Fan Fiction ❯ Halfling ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter one-
 
“Kira over here!”
I turned my head to see my best friend, Reilon running up to me, her hands waving wildly.
“Hey, Rei.” I reluctantly walked over to her slowly looking around for the rest of my friends. I spotted them walking over behind the eager long blond haired girl.
“Kira, are you okay!?” Reilon just had to ask.
“Fine…” I murmured as she reached me with a huge hug. “Rei…can't…breathe…” I gasped.
“Opps...sorry!” Reilon squeaked as she quickly let go and then turned to the others as they arrived.
It was Keiro, his girlfriend Raef, and Tokala, Rei's boyfriend. They all had same expression on their faces. Worried.
“Kira, we heard about your dad.” Raef's voice was deep with concern.
I gulped and faked a smile. “It's okay guys. What is done is done.”
“Yes but…suicide? Kira…that's a heavy burden to carry.” Tokala whispered.
“I am fine.” I pushed past them. “Now lets go to school.”
I knew they were staring at me oddly for I could feel their eyes bare down into my back, but I shook it off and walked down the street towards the large building known as Kitfield High School.
Classes that day were longer than usual, for I was being questioned by friends and even by people I hardly knew about my father's death. It started to get to the point where I was about to snap but I held out with a simple nod and a, “I am fine.”
Though I really wasn't.
Once the bell rang for school, to end I swear it was the happiest point so far of that day. I packed my things together and then started for the classroom door, only to be stopped by Reilon's voice.
“So we still going on a walk through the woods with Keiro, Tokala, and Raef?”
I cringed and nodded, “Yes…I will meet you guys by the abandoned shack at the usual time.”
She smiled and skipped off down the hall without another word. I rolled my eyes and started towards the outside door.
I hated being with couples like Raef and Keiro, or Reilon and Tokala. I felt bad and lonely, often wondering why I wasn't with anyone. I mean, I had good looks to others. I was always hit on, but I didn't want any of them. My type of guy did not whistle at me and call me “hottie” or “chick.”
The walk home was short due to my quick pace and the many shortcuts I took. The weather was cooler now and a hint of moisture was in the air. `It will probably rain later.' I thought as I hugged my body for warmth.
Once I reached my door, I looked up at the note that hung by the small peephole with a piece of tape.
Kira,
Will be back later.
Leftovers in the fridge.
Love Mom
I took down the sheet of paper and sighed, “She could have at least told me where she was going.” I twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open with a gust of warm air from the heater.
I quickly grabbed my other backpack which already had my flashlight, matches, my journal, a half eaten bar of chocolate, and my jacket in it. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a coke out of the fridge and chips from the cabinet.
I yawned and looked up. There in front of me was a family picture of my mother, father, and I.
I stared at my father's face for minutes as tears filled my eyes. But I snorted and turned it over on the table, undoing the latches on its back. I pulled the cover off it and ripped out the picture. I held it in my hands and thought of crumbling it. But I glanced at the clock and yelped.
I wanted to get to the shack before the rest. So I quickly folded it and put it in my back pocket and slung the backpack over my shoulders, and bolted out of the door.
Once out, I grabbed my red bike from the side of the house and took off down the street, towards the small forest area at the end of Hillington.
It took me about ten minutes for me to reach the end of the city where it collided with the forest.
I led my bike over to the bike racks. Bikes weren't allowed on the trails there, so I locked it up and then started down the trail that said, `Two Peaks.'
The walk was quiet and peaceful. I enjoyed the pleasant scenery, and smell of the pines.
As my eyes strayed towards the ground I spotted a large black feather just few yards in front of me.
Knitting my eyebrows together I walked towards it. Once I reached it, I peered down at it curiously.
I shifted my eyes and then reached down to pick it up. As my fingers-tips touched its softness, my thumb wrapped around it and I lifted it.
The feather was literally as big as my forearm and as long as it, too. My eyes scanned it over as I flipped it around.
“Hmmm.” My lips meshed together slightly in a hum.
It was the biggest feather I had ever seen. I wondered if it was from a rather big raven but then I shook my head.
“No…” I muttered, “Too big.”
But my eyes strayed from the feather to a small wooden shack that stood just yards from me. It was the shack I had told my friends I was going to meet them at.
Yet something seemed different about it. But I couldn't place my finger on it.
Wait! I thought, The door isn't locked! It's slightly open!
I always saw a lock on the door so I had never seen inside of it. But now it was open!
Curiosity got the best of me, so I stuffed the feather into my pack and set it down next to the tree.
I slowly picked my way over the many rocks to get to the slightly slanted until I reached it. Inquisitively peering through the crack that was between the door and door-frame, I winced as I pushed my face against the door so I had my right eye in the opening.
My eye shifted from side to side, the other one closed. It was pitch black. But As my eyed adjusted, I began to make out a shape in the far right corner.
“The hell?” I whispered trying to figure out what it was.
But then a sudden pair of red orbs appeared just in front of the corner.
“THE HELL?!” I yelped and fell backwards onto a rock. I watched in horror as the small shack began to shake madly. Scrambling away from it on my hands and knees, I tried to get away.
