Fan Fiction ❯ Objective Legend: The Unknown ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Axel held Danie has they followed the group. She had gotten much quieter since the little incident about an hour earlier. Danie was soon seen leaning her head against Axel's chest sleeping. Axel, on the other hand, began to do some thinking. It then dawned on him on how to cure the girl, which was followed by a thought on why he didn't think of this earlier, or even the others. “Hey, why the hell haven't we used Cure on this kid's wound?” he called up ahead. He soon was answered back by Cloud.
“That seems like a good idea, Axel,” Cloud answered, in a well-hidden sarcastic tone that Axel couldn't pick up.
“And why haven't this came into mind earlier? Instead of sitt-” Axel started, ending rudely until he was interrupted by Cloud.
“We would have if a certain someone didn't leave all the Materia and that junk back in the airship!” Cloud immediately interrupted, covering his sarcasticness. He then sent a hard glare to Zell, which, even from the distance, Axel caught.
“What?!! You f'ing idiot! You left the Materia!” Axel exclaimed, almost dropping Danie in his shockness. He was tempted to punch Zell hard for that.
“Hey I have no idea what that stuff was, you all just tossed it to me. I thought it was for a marble game or something,” Zell replied with an innocent tone. He honestly had no idea they were magic items, until Vincent gave him a long talk about it in the bar. At that time, even Vincent was ticked at him.
“You dolt!” Squall sneered, coming into this conversation. Because he was close to Zell, he hit him upside the head, causing Zell to flinch forward and almost stumble.
During this commotion, Danie began to wake up, just in time to see Zell get hit. She made no noise, only watched what was happening. Yet, slowly, her body began to weaken by the second as blood continued to leave her; her shoulder has been wrapped on their last small break to stop it from pouring out blood and to keep most of it in Danie. “Thank you, Squall!” Axel yelled up to the rest of the group, appreciating the fact that Squall smacked Zell. Squall lifted his hand up for Axel to see, telling that he's welcome. “First Irvine and his little emotional problem, and now Zell with his forgetful problem…” Axel mumbled to himself. He looked down to see Danie staring right up at him. He gave a small smile and asked, “Feelin' better?” He knew that wasn't the “best” question to ask and that she probably wouldn't answer. Danie just looked off to the side depressingly, which made Axel confirm, “I'll take that as a no. Hey hold on in there, we will be there in a minute.”
That remark made Danie feel somewhat better, however seeing the impression on the group when she woke up made her feel insecure with them. She didn't even try to comment on Axel's statement. Something made her want to ask him about what has been going on, but like everyone else, she knew that he would give the same answer- not now. Axel studied her, knowing that something was wrong with Danie, and that something was on her mind. Having a slight hint, he still asked, “Something's bothering you. Care to tell me what it is?” Danie gave no answer, nor did she look at him, which made Axel worry even more.
At that time the group reached a large airship that was hovering over the ground with a rope that was connected to the ship in some way, strong enough for people to climb, and hung over the rail, reaching the ground. One by one the group began to climb up it until the ones on the ground were Axel, Danie, Irvine, Vincent, and Kai. By then that was when Axel and Danie had finally caught up. Kai gave a sly smile before teasing, “What took you two? You didn't do anything to her back there did ya?” The remark made Axel twitch. If he weren't holding Danie, Kai would have found himself eating dirt for saying that. Kai knew he had the advantage, and that was why he said it.
“You know Kai…I have the ability to throw you off the ship. Don't mess that chance up. You know I will do it,” Axel calmly, yet rudely answered. He then placed Danie to where she was standing, weakly, and leaning on him for support. She hadn't even made a peep since she woke up, which kind of worried Axel, even Vincent.
“You two knock it off. You should be agreeing and helping each other until we can get you back,” Vincent snapped. He had had enough of Kai and Axel's bickering. “May we begin to bring her up, or are you two not finished yet!” That was more of a sarcasm demand than a question.
“Whatever,” Kai replied, keeping a rude tone but not like he was with Axel. “Irvine, you go first. I need to make sure you get up there and not do anything stupid.”
“But I was going to ask if h-” Irvine started kindly, but was immediately interrupted by Kai's harsh demand.
“Irvine, GO!”
“I'm going, I'm going,” Irvine mumbled as he started to climb the rope. Kai followed after awhile. He felt kind of bad for yelling at Axel, but didn't even apologize knowing that Axel would never let him forget that he can be a softy, though that really was not true. Axel had the same thoughts in mind. Since the bar, bickering was what the two have done when they talked to each other.
After awhile of making sure that Kai was already up at the deck and was waiting for Axel to bring the girl up, Vincent looked at Axel with a nod. “Your turn. Kai will help you when you reach the top. I'll follow after,” Vincent stated kindly. He helped Axel get Danie to lean on Axel's back. Vincent then whispered into her ear, “Hold on to Axel and you won't fall.” Agreeing, Danie held her hands together around Axel's shoulders and his neck, careful of not to choke him. However, she couldn't put much muscle into it because of her wound and both Axel and Vincent knew that.
Axel began to climb the rope and slowly began to lift off of the ground, one hand going up farther and so on. Vincent waited till Axel was about ten feet up the rope before he began to climb it. He only went last, afraid that the girl would let go of Axel. As of reaching three quarters of the rope, Danie began to loosen her grip; the pain was too much for her. Axel, Vincent, and Kai all noticed as well. Still climbing, Axel pleaded softly to Danie, “Don't let go, Dan…Don't give in...Keep your strength…We're almost there.”
