Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Nine-
 
Devan went on some sort of skiing trip over the rest of the vacation so Eric didn't see him again until the returned to school.
 
When school started things went back to normal, Eric and Devan ate lunch together, and hung out after school sometimes, though Eric was with Peter a lot after school now since he need more help with classes than previously.
 
After the first few weeks of school, Eric and Peter were in his room, Eric showing him to do some Chemistry equation, when Peter looked up from the book, “You know, winter formal is coming up.”
 
Eric looked at him, “So?'
 
“I think we should go, maybe we could meet some girls or something.” Peter grinned his mind was always on how to find a girl.
 
Eric sighed, he really didn't want to meet any girls or anyone really, but he nodded, “I don't know about meeting any girls, but I'll go.”
 
Peter shook his head, “Man, are you gay or something?” he asked joking.
 
Eric looked trying not to look obvious, even though Peter had gone back to looking at the book. He shook his head looked back down at the book too.
 
*~*~*
 
Eric put on his forensic's cloths as he got ready for the dance. He didn't know who was going other than Peter and he really wasn't too excited about going, but he said he would, was he was going to
.
He brushed his hair out and headed to his car. His siblings were already at their winter formal so he was the only one home as he left. He made sure the door was locked before getting into his car and pulling out of the driveway.
 
He pulled into the crowded school parking lot a few minutes later. He locked his car and looked around the parking lot, dreading all the people that would be inside. He walked across the parking lot avoiding getting hit a couple of times before finally making it to the front door.
 
He gave his ticket to the lady who was at a table and walked on in. There was a place with benches to sit and the concession stand was open. He walked down the hallway until he came to the gym and looked in. There was already a crowd of people dancing, so Eric didn't go in. Instead he sat down on a bench to wait for Peter to find him and drag him in there.
 
After sitting there for ten minutes Peter appeared in front, “Are you just going to sit here all night, or are we going into the dance?”
 
“I'm…ah…in the dance,” he said trying to get out of being pulled into the crowded gym to `mingle' with people he didn't really know.
 
“You're in the area of the dance, but not the actual dance,” Peter said and pushed him up from the bench and walked into the gym, making sure Eric was following.
 
Eric followed Peter reluctantly into the crowded, hot, noisy gym and stood by the wall as Peter walked around the gym looking for someone who would dance with him. Eric watched the people who were out dancing and wasn't paying much attention to anything else. So he was startled when a hand touched his shoulder.
 
He looked over at the owner of the hand to find Devan standing there with some girl who had red hair and light green eyes, wearing a ruby dress that nearly reached the floor.
 
“Devan!” he said, surprised that he was suddenly there. Then he smiled, “Hi…and ah, you are?” he asked the girl to be polite.
 
“Eric, this is Kensie, and Kensie, this is Eric,” he introduced them both.
 
“Eric,” Kensie said, “I've heard a lot…about you,” she said smiling. She really was very attractive, not that Eric noticed, he only noticed that she was being escorted by Devan. He felt a weird feeling in the pit of his stomach when he noticed this fact, but he wasn't sure what the feeling was…could it be…no… He shook it off, what ever it was he didn't like it.
 
“Kensie, well I don't think I've heard anything about you,” Eric said, trying not to sound mean or anything, but it was the truth.
 
Kensie laughed, “I'm not surprised, he doesn't talk about me,” she said, elbowing Devan lightly in the ribs.
 
Devan grinned, “It's not like I'm dating you or anything,” he said.
 
Eric felt the feeling in his stomach again, only stronger this time, at Devan's words. He wasn't sure why he was feeling it…he didn't even want to admit what it was he was feeling.
 
She nodded, “I know, but it's not like you don't know me,” she shot back, “And it's not like you didn't date me either.”
 
Devan shrugged, “Yeah, two years ago,” he said, “Then we split up, and I haven't dated you since. This is just a favor,” he ended.
 
“Yeah, just a favor,” she repeated, then in her head added, to you and your façade.
 
Eric felt the need to get out of there, “I…ah…should probably find Peter before he makes some girl…ah…hate him or something. See you later Devan, it was…nice to meet you Kensie,” he said and headed to the dance floor to locate Peter.
 