Then, I heard it explode into a thousand wooden pieces. I curled into a ball over my knees and covered my neck, screaming bloody-murder as I felt a piece go into my right arm.
I kept screaming until the sound of the falling wood pieces stopped. My arm began to throb with the awkward silence but I didn't dare move.
Thump. Thump. Thump.
I opened my eyes to stare at the ground.
Thump. Thump. Thump.
What was that?
Thump. Thump. Thump.
Was it my heart?
Thump.
No…it wasn't. What ever it was it was growing louder.
Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump…
Silence.
Shit.
“Who are you?”
I flinch at the low rusty voice. “Huh?”
“I said who are you?”
I lifted my head slightly.
“Stay still!” The voice snapped. “Or I will kill you!”
I froze.
“Who are you?!” the voice was filled with anger this time.
“Ki-Kira…” I answered.
“Kira who?!” The voice snapped.
“Kira Hikari.” I choked.
Again there was silence.
I started to get uncomfortable for my arm hurt really badly. I wanted to clutch it and roll around in pain but I knew I shouldn't if I wanted to live.
“Stand.” The voice muttered quickly.
“I am sorry, what?”
“Stand!” The voice said again but this time a little more harshly.
“Ye-yes, sir.” I lifted my head and put my good arm under me onto the ground, pushing off of the dirt, using my legs to hoist myself up. I cringed as a sharp pain ran through my arm and down my spine, but I continued to grow taller until I was straight.
“Turn around.” The voice said shortly.
I obediently shuffled my feet in a half circle until I was facing the person to which the voice belonged.
The first thing I saw was a boy, who looked around seventeen. He wore no shirt and long baggy black pants. But then I saw something strange.
Red eyes.
Claws.
Fangs.
And…
Wings?
Big black wings?
The boy narrowed his eyes. “What are you staring at, human?”
“You're…You're the…Halfling?!” I blurted out with a point of my good hands pointer-finger.
He was clearly offended. “Excuse me?!” He roared, “How dare you call me such a name!”
“But it's true…isn't it?” I stammered.
“It is…” He growled, “But it is terribly rude to call me by…”
“I can't believe it…” I interrupted unexpectedly, “You…I...here…you're…real?”
He was once again offended. “Of course I am!” He snapped, “But I wouldn't expect a young girl like you to know of me.” He paused. “How do you know of me, anyways?”
“My father.” I replied.
“And what was your father's name?”
“Dijin Hikari.”
His face scrunched in confusion. “I didn't know he had a daughter.”
“You knew him?” my eyes widened.
“Knew him? Yeah I knew him.” The Halfling didn't blink. “Too bad he was killed.”
I craned my neck, “He wasn't killed...he died from suicide.”
“Oh really? That's what they told you?”
“Yes…” I murmured skeptically, forgetting about the pain of my arm.
The Halfling sighed, “Such imbeciles, to lie like that.”
“What are you talking about?” I questioned slowly.
The Halfling was about to talk but when his eyes narrowed even more than what they were.
They shifted to the right. “Damn it!” he snarled under his breath.
“Wha-What's wrong?”
He suddenly disappeared and then reappeared right in front of me! I yelped and staggered back, but his hand shot out and grabbed mine. I regained my balance and stared down at his hand around mine. “What's going on?”
“I am being followed.” He muttered to me. “Look's like you're drawn in.”
“What do you mean?”
“No time to explain…” He whispered as his great black wings expanded. “Climb that tree over there and stay there until I say it's okay!” He pointed over to a many limbed tree and then looked down at me.
I blinked at him but then another sharp pain streamed through my arm. “I can't climb with this arm…” I said sternly.
“Try!” He snapped.
“O-okay…” He let go of my hand and pushed me off towards said tree. I stumbled a bit but then sprinted towards it. Once I reached it, I studied it closely. My arm's pain was Back but I knew that I needed to do what he said. I am now involved with whatever he is doing. I thought firmly and then winced as I started to scale the tree.
Limb after limb I climbed until I reached the point that no limbs could hold my weight. No matter how light I was. I steadied myself on the branch and then looked down to the Halfling. He looked like a big black bird from my view. I watched as his wings fluffed and his right leg moved behind his left, arms rising into fists.
“Come out here!” He snarled not moving his head. I thought he was talking to me but then an echo of snickers rose around us.
“As you wish, Akuma.” The new tone cackled.
Akuma? I thought, That his real name…guess so.
Akuma lifted his chin as a rather large man with three horns on his forehead and black webbed wings stepped out of the brush.
“Nice to see you, Akuma.” His voice was naisly and annoying. “Glad I found you.”
“Nice to see you too, Drik. I see your voice has gotten higher than a young boy going through puberty.”
Drik snorted, “Ha, ha…not funny.”
“I found it quite the humor…” a new voice rang out.
“Hello, Rarin.” Akuma rolled his eyes.
Kira peered over to a man with long white beautiful feathered wings.
An angel? I pondered but then looked at Drik. With a demon? I didn't know what to think but I decided to keep quiet and watch.
“There a reason you're following me?” Akuma suddenly dropped his voice. “You have been on my tail for weeks.”
