Fan Fiction ❯ From Hell and Back ❯ Let the Chaos Begin! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He was huge, powerfully muscled with large, flaring bat-wings sprouting from his shoulders. His horns twisted back majestically from temple and crown. His horrendous visage (by heaven's standards anyway) cowed the masses.

He was everything Yasuo wasn't.

His name was Grok and he was one of the top intelligence gatherers for Lucifer, Satan's boss. He was also the demon that Yasuo was supposed to help make manifest into the mortal world.

When Yasuo first saw Grok he did a rather strange thing. He fainted. When he came to he found himself staring into the eyes of one of the most handsome demons he had ever seen. The bright gold eyes twinkled merrily in the gentle face, but something other than amusement moved in their depths.

"Well, I guess that guise is ugly enough if it scared you that badly. Now, if only it has the same effect on our little Kat…." Grok walked away then, slowly stroking one finger down his cheek in a speculative manner. Yasuo felt a hot surge of anger well up from inside him at the thought of the other demon touching the girl whom he would guide for the rest of her life.

Grok noticed this with a satisfied smirk.

"Don't worry. You're little pet is safe with me… Besides. You seem much more entertaining."

Yasuo blanched and tried to climb the wall in a frantic attempt to escape. Having succeeded in his endeavor he now stared anxiously at the smiling demon below him.

"Don't worry so much! I was just teasing you! And besides, I prefer my partners to be willing accomplices. Now… will you please get off the ceiling fan?"

Yasuo started to carefully comply when an ominous rending sound suddenly echoed from above him. He shot a glance ceiling-ward and his eyes widened in horror. The cracks continued to widen, grinning at the jagged edges as the fan dropped a couple inches. A roar of complaint filled the house but didn't manage to drown out Yasuo's wail of despair.

"Why meeeeeee?"

Once the dust motes had settled and happily evolved into small roving herds of dust elephants, and Yasuo's various cuts, bumps, scrapes, lacerations and contusions were taken care of, Grok settled himself onto a chair.

"Do you think you'll be able to goad the girl down the path?" he said is a sudden bout of seriousness.

"Honestly? No, but only because of my horrible luck. But I'm fated to be there and try so I have no choice." Yasuo winced against the plush couch as he settled against a bruise. "And besides, your experience should make up for my bad luck!"

A small snowflake landed outside and did its best to look mysterious.

"All right then. We should probably get you down to Earth so you can start working on the poor girl."

There was a flash and a bang and a swirling of psychedelic colors that all smelled like banana. When he finally landed, Yasuo stumbled a few feet to one side, overcome with dry heaves. No one had warned him about that part of going to the planet that they governed. Grok stood next to him, smiling sympathetically.

"It's always hard the first few times but you get used to it. Now, I'm going to the circle. You go find this girl of yours and start working your charms." He stepped back with a sparkle in his eyes, then vanished with a gentle breeze.

Finding Katherine was the easy part. Getting her to actually do something was giving the poor young demon a headache. So far he'd managed to get her to finally believe in magic and to at least think about going to a circle on Samhain night. This was at least a step in the right direction.

He was currently sitting on the floor next to her, eyes glazing over as the painfully boring drone of the history teacher went on, and on, and on and on andon andon andonandonandonand…. He shook himself awake and peered for the hundred millionth time at his charge. He couldn't believe that anyone could be quite so psychically deaf as this girl. There were two days left until Hallowe'en. Two days until the demon summoning was supposed to take place. He bowed forward until his head touched the floor. How in heaven would he ever get her to pull it off? He started banging his head against the floor just to pass the time. It also drowned out the monotone buzz coming from the teacher. The last time he'd tried to pay attention he'd become so bored that he didn't notice when class had ended. He woke up during the weekend when it finally sunk in that no one was in the building.

And now he was here again. Waiting. Hoping that the universe would finally be kind to him.

It was two days later when he learned to not wish for such things.

He'd been moping about, pondering his imminent return to Hell in disgrace. He was so depressed that he failed to notice many important, not the least of which included Grok coming and stealing his shirt, pink elephants performing a tango in Katherine's living room and Katherine herself rushing around gathering candles, stones and some very pointy objects.

Now where did I put that dagger? Gaaaah! I'm never going to make it to the clearing in time! Where's my obsidian? My aventurine? My pink stuffed bunny? I can't go anywhere without my bunny!!!

She buzzed around, frantically trying to prepare everything for what she was wanting to try and accomplish that night. She had just received a spell that was supposed to summon a guardian beast of some sort, and with the run of bad thing happening to her, she really needed one.

She had finally finished gathering everything up and had taken two steps out her door when the sky fell. The torrential rains soaked her nearly to the skin and she rushed back inside, tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. Even the universe seemed to hate her.

But one of Kat's most reliable traits was her stubbornness. She dragged her totebag into the large rec room and began setting up. The gathering of magic woke Yasuo out of his funk and he rushed over to examine her preparations. This wasn't going according to any sort of plan at all! She was hurrying through things and doing them in completely random order. He was beginning to really worry when Grok finally showed up. The demon looked flustered as he materialized, then disgusted at Yasuo's appearance. The young personal demon hadn't bothered to particularly look after himself during the past couple weeks.

It showed.

And it smelled.

Yasuo started crossing the crossing the room, treading directly through the giant circle. He realized his mistake far too late as he felt shields of incredible strength spring up around him, trapping him just as securely as the spell that was now twisting towards him. Tendrils of energy reached out and he panicked briefly. The spell beast touched his mind, reassuring that everything was going to be all right, then the world went dark.

He finally opened his eyes and stared around at a world that suddenly looked a lot more solid. He peered around for a moment before catching sight of the girl in front of him.

She stared, wide-eyed with shock, horror, fear and many other similar emotions. Her eyes swept down, widened even further at what she saw, and she did something poor Yasuo was not at all surprised to encounter.

"KIIIIYAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: oooooo…. Plot advancement! This used to be part of chapter one but I hit writers block for a while but still desperately wanted to update.