Fan Fiction ❯ Objective Legend: The Unknown ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You're joking…right?” Danie responded with a sudden shock. What she had heard so far was enough for her to hear.
“Nope,” Kai answered truthfully. He reclined in his chair, just waiting for something interesting to happen next. He looked at her then to Axel, alternating after awhile. Seeing the surprised shock on Danie's face and an ashamed look on Axel's, he couldn't make a remark at this moment, feeling a bit ashamed for not telling her this earlier.
It wasn't long before Danie decided to run out of the room. Axel turned after her but wasn't fast enough to beat her to the door. As Danie left, the door slammed into Axel's face. Kai got up and offered a hand to Axel, who took the offer nicely. Kai then opened the door and halted in the hallway, looking for the girl, hopefully catching the direction she went. With no luck, he turned to Axel. Nonetheless, Axel already knew what was on Kai's mind: split up. With a nod Axel took off in one direction, Kai the other.
 
Danie kept running in the halls, taking whatever hallway that seemed reasonable, hoping that she wouldn't run into Axel and/or Kai again. Unwillingly, she ran into Zell along the way, both slamming hard onto the ground backwards. Zell regained his control and got up before Danie did and looked at her. “Careful there,” he remarked, helping her up. Rudely, Danie broke free once she was on her feet. At this moment, she was almost ready to break down crying. Just as Zell went to ask her on if she was okay, Danie took off once more. Watching her, he took off toward the dinning hall to let the others know.
With one luck of all the doors possible, Danie stumbled onto the bridge. The breeze felt good against her face as she walked to the rail and looked over. At this time, tears had formed and she began to cry very lightly. Why didn't they tell her all this long ago? Thoughts rushed through her head. In minutes, Danie gave herself a splitting headache. She quickly sat down, still leaning against the rail for support on her side. Before she realized it, Danie began to sing, more aloud than to herself, a tune from her world, “In this time are we loving or do we sit here wondering why this world isn't turning around…it's now or never…in this way are we learning or do we sit here yearning for this world to stop turning around…it's now or never…”
“Interesting song,” someone remarked behind her, solemnly and yet almost a whisper. Danie turned around to see Yuffie behind her, smiling. “You'll need to teach me that one. You, Axel, Kai, and Athrin.” Hearing those names, Danie looked off in an opposite direction. Knowing, Yuffie asked, “They told ya didn't they?” Taking the silence as a yes, she continued, “I told Kai he shoulda explained to ya earlier. But no, no one ever listens to me…Well hey, cheer up, girlie. You got me with ya. No guys are gonna ruin our friendship. Plus we can play all the pranks on them…Just the two of us.”
“Will I ever go back? To my world, that is,” Danie asked grimly.
“Of coarse ya will! I'll make sure of that,” Yuffie answered, though she was unsure of the fact, “But first you gotta beat that Ansem guy. Then hopefully you will be able ta go back.”
“…” Danie remained silent for the time. She got up and looked at Yuffie who still had her smile on her face. “Sure I guess I'll do that. Separate these fucking worlds and get it over with.” Stopping suddenly, Danie looked down and added in, “Oh, sorry for the language. It's just that I wasn't ever expecting this to happen and-”
“Heh, it's okay. It's been getting on a lot of people's nerves lately.”
“Then I'll help.”
“Yeah!” Yuffie shouted. She stopped her celebrating suddenly and looked at Danie with a grin. “But there won't be any sad faces…only happy ones.”
“Huh?”
“Smile!”
“…no…”
“Smile now!”
“Oh fine,” Danie mumbled. She gave a small hint of a smile.
“A bigger one than that,” Yuffie encouraged. Danie gave a smile. After the smile, Yuffie replied, “There…that's much better. Now it's time to apologize for whatever you did to Axel.”
“You mean slamming the door in his face,” Danie answered with an evil grin.
“Well, maybe not that one,” Yuffie smirked. “At least apologize sometime while you are here.”
“I think he is the one who needs to do that.”
“Why? He didn't slam a door in your face……..did he?”
