Fan Fiction ❯ On My Mind ❯ Aragorn: Facing the Past ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Arwen is dying?
 
It cannot be! Elves are not supposed to die of natural causes. Yet I know that Elrod would not lie to me. Unless we banish Sauron's evil from this world, the woman I am destined to marry will perish.
 
I have lived a long time. Not as long as the elves, but long for a man. But never before have I been in a situation so hopeless. Even at Helm's Deep I knew we would survive. I expended Gandalf to come with the sunrise, and he did.
 
But this time even the White Wizard is at his limit. No one has the power to create soldiers from the earth. All the men in Rohan and Gondor cannot face the forces that come from land and sea.
 
It is hopeless.
 
I know we will go down fighting. I expect nothing less. However, as much as it would shock Legolas to hear me say this, I would prefer not to go down at all.
 
There is only one chance. And I am the only person who can take that chance.
 
But it would force me to face what I have been running from all of my life.
 
I must go down the Path of the Dead, and summon the oath breakers whom betrayed Isildur. I will give them one last opportunity to fulfill their vows and give my countrymen their fighting chance.
 
I have always denied who I am. I have never wanted the responsibility I was born with. But the choice of facing my past and letting all my brothers die is not really a choice at all.
 
The time has come for me to reclaim my birthright. The King of Gondor will ride to battle with his friends, his allies, and the ghosts of his past beside him. And we will not fail. We have right on our side and a world to protect.
 
And I will survive, for I finally have a reason to come home.