Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Will She Be OK? ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6
Will She Be Okay?
Phoenix woke up on the floor of a dark, cold cave. “Ow . . . where am I?”
The shadowy figure of a man appeared from behind a rock pillar. Phoenix got ready to attack, despite the pain shooting through her body. “I wouldn't try anything if I was you. I'd destroy you in a fight. The bomb I planted temporarily nullified your powers . . . Convenient for me, isn't it?” The man took five slow steps forward, but Phoenix didn't move an inch. “I'm Slade,” he said “, and you, Phoenix, are going to be my new apprentice.”
“Fat chance,” Phoenix growled “, the Titans told me about you. There is no way I'd become your slave like Robin and Terra!”
“I know your secret. What would your friends say if they knew you killed your family?”
“So, you're going to try to blackmail me? Well, guess what, I've learned to deal with the facts. When that incident happened, I didn't know I HAD powers, so I didn't know how to control them. That's why I've dedicated my life to stopping creeps like you, to keep really bad things from happening to innocent people!” Summoned sparks began to sprout from Phoenix's palms. “I know that you can't stop me, because you're too weak to win somebody over, unless you have some way to grab hold of them. And now I'm going to kick your butt!” The sparks turned into flames, and the flames turned into streams of fire which blasted Slade into the wall.
“You'll pay for that!”
“Just try to make me!”
Slade leapt forward with a metal staff, ready to knock the crap out of the fiery girl, when she turned into her smoke form. Confused, Slade looked around. When he saw Phoenix materialize again, it was too late to stop her. Phoenix was at the exit, then she ran out, slammed the metal door, and welded it shut with a steady stream of flames that was so hot . . . it was white.
Above ground, the boy Titans looked for any sign of Phoenix. “There's been a huge heat surge underground . . . right where Slade had his last hideout!” Cyborg exclaimed.
“Then we'd better go check it out, and hope that it's Phoenix, and that she's okay,” Robin said.
“We'd also better hope that she hasn't made friends with Slade, or we'll be in deep trouble!” Beast Boy added.
At the above ground entrance to the cave, Phoenix was laying down, trying to regain the strength she used to escape. She knew that she was injured and bleeding from all of the glass that came at her when the windows imploded, and the rocks when she fell. I don't think the others will find me. I need to go somewhere where I can get help. Then she lost consciousness.
“There she is!” Robin cried.
“It looks like she's unconscious, but it could be a trick,” Cyborg observed, remembering the fights they'd had with Terra.
“We need to take our chances, it looks like she's bleeding pretty bad,” Beast Boy countered.
“Beast Boy's right, we don't want to abandon her if she's really, badly hurt, just to save ourselves some trouble,” Robin agreed.
When the three got to where Phoenix was, they realized just how damaged her body was, and decided to take her to the Gothem City Hospital.
“Is she going to be okay?” Starfire asked Robin. They were all sitting in the ER waiting room. Raven had regained consciousness, allowing Starfire and herself to go meet up with the rest of the group.
Robin shook his head. “The doctors don't know yet, but they're hoping for the best . . . we should too.”