Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eleven-
 
They pulled into the nearly full parking lot of Town's Out. Even though it was still early, and the dances weren't over yet, there were still a lot of people there. Eric and Devan got out of there cars at about the same time.
 
Devan walked over to Eric, who was standing by the back of his car waiting for him, and took his hand in his as they started to walk to the door of the restaurant.
 
Eric glanced nervously around, though mostly at Devan, when he took his hand. It wasn't that he didn't want Devan to hold his hand, he actually did want him to, but he wasn't sure what people would…do…think. This made him uneasy since he didn't like people watching him, and he had a feeling this might cause people to take more than just a casual glance.
 
Devan opened the door so they could both enter as Eric was dealing with his thoughts. Devan could tell Eric was a bit uncomfortable by the way kept glancing around and how tight he was gripping his own hand. Devan had to keep himself from smiling as they approached the hostess.
 
“Two?” the woman asked, not even noticing that the two guys in front of her were holding hands.
 
Devan nodded to her and smiled, “Yeah.”
 
“Ok, then fo…” she now noticed they were holding hands, but didn't show it other than the brief halt in the middle of her words, “…llow me.” She picked up the menus and led them to a table. Saying as she set down the menus, “Your sever will be right with you.”
 
Eric and Devan took seats on opposite sides of the tables, letting their hands drop to their sides before sitting down. Eric picked up his menu and opened it, using it to hide his face from Devan, who seemed intent on studying him.
 
Devan laughed lightly at Eric's obvious attempt to hide his face from his gaze.
Eric looked over the menu, “What?” he asked, knowing he was probably laughing at his attempt to hide.
 
Devan grinned at him. “You're so obvious,” he said laughing a little again.
 
Eric put the menu back and muttered, “I'm sorry for not being discreet.'
 
This just made Devan laugh more and pull the menu down, “Why are you hiding, anyway? I'd rather see your face than the front and back of this menu.”
 
Eric blushed as he peered over the menu, which was being held down by Devan, at him. Eric wasn't sure what to say, he knew why; it was mostly due to embarrassment and lack of having any idea what else to do. He didn't say anything as he and Devan sat there is silence staring into the other's eyes.
 
“What's going on here?” asked a voice, and a forehead came into there line of vision. They both blinked and looked over at the obtrusive head.
 
“Molly…” was all Eric could mange to say, since he wasn't sure how to come up with an explanation for his sister.
 
“Molly?” came Devan's questioning voice from across the table.
 
Molly looked at her brother, then took a good look at the person sitting across from him, that she hadn't really looked at previous to interrupting, coming to about the same words he had. “Devan?” she asked, a bit more than a little to find her brother sitting at a restaurant, on the night of a dance, with him and no girl in sight.
 
“Wait…you two…know each other?” Eric asked, thrown a bit by this revelation.
 
“That was my question,” was Molly's reply to Eric.
 
Devan blinked then said, as if just coming out of a daze, “This is your sister?” He'd draw that conclusion in the seconds before.
 
“How do you know him?” Molly asked, “And why are you two here together?”
 
Now that both pairs of eyes were on him, both waiting for an answer, he felt really nervous. More to do with Molly than Devan, but this was still awkward all the way around.
 
“Yeah,” he said to Devan fist, “This is my sister. And…he goes to my school,” he selectively only chose to answer the first part of her question, ignoring the second, so as to avoid increasing the awkwardness.
 
Devan almost wanted to laugh at it all. This girl, annoying, outgoing, obnoxious girl he'd met last year at a competition was Eric's sister? And his once again obvious attempts to hide only in a different sort of way.
 
“And, why are you here? With him?” she asked again.
 
Eric didn't know what to say. It would be really weird to tell his younger sister, `I'm here with him on a date,' and he didn't have a continent lie to tell her either. He looked over at Devan, hoping maybe he did.
 
Devan, seeing Eric's awkwardness at having his sister show up, looked over at Molly, “Why do you care anyway?”
 
Molly glared at him, “I don't really. I was just wondering how my socially inept brother, ended up at a restaurant with a popular guy like you.”
 
“We met at a tournament, and I…took a liking to him,” Devan said with a small smile.
 
Molly made an odd face and Eric wasn't sure what it was suppose to be showing. Eric thought it was either, `why would you take a liking to him' or `in what sort of way did you taking a liking to my brother?'
 
Devan just smiled at her, not making any remark on the look she had given him. He knew what it was about, and didn't feel either confirming or denying her though.
 
Eric just sat there puzzled as his sister and his possible boyfriend stared at each other, the prior looking like she wanted to strangle the later and the later looking about as innocent as he could. As he was attempting to figure everything out, like what his sister was thinking, he heard another familiar voice.
 
“Molly, who are you talking to?” came his brother's voice from behind him. Eric tuned to see Zack walking towards their table. Zack stopped walking when he saw Eric's face. “Oh, hi Eric,” he said, sounding puzzled.
 