Drik snorted and looked over to Rarin who crossed his arms and smirked.
“You have a mighty big price on your head, as you know…”
“Yes…I do.”-
Rarin went on harshly, “You are very powerful. Stronger than any normal demon or angel.”
“Your point?” Akuma clicked his teeth together.
“You would be perfect to join my army.” The blunt reply came.
Akuma tilted his head knowingly and then snorted with a mocking tine, “I am sorry, but I do not have the time to follow some wannabe and his arm of leather-winged idiots.”
“How dare you talk of our lord like that!” Drik snarled, taking a step forward.
Akuma didn't turn his gaze from the angel as Drik raised his clawed hands.
“Don't waste my time.” Akuma's voice rumbled threateningly.
Drik flinched but snarled again, “How dare you!”
“Peace, Drik.” Rarin stretched out his arm in front of the demon.
“But, my lord.” Drik looked up to him.
I barely saw the expression on the angels face change to anger. “Fine…but I think you will change your mind.”
“Oh really?” Akuma said icily.
I observed as Rarin moved his arm away from Drik and held up two fingers. “You have two weeks to decide.”
Akuma didn't say anything as the angel spread out his wings and took off with Drik right behind.
Akuma didn't watch them fly away though. His eyes were fixed on the ground, as if he was actually considering following the angel.
His wings folded slowly behind his back and he then looked up at me. “You can come down now.”
“Are you sure?” I shifted my eye after yelling.
He nodded and I sighed as I started my descent down the large tree. On the last branch, I dropped down to the ground and started walking over to the Halfling.
“Are…you okay?” I asked quietly, trying to be kind.
“Fine.” He said.
He then looked over to me and I saw that his eyes were no longer red. They were a stunning green-hazel. I caught myself staring into them with a lost feeling.
“You're hurt…”
I blinked out of my trance and saw him staring at my arm. I looked down at it saw that my entire arm was reddish-brown with new and dried blood.
Before I could say anything he was suddenly next to me and he placed his hand on my shoulder, the other hand around my wrist.
Slowly, he pulled my arm up so it was straight out. I winced as the hand around my shoulder grasped the piece of wood.
“This will hurt a bit.” He murmured in a short tone followed by him gently pulling the shard out. I bit into my lip, wanting to scream but I held it in with a light hiss from in-between my teeth.
With a slight jolt, he yanked the tip out and threw the piece of wood over his shoulder. I felt new blood begin to swell out of the wound and cringed slightly.
“Stay still…” he grunted.
I let my arm go loose in his hold and then he took his free hand and placed it over the angry flesh.
He cupped his long fingers around my thin arm and pressed, making me gulp.
What happed next was amazing to me.
A soft red light glowed around his hand and my arm. He pushed harder on my arm, using his hand around my wrist to steady it as a warm feeling flowed into my limb and throughout my body. The pain had vanished into this supple sensation as I watched him gently lift his hand off the wound.
I peered at it and watched it spit out splinters and dirt that had gathered in it. Then, the redness started to disappear gradually into fresh pale skin.
After a minute of so, the gash was gone. I looked up from the new skin to Akuma who was staring at me.
His eyes were crimson but they slowly melted into the hazel again.
“Th-thank you.” I whispered as I pulled my arm out of his grasp. He nodded and then turned his head when he heard voices.
“Kira, you there?” I heard Reilon's tone call.
Akuma's feathers ruffled slightly but I said, “It's okay. They are my friends.”
Akuma nodded and then straightened his back out as his wings spread out.
“You're leaving me?” I asked bluntly.
He looked down at me and then nodded.
“Kira?!” Reilon called again.
“Will I see you again?” I whipped a piece of brown hair behind my ear.
“No…” Akuma growled and then his great black wings lifted and shot down, sending him sailing into the air.
I ran forward, my eyes trying to find where he had flown off to, but I had lost him.
“There you are.”
I turned around to see my four friends struggling to get through a thick bush. Tokala came out first and then Reilon, followed by Raef and Keiro.
“Did you see that raven?” Keiro was looking up in the sky, searching for what he had seen.
“Raven?” I sputtered, “But that was…” I then stopped myself. “A rather big raven.”
“It was.” Keiro agreed as he and the rest reached me.
“We heard you talking to someone…” Raef raised an eyebrow. “Who was here?”
“Huh...oh…I was talking to myself.” I answered quickly.
Tokala snorted with amusement. “Okay then.”
I blushed slightly out of embarrassment but then looked up into the sky, with the small hope of seeing the Halfling once again.
“What the hell happened to the shack?” Reilon suddenly gasped as she noticed the shack was gone and the large wooden pieces around the trail.
“Dunno.” I lied. “It was like this when I got here.”
“How odd.” Raef murmured.
“Indeed.” I established and then yawned, “I think I am goin to go ahead and leave.”
“Already?” all of them said in unison.
“Yeah…see you guys tomorrow.”
I started off towards my pack next to a tree and slung it over my shoulders, taking off down through the bushes and down the trail. My eyes strayed from the path to the sky, with the wish of seeing him. Flying over my head.
But as it turned out I didn't see anything but rain clouds.