Fan Fiction ❯ Ethereal Eternity ❯ Daybreak ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Peace within the Hyrule Castle is bountiful-the rays of sunlight that make their descent from the heavens are no different. The beams of light that fall from the golden skies are warm and serene…and they carry the essence of my dreams as they bestow their beauty upon the world I know and love. Iridescent stardust falls from the peaceful heavens as the rays of light share their beauty with my world-the crystallized gemstones are not out during the day, but their vigil still lingers in the air during the beginning of each day, and they tell me that the world is aware of my emotions. The world I love is also aware of my dreams and thoughts…..and so my soul is one with the wind and earth.
 
The day has not yet started-the golden orb has not yet made its departure from slumber, and stars are still hovering in the tranquil, dark blue skies. Incandescent ribbons of light are streaming through the heavens….and silver mist is falling from the clouds within the sky. Most of the souls within Hyrule are asleep-the world is at peace….and so is my heart. Flocks of doves are silently soaring through the air, and they're watching over the sleeping hearts of Hyrule…..they are also watching over me, but I am not asleep. My two companions are not lost in slumber either-both of them are completely aware of the miracles taking place. The break of dawn is always a divine sight to behold, but everyday…something changes. It as if the heavens are sharing the future with me somehow….they're telling me that we all have long lives ahead of us…..and they can't be wasted on doubts and fears, nightmares and pain.
 
The winds are cool, but not strong enough to freeze anything. My two companions and I are sitting at Lake Hylia-I enjoy watching the beams of sunlight strike the endless waves of Lake Hylia every morning. There is someone else I want to enjoy the beauty with, but she had to rise from our bed several hours ago-her friend Impa wakened her, and she had to leave me behind. She said nothing to me, but her silent goodbye did more than a million words could do-her eyes always hold a special, deep light within them, and so she rarely ever need words. I rarely ever need words either because of the bond we share with each other.
 
“Link?”
 
One of my companions, Navi, is sitting right on my left shoulder. She enjoys sitting on my shoulder, simply because she thinks we look like a true team when she's resting on me. I heard that birds sit on their master's shoulders-maybe she heard the same story I did.
 
“What is it?”
 
“I was just thinking…..”
 
“About what?”
 
“About Epona. Why hasn't she tried to eat me yet? I'm small, shiny, pretty-”
 
“So. You WANT her to eat you?”
 
“No. It was just a thought. You know how most horses are stupid, right? I was just wondering.”
 
“Come on. You know that wasn't very nice. Now Epona's angry with you. I hope she eats you for breakfast. That way I won't have to spend any Rupees in the market for her carrots today. You'll make a nice meal for her.”
 
“Okay, NOW you're just being cruel! How rude!”
 
“Well then, don't make jokes if you don't want anyone to fight back. Understand?”
 
Navi and Epona love to play around with each other. My fairy friend always attacks her, but in the most playful way possible. The jokes she throws at Epona are never made out of sincerity-both of them share a special bond with each other. I see them as two sisters because they spend so much time playing with each other. Epona's always snorting at Navi, and Navi's always insulting her-but the two of them have no true ill will against each other, and I'm glad because of that.
 
Several minutes of silence pass between us. Small groups of fish break the surface of Lake Hylia, and their silver skin shimmers in the aura of the skies…crystal blue starlight appears when the fishes vanish beneath the waves of the lake. The fisherman, who is only a few yards away from me, is awake-I know because I left the fishing area several minutes ago. He was happy to see me-he is always happy to see me. It may be because I am his only customer and friend, but his conversations do not bother me-one can never have enough friends. Navi seems to get a kick out of insulting him the way she insults Epona, but he doesn't accept her insults the way Epona does-he thinks she's doing it because she actually hates him. She always touches on subjects I would never even think of touching-like his hair, for instance-and she ends up irritating him everytime I walk through the door. The conflicts never explode, thank goodness.
 
Minutes pass before Navi decides to speak to me again. She does have a knack for taunting others, but her taunts are never made out of vicious spite. She has a pure heart-one that is as pure as the heavens themselves. I am grateful to have such a wonderful friend.
 
“Hey, Link?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“What are you thinking of?”
 
Her question surprises me a little. She already knows the answer to it, so for a moment, confusion strikes at my heart…but I understand why she asked it. I look out at the lake before me, which is wrapped up in iridescent blue ribbons of light….and I close my eyes. I know that my fairy friend is silently watching over me with a smile in her heart….she is not just my friend, but a guardian and mentor as well. I slowly sink into another world….a world that is filled with my thoughts, my dreams and my emotions….
 
