Fan Fiction ❯ Never My Destiny ❯ Zelda's Dream ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER FOUR: Zelda's Dream


~~~TEN YEARS LATER...~~~



Sunlight was just beginning to stream in through the window, casting dreamy-looking beams across the room. Dust floating in the air looked like magic as it drifted about through the light, following it all the way down and into the face of the girl.
With a little moan and a frown, she turned over and sleepily buried her head in the silk pillowcase, her blonde hair terribly frizzy and wrapping all around her head and neck. One trembling hand pulled her sheets over her head, and she pulled her legs up into her body to keep them warm in the chilly room.
She cringed as the door slid open with a creaky groan, squeaking terribly as a woman walked in.
"Zelda, sweetheart, time to wake up," Impa said crisply, carrying a small tray with a few items on it and setting on her bedside table.
Impa had grown a great deal in the last 10 years. Tall and fit, the years having had sculpted her body into a muscular fighting machine, her silver hair was still kept in a thick ponytail behind her head and her eyes and face still sported the tattoos of her race. She wore navy shorts, silver body armor with leather straps, and black boots and bracers. A small knife with the Sheikah-eye design was fastened to a holster on her back in case she needed to use it.
"Impaaaaaa..." the princess moaned, one of her bright blue eyes opening enough to glare at her. "Let me sleep more..."
"It's almost 9 o'clock, Princess," Impa laughed, pulling the covers down and off of her. "You need to wake up... There's a lot to do today, don't waste it in bed!"
Zelda sat up lazily, wiping the sleep out of her eyes and untangling her pink silk nightgown from where it had wrapped around her feet. She had grown up into a lovely young lady, with long blonde hair to her mid-back, bright blue eyes like her father's, and an impressive mind. She loved to read and talk more than anything else, and had grown to be quite a storyteller.
Impa folded up a white washcloth from the tray and dipped it in the bowl of water next to Zelda's bed, wringing it out before kneeling down and touching the back of Zelda's neck with one hand. "Sit up, let me wash your face."
Zelda yawned while Impa ran the cloth over her eyes and face, shivering at the coldness of the water. "I had that dream again, Impa..."
Impa handed her a dry cloth to blot her face with, and headed across the room to the closet to get Zelda's clothes. "Which dream would that be, Princess?"
"The one with the clouds," yawned Zelda again, stretching her arms behind her back and dropping the cloth nonchalantly on the tray with the rest of the items.
"Dark clouds over the land of Hyrule?" Impa asked, smiling a little at the princess's tendency to over-dramatize the simplest sentences.
"Yes... And then a white light from the forest with a green and shining stone," Zelda finished, reaching over to the tray and grabbing a glass of water to take sips from.
"You're really worried about that, aren't you?" asked Impa again as she pulled out the princess's usual attire. A white blouse with a beautiful and intricately embroidered pink dress over it, and a 'turban' for her hair.
"Impaaaa," Zelda sighed. "I've had prophetic dreams before... Father doesn't think this one means anything, though..."
"Maybe it doesn't mean what you think, Princess," Impa smiled as she made her way back over, motioning for the princess to stand up with one hand.
Zelda pulled her nightgown over her head, then took her blouse from Impa and slipped it on, pulling her hair through and having it land in a great knot in front of her eyes. "Oh pooh, my hair..." she moaned.
"I'll brush it for you," Impa offered graciously.




Impa and the princess had a special bond between them, one that crossed into friendship, sisterhood, and motherhood at times. Zelda trusted Impa more than anyone else, even her father, and Impa was extremely protective of Zelda.
Zelda was the reason she was still here... Impa was now certain that if Harkinian hadn't allowed her to be the princess's nanny, she would have vanished too, like the rest of her people.
The mystery of what had happened to the Sheikah of Kakariko Village still plagued her from time to time, but Impa found that she'd been able to survive. She was stronger now, because of it. She cherished her life at the palace with Zelda and Harkinian, and she cherished the fact that she was still here.
Harkinian too, trusted Impa with his life. He had his own bodyguards, but Impa was always welcome anywhere she pleased to go, and he gave her anything she wanted. Just the year before, he'd extended to her the title of Guardian of Kakariko Village.
