Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of a Thief ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: Weee! And here is the second chapter! A warning before reading this one- beware of junk food. (grins)

Bast: (face fault) Moron...

Shiro: Alright, enjoy the chapter!

-H-E-A-R-T--O-F--A--T-H-I-E-F--H-E-A-R-T--O-F--A--T -H-I-E-F--H-E-A-R-T--O-F--A--T-H-I-E-F-

Chapter 2

“You guys bought a bunch of junk.” Mai states, glaring at the bags of chips and cookies.

Takara happily snatches up a bag of potato chips and plops down at the table beside Yoshi and Kin. “Alright! Hand over the cookies, dog-boy!”

“No way!” Yoshi exclaims, hugging the bag to his chest. “These are all mine, Vixen!”

“Yoshi, you’re squishing the cookies.” Kisho calmly notes, snatching a barbeque chips from Kin’s hand.

Kin immediately protests and attempts to snatch the chip back. He pouts when Kisho quickly shoves the chip in his mouth.

Mai huffs and carefully sits down with a bag of peanut butter and oatmeal cookies. “I can’t believe that all you bought were cookies and chips.” She says, opening the bag and pulling out a cookie.

Kin smirks and swallows the chips in his mouth. “Actually, we’ve got soda and bottled water in the fridge.”

Takara perks up a little more. “Soda?” She asks.

“Which you will not be drinking.” Kisho says firmly. “We do not need a repeat of the last time you drank soda.”

“Or coffee.” Yoshi adds, smacking Takara’s hand away from his cookies.

Takara pouts before quickly snatching one of Yoshi’s unguarded cookies. “Nyaa!” She exclaims, holding the cookie out of Yoshi’s reach. “It’s mine now!”

“It is not!” Yoshi protests.

“I called it!”

“So? It’s still mine!”

“No it’s not!”

“Yes it is!”

“No it’s not!”

“Yes it is!”

“No it’s not!”

“Glad you agree with me!” Yoshi says, practically crawling on Takara’s lap to get the cookie.

Thinking quickly for some way to prevent Yoshi from getting ‘her’ cookie, Takara licks it. Like lightning, the cookie is snatched from her grip and Yoshi shoves it into his mouth.

Mai makes a disgusted face, Takara pouts, and Kin and Kisho laugh.

“That’s disgusting, Yoshi!” Mai exclaims, shying away from the black haired boy.

“No,” Yoshi corrects, swallowing. “It’s food and it’s good. Can I have a chip, Takara?”

Takara gives Yoshi a dark look. “After you stole my-”

“It was mine.” The violet-eyed boy says.

Takara ignores him and continues. “-my cookie, do you really think I’d give you even one chip?”

Yoshi pretends to think about it for minute before saying, “Yup,” and attempting to grab Takara’s bag. Takara grabs ahold of one side to keep him from getting it, resulting in a game of tug-and-war.

Kisho, Mai, and Kin all duck as the bag rips open and potato chips go flying everywhere. Kin looks up seconds later and starts laughing at the sight of the two dark-haired teens with chips in their usually clean hair.

“Shut up, Kin.” Yoshi grumbles, picking a large chip from his hair.

Takara jumps up, ignoring the way the chips on her scatter all over Yoshi and Kin. “I call first shower!” She exclaims.

“No fair!” Yoshi yells. He quiets down and smirks when he thinks of something. “Of course, we could always just take one together.” He says, winking at Takara.

Mai and Kin sigh in exasperation, Kisho clenches his fist, and Takara turns bright red from anger. She slowly pulls back her hand and then smacks Yoshi. The smack seems to echo around the room as she stomps off to the bathroom. Mai and the three guys wince as the door slams shut.

“Yoshi, you are an idiot.” Kin announces after a moment of silence.

Mai rolls her eyes. “Kin, please tell me that it did not take this longer for you to figure that out.”

“Of course not!” Kin exclaims. “I may be a blonde, but I’m not stupid!”

“Are you sure about that?” Yoshi asks, gingerly touching his cheek. “Man that girl can punch.”

Kisho frowns. “You really shouldn’t test her like that, Yoshi. Her patience has been steadily running down ever since we got to this town.”

“She came close to snapping at me earlier when we were shopping.” Mai says, folding up her bag of cookies.

“Mai, everyone’s patience gets tried when they go shopping with you. Takara’s no exception.” Kin says, brushing a few strands of hair from his bangs out of his face. “Even Yoshi- the second biggest shopping in our little group- goes buts when we force him to go shopping with you. Face it Mai, you’re a shop-o-holic.”

Mai glares at Kin, Yoshi smirks, and Kisho immediately sighs.

‘Kin you idiot. Three… two… one…’ Kisho counts down.

“What’s that suppose to mean, Kin?!”

