Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time fanfiction/novelization ❯ One Who Awaits ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3

One Who Awaits

The campground was bustling with activity. A huge campfire blazed brightly and half a dozen Kokiri were milling about, talking and laughing loudly. The largest of the Kokiri sat quietly on a stump in front of the campfire. Suddenly, he spoke out in a loud commanding voice.

"The meeting will now commence," Mido said. The Kokiri stopped whatever activity they were occupied with and ran to the campfire. Within minutes they were all seated in a semi-circle around the campfire. Mido stood on a speaker's platform, raising him so he was visible above the fire. He scrutinized the Kokiri who were seated before him.

"Did you bring the prize?" Mido asked, although he already knew the answer. Authenticity was part of the excitement of being a commander. One of the Kokiri's hands raised in the air.

"We've brought the prize, Commander Mido, sir. It's lying right over there." Two of the Kokiri immediately stood up and went to the large bundle, dragging it out into the light. The bundle squirmed.

It was Lonnie, bound and gagged. Mido stepped over to Lonnie and stood over him menacingly. He smiled wickedly.

"So, Lonnie, now you know the consequences of siding with the enemy. What do you have to say for yourself?" He reached down and pulled the gag out of Lonnie's mouth. Lonnie gasped.

"I'm sorry, Mido...I'm sorry. Let me go...please," Lonnie whimpered, stark fear showing on his face. Mido harrumphed and turned to face his lackeys. He began to pace in front of them.

"He's asking us to let him go, fellow Kokiri. But it seems that we may have a use for one such as this." Mido stopped pacing and addressed them directly.

"Tell me, should I let him go?"

"No!" the Kokiri thundered together, thrusting their fists in the air. Mido turned to Lonnie and shrugged.

"It's unanimous, I'm afraid." He walked over to Lonnie. Lonnie cringed with fear, his eyes wide. "What are you going to do?" Mido crouched beside him, looking at him face to face.

"Well, of course we wouldn't harm you in any way... not when you're so useful to us. So I'll tell you what we'll do. We're going to keep you prisoner until Link and Saria return from the forest. Then, Link and I will make a trade. Your safety, in exchange for the treasure. I'll make sure Link never finds the Deku Tree. You got that?" Lonnie lowered his head and began to cry. Mido stood, chortling. He whirled to face the group of Kokiri, who were looking at him bright-eyed and expectant. Mido spread his hands.

"Let the festivities begin! The victors will celebrate tonight!" The Kokiri bounced up from the ground gleefully and began to dance around the campfire, chanting and hollering. Lonnie looked to where Mido was standing. He was smiling dangerously, and Lonnie shuddered as the fire cast dark, eerie shadows over Mido's face.

It was almost pitch black. The treetops obscured the sky, blotting out the light of the stars, and breaking the silver light of the Hyrullian moon into little pieces on the forest floor. Link would have preferred more light, but he ordered Navi to dim her glow to avoid being seen easily. The vegetation pressed in on them, and Link had to take care not to cause the branches to whip back and strike Saria. His face and hands were covered in shallow, painful welts, which Saria smeared with a transparent antiseptic cream. Unfortunately, it did nothing for the dull ache that the scratches produced.

Link squinted in the gloom. Almost invisible, a break in the line of trees was before them. He turned back to the others.

"It looks like we're coming to a glade," Link whispered to them. "Do you want to rest a little while, Saria?" Saria was breathing harder, and Link could tell she was getting weary. She nodded, grateful.

The glade was large and circular, the ground free of the scrub vegetation that made walking difficult. The lack of trees allowed the moon's silver light to cast itself into the glade, lighting everything in an eerie gray. The wan light did little to aid Link and his companions, and the forest was devoid of definition or detail.

Saria walked over to one of the trees and sat down wearily, propping herself up with its trunk. She dug into her pack and came out with a bottle of clear, crisp water, of which she drank deeply. She offered the bottle to Link, but he refused politely, knowing that she would need it if they had much further to go.

Link was standing near Saria, leaning against his spear for support. Navi flew up and landed on his shoulder. She sat down and looked up at him.

"I need my rest too, you know. Flying isn't as easy as it looks."

Suddenly, Navi stood up on his shoulder and waited. Link looked down at her, but she didn't acknowledge him. She was staring off into space, unmoving.