Impa had been stunned to hear the news. The king trusted her enough to give her land of her own- the entire village where she'd grown up, the village she'd left behind when she was brought to the palace.
She'd immediately opened it up to the poor of Hyrule, however. Impa watched over the village from the palace; however, she had left its care in the hands of Hyrule's homeless and needy. She was considered a great, noble woman by all of the new residents of Kakariko, and by anyone who knew her.
Impa had certainly been able to overcome her trials. Though sometimes, she wondered if things would have been different...




"Ouch!" Zelda fussed, one of her hands flying back to block Impa's own hand, holding a hairbrush.
"Move your hands Princess, I'm almost done," Impa scolded, pressing her arm down with her free hand.
"Don't pull so hard..." she whined.
"Don't whine, Zelda. And remember our manners."
"PLEASE don't pull so hard?"
"Much better," Impa congratulated.
"Impa, why do I have to go to the throne room all day today anyway?" Zelda asked childishly, glancing back at her nanny and crossing her hands in her lap.
"Your father is meeting with an important guest from outside Hyrule today," Impa explained.
"Why?"
"I think your father wants to bring them into the Hylian Alliance," Impa answered.
"Who are they?"
"I'm not sure. I've been busy keeping my eye on you," her nanny smiled, placing a bobby pin in her lips with her free hand as she brushed. "Almost done..."
She folded Zelda's cornsilk blonde hair up into a bun, and with her free hand, pierced the bun with another bobby pin. She removed the one in her mouth and speared the bun on the other side, finally securing it up. Then, she reached back for Zelda's turban and placed the band over her forehead, straightening it back and tapping the draping part with two fingers. "There you are. All done."
"I don't want to sit in the throne room all day..." Zelda moaned, leaping to her feet and spinning around. She loved to watch her dress swirl around her feet. "I have better things to do..."
"Like what?"
"Like go to town," Zelda said excitedly. "I saw this beautiful hairpin for sale at one of the shops... It was pearl, with little amethyst flowers up top..."
"Do you have any spending money?" questioned Impa. She'd been trying to teach Zelda not to go crying to her father every time she wanted something.
"Yes, I've saved 54 Rupees in my jar," Zelda said proudly.
"If we have some time this afternoon, I'll take you," Impa offered.
"YAY!"
"If you behave today."
"Awww, but Impaaaaaa..."
"No playing tricks on our guest," Impa scolded. "I'm surprised Big Brother Darunia didn't leave the Alliance when you put Rupees in his food and told him they were candy."
"They WERE candy to HIM," the princess argued. "And he thought it was funny."
"Is that so?" Impa smiled, still shaking her head. "Behave yourself anyway..."
Zelda skipped from stone to stone on the floor, as though she was playing hopscotch. "Father said that we could go to Kakariko this weekend, Impa."
Impa chuckled a little, leaning back on the bed and watching Zelda playing her game. "Is that so?" she said again. "That will be nice... I like to visit Kakariko."
"You were born there, right?" asked Zelda.
"Yes... I lived there until I was 16."
"It's a cute village. I like it there too," the princess giggled. "I like the chickens. I wish we had chickens here in the castle. Can I get a chicken, Impa?"
"I don't think your father would like that," Impa said, standing up and tapping Zelda on the shoulder. "Come. I told your father I'd have you ready in the throne room by 10."
"Impa?"
"Yes?"
Zelda gazed up at her, her eyebrows furrowing a little bit. "Will you please tell Father that you believe me about my dream?"
Impa stopped walking and gazed at her. "Zelda..."
"Please? I really believe in this one, Impa..." Zelda sighed. "And no one believes me... please say you believe me?"
Impa sighed, and kneeled down before her charge. "Zelda, sweetheart... I've always believed your dreams."
"You don't believe me this time," Zelda frowned.
"I do believe you... I just don't want you to go around telling everyone that something bad is going to happen. It might scare them... But I believe your dream does stand for something, though I'm not sure what. Okay?"
"Okay... But tell my father that," Zelda insisted, crossing her arms. "Promise?"
"I promise," Impa smiled, standing up and heading to the door. "Let's go."





Harkinian smiled, and wrinkles ran down his forehead all the way to the bridge of his nose. "Impa, Zelda..."