“Hey Zack,” Eric answered now feeling even weirder than before. This was just turning into a family get together, one that he didn't want.
 
As Zack got closer he looked around Eric's head to see who else was at the table. He blinked when he saw it wasn't Peter. “Aren't you someone from forensics?” he asked Devan.
 
Devan smiled, at Eric's younger brother. “Yeah, I'm Devan,” he introduced himself.
 
Zack nodded to him. “I'm Zack, if you didn't figure it out. And I'm Eric's brother, if you didn't figure that out too,” he said with a smile.
 
“I had it figured out, but yeah,” he shrugged.
 
Eric then just happened to look down at his watch, “Wait, aren't you two suppose to be at the dance still?”
 
Zack looked at Molly who said, “We got bored so my boyfriend said he'd drive here before everyone else came.”
 
“Where's your boyfriend?” Eric asked, doing the big brother thing.
 
“He's back at the table,” she motioned to a table and a guy and a girl sitting at it.
 
“Shouldn't you be getting back to them?” Devan asked, not wanting to be around Eric's siblings, especially Molly, any longer.
 
“I guess so,” she snapped and turned around and walked off.
 
Eric and Zack were both a bit confused by how she was acting but both were used to her odd behavior so they didn't put too much thought into it. Zack shrugged at his brother before following his sister back to their table.
 
Eric turned back to Devan, “Um, so you already knew my sister…” He said in an unsure, kind of trying to figure out what's going on, voice.
 
Devan nodded, “Not that I knew she was your sister until just now. I met her last year during a tournament. For the most part I ignore or avoid her.”
 
“Yeah, she can be a bit of a pain sometimes…or all the time,” he said with a slight smile.
 
“I'd opt for all the time from what I've seen. But we're not suppose to be talking about your sister,” he said, grinning.
 
Eric's face flushed a little and he put the menu back up, this time actually looking for something to eat, along with hiding he face from Devan.
 
“Will you stop that, didn't I already say I'd rather see your face?” he asked, reaching to pull the menu down as the waiter came over. “Sorry about the wait, can I get you something to drink?” he asked politely.
 
“Water,” Eric responded, not moving the menu.
 
“Ms. Fizz,” Devan told him, not taking his eyes off the menu for too long.
 
“And do you know what you want to eat, or do you still need a minute?” he asked, now starting to get a bit puzzled at the way the two customers were acting.
 
“We still need a minute,” Devan told him, only glancing at him briefly before going back to his stare down of the menu.
 
“Alright, I'll be back momentarily with your drinks and to get your orders,” he said, turning maybe just a little to fast to get away from Eric and Devan.
 
Devan continued to stare at the menu for a time before looking around the table and picking up a syrup container. He looked back at the menu and said, “Eric, if you don't put the menu down, I'm going to pour this syrup on it. It'll end up in your lap…” he paused for a moment then added quietly, leaning closer to the menu, “Then I'll have to lick it up.”
 
Eric blushed and dropped the menu at the same time. His eyes wide as he looked at Devan then the syrup container he held in his hand. “Eh,” was all he could manage to get out.
 
The poor waiter just happened to come back to take their order and Devan was threatening Eric with the syrup. “U…um…can I take…you order,” he asked, trying to act normal.
 
Eric looked over at the waiter before standing up, “I…ah…don't want anything.” He glanced back at Devan before heading to the door.
 
Devan sighed, giving the embarrassed and confused waiter, a sympathetic look of apology before follow Eric out the door.
 
*~*~*
 
He found Eric standing outside the door waiting for him. “We didn't get anything figured out,” Eric said, looking up at the sky again.
 
“Yeah, well, that's your fault,” Devan replied, putting an arm around Eric's shoulders.
 
“You didn't need to threaten me with syrup,” Eric said, almost sounding like he was pouting. Then he remember what the threat had actually entailed, and blushed again. “Ah…”
 
Devan laughed, pulling Eric closer. “It wasn't a threat,” he said softly it was a promised.
 
Eric blushed even more, but hesitantly placed his arm around the back of Devan waist.
 
Devan smiled and reluctantly moved his arm as they came to their cars. “Are you going home?” he asked, meeting Eric's eyes.
 
Eric nodded, looking back into Devan's blue eyes. He felt saying anything might ruin the moment, and with how many moments had already been ruined, he didn't want to do that to another one.
 
They stood there for some amount of time neither one wanted to measure, before Devan leaned forward, kissing Eric lightly on the lips, them murmuring “Good night,” their lips still touching. Then he slowly pulled back, Eric still standing there, and headed to his car, with a happy and content smile on his face.
 
Eric snapped out of his trance like moment after Devan had turned to leave to and said, “Yeah, good night.” He sat down in the drivers seat of his car, and looked up at the clouds, wondering where this relationship he'd suddenly found himself in would end up.