Fan Fiction ❯ Even the Darkest Corners Hold Light ❯ Many Encounters ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Yumi sighed as she trudged upstairs to her room. She had decided to help Taiki with the dishes, and had been rewarded with the twenty dollar bill shoved into her pocket.

She came to her room and stepped inside, locking the door behind her...She wanted to sleep. There was a three hour time difference between the West Country and the East Country, so even though it was only 7:33 here, it was still 10:33 according to Yumi's body(and her still un-set watch).

Yumi quickly changed out of her clothes and into a baggy t-shirt that read "z0mb13 ch1x0r" on it; and black boxer shorts. She climbed up onto her loft, and took out her contacts, setting them in the case on her bedside shelf. She clapped, and the light turned off, and Yumi drifted to sleep...

---

Yumi sat straight up upon awaking. She glanced at the clock.

"What the...Already 7:30?" She mused aloud. She'd slept 12 hours...And then she heard Miharu calling her.

"Yumi!" Miharu called. "Yumi! Wake up! You and Taiki have got to leave by 8:30!"

"I'll be down in ten minutes!" Yumi called back, as she closed her eyes.

"Well, better get ready for school," she thought, getting dressed.

---

"Oi! Taiki!" Yumi shouted into the kitchen. "You ready yet?!"

Taiki looked up from the sink, where he was placing his plate, now cleared of three fried eggs, two large waffles, five pieces of bacon, three sausage links, and a huge portion of hashbrowns(just to put into prespective exactly how much he eats).

"Settle down, I'll be out in two seconds!" Taiki replied. Yumi sighed, and began silently counting the seconds.

"THREE seconds, I believe you mean," she said with a smirk. Taiki just rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. C'mon, let's go or we'll miss the bus," he said.

"The...Bus?" Yumi asked. Taiki turned around.

"Yeah. The BUS," he replied, a look of disbelief on his face.

"Oh. OK," Yumi muttered. "Well, let's go, then." She followed Taiki out the door, and they began walking up the hill that was the corner of their block. Already another girl and another guy stood their.

"Who're they?" Yumi whispered.

"The girl is Hara Michiyo. She's in 7th grade...I think," Taiki said, slightly pointing at the girl. Her hair was very long, and black as night, and her eyes were deep brown, almost pits in her face, and...And she was very PRETTY.

"And the guy is Kojima Takumi. He's in MY grade, and he's my best friend." Takumi had long(for a guy, anyway) blonde hair that curled insanely, hazel eyes, and a pair of drumsticks in his left hand.

"Yo! Taiki!" He said when he saw the two approaching. "'Sup?"

"Not much, not much," Taiki replied when he reached Takumi. "You?"

"Same here," Takumi said. "Hey, who's the chick?" Yumi felt herself blush.

"Her? Oh, that's just Miharu-kun's daughter. Y'know, the gothic one from East Country." Yumi felt her ears turn red.

"Oh, so I'm gothic now, am I?" she nearly cried, but instead she simply said "Miura Yumi." Michiyo looked up, and walked over to Yumi.

"Hey. I'm Michiyo," she said, smiling, and holding out a hand to shake. Yumi took it(however awkwardly so) and shook it.

"..Hi," Yumi replied. "Urm...My step-brother said your in seventh grade...So am I!" Yumi said, smiling. Michiyo laughed.

"Wow! Seventh grade rarely EVER gets new students..." Michiyo explained. "It's always the smallest grade, no matter how big or small the sixth grade was." Yumi couldn't help but laugh, too.

"It's nice to meet someone who's so nice," Yumi told Michiyo, just as the orange bus began coming over the hill.

"Oh. There's the bus. Listen, I'd love to talk more, but I've promised I'd sit with Naoko-chan...Matsuo Naoko. She's in our grade, too." Michiyo smiled, and bid a small farewell to Yumi, which shocked her, so she simply boarded the bus last, and sat next to the first person with an empty seat who smiled at her.

"Morning," Yumi muttered, unsure of how this person would react.

