Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of the Soul ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

" Hold my hand and don't let go. Promise me you won't let go."

"I promise. Just don't leave me."

"I can't leave you. I won't let it happen. It's just you and me, and I won't let them take you. Ever."

"…."

"Hold on tight, just hold on. We'll make it I promise. We'll be together forever…"

Dreams. Every night it's the same thing. The same dream, the same voices, no images, just that. Waking with the same feeling of loss and hurt, my heart aching with some long lost feeling I can't describe. It should scare me, but for some reason, I feel like I need for this to happen. I just…need to hear those voices, to feel that emotion that washes over me every time I am awakened by that same dream. It's a need I can't explain, something I just know.

Waking, dreaming, feeling these things I know I should, but scared that I am. I am so lost and alone. What am I supposed to do? Who should I turn to? Why is this happening to me? Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but can you blame me? The say dreams can be a heaven from which you never want to leave, but also can be a hell from which you cannot escape. How right they are…

~~~~~

Why…

"Hey!"

Why can't you answer me?

"Hey!!"

Can't you hear me?

"HEY!"

Can't you hear me scream your name?

"Watch out!"

"Huh?" Famous last words as she felt a huge force hit her body and knock her to the ground. Slight groan as she dared to open those eyes she had shut during the impact. Her palms were bloody from scrapping the concrete, and her rear ached profusely. Resisting the urge to groan again and fall back on the pavement she thought about how it was just her luck to have this happen before Art Club. "Hey…are you okay?" A deep yet very gentle voice softly asked her as she could feel two hands cup her owns delicately. "Let me see…"

Two startled green eyes peered nervously at the two icy blue ones that observed the bloody scrapes that covered the bottoms of her hands and to her wrists. Deep sigh fell from his lips as he looked up at her, a frown creasing that delicately handsome face. "I'm so sorry, I tried to warn you, but I guess you couldn't hear me."

"Warn me? From what?" Her own voice was soft and breathy as a healthy rose blush found its way onto her cheeks as she stared into his face. She inwardly cursed getting distracted by a daydream, those voices that haunted her in the night as well, and let this happen. However gazing at the handsome young man, who wore the same uniform she did, she thought it wasn't too bad.

"Me and my bike. I couldn't get it under control and it just, well…hit you and injured you, well, I did and I'm sorry." He truly looked sorry for what had happened, but it didn't matter to her really. Life always seemed to find a new way to hurt her or make her suffer. Maybe she really was cursed like all the others said she was.

"Oh, it's okay. I'm fine, honestly." She forced her voice back into her control, making sure that it didn't waver like it had before. She offered up a slight smile to show him she was indeed okay, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Your hands…they're bleeding. Here, let me." He tore at his jacket and undershirt, tearing it into little strips and bound her hands. A mix of blue and white, and some crimson that stained it even as he worked it was odd but still matched her school uniform. Still within school dress code.

"Th…thank you." She managed a smile again and a slight bow, but not enough for her pleated skirt to show her underwear thankfully. She looked him in the eye as to be respectful but she couldn't help the quickening of her heart as she let her eyes take in his comely features. Soft eyes, gentle smile, noble features that were still young but yet not child like, it was amazing to see. It was a wonder she never saw him before.

"No, no, it's all my fault. I'm new here and already I hurt someone. I'm such a dork, I'm sorry." He offered a smile that was half-lopsided half lazy, something she could feel was perfect for him, as it was his smile.
"No, it's mine I should have paid better attention I am sorry, for making you crash and your shirt. " She looked down, feeling bad that she had again let those dreams get the better of her. Swallowing past her heart she made a slight move to get away, needing to get to Art Club and afraid of the feelings that now stirred deep inside of her.

He laughed gently and rubbed the back of his head, ruffling the already messy light brown hair that fell around his features. "Well, let's agree to disagree on that one. Hey, where are you going? Maybe I can escort you there? I need to get to know the campus better, plus I don't even know your name." He was sort of surprised at himself at that one, he never felt comfortable talking to girls like this, let alone beautiful ones.

"If you wish." She couldn't stop him and she had a feeling he would follow her anyway so it didn't matter in the least. She offered up a hand to him turning to move toward the arts building of the school. "I'm Kailyn Redrose. " Odd name, odd girl, at least she had always thought so. Too bad most of the population at Paradisium School of Excellence did was well.