Looked for a half an hour and didn't find Peter before giving up and standing at the side of the gym again to watch everyone else dance. He watched the groups of people dance then the couples. He spotted Devan and Kensie dancing close during one of the slow songs and that feeling came back…that…jealousy. This time he had to get out of there.
 
He went out to his car and grabbed a change of cloths and came back in, and changed quickly in a bathroom before heading back out to his car. He started the engine and left, not sure where he was going.
 
*~*~*
 
Devan, who had been dancing but watching Eric, saw him leave and, after excusing himself from Kensie, who rolled her eyes and found someone else to dance with, followed him in time to see him get into his car and drive away. Devan sighed and headed to his car, not bothering to take the time to change.
 
Went the way he'd seen Eric go and wound up at a park. He parked next to Eric's car and got out. It was a bit chilly and looked like it might snow, though it wasn't yet.
 
*~*~*
 
Eric walked threw the park, it was cold and he wasn't wearing a jacket. He shivered a bit and sat down on a stone bench, which was also cold and made him shiver more.
 
He wasn't quite sure why he had needed to leave so quickly, why he had just need to get out of there, away from all the people, away from Kensie, and especially away from Devan. He always felt weird around Devan, not weird in a bad way, just like he felt something that maybe he shouldn't.
 
He acted weird around Devan too. Always blushing and never being able to say things right, even more so than with other people. And he was always confused, like how he felt when the table has squished them together, or how he had felt when Devan had suggested they kiss under the mistletoe, and why had he been feeling jealous when he'd seen Devan with Kensie that night? Could it be…could he really be…in love? And even more, with a guy?
 
Eric sat there thinking this over, wondering about his feelings, about Devan…about how there was no way Devan could feel the same way back, that he was doomed to love someone who wouldn't…couldn't retune that love because he was a guy because they were both guys…when once again a shadow fell over him.
 
Eric looked up to see Devan standing there with an odd look on his face. “Why did you leave the dance?” he asked softly.
 
“I…” Eric didn't know what to say, he sat there and looked at this hands. “I'm confused…I don't know how I feel, and being there, it only made me more confused. Most people don't know I exist and those who do either think I'm a nerd or just want to be around me so I can help them with there homework, and I just…I just don't know what's wrong…why I don't know how to be around people…and then there's you…” he trailed off, this was going a far, more than he wanted to tell him, but he felt…he felt that he needed to…even when he didn't want to.
 
“Then there's me, what about me?” he asked, hoping maybe, he would say what he wanted him to say…that just maybe…
 
“I'm confused around you,” Eric said quickly, “You make me confused and I don't know how to feel, I don't know…” he trailed off, he just didn't know.
 
Devan sighed, this wasn't what he was hoping for, but if it meant what he thought it did…then… Devan sighed and reached down to pull Eric's chin up so he could look at him. He saw the expressions there, the confusion, the sadness, and maybe even the longing. He shook his head and bent closer, sighing again, “You, idiot,” he whispered, his lips centimeters from Eric's, “You still don't get it do you?” And he closed the distance between there lips.
 
Eric was shocked for a moment before his mind registered what it meant. The suggestion under the mistletoe, how his sister acted, even how Devan acted, all in a split second he relised how blind he'd been. Then he noticed Devan's lips again, warm against his, soft…and he hesitantly kissed back, just a little, but enough for Devan to get the message and he pulled back.
 
Devan was smiling, as he felt the snow touch skin, “Are you done being an idiot now?” he asked, still standing there with his face inches from Eric's, his hand still on his chin.
 
Eric, who was blushing, didn't know what to say, and then he smiled just a little, “You know I'm probably not.”
 
Devan laughed and shook his head, “You really are an idiot,” he whispered putting his lips on Eric's again, only this time being more forceful with the kiss, pushing harder and opening his mouth demanding that Eric do the same.
 
Eric did as Devan bid and opened his mouth, feeling Devan's tong slip over his lips and into his mouth. Brush over his teeth and his own tong, before it returned it its owner's mouth and Devan stood up. “We should get out of the cold before you catch something,” he said, grabbing Eric's hand and pulling him to his feet. When he was standing though, Devan didn't let Eric's hand go as they walked to their cars.