Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Mystery Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Chapter 1
 
Mystery Girl
 
It was a cold night in August when Phoenix came to Gothem City. This was one of the few times that frost made the city look like an ice kingdom, the bank's clock said that it was 45F. In the midst of this, a girl in her early teens walked alone down the sidewalk on Main Street. Although she was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, she didn't shiver . . . in fact, she was sweating. This girl was Phoenix, although it wasn't her real name, it was the only name she knew anymore.
 
As Phoenix walked past the city bank, she looked inside to see a man holding a gun up to the teller's head. Phoenix pulled back along the door, and waited for the man to come out. When he did, he met a flaming fist in his face, and was knocked to the ground. Before he had time to get up, his arms were tied to a light post with the draw-string from his money bag. Phoenix left quickly, placing the money bag back inside the bank with a white slip of paper that read Phoenix. This was a tradition she had started when her crime fighting career began two years ago. Fight, defeat, and leave quickly with only the tiny scrap of paper left to tell who had stopped the crime.
 
“Titans, go! What the heck?” A black haired boy yelled from the area where Phoenix had been standing before. This was Robin, the leader of the Teen Titans. The Titans were Gothem City's main line of defense against supernatural criminals, but everyone in a while they took on jobs that were too tough for the city's police force.
 
“Whoa, what happened? Did this dude knock himself out and tie himself up to that pole . . . or did he get some help?” This comment was made by Beast Boy, the team's self designated comedian.
 
“I don't think so,” Raven said, picking the small, white piece of paper out of the green bills. “Who ever stopped this guy left this behind. It says Phoenix . . . why does all of this sound familiar?”
 
Phoenix stood smiling in a crowd of civilians that had gathered to see their favorite heroes at work, knowing that it would be nearly impossible for them to discover who she was.
 
“I saw who stopped the bad guy! It was her!” A young child's voice piped up next to her, and pointed at Phoenix. The entire crowd turned to look at the very embarrassed girl, and then in a puff of smoke, she disappeared. The crowd began to panic, because they thought that there was a fire, and dispersed . . . leaving the Titans to discover the identity of the girl, why she was there and how & why she disappeared when everyone knew what she had done.