“Well, no……he keeps calling me Dan.”
“You don't like that name do ya.”
Danie shook her head no. Yuffie only smiled. She stood next to Danie and looked out at the sky. At this point, Yuffie did some thinking and just out of the blue, she burst out laughing. Danie looked at her oddly and asked, “What's so funny?” Yuffie didn't answer. Instead, she ran back into the ship, laughing her heart out. Danie turned to go after her and figure out why she burst out laughing, but she stopped to see Kai blocking the door. She immediately turned around and went as far as she could to the other side of the deck. Placing her hands on the rail, Danie looked out and tried to act like she was ignoring him, hoping he would just leave.
“Well, at least I know your not dead,” Kai said in a joking matter, trying to get Danie to either laugh or talk to him. He walked up beside her calmly and basically did the same thing as Danie did, only not ignoring her. “I guess us Arizonians aren't much of a friendly type,” he tried making a conversation with her. But unfortunately, it didn't work. Danie just looked at him. She noticed he changed his outfit since last time she saw him. This time he wore something like Cloud's as well as herself, though his was more exact then hers. Kai's hair was straight, reaching about to his ears, and layered. The color was the same as Danie's only with blonde streaks.
Smiling, Kai suggested, “How about this: To make it up to you, I'll be your big brother here. I could be the only person you would talk to through out this whole time we are here and slash or I could help you with any problem you have…Like your lack of smiles.”
“Why not?” Danie gave a sarcastic remark.
“Hey I've read some of your journals online. I know you're having family problems and such. Give me a chance and I can help out,” Kai said softly. Danie thought for a moment to herself. She grimly remembered those journals, she had almost forgot that she sent him and two others an email to those journals since they wondered what was wrong with her. Sadly, she didn't want to remember all that she wrote in them, nor did she want to go back to her home. Kai added in, “Let us all help. You know, just because some people you meet online are random and once you get to know them a bit, they actually start caring on if they don't get an email or something like that. Like me for instance, I was gone for the past few months…….and what Axel and Athrin told me….people where wondering where the hell I was on Shadow-Hill.”
Danie smiled a little before replying, “I'd have to say I was one of them.”
“See…that's what I mean. At least let me help you out while we are here. You don't have to talk to Axel, or Athrin, or Cloud, Felix, or anyone else on this ship. Just me, okay.”
“Sure…I…I guess.”
Kai looked at her and, to his surprise, saw her crying heavily. He knew this wasn't the best topic to talk about, but he also wanted to help her, knowing a bit on how her life was. Danie was leaning on the rail and her head on her arms. Slowly, he put his hand on her back and patted it gently. Without much thinking, Danie forced herself into Kai's care. She quickly put herself into his arms, her's around his waist, and hugged him like it was the end of the world. In response, he hugged her back and placed his head on top of hers. Through all the sobbing, Danie managed to get a sentence out, “Please…. be my….brother…for now…” Kai answered in a whisper, “Don't worry I will.”
“He may be five years older than you, but I'm sure he'll make a good brother,” Athrin stated, seeming to awe at both of them from a distance. He walked over as Danie raised her head and calming down, eyes red from crying. He gave her a soft pat on the back. “I'll also be here to help you.”
“So now we are one big happy family,” Axel teased, leaning against the frame of the door, smiling. “So, are you including me too? Or is Dan gonna ignore me the rest of the way?” He, too, walked over by the group and lowered his head to Danie's height. Panting her head, he grinned and remarked, “Don't forget, I know what happens in that house of yours as well……meh, you gave me the links a few months ago…Don't think I ignored those.” He paused, and Danie didn't say anything but glared, so he continued, “Looks like little Sis needs attention.”
“Don't you dare,” Danie asserted harshly, letting go of Kai and backing off. She did not want to know what Axel was going to do, nor was she going to stick around and wait for it to happen. She noticed then, however, that both Axel and Athrin had changed their appearance as well. They weren't wearing the same clothing as they did when she met them. Axel wore the same thing as Vincent was. His hair was still the same, even black. Athrin dressed like he was a scientist, actually more like Rufus except without the scar and his hair was more of a mix between a brown color and a blonde color.