“I……I…can't,” Danie hesitated, trying her best to keep a hold.
“Yes, you can,” Axel answered back.
“Axel! Is everything all right up there?!” Vincent asked, timid of what might happen next.
“Uh…yeah. Everything's fine up here!” Axel replied, though he kind of lied. By his voice, Vincent knew better.
“Axel, if she's gonna past out, she will fall. I need to know ahead of time in case I need to catch her!” Vincent called. Axel didn't answer him back. Instead most of his focus was on Danie.
“Hang in there, Danie,” he whispered, but he knew it wouldn't be long until she passed out. `Damn girl, hang on', Axel thought to himself. He could feel the tenseness in Danie was getting weaker. `Not now, don't give up now'. It was right when he reached the top and Kai offered his hand to help, that Danie was out. Axel felt Danie slipping away from him. As quickly as he could, Axel let go of the rope with a hand and grabbed Danie's wrist. He was two feet away from the top at the moment and he couldn't move up anymore. “Vincent!” he shouted.
Vincent stopped where he was at, seeing the moment Axel had grabbed Danie's wrist. His eyes were wide in shock. Thoughts rushed through his head so fast he couldn't think of anything to do. Kai, on the other hand, rushed all over the deck to find something to help with. It wasn't long till he ran into the ship, yelling, “Cloud, we need help!”
Instantly, Cloud came rushing to Kai, along with Athrin and Yuffie. Kai then explained as quickly as he could what happened. Within minutes of the story, the four were found out on the deck, looking over the rail, trying to figure out how to get the three up. Axel still keep his grip, but not knowing for how much longer he was able to. Vincent, as well, knew that Axel couldn't keep a hold of her forever. He stayed ready for when Axel had to let go. Axel and Vincent looked eye to eye for the longest time. Both were worried about both their lives and Danie's, knowing that not only could Axel not hold onto Danie for a long time, but that they can't hold onto the rope that long as well.
Vincent thought clearly for a moment, letting the thoughts go slowly in his mind, until he confirmed. Yelling as loud as he could for the ones on the deck to hear, “Start pulling on the rope, you can bring us up using that method!” Quickly as possible, the four on the deck ran to the rope and began to pull it, yet they needed about two more people to help as well as another one to lift the ones on the rope in.
“Squall! Felix! Zell! Irvine! Somebody! We need your help!” Cloud demanded loudly. Soon coming out onto the deck were Zell, Felix, and Squall. Without asking or even giving Cloud time to explain, they realized what is happening. Squall ran to the side of the deck while the other two ran to help Cloud and them. The ones on the rope began to pull the rope and slowly brought Axel, Danie, and Vincent closer to the ship.
Squall reached over once Axel was in reached. In response, Axel handed over Danie by the wrist, and Squall brought her up, laying her down on the deck and running back to help the rest. Soon enough, Axel and Vincent were on their feet, standing in one piece on the deck. However, without saying a word, Axel picked up Danie and rushed to an empty room, grabbing some Materia along the way. He knew he had to hurry if she was going to live; she was losing more blood by the minute. Everyone else went to a separate place on the ship, but Kai went straight to where Axel and Danie were. He stood by the door and watched silently as Axel frantically looked for the healing Materia and Danie lying unconscious on a bed. Knowing what Axel was looking for, Kai walked up and took the bag, soon pulling out a green Materia and handing it to Axel. “It's Full Cure, right?” Axel asked. Kai nodded and answered, “After you use it, let her rest to regain her strength.” He then moved to the back wall and leaned against it, watching Axel's movements.
Axel only hoped that it worked and that he wasn't too late. He held the Materia tight in both hands, close to Danie. After mumbling a few words, the Materia began to glow and slowly Danie's wound began to heal. Axel stopped once the wound was fully healed, tossing the Materia back to Kai. Kai caught it without a moment to notice it was coming. Both he and Axel began to leave the room, Axel being ahead. At the door, Axel turned around and faced Kai. “Hey, sorry for being an ass for the past few hours. Too many things have been going on lately, you know. It's been kind of getting on my nerves,” Axel suddenly stated. Not at all surprised at his reactions, Kai smiled.
“Meh, it's okay. No hard feelings. It's the same for me too,” Kai answered. He used one of Axel's words, knowing it, and kind of pushed Axel to the side to get past, knowing what just might happen.
As Kai past, Axel registered what Kai had just said. “Hey…that's my word, Yeritz! Don't taking my fucking words!” Axel then chased after Kai, leaving Danie.
Vincent had just began to past by the room, just in time to see Axel and Kai playing their lovely game of tag. “You two! I said cut it out!” he yelled at the two boys. Yet the two continued their game out onto the deck. Vincent just ignored them and slipped his way into the room, just to see how Danie was feeling. She didn't budge nor make a sound, which informed Vincent that she was resting. He placed one of two glasses on the table next to the bed filled with water. Vincent then placed the other one at another table near the window and a chair. He went up to the book self and picked out a book to read, soon sitting down and reading the book on the chair. For the time being, Vincent was going to watch over Danie to make sure she would be all right.