"Navi...?" Link began, but Navi immediately hushed him and put a delicate hand to her ear. Concerned, Link also strained his ears, but he knew that a fairy's hearing was much more acute than a Kokiri's- he could hear nothing. Navi rose from his shoulder and began floating towards the opposite end of the glade, still listening.

Saria stood up and looked at Link, and then at Navi worriedly. She was about to wave Navi back to them when Navi squeaked and jumped in midair. Both Link and Saria's hearts jumped in their chests and they stared wide-eyed as Navi streaked back and flew behind Link, using his body as a living shield. Link looked back at her, then at the opposite end of the glade. Nerves prickled down his spine.

Six gleaming red pinpoints of light shone from the other edge of the glade. As he watched, they emerged from the trees and became the eyes of three enormous wolves. They slinked closer to the trio, low growls escaping from their throats. Heart racing, Link readied his spear. He stepped between the wolves and Saria and took a defensive stance.

"Get to one of the trees and keep it at your back," Link yelled over his shoulder at Saria. "Don't let them surround you!"

Saria obediently edged back toward the tree, but she was afraid that the wolves were too fast for Link, with his heavy, awkward spear. His shield was useless- two hands were required to wield the weapon. There was nothing to protect himself with if those wolves got through his defenses...

One of the wolves lunged at Link, teeth bared for the kill. Link brought his spear back and turned it around, using it as a club. He stabbed at the wolf in midair with the haft, and caught it squarely in the chest. The wolf flew back and landed on the ground with a thump. The other wolves hesitated, waiting for their fallen comrade to recover. The wolf began to stand on wobbly legs and panted extensively, the breath knocked from it. Link cast a glance about, worried. In the hopes of scaring the wolves away without killing them, he refrained from using the deadlier part of the weapon. But the wolves were intent on their prey. They seemed to be working together to bring them down, and he knew that he stood no chance against the three of them at once. A determined look on his face, Link swung the head of his spear around once again. The deadly point was aimed directly at the wolves, as if daring them to challenge it.

The wolf that he had struck advanced once again, muzzle pulled back into a vicious snarl showing it's sharp yellow canines. This wolf, the largest, was obviously the leader of the three. The others advanced from the back and slowly edged to either side.

Link's mind shrieked danger as he realized that they were intending to surround him and attack all at once. Desperately, he swung at the wolf on the right with the haft of his spear. The wolf immediately leapt back, and the leader lunged forward at Link, claws outstretched. Twirling his spear around, Link deftly aimed the point of the spear at the pouncing leader and stabbed with all his might. He felt the point meet resistance as it ripped through the wolf's flesh, and made a sickly thud as it met bone. The wolf howled in agony, and it's body slammed into Link. Momentum from the pounce carried the wolf, and Link, halfway across the glade, where they landed in a heap on the ground. The two other wolves growled and ran towards Link and their fallen leader.

Shaken but unhurt, Link dragged himself out from under the feebly twitching, stricken wolf and gasped as he saw the red-eyed wolves bearing down on him with murderous intent. He grasped the haft of the spear, which was still imbedded in the wolf and tugged with all his might. The spear was stuck fast, caught between the wolf's ribs. Blood spurted from the wolf's wound as Link wrestled with the spear, trying to pry it free. The wolves bore down on him with frightening speed and Link abandoned the spear and crouched low to the ground. He dearly hoped Saria had time to get away.

He wondered how effective his fists would be against canine teeth, when he saw a blur come up from behind him and stop between him and the wolves. It was Saria. She was standing in the wolves path with her arms outstretched, as if to shield Link with her own body.

"What do you think you're doing, Saria? Are you out of your mind?!" Link shouted at her, stunned. He bounded forward, intent on dragging Saria out of the wolves path when he stopped, mouth agape.

The wolves had stopped, and crouched in front of Saria in submission. She was looking down at them, stark anger showing in her expression. Link looked back and forth between Saria and the wolves and sensed that something was being exchanged between them. A moment passed, and the wolves turned their eyes on Link and he tensed. They stared at him for a second, then growled and slunk back. Before Link realized what was happening, the two wolves were gone, swallowed up once again by the forest.

Saria exhaled and slumped back against Link, her strength seeming to drain away. Link caught her so that she wouldn't fall to the ground, and helped her to sit, crouching beside her. After a while she looked up at him, a peaceful expression on her face.

"I was so scared, Link... so scared... you wouldn't make it. I had to save you, even if I didn't want to show you ...that."