"Gooood Morning!" The girl replied. Her hair was short and an oak-brown, and it was pulled back into a ponytail. "I'm Fujiwara Kumiko, but you can call me Kumi-chan!" Yumi was slightly taken aback by Kumiko's straight-forwardness.

"Er...I'm Miura Yumi, and I'm starting in seventh grade here..." Yumi said.

"REALLY?! I'm in seventh grade, too!" Kumiko cried. "Y'know, we rarely EVER get studnets in the se-"

"Seventh grade, yeah, Michiyo told me," Yumi said smiling.

"Cool!" Kumiko said, which caused Yumi to wonder if she EVER ran out of enthusiam. "Did you get your schedule yet?"

"Er...No. I was told I'd have to go to the main office to get it, since I started in the middle of the year..." Yumi answered.

"Oh..Well, that sucks!" Kumiko said. "But, when you DO get it, I'm in Yoshikuni Asuka's homeroom...Yoshikuni-Sensei. She's SUPER nice!" Yumi smiled.

"WEll, let's hope I get Yoshikuni-Sensei, too!" Yumi replied, as the bus pulled up to the school. There was nothing special about the school...Just a lot of brick and glass, and there was a courtyard.

"See you later, Yumi-chan!" Kumiko shouted, as she ran to another door.

"Bye-Bye, Yumi-kun!" Michiyo cried, as she followed Kumiko, and another girl(probably Naoko) followed Kumiko.

"Bye, Kumi-chan! Bye, Michiyo-kun!" Yumi called back, as she walked into the building she figured has the office. Sure enough, there, at the end of the hall, was a black sign reading "Main Office." Yumi walked into it, and stood at the counter, waiting.

"Hello," a woman with short, curly black hair said, smiling at Yumi. "Are you a new student?"

"Er..Yes. Yumi. Miura Yumi," Yumi replied. The woman nodded, and dissapeared into another room for a few minutes, and came back holding a clean, white sheet of paper.

"Here's your shedule, dear, and here's your lock. The combination is ontop of your schedule," the woman said, handing Yumi the two things, and pointing to the top of the paper, which said Locker#X, Combination XX-XX-XX. Yumi thanked the woman, and walked up the stairs. She practiced opening her lock, once, just to be sure that she got it right, and then she checked her schedule...

"Homeroom..." Yumi muttered, looking at the top of her schedule, and looking across for the teacher. "Yoshikuni A, room 302..That must be Yoshikun-sensei, the one Kumi-chan was talking about!" Yumi said aloud, very pleased.

"Kumi-chan?" A male voice asked, and Yumi looked up, to see someone who looked vaguely familiar, but she couldn't remember from where...The bus? Outside of the school? The office? The...?

"Er...I was just talking to myself," Yumi said.

"What about Kumi-chan?" the boy demanded.

"Er...I was just saying I have homeroom with her, and she was telling me about Yoshikuni-sensei on the bus."

"Oh. So you have Yoshikuni-sensei for homeroom, too," the boy said. Yumi nodded. "Well, hurry up. I'll help you find your locker so that we can get to class. Don't worry, I got a pass," the boy said, showing Yumi a yellow piece of parchment. Yumi nodded again, and followed him, studying him.

He had short, slightly messy mouse-brown hair, the color which reminded her of her OWN natural color; and blue-grey eyes, which Yumi found herself imagining must look EXTREMELY wonderful, but they were hidden behind glasses, which she noticed got a little darker in the sunlight...She wanted those kind sooo badly, but her mother said it was either normal glasses or contacts, take your pick

"Here we are," the boy said, gesturing for towards the door. "And your locker's here," he said pointing at it, and opening it for her.

"Er..Thanks. Hey, I never heard your name," Yumi said, putting her things in it.

"I said my name is Yoshikuni Ibuki," he said. "Hurry up, or they'll mark us BOTH absent..." Yumi sighed, locked her locker, and nodded.

"OK. I'm ready. By the way, I'm Miura Yumi."

"Whatever. I don't need your name," Ibuki said, and he walked into the classroom.

[-End Chapter Four-]

[-Hm...Me likes, me likes, though I may do some editing with names later...-]