“Right on time.” Kisho mutters, thanking everything that Mai can’t hear him over her steadily growing argument with the blonde cat. “I’m going for a walk. If I’m not back within two hours, send someone for me.” He whispers to Yoshi, before getting up and walking out unnoticed.

“Yeah, sure. Leave me here to break up the old married couple.” Yoshi grumbles, pouting for a moment. He almost instantly perks up when he remembers he know gets to watch Kin repetitively get the better of Mai.

-.-.-

Kisho sighs and runs a hand through his brown hair, trying to sooth his nerves. Then, shoving his hands into his pockets, he walks away from the hotel and toward the nearest park. The entire way he remains wary, his good eye taking in everything it can. A soft smile spreads across his face as he watches kids goofing off everywhere.

Kisho gets to the park after a fifteen minute walk, earlier than he expected. With a soft sigh, he sits down on the deserted swings and halfheartedly begins swinging. His thoughts slowly turn to the past; all the fun and somewhat weird things he and Kin did growing up. And even the games they play now even though their older and no longer alone in their games. He thinks back, with a drown, to when their town was destroyed because their were many thief families living there. That was when he and Kin were forced to join a large thieving group in order to survive. Kisho holds back a laugh when he recalls the first time Kin met Mai and later Kin getting into a wild discussion with a much shorter-haired Yoshi. And then the biggest mystery of all- Takara. He remembers Yoshi being the first to befriend her and how Mai at first refused to trust her.

Kisho chuckles. ‘There weren’t very many girl thieves then, so of course Mai thought it was weird… Somehow Takara has found a place in each of our hearts. For Yoshi and Kin, she’s the sister they’ve always wanted. For Mai she’s a dear friend- possibly a best friend. As for me…’ He looks sadly at the ground. ‘She’s my most precious treasure, one I’ve sworn to protect with my life. At the same time-’ Kisho cuts himself off and shakes his head. “She’d never love someone like me. She-… she deserves better.”

A single tear falls to the ground. Kisho remains in that spot for the next two hours until someone finally goes out and finds him and takes him home.

-.-.-

Takara sighs heavily as she steps out of the shower, wrapping a navy blue towel around herself. Her waist length hair hangs in wet waves, much to Takara’s annoyance. She walks over to the sink, picks up her brush, and begin smoothing out her hair. ‘I know I completely overreacted earlier. I’m just… afraid. Me being back here… Hiroshi not being the idiot I’ve made him out to be… this entire party thing… I really need to calm down, but for some reason I can’t.’ She sighs and sets her brush down. ‘I know the others are confused… Hell, I’m confusing myself.’ Takara’s mind drifts away from the small problem and on to other things as she starts getting dressed. ‘Kisho’s been kind of acting funny lately. He’s more quiet than usual… and so has Kin actually.’ “I hope nothing’s wrong with them.” She murmurs, slipping into a pair of soft black pants.

A soft knock comes at the bathroom door as Takara’s pulling on one of Kin’s old now-faded black t-shirts.

“What?” She asks, quickly pulling back her hair after getting the shirt on.

“Takara?” Kin’s hesitant voice drifts through the door. “Can I come in?”

Puzzled, but no about to voice it, Takara turns the doornob to let him in. Her puzzled look turns to a worried one when she sees her brother figure’s serious expression. “Kin, what’s wrong?”

“It-…” Kin stops and takes a calming breath before continuing. “It’s Kisho. He left for a walk about two hours ago and hasn’t come back yet. I hate to admit it, but I’m really worried. He’s never stayed gone this long before… you know I see him as my brother because we’ve been friends for so long and I-”

Takara places a finger over Kin’s lips, effectively shutting the blonde up. “Cat, you’re rambling.”

Kin bows his head out of embarrassment. “Sorry.” He murmurs sheepishly.

“It’s alright.” Takara replies. “Now, what do you say we go find out beloved Dragon before it gets too dark.”

Kin nods. “Yeah, good idea, Vix.” He half heartedly smiles at her. “Thanks Takara.”

“Anytime, Kin. Anytime.”

-H-E-A-R-T--O-F--A--T-H-I-E-F--H-E-A-R-T--O- F--A--T-H-I-E-F--H-E-A-R-T--O-F--A--T-H-I-E-F-

Shiro: So, how do you all like this chapter? I've been working on improving the descriptive parts and limiting dialogue. Is it working?

Kaze: I doubt it...

Shiro: -.-

Keitaro: Don't listen to the baka kaze youkai. (sticks tongue out at Kaze) She knows nothin'.

Shiro: (hugs Keitaro) Thanks Kei-kun.

Bast, Kyle, and Kitsune: (all sweatdrop)

Kaze: (rolls eyes)

Kyle: Erm... alright... please review, everyone!