Link held her in his arms and felt her body shaking. After a moment, Saria spoke up again.

"...You killed their father, Link. They told me they won't forget what you've done. If they ever see you again..."

"It's alright, Saria...it's alright." Link crooned, and kept himself from asking how she had conversed with animals.

When Saria had calmed down a bit, Link released her and got up. The whole encounter felt like a dream, and only the dead body of the wolf convinced him that it was actually real. He walked over to the body. Blood was pooled beneath the wolf, and Link once again gripped the haft and pulled. With some twisting and maneuvering, the spear came free, making a sickening suction sound as it slid out. The spear was fully intact, and the blood on the end glistened in the moonlight, seeming to add a wicked gleam to the weapon. He looked with fondness at the weapon he had made, the weapon he had killed with, and hefted it elatedly in the air.

Link felt Navi land on his shoulder and hug his neck tightly. Navi had an excited look on her face and Link knew exactly what would follow that embrace.

"Oooooo, you were so brave!" Navi said, fairly bouncing in her pride and excitement. "Now, that's what I like in a man!"

Link laughed openly, his joy overpowering his sense of caution. Strangely, he felt that the danger was gone, and they were free to travel in peace.

Saria walked up, and she seemed herself again, almost. She looked at the dead wolf with a mixture of sadness and intrigue. Link moved to stand beside her.

"What is it, Saria? Are you still thinking about before?"

Saria tipped her head to one side, indicating the wolf. "His name was Bayne, Link. It's a proud name, isn't it?"

Link nodded in silence, thinking. He hoisted his spear up in the air, and Saria looked at him, puzzled. Link looked at her and smiled.

"I've heard of people naming their weapons, especially in storybooks. Saria, I'm going to name this spear Bloodbayne," Link said happily. "A very proud name, indeed."

Saria smiled her approval and turned back to the wolf's body. Link immediately realized her concern.

"The body needs to be buried, Saria, but we don't have the time right now," Link pleaded. "We'll come back once we've finished."

"Oh, no, don't worry about that, Link," Saria said wistfully. "The moles will do that for us." She gestured a hand at the ground and immediately there was a stirring in the earth around the body. As they looked, the body slowly began to sink into the ground. Link stood amazed.

"How..." Link began, but realized that Saria had moved away from him and began returning her things to her pack. He shrugged and hefted Bloodbayne. Navi was flitting about Saria's head, asking her a multitude of questions. Link smiled at Navi's childish behavior. A thought suddenly came to him and he frowned. He turned to Saria.

"Saria, where's your fairy?"

Saria looked up at him, and quickly looked back down at her half-filled pack. "Oh, you mean Vera? Well, when she found out that I was traveling with you and Navi into the forest, she got very upset. She told me that there was no way she'd travel in that kind of company and that she'd wait for me back at the village. She flew off somewhere, I don't know where." Saria hung her head. "I'm so sorry, Link. I've never felt so ashamed..."

Link put up a hand in protest. "Don't feel that way, Saria." Link grinned up at Navi. "I think we're both used to it by now." Navi bobbed up and down, then flew over to Saria, her light causing Saria to squint.

"Come on, Saria! Link needs your support, not your guilt or your apologies. So perk up, because you make us all feel depressed when you're sad."

Saria looked up at her and giggled, cheered by the fairy's sorry attempt to cheer her up. She turned to face Link, a bounce in her step once again.

"It's not far now, Link. Come on, I'll lead the way this time." Saria turned and walked briskly through the glade. Link and Navi smiled to each other, and proceeded to chase after Saria before she disappeared out of sight.

Rean stepped out from behind the leaf. He crinkled his nose as the metallic smell of blood wafted towards him. He looked down from the branch he was standing on. The dead wolf's body was almost hidden beneath the earth. Rean frowned, suspicious. Even at night, it was odd that the wolves would attack a Kokiri so readily. What was it that made them so aggressive?

Rean would have asked the moles, but they were too dull-witted to glean any important information from, and he doubted that they would know, anyway. Suddenly, Rean's head snapped up as his acute ears picked up a faint sound carried on the breeze. It couldn't be...! Rean leaped up in the air and streaked to the far side of the glade. There was a squeak and a rustling sound as the fairy tried to escape, but Rean was too fast for it. His arm darted out and grasped it's delicate wrist in a vise, pulling the frightened fairy out from behind its cover. Rean gasped, astonished.