I visit Lake Hylia every morning with Navi and Epona so I can become lost in this world every morning. It's a peaceful, ethereal realm of tranquility….one that I can happily walk through. It is a world of my feelings….a world of my passion, my heart and soul. The waves of Lake Hylia are slow and peaceful, just like the thoughts that soar through my heart every morning….and the flocks of birds silently watch over the land I love while I think of everything my life means to me.
 
Sapphire blue beams of starlight strike the lake and unite with topaz blue waves as I fall deeper and deeper into a world of infinite tranquility. The thoughts soaring through my mind are like gentle, tender embraces of passion-they're soft, warm and indescribably beautiful. Tears rush to my eyes every time I begin a new journey into the world I am so familiar with….and the tears contain nothing but happiness. Memories of passionate devotion, embraces of tender eternity…..all of these caress my mind as I look upon the beauty of Lake Hylia. My tears drift away with the winds, and the winds carry them to the heavens……and so the goddesses know of my happiness. My heart is at peace-and everything with my life brings great joy to me.
 
Several more minutes pass before the sun begins to make its descent from slumber. The sapphire blue streams of light become translucent, but they are still luminous rays of halcyon warmth. My mind continues to soar over thoughts of my soulmate…….and tears continue to soar with the winds. Happiness grows within every vein of my body with each and every thought…..I continue to think of the one I love more than life itself with a small yet deep smile on my face. Time slowly passes…..before I give my dear friend an answer….but there isn't the slightest bit of impatience.
 
“I'm thinking of Zelda.”
 
Navi's body becomes a light shade of pink-she always turns pink whenever she's really happy. “You're always thinking of her.” she said to me warmly. “You really do love her, don't you?”
 
I said nothing to her, for there were no suitable words. The emotions within my eyes gave Navi the answer she needed. The word `yes' wouldn't have been enough-I love the princess of Hyrule more than anything, but I am unable to describe the love that burns within me. That fact irritates me deeply, but it cannot be ignored.
 
“Where is she? Why couldn't she come with this morning, Link? She always comes to the lake with us.”
 
“She's in the middle of practice, Navi. She's learning how to become a queen. Impa thought it would be a good idea for her to start early this morning.”
 
“Oh. I'm glad the two of you figured out the whole throne issue. I don't think you would have made a very good king.”
 
“Well, thanks a lot.”
 
“No! I didn't mean it like that-it's just that you're a `free spirit'. You like to travel around and stuff. You wouldn't have been happy sitting in a throne room all day, signing papers and things like that. I'm glad you're just Zelda's consort, and not the King of Hyrule.”
 
“Thank you, Navi.”
 
“For what? I didn't do anything, Link.”
 
“Thanks for being my friend. And I'm glad you're happy with the way things are going.”
 
“How can I not be? You walk around Hyrule looking like a lovestruck puppy everyday! Sheesh, sometimes you can't even talk because you're so happy! You're my friend! How can I not be happy for you? I wish I could find someone like you-then the two of us could walk around Hyrule together, and run into walls and-”
 
“Who said anything about me running into a wall?”
 
“Nobody did. I just remember the time you ran smack into the wall at the Bombchu Bowling Alley the other day. I tried to stop you, but you didn't hear a word I said! Your brain really turns into mush a lot, and it's all because of Zelda!”
 
“You'd better watch it, or else Epona will stomp on you. I think she's getting ready to do so right now. Look at her. She looks like a bull.”
 
“Oh shut up. Big meanie.”
 
Sunlight begins to embrace the land of Hyrule after the passing of several minutes. Thoughts of the world I know and love continue to stream through my heart and soul…..and tears continue to stream from my eyes. Smiles, embraces and caresses rise to the surface of my mind…..
 
My heart is at peace.
 
“-and there was this one time when the two of us were at Goron Mountain, and you almost walked right off a cliff-”
 
“The SUN was in my eyes!”
 
“Lame excuse, Mr.Master of the Sword! Hero of Time! Ha! The Hero of Time almost WALKED OFF A CLIFF because the SUN was in his eyes! And what about the time where you almost ate Ruto's cooking?! You would have died if the King hadn't asked you about the dish!”
 
“Leave me alone already!”
 
“Why are you nice to her anyway? She stalks you! There are so many girls that are madly in love with you! Let's see-Malon, RUTO, Saria, Nabooru, ME, oh, and let's not forget everyone we met in Termina! Cremia, Romania, Tatl, Pamela-”
 
“Sigh…..”