"Good morning Father!" Zelda waved pleasantly, as the guards on both sides of the red carpet leading to the throne bowed to her. She ran, in a rather undignified manner, all the way down the carpet and nearly tackled her father off of the throne as she hugged him.
"Good morning, princess!" Harkinian chortled (meaning it as a pet name rather than as her title). "Good morning, Lady Impa."
"Good morning, your highness. As I said, she's all ready," Impa smiled, bowing politely to the king.
The king looked a good deal older than he had ten years ago. Now in his 40's, he had grown a thick beard and mustache that covered the top of his lip and his chin. His hair was still radiant and golden blond, going perfectly with the crown atop his head and his red silk robes. Kind-hearted wrinkles from smiling lined the corners of his lips and his forehead.
"We have a very important guest today," Harkinian explained to Zelda as she got off of him and settled down into her own, smaller throne to his right. He glanced at Impa as he went on. "He is the leader of a race that has been outside Hyrule since the ending of the Great War ten years ago. I believe, as we finally extend the hand of friendship to them, that they will be a wonderful addition to our Alliance of Hyrule."
Impa nodded, taking her place to Zelda's right.
"As soon as he arrives, send him in," Harkinian told his head guard, who nodded.
"Yes, your majesty."




Almost on cue, another, lower-ranked guard ran up to the head guard and whispered something in his ear. The head guard muttered something back, and the lower one raced back down the red carpet.
"Your majesty, your highness," the guard said to Harkinian and Zelda. "May I present, in all his excellence, the great King of Thieves..."
Impa felt her heart give a little leap at his title.
It couldn't be...
"... Lord Ganondorf Dragmire, King of the Gerudo."





The door at the end of the hall slid open, and the guards posted around it kneeled as he stepped inside.
Thick brown boots secured with steel black armor appeared. Off-white cloth, decorated with red and blue patterns, was wrapped around his shins. Brown leather armor made up the upper part of his legs, his codpiece and the armor around his chest. A forest green cape, elaborately embroidered, hung behind him and swished as he walked. Black pants and a shirt peered out from below all the armor, and a black iron piece of armor wrapped around his shoulders and neck, ending in a pair of fingerless armor gloves around his thick hands. His skin was olive, and his body was muscular and powerful-looking.
He did indeed look like a King of Thieves. Real gold studs decorated his armor, a huge and beautiful silver and topaz pendant hung from his neck, and single round topaz headpiece protruded from the center of his forehead, framed by his blood-red hair.
His narrow, yellow eyes stared up at the king and the princess as he bowed.
"King Harkinian, Princess Zelda..." he said in a deep, powerful voice.
That's when he caught sight of Impa, standing in shock to Zelda's right. His eyes widened, and he blinked a few times as he rose from his knees.
"Wait..." he mumbled. "You..."
"Lady Impa of the Sheikah, Lord Ganondorf... do you remember her from ten years ago?" asked King Harkinian, smiling pleasantly.




Ganondorf stared her down, so surprised to see her he almost forgot to glare at Harkinian. "Yes... how could I forget Lady Impa?"
Impa was so stunned to see him, she almost forgot to bow. Sinking down, she mumbled, "Lord Ganondorf..."
Ganondorf crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head at her.
"Didn't I tell you to just call me Ganondorf, Lady Impa?" he asked, his piercing yellow eyes raking her body, then coming to rest at her eyes. He smiled... but it looked more like a sneer.
Impa felt her knees nearly buckle, shocked at how different he looked. "I'm sorry. ...Ganondorf..."



"Yes... I must have forgotten when we met 10 years ago..."


*******************



Yeep! I'm so excited! Ganny and Impa together again! -.- Unfortunately, he's corrupted now, and a little bit on the crazy side. How's Impa going to deal with Ganny's new mental problems?! When does Link come into all of this? How long will it be until Ganondorf offs Harkinian? (Not long. ^.~) I actually kicked my own ass hard enough to finish this chapter, so expect another one coming VERY SOON! (Really now, I'll try my hardest. ::salutes:: ) I think Zelda's so cute in this story, don't you? ^.^