It was Vera. She looked wild with her long, shiny, mauve hair straggled, her eyes wide with fear and anger. Rean immediately dropped her hand, looking embarrassed. Vera immediately began combing through her hair with her fingers, trying to straighten her mane.

"Well, Rean, I never expected to see you all the way out here," Vera said, eying him suspiciously.

Rean stepped back from her. "Yeah? Well, I could say the same thing myself, Vera. What are you doing here, and why aren't you with Saria?"

Vera turned to him, hands on her hips. "What?! So you could spy on me, too? I think not!"

Rean gave her a dangerous look and Vera waved her hand at him wearily. "Oh Rean, don't give me your temper. I've got problems enough already."

Rean's eyes narrowed accusedly. "So it was you who set those wolves upon Navi and the others. Why?!"

"What's with the interrogation?! I have my reasons, Rean, not that you," she pointed rudely, "need to know them." Rean's eyes lit up. He knew how to pry the information out of Vera.

"Well, I think I need to know your reasons, Vera. Especially if you want to get rid of the three. I think Mido would be very grateful to have Link out of the way. I was gonna do it, but it seems like you want it even more. What's in it for you?"

Vera sighed and gave in. "You know that I would never harm Saria, Rean. I knew that she would be able to fend off the wolves. I wanted to get rid of that boy and that stupid fairy of his. I certainly did not count on Saria giving away her secret."

Rean nodded in understanding. He knew that Vera and Navi were long-term enemies. But why get rid of the boy?

As if she read his mind, Vera continued. "That boy is always coming between Saria and I. Saria is my partner," she said, vehemently. Rean would have rolled his eyes if he could get away with it. Jealousy and women are a pair, it seemed.

Vera sat down and looked at her hair sadly. "Look what this is doing to me! I'm too beautiful and ladylike to be traipsing through the forest in the dark!" She turned to Rean and batted her eyelashes. "Don't you think so too?"

Rean could have groaned. Vera may be many things, but she certainly wasn't shy. "Y-yeah, sure, Vera. Whatever you say." Vera went on, staring off into space with what she hoped was an innocent but flirtatious expression. After a few moments she glanced around to see how Rean was taking to her charms. She jumped up and stomped one foot petulantly. Rean was nowhere to be seen.

Link strained his eyes and looked past Saria into the darkness. A huge, dark barrier loomed before them, towering as tall as a tree, as wide as it was tall. As they approached it, it was apparent that the wall was formed of thick, twisted vines. Link was about to suggest climbing it when he saw a sliver of moonlight glitter as it bounced off the long, needle-sharp thorns that grew from the vines. Saria turned to him and put a finger to her lips, halting the question that was almost out of Link's mouth.

Link and Navi watched in silence as Saria strode up to the wall of green. She stood in front of it and held out her palms as if to touch the vines, her forehead creasing with concentration. Link edged nearer, attempting to see what she was doing. To Link and Navi's amazement, the vines that were nearest to Saria's hands began to untangle themselves. Slowly at first, but as more of the vines began to unwind, it became a frenzy of movement. Leaves fell in a constant rain on the ground as the thorns ripped them from their stems. The vines themselves whipped through the air as they frantically pulled away from each other. Then, as suddenly as it had started, the movement slowed, then stopped completely.

Saria lowered her hands and turned to Link, beckoning him forward. In front of Saria was a passageway through the barrier of vines. Navi flew up over the wall and disappeared around the other side.

As Link stepped through the barrier, he was surprised to see a silent alcove before him. Moonlight streamed into the alcove, lighting everything in a bright silver light.

Link spun around as he heard a shushing sound behind him. The vines were reconstructing the hole in the barrier at an astonishing speed. Before Link realized what had happened, the vines had completely covered the entrance to the alcove. He and Saria were trapped.

Alarmed, he turned to Saria. She was standing by a clump of bushes over to one side of the alcove, head tipped to one side as if listening for something. Cautiously, Link walked up to her and looked at the bushes. He could see nothing.

"Saria, what is it? Is something there?" Link tentatively asked.

Saria looked up at him with a fearful expression. "It's here, Link. The forest tells me that the treasure's here, but..."

Link peered closer excitedly. "But what, Saria? Come on, let's get it and get out of here!"

