Fan Fiction ❯ Even the Darkest Corners Hold Light ❯ Lasagna and Unpacked Memories ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Yumi stepped out of the car, and stared up at the house.

It wasn't very large, in fact, it was the smallest on the block(save the fact that all the houses on that block were practically small MANSIONS), and it was made out of white STUCCO. Yumi didn't like from first sight.

"Your room is on the top floor, dear" Miharu stated, as she pulled out Yumi's luggage from the trunk.

"In the attic??" Yumi was growing excited - In their old house, her room was also in the attic.

"No, of course not dear!" Miharu said. "What a ROTTEN place for a room! No, no, it's on the third floor." Yumi groaned.

"Oh, fine, then," she mumbled, silently making a vow to FIND the attic and make a secret type of fort in it.

Kazuma grabbed two of Yumi's suitcases, and rolled them up the door. Miharu grabbed the other two, leaving another simple backpack for Yumi to carry.

"You're SERIOUSLY going to school tomorrow?" Taiki asked in awe as soon as Miharu and Kazuma were out of earshot.

"Well...Yeah. Why not? I mean, it can't be a HORRIBLE place, can it?" Yumi asked. "After all, every one says that East Country is better, including smarter, than West Country..." Taiki just laughed.

"Whatever, man," he said, as he walked up the walkway to the house.

"What is THAT about?" Yumi silently pondered, as she shut the trunk, and followed Taiki up the walkway.

---

Yumi sighed, as she lay down on the loft bed Miharu had bought her.


"This is soo nice," she thought, rolling over onto her stomach. "I could DIE now."

She heard the rattle of pots and pans in the kitchen, signifying that Kazuma(or Miharu) was making dinner.

"Let's hope they don't put in any FISH," Yumi said to herself, as she scrambled down the ladder and began un-packing.

First, she began with her clothes. She put everything -but dresses(which were few), sweaters and sweatshirts(which were plentiful), and varied jackets- into the large, three-drawer dresser. She put everything else into her new, walk-in closet, where she also put her shoes.

Second, she put all of her books onto the shelf, all her writing and drawing stuff on the roll-top desk, and set up her easel, next to a shelf which now held paints and brushes.

Thirdly, she set down her bass gutair's amp next to an outlet, set her bass next to it, set her picks ontop of the amp; and set up her flute stand near the window, set her flute case next to it, and put her music on the stand.

Lastly...Well, Yumi wasn't ready to unpack the last thing. Not yet. So she simply slid the small knapsack with into the back of her closet...Who knows. Maybe she'd take it out later.

"Yeah, in a million YEARS," Yumi mumbled. She sighed, again, and climbed back onto her loft, turning on her MP3 player to some Mozart Concerto, and relaxed until she heard Miharu call her and Taiki down for dinner.

---

Yumi silently sat down between her mother and Taiki at the rather large oak table in their dining room. She busied herself by exaiming the plates Miharu had bought(or were they Kaisuke's from before he met Miharu?)-they were white china, with a delicate little ring of blue flowers and emerald vines around the edge.

Kaisuke came in, holding a steaming pot of lasagna in potholders, which he set down in the center of the table.

"Yumi, you dish up first," he said sternly, casting a fierce look towards Taiki(who had reached for the spoon to dish himself a large helping of the food).

Yumi gave a small smile, and then dished herself up a small portion.

"Yumi, aren't you going to take MORE?" Miharu asked. Yumi shook her head.

"No, mum...I'm not that hungry," Yumi replied. "I...I had a big lunch on the plane ride over." Miharu stared at her daughter with a troubled look, but she eventually shrugged.

"OK, sweetie...If you say so," Miharu said, but the concern was clear in her face and her voice as she dished herself a slightly larger portion. Kaisuke took the same size of a portion, leaving about half the dish left, two thirds of which Taiki dished onto his plate.

"You sure you don't want more, Yumi?" Kaisuke asked as everyone's plates were beginning to clear(other than Taiki's, of course). Yumi nodded. "You want to take it for lunch tomorrow, then?" Kaisuke suggested. Yumi silently considered the offer.

"Well, it means that I won't have to endure rotten school lunch, and it WAS pretty good..." she thought. "But Taiki might try to steal it..." Yumi smiled. "Oh, well. I'll kick his ass if he even TRIES," she thought, before nodding at Kaisuke. "Sure, why not? It was really good, too." Kaisuke smiled.

"I'm glad you think so," he said, as he began clearing the table. "Would you mind putting the rest in a tuberware, then?" he asked. Yumi shook her head.

"Of course not," she said, standing up and carrying the dish into the kitchen. "Of course not..."

[-End Chapter Three-]

[-Wow. This chapter turned out to be quite lengthier than the first two...That makes me happy. ^^ Well, anyways, better start Chapter Four! All I tell you is that Yumi goes to school in it, and she meets Ibuki...-]