“You know, we probably should go get some breakfast. It is that time of day,” Athrin stated, passing by Danie with Kai and Axel following him. She let them pass and continued to stay in her place, soon moving to the side and watch as the ground pass by quickly. Before he entered the ship, Axel looked back at Danie and stopped. “You coming?”
“Huh?……Oh…no, I'm fine,” Danie answered, not even glancing back. And because she didn't bother looking back, she had no idea that Axel came up behind her.
“You know, it's going to be cold if you stay out here,” he remarked, wrapping both himself and Danie with his cape, which startled her fully and made her jump. Getting a hold of herself quickly, Danie broke away forcefully, walking to the other side.
“So, then let me freeze,” Danie replied, coldly. She continued to look out, and ignore Axel. In response to her actions, Axel stood next to her and looked at her, but Danie only turned to the side.
“Something's wrong with you, I can tell,” Axel stated, more in a harsher tone than what he previously was in. “Why are you so hard inside?”
“It doesn't concern you,” she answered back, heartlessly. “So back off!”
“No, and yes it does concern me,” he retaliated back with the same tone.
“Since when did you fucking care?”
“Since I had the feeling something was up with you.”
“Just stay out of my life already!” Danie rudely remarked. She turned around and began to walk off.
“No, I want to know what the hell is wrong with you!” he replied, grabbing Danie's arm and pulling her towards him. As he did so, their lips touched and it was dead silence. As much as she wanted to, Danie couldn't push him aside in the moment of shock. After a few seconds on realizing what he was doing, Axel drew back and glared at Danie. Why he did that, not even Axel knew that himself. Danie remained quiet as she just stared at him blankly and thought to herself. What had just happened was clearly over their minds, and Danie couldn't believe she had let Axel do what he just did, even for Axel as well.
Axel looked down for a mere second, before adding in silently, “Sorry.” His hazel eyes were more dominant in their color, more pale. He took off slowly after letting go of her. About half way to the door, Danie stopped him when she spoke suddenly and sternly, “Everywhere I go. Everyone I meet. Every time I try to fall in love. They all want to know…why I'm so broken……why I am so cold……why I am so hard inside…why am I scared……what I am afraid of…” She paused for a little while, not moving from where she stood, looking away from Axel. And then continued, seeing that he had nothing to say for now, “I don't even know! This story never had an end……”
“It will,” Axel interrupted, not even looking back at her. “It may not seem it, but it will. You may seem useless at a time in life, but it's not true… It never is…Trust me on that one, Danie. They all want to know why you're so broken because they care…we all care…I care. You may not know all the reasons, but that's why you have friends for: to care and help you in times of need. Like Phoenix for example. You always talk to him when he's on.”
“Yeah, so?” Danie asked derisively.
“The point is, Danie,” Axel continued, turning to face her wither he could see her face or not, “Friends are there for you no matter what. It may not look like it or feel like it, but they care. True friends will be by your side in any situation, right or wrong. They will cheer you up and all that crud as well.”
“Hey I don't need a shity lecture from some damn, run-mouthed Canadian I barely know,” Danie remarked rudely, yet still in a joking way, with a grin. Axel eyed her for that comment, realizing he finally got to her. He saw the grin off from the side where he stood, knowing it was a joke and decided to play along with it.
“Some damn, run-mouthed Canadian, huh?” he repeated. “What about you fucking stubborn Arizonians? Hell I already know two of you guys. You and Kai.”
“Excuse me?” Danie answered with sarcasm. She turned toward him and glared with a grin, knowing he was playing along. “Me and Kai? Stubborn Arizonians?”
“Dan. You know I was joking,” Axel joked. He walked next to her and stopped. Before Danie could move, Axel picked her up like a small child and began to walk back into the ship. He smiled as he watched Danie struggle free, but have the hardest time.
“Axel, god dammit, put me down! Stop picking me up, you fucking hypocrite!”
“Hypocrite? Me? Dan, you must be mistaken…hehe.”