Saria shook her head, but she extended her arms once again, and Link watched as she once again called forth her strange gift. The bushes rustled, though there was no breeze. Suddenly, with tremendous force, the bushes ripped free from the ground, pulling up clumps of sod and soil. The plants began to move away, seeming to `walk' with their roots. They moved in opposite directions, and the spot where they had stood had become a gaping hole. Navi flew down and disappeared into the pitch black that seemed to leak from the opening. Her glow disappeared from sight, and Link and Saria looked at each other in concern.

"The treasure is down there, Link," Saria said. "I'm... I'm worried, though. Something doesn't seem right about this..."

Suddenly, Navi decided to reappear. She flew up to Link and waved about excitedly in the air. "This hole is pretty deep, Link. It's so dark down there, if it wasn't for my light, I wouldn't be able to see at all." She paused and thought for a moment. "There is definitely something down there, though."

Link edged to the opening. He peered down the hole, but he could see nothing. He turned to Navi, concerned. "Just how deep is this? Could I jump down safely?"

"It's not too deep for you, but be careful. If you hurt your leg jumping in, you'll never get out."

"Well, there's only one way to find out." Link turned to Saria. "Come on, Saria, I'll help you in."

Saria shook her head and backed away. "I-I can't, Link. I'm sorry, but I mustn't go down there. The forest told me that you have to prove yourself worthy to take the treasure. I can't help you."

Saria looked as if she was about to cry, and Link held up a hand. "Saria, it's alright, really. If you can't, then there's nothing you can do. Navi and I will be back before you know it."

"I'm just so... so scared, Link. It will be hard for you, I know it!"

Link nudged her affectionately. "Hey, have a little faith in me. I'll be alright."

Saria smiled weakly and nodded her head.

Link looked up at Navi. "Are you ready? Let's get this over with." He walked over to the hole and peered in again. Then he straightened up and turned to Saria. He smiled at her, gave her a broad wink, and leaped into the hole. Navi sped after him, her bright light fading fast.

Saria turned away and sat down on a log to wait. She began to sob and hid her face in her hands. She never saw the small globe of ruddy light that streaked down the hole after Link and Navi.

Link squinted as bright light shone in his eyes. He opened them cautiously and saw Navi hovering in front of his face. Long tendrils of grass tickled his skin. He was lying on his stomach in a tuft of long, weed-like grass. He started to get up and grimaced in pain. He lay back down, and collected his thoughts. The fall must have stunned him. Fortunately, the long grass had cushioned his fall and he was relatively unharmed, though a dull ache had spread from his ankles up to his thighs.

"Link, are you alright?" Navi asked, concerned. "You didn't hurt yourself did you?"

Link waved his hand in denial. "Nothing serious."

Navi floated up. "I'll take a look around. Stay there and rest." She zoomed out of sight, leaving Link in complete darkness.

As he lay in the grass, a breeze rustled the tips of the stalks, making Link jump from the sound and the movement. Link scrambled to his feet, ignoring the pain that shot through his legs. The idea of snakes in the grass had spooked him.

He began to hobble on his stiff legs, waving his arms slowly in front of him. He could feel the tips of the grass brush against his fingers. The grass stalks were at least waist high, sharp and stiff.

He looked up as Navi returned from the abyss of darkness, creating a small globe of light which dimly lit up the area.

Link glanced around, taking in his surroundings. He was in a large underground cavern. The stone and soil walls of the cavern rose up infinitely; darkness hiding Link and Navi's true depth. The ground was covered with a sea of grass, shimmering as the stalks were rustled by an strange breeze that seemed to throb on and off. Other than the noise made by the grass, there was complete silence- not even an insect whined in the air.

He saw a small corridor leading out of the cavern, darkness hiding what was beyond it. The cavern was a cul-de-sac; the corridor being the only path that led away from their current position.

Link looked up to Navi and pointed in the direction of the corridor, indicating his desire to proceed. Navi waved and moved ahead, lighting Link's path. Link stepped carefully in the tall grass to avoid potholes and rocks. A broken ankle down here would be deadly.

As he moved out of the cavern, the grass suddenly died off, showing the bare, sandy earth. Link stepped more quickly now that he was able to see the ground. The corridor stretched on and on, the rocky walls extending as far as the circle of light would allow them to see.

