many times Sean had worried if the male was going insane. He'd witnessed so many hardships in the time he'd been in the program and not once had he spoken to anyone about what happened to him when he was left in Kendai.
 
It seemed like the only thing that kept him going was his close friend Kei Hayamoto. The young girl lay behind the cover of a dumpster, a bit of blood running from a cut on her forhead. A usually happy girl, Kei had taken the truth behind Espoir pretty hard. She'd just been coming off a short time of depression when Kuris was beleived to be dead and the news from the ECB had only thrown her back into that depression. Much like Kuris, his company seemed to be one of the only bright things going on in the girl's life.
 
Sean jumped back behind the wall and breathed heaavily as a shot from the enemy crashed into the wall he was hiding behind. He opened his eyes and caught sight of Miya and Kane, both taking cover behind a large monument not far away.
 
Kane Kisho, a male from Vietnam who had lived his life in the slums and making a living as a street fighter. His constantly bright attitude had helped a lot of people in the program be more cheerful about the whole situation. That and his firery spirit. Sean strongly beleived that the boy would never give up. He'd had more hard things thrown at him in the last few months but had never even considerng giving up or even taking a break.
 
Miya, however, was one of the more sad members of Espoir. When Sean had first met her, she was a lively, happy young girl who seemed to be just trying to make the best of a bad situation. After the death of her very close friend Jurgen Endeltraut, she fell into a deep depression that even had some hints at instanity. She was now very quiet and somewhat morbid. Spending most of her time indoors and away from other people, Miya had turned into somewhat of a reality enforcer to the program, reminding many of the soldiers of the terrible thing they were currently involved in.
 
Sighing, Sean turned his attention back to the enemy but was distracted at the sight of Craig running from his cover. Several shots from the enemy missed before Craig brought his right arm back and let loose a grenade. The tiny bomb had to have traveled over one-hundred yards before exploding right in the middle of The Judges' main force. The enemy's attack paused for only a moment but that was all that was needed before Espoir burst from their cover and fell on the shocked enemy like a bunch of rabid wolves.
 
Like a well-oiled machine, Espoir truely did work like one entity.
 
espoir
 
"Yes, sir. We'll be on our way home in a few minutes. The city milita will handle all clean up, I'm sure they can handle it."
 
Craig Stone paused a moment as he listened to Captain Nottap's praise over his com link then switched over to another channel. "Nogami, we'll be waiting for pickup in the city square."
 
Espoir had defeated the enemy rather easily this time. The quick, easy battle seemed to have done a little to raise the morale of the soldiers as many of them spoke happily as they made their way back to the city square.
 
The cheer and praise of the militia and civilians also aided in their morale boost.
 
Damage was minimal and Espoir had been dealt only one death. Injuries were also rare and the only ones that did occur were not serious. Overall, the entire battle had gone over exceptionally well.
 
"Nice throw, Stone." Kane said as he walked up to his friend. "I guess you haven't lost much of that skill yet, eh?"
 
Craig chuckled, "Let's hope not."
 
Sean joined him at his other side, "I don't think you have much to worry about there, Craig."
 
Kane nodded, "I think all you gotta worry about is me." He laughed and threw a arm around Craig's shoulders, "I'm just about sick of your heroics. When you gonna let me have some of that?"
 
Craig laughed and shook Kane's arm off. "Whenever you want, bud. You can have all the praise you want."
 
"He should grow some marbles first." Added the dark voice of Bray. The humorous comment from the usually quiet Bray caused all three of them, and a few listeners, to break into a fit of laughter.
 
Craig glanced behind him and smiled at his friend. "I'll see you guys on the ship. I'm gonna take up the rear and make sure everyone's here."
 
"Always the leader." Kane said with a smirk, "Whatever you say, quarterback."
 
The blonde chuckled and made his way towards the rear of the group. He nodded at a few of the soldiers along the way, receiveing various comments about his great throw and of his leadership in general. He ignored the questions of a local reporter and simply stated that he should make his way to the shelter to check in.
 
Craig made his way to the rear of the group and smiled as things began to grow a little quieter. The crowd had pretty much died down thanks to the local militia's help. Craig was passing by the remaining rubble from a destroyed building as he enjoyed the quiet.
 
That silence was soon interuppted by a faint but still familiar sound. He paused as he heard that familiar whispering.
 
Soon, something burst from the rubble. Craig turned his head just in time to see the glowing form of a battered Judge. His eyes widened and teeth gritted as he fumble with his rifle as the enemy shot a bright laser of light at him.
 
Things seemed to go in slow motion as the shot connected with Craig's arm.
 
failure.
 
Pain burst through Craig's body as the quiet voice echoed in his head.
 
loss.
 
His body grew numb and Craig felt the ground rising up to him. The voice was faint and hard to understand in his head but somehow, he could tell exaclty what it was saying.
 
dissappointment.
 
Craig hit the ground as the sounds of gunfire filled his head. He shouted out in pain as he heard more voices around him. His eyes opened up to see the familiar faces of his friends as they helped him to his feet.
 
"You okay?" Asked a distraught Sean. "Where'd he hit you?"
 
There was no more pain. He couldn't even tell where he'd been hit. "I'm not su-" Craig's voice cut off as he tried to reach up and feel his head with his arm. He couldn't feel it, he couldn't move it. Craig couldn't use his right arm.
 
espoir
 
The sun was slowly beginning to fall over to horizon as Craig Stone made his way across the pavement within Centra-Tokyo.
 
He smiled weakly at the sight of his friends walking up to him.
 
"They finally let you out, eh?" Asked Kane with arms crossed. "How ya feel?"
 
Craig nodded. "I feel fine." He lifted his right arm and clenched his fist. "They were able to jump start the nerves in my arm with shock therapy."
 
"That's good." Said Sean. "You gave us quite a scare back there."
 
"I gave myself quite a scare." Craig said with a smile.
 
Kane chuckled and punched his friend softly on the left shoulder, "It's a good thing your okay. Wouldn't want our all-star to have to go on without his throwing arm."
 
Craig smiled and rubbed his right arm. "Yeah. I think I'm gonna go get some rest. I'll see you guys tomorrow."
 
His friends nodded and said farewell before leaving. Craig waited for them to leave before he walked towards his apartment. His football lay on the ground where he'd left it.
 
Craig picked up the leather back and held his lightly in his hands. After looking around to make sure he was alone, Craig held the ball by the laces in his right hand. He gritted his teeth and brought the ball back behind his head before letting it go with all his strength.
 
Normally, the ball would have soared in a complete spiral for seventy, maybe eighty yards. However, this time, the ball wobbled in the air and flew off to the right. It landed at a roll only thirty yards away.
 
Craig grunted and gritted his teeth as pain filled his arm. He looked at the ball that lay only a short distance away and shook his head.
 
This had to be a nightmare.
 
To Be Continued...