Took her offered hand and gingerly shook it a sweet smile on his face. "I'm Hal, Hal Faust."

Shiver ran down her spine as he said his name, like an icy bolt of lightening running through her. Something was dreadfully familiar about him, not just his name but him as a whole, and she could place it. Her hand almost ached as she shook in, not in pain but in something else she couldn't place. It was odd, yet fitting of him. "Pleasure."

"The pleasure is mine." A genuine smile as he picked up his bike which laid in the middle of the walk way its brilliant blue against dull gray. Brushing it off he walked it, since it was ungentlemanly to ride while a lady walked as he watched her start off to where ever she was going. "So, Kai, tell me, how long have you been at this school."

"Too long." Response came, almost automatic now a days coming from being asked too many times. Paradisium was an all in one school, kindergarten to college was all provided here, and it was her misfortune to have been there since the beginning. A college freshman she had dreamed of going away but her parents had not allowed it. Considered one of the best schools in the country it was best in their opinion to stay there. Hated and had much disdain for this school she did her best to just try to live and get out of there.

He laughed obviously not noticing the look of unbridled disgust on her face as his tall lithe frame easily kept to her stride. He smiled lop-sided again as he saw they were headed to the art building. "You're going to the Art Club too?" he asked as the huge brick structure came into view.

"Don't tell me you go as well." She muttered before she thought about it, a bit surprised that he would be into such things. He was huge, well over six foot or at least that height, broad yet still lithe he looked more at home at the sports field then in the art studio. It was true that you can't judge a book by its cover.

"Well the Art Club covers creating writing so I joined. I can't draw to save my life but I love to write." His eyes glowed with inner joy as he spoke of writing. She couldn't help but smile at how cute it was. A little spark of jealously however fluttered around in her mind, jealous that he had inner joy and inner peace she felt she could never have.

"That's wonderful. I love to write too, but I also love to draw. It's what keeps me sane sometimes." Kai sighed heavily as she brushed back a lock of her own wayward hair. Usually the chocolate colored strands were tied into a tight bun at the nape of her neck, but today a simple navy ribbon held back the longest of her bangs and held some other pieces back. Looking more akin to that of a ten year-old then her real age of eighteen years she inwardly cursed her bad judgement of these things.

"I know how that is." He offered a sad smile to her as the came up to the entrance. Chaining up his bike he moved to open the glass door and gave her a small bow motioning her in. Hal watched her gracefully enter the building with an almost effortless grace. His brow furrowed with a thought as he could have sworn he saw this somewhere before, but he couldn't be too sure.

"Thank you." She softly murmured as she walked in, her heels clicking cold against the tile floor. It was huge and wide, tall with vaulting ceilings that perfectly held sound. Artwork hung on all the walls, murals taking up some walls up to the ceiling, elegantly painted by students. To her this was her safe haven for the last 14 years of her life. Every afternoon spent within these walls exploring every facet of the world of fine arts.

Hal was awed at what he saw. Coming from a pretty poor back round the schools he was used to were old and worn down. This was unbelievably new. Gaping at every turn her made sure to keep Kai in his view as he walked the halls with her. "This is amazing."

"Don't get to worked up you haven't even seen the art room we work in yet." In truth it was much better then the cold displays that littered the building. Filled with the warm of creation and devotion to the fine arts it was simply the best place in the world. Just the mere thought of it sent warmth into her heart, a place that lacked it now a days.

Such warmth turned into such cold that it seemingly came from the grave to tear at them. Gasping for breath that was suddenly taken away she clutched at her aching chest and gazed forward. Something was happening and she couldn't put her finger on it. The voices came then. Came like that had never before, louder, clearer, almost as if they were right next to her.

Don't leave me. Please. Don't leave me alone!

It wouldn't stop, it never did, but unlike before it just got louder and louder.

God no! Please…please…you have to hang on…just hang on!

No reprieve, no salvation from the voices this time. The cold became so fierce that she could feel her very heart freeze and her breath caught in her chest. Why…why now?

NO! NO! SOMEONE HELP! PLEASE!!! GOD NO!

She fell to her knees as the world spun around darkness eating away at the corners of it. What…was happening?

CABRIEL!

She couldn't tell if she had shouted it or not, but that time it seemed everywhere, that name. Darkness washed over her head and dragged her under, as the last thing she saw and heard was the rushing up of the tile floor and the mysterious voices.

Gabriel…my love…