Suddenly, Link stumbled and unbalanced, fell to the ground heavily. He heard a faint click as he lay sprawled on his front, his breath knocked from his lungs. As he gasped for air, he heard faintly the sound of Navi screaming, and a strange whistling sound that grew louder with each passing second. Frantically, he pulled his legs beneath him and attempted to shield the back of his head with his arms. With a deafening crash, the impact pounded Link into the ground and stars exploded in his head. When he opened his eyes, vision swimming, a stone the length and width of his torso was resting beside him. It had fallen on him from a trap above, with the intention of smashing his skull in. The rock had instead landed on the shield strapped to his back and rolled away harmlessly.

Link staggered to his feet, head ringing from the impact. Navi zoomed down by his face.

"Oh, Link, are you alright?!" Navi cried, her heart pounding frantically.

Link put his hands to his head in an effort to stop the dizziness. He wavered, unsteady on his feet, but he nodded.

"I- I think I am," Link said slowly, ears still ringing. "That was close!" Navi said, eyes wide with shock. "If it hadn't fallen where it did, you would have been crushed!"

Link walked over to the edge of the corridor and sat down. He felt nauseated and closed his eyes against the light. Navi began to breathe faster, panic setting in.

"We... we shouldn't have come!" Navi exclaimed. She flew down to Link. "It's too dangerous. We're going to be killed at this rate!"

"Saria said it was going to be difficult, Navi," Link said quietly. "I can't give up yet. Not if I want to see the Deku Tree." He pushed himself to his feet with a groan and took an unsteady step forward. Navi made a hasty decision and barred Link's way. He looked up, bleary-eyed.

"There's no way you can continue in that state." Navi said, concerned. "I can help you a little, but..."

She shook her head and placed one hand on Link's forehead. He heard the throbbing again in his mind, but this time, the pain seemed to ooze away from his limbs, and his stiff muscles relaxed. Like fog rolling away, his head cleared and his vision became steady once again. Navi took her hand away, and the throbbing receded.

Link took a cautious step forward, testing his strength, and turned back to Navi excitedly.

"You have a healing power?" Link said, a smile creasing his face. "That's great! How come you didn't tell me-"He stopped as he noticed that Navi wasn't hovering with her usual height and energy. She seemed to sag in the air, and her light had dimmed noticeably.

"Navi...?" Link began, taking a step towards her in concern.

She waved a hand to him in reassurance. "I'm alright, Link. Healing takes a large amount of energy, but otherwise, I'm fine." She paused, thinking. "I only have the strength to heal you once, Link," Navi warned. "You're on your own from now on, so be careful."

Link nodded in understanding and proceeded down the corridor, eyes trained on the ground, searching for more traps. The throbbing breeze had become slightly more powerful, but Link couldn't tell where it was coming from. It made an eerie whistling noise now, as it curled around the rocks imbedded in the walls. Link continued along, and soon he had completely lost track of how far he had gone.

Suddenly, he spotted patches of green growing on the ground and his feet rustled on grass. His head snapped up, looking at his new surroundings. They were once again in a cavern, this one about twice as large as the one he had originally come to be in, with an irregular, but distinct hexagonal shape. The wind had become even stronger, blowing strands of Link's hair away from his face. It made a loud sighing sound as it blew, but stopped altogether after a few moments. The wind would pick up again, and the cycle would begin again; stop and start. Link was bewildered. He had never heard of wind behaving this way before.

The grass was cut short and it seemed well cared for. A stream of silver light, undoubtedly from the moon, cast down into the center of the cavern, shedding just enough light to barely make out its entirety. Link leaned closer and strained his eyes. From within the circle of moonlight, there was a metallic glint. Link and Navi looked excitedly at each other, then back again. This must be what they had been looking for.

The elaborate chest stood in the center of the cavern, in plain view. Link began to hurry towards it excitedly, but stopped as he remembered the perils of traps. Looking around cautiously, he approached the chest, listening for sound of traps being sprung as he went. Not a trap detected, he crouched down beside the golden box and touched it lightly with his fingers. When nothing happened, Link curled his fingers under the lid and pulled up. The lid rattled, stuck fast. Link peered closer and noticed the fine golden lock engraved with a rune that held the contents safe within.

Link reached over and unstrapped Bloodbayne from his back, intending to break the lock by pounding on it with the haft. He lifted Bloodbayne in the air, ready to strike, when he froze.

A loud, guttural, poisonous sigh reverberated throughout the cavern, deep and deadly. Link's eyes grew wide with fear, as shivers of ice coursed up his back to his neck, making his hair stand on end.

A new trap, a death trap, had just been triggered.