Fan Fiction ❯ Even the Darkest Corners Hold Light ❯ Cancled Plans ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Yumi glared into Ibuki's back for a moment, before dashing past him, stopping upon reaching the staircase.

"And, just for the record, Ibuki..." she began. "You...You are the biggest uber-dork the world has ever seen!" Yumi cried, and dashed back down the stairs.

Ibuki stood there for a moment, slightly swaying. "What the....Not even!!!" He shouted back, but Yumi was already gone.

---

Yumi and Ibuki didn't speak to each other when Ibuki arrived back downstairs that night, nor that morning, during breakfast. In fact, the only words they spoke to each other were pathetic goodbyes as Ibuki climbed out of the car to walk up to his house. Kumiko realized that something had happened the night before, when Yumi went searching for Ibuki, but decided to leave it alone...She thought it best for Yumi to think it through herself.

"Hey, Yumi-chan," Kumiko said as they pulled away from Ibuki's house. "I was wondering if you were going to be online today?" Yumi shook her head.

"Sorry...It's Taiki's aunt's birthday, so mum thinks we should go with him and Kazuma...We'll be gone all weekend."

"Oh," Kumiko said, and the two were silent for the rest of the way until Kumiko's mother pulled up in front of Yumi's house.

"Seeya, Kumi-chan!" Yumi called, waving from the front porch as Kumiko and her mother sped away.

---

"I'm HOME!" Yumi shouted, wondering where everyone was as she treaded up the stairs to her room.

"Hm?" Taiki shuffled onto the landing, staring at Yumi with tired eyes. "Oh. It's just you."

"What?" Yumi questioned. "You mean mum and Kazuma aren't home yet?" Taiki shook his head.

"They weren't home when I got home, 'bout ten minutes ago...And they didn't answer either of their cell phones."

"Oh...God." Yumi clutched the railing for support. "Did anything happen to them?" Taiki shrugged.

"I dunno..." He said.

"Well, have you called the resturaunt? Or the car company? The POLICE?" Yumi questioned. Taiki shook his head.

"No, man...Never even crossed my mind to do so..." He mumbled.

"ARGH!" Yumi cried, running past him to her room. She quickly dialed her mother's cell phone number, but there was no answer...

"What the HELL?" Yumi whispered. "What the hell..."

---

Kumiko jumped as the phone rang next on her bedside shelf. She quickly picked it up, saying a tired "Hello?"

"Un...Hey, Kumiko..." Kumiko sat up straighter.

"IBUKI? Why're you calling me?" She demanded, setting down the manga she'd been reading.

"Well, um...I wanted to ask you did....did Yumi say anything about...about me? After you guys dropped me off, I mean."

"Um...No, I don't think so...We didn't really talk. I think she was really sleeply. Why?"

"Oh, um...no reason. Just curious."

"Ibuki....."

"Seriously! It's nothing!"

"I don't trust you...."

"You never have. Not really."

"I don't believe you...."

"You won't no matter what I say."

"I don't understand...."

"You never have, Kumiko. Listen, I've gotta go. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Wait, Ibuki!...Dammit!" Kumiko hung up the phone, returning to her manga, even though the words of what Sohma Shigure was saying slipped through her mind over and over again...

---

"She pick up her cellphone?" Taiki asked, walking into Yumi's room and sitting down at her window seat. Yumi shook her head.

"No...I'm calling Kazuma's now...Damn, no answer, again." She groaned, holding her head in her hands.

"This is....This is big, isn't it?" Taiki asked a bit nervously. Yumi moaned.

"YES, Taiki, this is BIG. We are in really deep shit right now, and you being your usual idiot isn't fucking helping!" She shouted.

"Oh, um...sorry," Taiki mumbled, standing up. He walked towards the door again, and, without turning to look back at Yumi, mumbled "Y'know, it IS possible they just -" But Yumi never found out what Taiki thought, because, at that moment, the front door slammed shut, and two people could be heard downstairs. Yumi leaped off the bed, sprinted pass Taiki, and ran down the stairs.

"WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN?!?!" She roared, glaring at her mother and Kazuma. Kazuma winced.

"Sorry, Yumi...We were picking up some packages from the post office -- Oh, and it turns out we WON'T be going to my sister's house...She's ill," Taiki added, taking off his coat and hanging it up on the coat rack. "How 'bout we start breakfast?"

"Nah...Ate at Jorikino's," Taiki said, walking past the commotion into the living room to play his new video game. Yumi shook her head, turning to walk back upstairs. Since she was no longer worried about her parents, she had gone back to thinking about Ibuki.

"Not hungry," she mumbled, trudging up the staircase.

[-End Chapter Seven-]

[-Sorry it took so long to finish this one! I was having mild writer's block...-]